Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

spareparts2004

spareparts2004

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

I can't find it in my heart to agree with you on the last point. Stir-frying is not very difficult, and though it may sound daunting to make pasta from scratch, there was guidance, equipment, and time. One of the more enjoyable aspects of this show for me has been to see these unsophisticated chefs evolve. You really can't point to too many epic fails. Mostly the errors have been in the first round, and the competitor has sometimes redeemed him/herself on the next challenge.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Bobby mentioned mise en place in the previous episode. This episode and I think the last he talked about balancing flavors. The actual noodle making was largely gimmicky, but it wasn't an elimination challenge and Bobby and Ann focused on even sized pieces and balance in their judging. Also, I think its important to set high challenges especially when there are so many contestants petrified to try or do anything new. Seemed an appropriate reminder to prep properly and to balance flavors, both were carry overs from the first episode. Those two themes married well with the meatball challenge, IMO.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Right and I liked the emphasis on the knife cuts. As a culinary student our first lesson ingrained in us before actual cooking was UNIFORM KNIFE CUTS, knife cuts, knife cuts, knife cuts! And the chef instructors look at them just like that, which is a nice touch for the show.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Bennett seems like a plant, and boy, is he creepy. I keep waiting for Chris Hanson to jump out when he's on screen.

Bennett, I wouldn't have minded him going home last week, except I wanted hipster chick gone so bad. He reminds me of a serial killer with his OTT creepyfest personality, I'm hoping some of that is him acting.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

It's official: I am in love with this show. I was so upset when Erica and Serena were bottom two because those two were the highlights of entertainment tonight.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

I kind of (not really I totally) want Bobby and Erica to have their own cooking show. Sarina can come by sometimes. "Cooking Hates Me" would make a good title.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

I won't miss Erika, I find her to be a little scary. I can't believe Dorothy tried to put vanilla in chicken again, just the thought disgusts me, & I think she would have been gone if Bob wasn't so stupid. When he was cutting up the pepper & in his voiceover said he hoped it was sweet, I was screaming TASTE IT!!!!! TASTE THE STUPID PEPPER!!!!

eggplantasaurus

eggplantasaurus

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

I'll miss Erica dearly. She was the most entertaining contestant.

Cousin Bette

Cousin Bette

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Bobby seems like he wants to teach and have his contestants learn, and a "win" would be a bonus but not the purpose of him being on the show.

Redneon, I totally agree. I saw the show for the first time last night, and Bobby seems like a very warm, nurturing mentor.

Frankly I have never been a fan of Anne in any of the shows she is featured in... I don't know why exactly, but it's never comfortable for me to watch her because she tries way too hard to showcase her personality, or Food Network "brand." Nothing ever feels quite authentic with her.

I may watch again, just to see Bobby. The teaching aspect is fascinating to me (as opposed to simply being a judge and critic), and I am pleasantly surprised at how seriously and almost affectionately Bobby is approaching his role.

Edited by Cousin Bette, Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:25 AM.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I've been a great fan of Anne, but agree that she's wearing thin for me. She is a good teacher, but she's met her match in Bobby. I didn't like Beau, tolerated Robert, but Bobby ... he's a winner!

Lady Miss GL

Lady Miss GL

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

I'll sincerely miss Erika; she was by far the most entertaining contestant to be on the show, ever. Also hard to imagine that Bob (my 2nd favorite, though his palette seems to be telling him some strange things) be tossed after Dorothy/Pinky made Vanilla Chicken for the 2nd time. Ick.
When Anne started blindfolding the contestants, I thought the "game" she was talking about would be a clone of the one on Top Chef every year; I was happy it was not. Too many "cooking challenge" shows try to be Top Chef clones, but I like this one. I'd like to see a QF on Top Chef just like that one, actually.

Yes, Bennett is creepy; he has that sociopathic "trying to mimic emotions I think other people would have in this situation" thing going on. Double ick.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

I have never liked Bobby Flay. He "plays" to whatever TPTB want him to be. When he's on TNNS he's tough and almost rude. On "Throwdown" he can be a cheerful loser. On this show, he's the mentor who jokes with his adoring team. Considering that he's been on more shows than any other FN personality, it's obvious he knows how to play the game.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I didn't realize until last night that supposedly Erica lives really, really close to me. Like I could be walking down the street and run into her on any given day. You can get bet I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for her. If anything, in part to see if she's for real.

I was a little surprised Anne got rid of Bob in that I thought Bob would kind of be her pet for the season, but he did make some really dumb moves last night so it wasn't unwholly deserved. I think it basically boiled down to the fact that both Bob & Dorothy effed up, but Bob's mistake was worse. Why wouldn't Bob taste what he was cooking? So dumb.

I still really need Tiffany to go. She's the only one I'm kind of seeing as a ringer and I would hate to see her anywhere near the finals. She does the woe is me act every time, but then is magically kind of good at everything. Then show her feigned shock when she pulls it off.

I'm still having no problem with Anne on this show. She's acting the same as she always has here.

Lady Miss GL

Lady Miss GL

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

I hope Anne wins the whole shebang for the 4th year in row; I was hoping Irvine, stone cold fox, would be her, but I'm happy she won after all.
I definitely hope she beats Flay; ITA, he always comes off as fake to me, except when interacting w/ Erika. Oh, how I'll miss her.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

TASTE IT!!!!! TASTE THE STUPID PEPPER!!!!

Sorry, Ginandtonic - I couldn't hear you because I was screaming the very same thing at my own television !

Good Lordy, how many times do they have to tell people to taste their food ?!? He would have known immediately that it wasn't a "sweet" pepper if he'd just popped a slice in his mouth. Poor Anne, sweating and gasping for air after the spice bomb went off in her mouth.

On a side note, I hope the production staff knows not to put any REALLY hot peppers in the show's pantry - the kind that can blind you, for example - because they could end up with the first pepper-related fatality in cooking show history.

I didn't like Erica and her shaky, frantic gesturing, as she reminded me of a former spazzy co-worker who used to get so ramped up she'd end up accidently hitting anyone within a 3-foot radius, but after watching her double-dip TWICE in the sauce she made to serve I won't miss her a bit. To be fair, yes, she DID taste her food, but that's not how it's done.

The secret ingredient in your reduction should be dill or sherry or paprika, not your own spit.

Oh, my three picks for the eventual winner, Anthony, Kelli, and Dorothy are all still in (!) but someone needs to tell Dorothy to put her hands up and step away from the vanilla.

Edited by NoPity1066, Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:42 AM.

Anakerie

Anakerie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Every episode, with the way she sounds and acts, Serina reminds me of Fluttershy from "My Little Pony". I keep expecting her to give a meek "yah!" if she's complimented on anything.

Edited by Anakerie, Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Anne completely lost me when she started howling "What are you dooooing to MEEEEEEEEEEEE!" when two people on her team dared be near the bottom of the pizza challenge. She relates all of their performances to her and pleasing her.

Bobby is funny and seems genuinely nice to his contestants - I loved when he asked Sarina if Asian Sensation was her or the dish.

What are all of the cooks' deals with putting giant uncut nuts on all of their dishes?

Tyrone Biggums

Tyrone Biggums

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Someone was asking a couple of pages back about these people being plants.

Kelli is a plant/actress, as well. I'm moving toward "fraud".

Read within...

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Anne completely lost me when she started howling "What are you dooooing to MEEEEEEEEEEEE!" when two people on her team dared be near the bottom of the pizza challenge. She relates all of their performances to her and pleasing her.

Technically though, by losing the challenge, they were hurting Anne in the overall scheme of the competition. By losing, though obviously they weren't doing it intentionally, Anne was going to have to sacrifice one of her more promising players and get one of Bobby's weakest in return. It's part of the game. I don't see the point in pretending there is no game show going on here where ultimately, the recruits need to please both Bobby & Anne, at least to reach the finals. Though Bobby could have saddled Anne with worse than he ultimately did.

Interestingly though, I think Anne has lost this part of the competition in all three seasons. Every season, unless I'm not remembering something correctly, she has had to fork over a competitor to the other chef, despite the fact that she has come up with the win at the end of the season.

All I get out of the link above is that Kelli considers herself an actor to some degree. Oh, and she likes to eat. She says nothing about being able to cook. I guess I expect that some of these folks are actors to some degree, which I don't care as long as they aren't hiding gourmet cooking skills. For some reason Tiffany is the only one that really bugs me to some degree, but that might have more to do with her weird mugging for the camera and that I already disliked her from Amazing Race.

Edited by spanana, Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:39 AM.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

Bob, along with Vinnie and Benjamin, was one of my top three favorites so I was disappointed to see him go. I agree that he should have tasted that pepper but I don't understand how failing to was worse than using vanilla with chicken. Again. After Anne told her not to.

I liked Kelli until I found out she's a reality show veteran so I now hope she gets booted along with Tiffani and creepy Bennett whose first name is really Sean. I expect Sarina won't last much longer and I won't miss that voice at all. Or Dorothy's ridiculous hair.

I've always liked Bobby Flay and I especially like him in this setting. I hope he wins and does the show again next season.

Barb1959

Barb1959

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

After looking at Kelli's link to her blog I will be rooting for her full out. I did get sidetracked and actually read her blog. The woman may not be able to cook, but she can damn sure write.

I have saved her blog and will be checking it out on a regular basis. She is my kind of woman and
I hope she wins, whether she can cook or not.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Feb 28, 2012 @ 5:48 AM.
Removed bold font

OreoCookie

OreoCookie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Technically though, by losing the challenge, they were hurting Anne in the overall scheme of the competition. By losing, though obviously they weren't doing it intentionally, Anne was going to have to sacrifice one of her more promising players and get one of Bobby's weakest in return. It's part of the game. I don't see the point in pretending there is no game show going on here where ultimately, the recruits need to please both Bobby & Anne, at least to reach the finals. Though Bobby could have saddled Anne with worse than he ultimately did.

My problem with that scene was that, I think, Bobby was beating her in terms of losers 3 to 2. She acted like she'd gone 4 for 5, and was in danger of losing. (Tho, in *all* competitions like this, it's *always* a tie. *Always!* What are the odds. (Hint: 100%)

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I still really need Tiffany to go. She's the only one I'm kind of seeing as a ringer and I would hate to see her anywhere near the finals

Oh, man, me too! As soon as I saw her I called shenanigans. And she keeps being just a bit too good.

I'm kind of disappointed to see that so many of these people are from the entertainment industry, no matter how far down the totem pole they are. I really would prefer it if the contestants actually were every day people who can't cook to save their lives.

As much as I usually don't like Bobby Flay, I am enjoying him here. I think he and Anne are really playing off each other well, and Flay seems to be enjoying himself. I really hope it isn't an act, because iif I have to watch a fake cooking show, I at least want to like the hosts/team leaders, .

LaLoka

LaLoka

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

I'll miss Erica dearly. She was the most entertaining contestant.

Me too. She made me laugh out loud.

Gardencrown

Gardencrown

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I still really need Tiffany to go. She's the only one I'm kind of seeing as a ringer and I would hate to see her anywhere near the finals

Must say that we find her clothing choices for cooking a bit...much? I know that I'm always throwing on my low cut sequined shirt before I cook! Last night my daughter said, "Um, her shirt is lower than her apron?" Yikes. Tiffany strikes me as a ringery ringer that rings.

Can't decide whether I want Serina to leave or if she is providing us too much amusement. I confess that we all used "Serina voice" last night around Chez Gardencrown. We're not nice people.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Add me to the list of people who believe Tiffany is one of the ringers. It is so clear that not only is she not a bad cook, but that she actually can cook.

Sarina or whatever her name is with the horrible voice can go anytime with her constant shrieking and inability to do anything, even Bobby said she has shown no growth, is an epic fail and I would have sent her home over Erica who actually tried.

Bob the peppers got you, but as was noted up thread I would send home someone who specifically did something she was told not to more than once, and insists on continuing to do it because she thinks she knows more than you. Ann, you kept kooky over promise, I just hope it doesn't bite you on the butt.

Edited by ChainofFools, Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:21 PM.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I also disagreed with both chef's decisions this week. I also thought that Bob was the one Anne had chosen to shepherd along and develop him, like she did last year with Joshie. If "Pinky" refuses to follow Anne's instructions, can you imagine what she'd do in the grand finale? Maybe she was upset with Bob because he chose a key weapon out of Bobby's arsenal with the chipotle peppers.

Sarina should have gone home. She is so irritating. I thought that both Bobby's and Anne's instructions were very simple and clear. What's confusing about making mashed potatoes? Seeing Sarina struggle with that potato ricer was hilarious. I agree that Erica should have stayed. She seemed to be making progress and the interaction between Bobby and her was hysterical.

I don't know why Tiffani is even on that show. It's very obvious she knows how to cook. Didn't she say during the pizza challenge that her mother was a chef? If that is indeed, true, how could she NOT know how to cook?

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I also disagreed with both chef's decisions this week.

And I agreed with them both. Or, rather, I thought both bottom twos were dead on, and who actually went home was a toss up. I could see good reasons for any of them being tossed.

Sarina might not be trying as hard as she could (with her "poor me, I'm so helpless" routine), but Erica is a total disaster. I think either one would've deserved being booted, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sarina was the next recruit from the blue team to go home. And if Sarina had gone home this week, I'd be betting on Erica to go home next week.

With Bob and Pinky (because I can't remember her real name now) it also felt like a tie to me. Both made mistakes. Both have potential. Both ignored very specific, insistent instructions from Anne. I thought it could've gone either way between those two. The only thing surprising about Anne sending Bob home was that it did look like she was taking him under her wing a little bit. But maybe having her mouth set on fire trumped that.

Didn't she say during the pizza challenge that her mother was a chef?

Having a parent who's a great cook doesn't mean you will be. My mom's an awesome cook. I am passable. I'm not totally hopeless, and I do have some knowledge from helping out in the kitchen over the years. But I'm just not in her league.

Edited by Bitterswete, Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:41 PM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Having a parent who's a great cook doesn't mean you will be. My mom's an awesome cook. I am passable. I'm not totally hopeless, and I do have some knowledge from helping out in the kitchen over the years. But I'm just not in her league.

Children of great cooks may not become great cooks themselves, but they are not likely to end up one of the Worst Cooks In America. They would probably have a better than average sense of what flavors go together and what consistency things should be just from having sampled great cooking all their lives. Plus it would be almost impossible for the child of a great cook not pick up some concept of cooking techniques, unless they never were allowed into the kitchen.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Children of great cooks may not become great cooks themselves, but they are not likely to end up one of the Worst Cooks In America. They would probably have a better than average sense of what flavors go together and what consistency things should be just from having sampled great cooking all their lives.

I know plenty of people who's parents are very good cooks, but who themselves can't boil water. And maybe the reason for that is that they just weren't interested in learning to cook. They didn't spend lots of time in the kitchen, and just didn't pick up those skills. A parent teaching their kids the ins-and-outs of cooking just isn't as common as it used to be.

That being said, I definitely think Tiffany is more competent than the rest. But the thing is that the show isn't trying to hide it. If she were a true ringer, I'd think she'd be putting more effort into looking like a terrible cook, or they'd edit the show to hide her competence. But they've been pretty transparent about it.

I think Tiffany is probably a better cook than the rest, but not a gourmet. As for why she was picked for the show despite not really being an atrocious cook, it might have to do with her having fans from other things that the producers were hoping would tune in to watch.

Edited by Bitterswete, Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.