Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:31 AM

I think she would host a killer bridal shower party! I was uncomfortable seeing her so bitchy.

I didn't find her bitchy at all. In fact I thought she was a pretty good instructor, direct but fair. When weepy Kelly was freaking out about the dish before Anne tasted it she nicely told her to calm down and let her taste it. When she was tasting Eddie's she reminded him that he needs to focus on his dish and not run over to help Hamad no matter how nice of a job that was. She also didn't Gordon Ramsey and flip out when that odd lady with the glasses threw out $40 worth of saffron. Again she calmly explained what a huge error that was and moved on. These recruits have little to no kitchen sense so I think they have to constantly remind them of the rules. As long as there's no berating and name calling I'm all for it.

raisinthesun

raisinthesun

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

I kinda enjoyed this show. I must say what I did find unfair was the challenge to prepare a dish exactly how the expert chefs prepaired it. If they are having trouble with mac-n-cheese and pancakes how in the world are they suppose to prepare these dishes that look complex to me. Other than that it seemed to be an ok show. I was sad to see poor Hamed leave. He seemed like such a nice guy but goodness he was stuggling with his dish. Also what is up with Anne Burrell's hair?! Wow, I couldn't stop staring at it all night.

Edited by raisinthesun, Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:41 AM.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

Also glad that the tall young man didn't get eliminated, I like him, I don't think improper garnish should really be a reason for elimination at this stage.

This is when the show gets all confusing to me. For the chef to get really angry about the way the garnish was done - which had no bearing on the food itself, by the way, as it clearly had problems - does seem to counter the purpose of the show.

Now throwing silverware over your plate? That deserves to get you sent home and her children should be embarrassed.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:45 AM

This is mean, but I can't stand Jenn's voice. That Valley Girl, turning every statement into a question thing is my pet peeve. I hope she goes soon because I can't even listen to her.

raisinthesun

raisinthesun

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

And speaking of annoying voices....

Also glad that the tall young man didn't get eliminated, I like him, I don't think improper garnish should really be a reason for elimination at this stage

Yea thats the guy from Charlotte, NC. I'm a southern gal myself but holy cow that guy's voice got on my nerves! That southern accent was too much for even me to take. No he shouldnt have gone home for decorating a plate incorrectly but if he could just talk less that would be super.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:03 AM

These people scare me. How in the world can people function without knowing at least a tiny bit about cooking? And who doesn't know which end of the asparagus gets eaten and which gets thrown away?

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:14 AM

These people scare me. How in the world can people function without knowing at least a tiny bit about cooking? And who doesn't know which end of the asparagus gets eaten and which gets thrown away?

Food Network's target demographic?

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:14 AM

the woman who kept getting weepy about "I have to stay to learn to cook for my daughter" - I'm sorry, lizamead, but I wanted to shoot her through the tv screen. I'm so sick of people wanting to go on TV for their kids - to be a model or a singer or a dancer or a chef or a designer or hairdresser or whatever. People have been learning how to cook for millenia, get a goddamn cookbook, lady! Or even watch a cooking show, or ask your mother/your m-i-l/a friend to help you, or take a course at adult ed. It's not medical school, you know. I hate her. Hate hate hate. Wow, I'm really not a mean person, but I'm fed up with this teary "for my child" crap on every reality show.

OMG. I was talking out loud at my TV to this woman. I can't stand this person-Rebecca-reminds me of a Melissa but can't cook. Come on lady get a clue and learn something on your own. I guess the show got what it wanted since she infuriates us all. I'm glad turnip girl went home. Alot of frauds here. Anything to be on TV. Never. The girl knew enough to peel the turnip but not to cut it up? Not buyin' it. Asparagus guy is also a fraud. He's on because he has a "partner". And lip gloss girl.........OMG.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:25 AM

The waitress with all the make-up made me think of the retro gal from Project Runway.

Really?! I was getting the Amy Winehouse vibe from her.

I still can't see how they're considering these people the Worst Cooks in America, when my sister is still here in San Antonio. She once confused powdered sugar with AP flour and couldn't figure out why her bacon gravy wasn't getting thick. Needless to say, the microwave is her best friend. She's not some young thing that just doesn't know how, she's almost 50 and I know that our mother did try to teach her how to cook, so I think some of this is willful.

Edited by Silver Angel's Mom, Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:26 AM.

JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:30 AM

The young woman with the glasses and dark hair reminds me of a cartoon character, but I can't put my finger on who.

Agree with whomever said Velma from Scooby Doo. I also picked up a Daria-from-MTV vibe.

She also didn't Gordon Ramsey and flip out when that odd lady with the glasses threw out $40 worth of saffron.

I thought Anne was pretty snarky toward the saffron-wasting woman. "That's $40 worth of saffron you just wasted. Good job!" Then she walked away. Heh.

That said, I thought the level of difficulty of the recipes was somewhat skewed toward failure. Maybe start these people with a lasagna or a stew--something that would teach them layering of flavors with familiar ingredients. If you don't know which end of the asparagus to keep and which end to throw away, you need to start a little closer to ground zero.

I like both Chef Anne and Chef Beau on this show. They have a rough-and-tumble quality that works well together. Plus both would intimidate the s*** out of me, so I can only imagine how these people feel.

Dream Team of judges: Gordon Ramsay, Aaron McCargo, Jr., and Sandra Lee. It'd be a culinary "American Idol." Gordon=Simon: ruthless yet accurate. Aaron=Randy: talks but doesn't say anything. Sandra=Paula: feel-good fluffhead who offers no constructive criticism.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 1:50 PM

I thought Anne was pretty snarky toward the saffron-wasting woman. "That's $40 worth of saffron you just wasted. Good job!" Then she walked away. Heh.

I have the flu, was the whole explanation about food=money a talking head? Because I swore Anne said that to her or said smething about respecting the food.

As complicated as they looked, the dishes really were pretty simple. It was sweat onions+garlic, steam the clams, sautee the shrimp, make broth and combine for plating. Even a lasagna or stew requires they understand what veg cooks faster, and basic prep and seasoning so this was as basic as you get.

breathespink

breathespink

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

I have the flu, was the whole explanation about food=money a talking head? Because I swore Anne said that to her or said smething about respecting the food.

When explaining the ingrdients and telling them how to make the dish, Anne mentioned that saffron is expensive.

Later when big glasses (forgot her name) threw away a BUNCH of saffron when Anne was at her station, Anne made the comment to her about throwing away $40 worth of saffron.

Mr Basset

Mr Basset

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

I still can't figure out when the big glasses girl is a hipster or or just someone with no fashion sense.

I mean, I really can't believe that anyone not eligible to collect social security would willing wear the granny glasses she was sporting.

addicted_aardvark

addicted_aardvark

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 2:30 PM

Food Network's target demographic?

BWAH! I think that describes the show exactly.

Though, people who don't eat asparagus either at all or with any frequency might not.

"Cooking" kinda depends on what you've chosen to do to eat. Ordering out, microwaving frozen or shelf-stable packages, cooking with canned soups, using boxed mixes (cake or mac & cheese). They're all somewhat common choices. It's just that for some folks, those aren't the ONLY methods used. (Once I had a friend over for dinner & she said her sister would be so impressed with me because I made mashed potatoes from ... peeled, boiled, and mashed potatoes rather than from a box. Yet this same friend had grown to adulthood without ever making a frozen pizza. Go figure backgrounds!)

As complicated as they looked, the dishes really were pretty simple. It was sweat onions+garlic, steam the clams, sautee the shrimp, make broth and combine for plating. Even a lasagna or stew requires they understand what veg cooks faster, and basic prep and seasoning so this was as basic as you get.

That's what I was thinking. Shrimp and clams basically tell you when they are cooked. Sweating the vegetables is a needed basic technique - and, as Anne pointed out, you can tell visually if you've done it wrong when they color. And the baby bok choy sure showed you if you cooked it rather than blanching it.

Although at the same time, nearly all the ingredients other than the garlic and onions were likely to be unfamiliar to many people, even some who do know how to cook.

Certainly worth watching some more. So far looks like they won't even need to manufacture drama beyond these cast selections.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

I thought it was pretty funny -- some of those "signature dishes" were a hoot.

And who doesn't know which end of the asparagus gets eaten and which gets thrown away?

This really had me giggling because it started out looking like he knew what he was doing -- neatly cutting the asparagus in thirds. Then he throws the wrong end away! But that really suggests that he's never eaten out anywhere that he's had asparagus, and if he's never used it'd it why pick it?

Still, although it's pretty skewed toward the snark and not the learning, I enjoyed it and some things stood out -- like add small amounts of things like soy or fish sauce and taste because you can add more but can't take it out once it's in, and follow directions if you don't have any experience.

I like Anne but those ankle socks ... oy, vey!!

miss msry

miss msry

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

Betty Paige waitress = 21. She looks at least 31.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

Well she was Mario's sous chef after all.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

Awww... Puds38, you beat me to it! I still don't understand Batalli's Croc's. If I worked in a kitchen, those would be the last choice of footwear I would make.

MissNiecy

MissNiecy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 6:02 PM

Sandra Lee was not in this episode. I'm willing to accept a lot of conceits in reality TVland, but FN needs to deliver what it promises. She was a natural host.

Hell, she shoulda been a contestant.

Refresh

Refresh

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 6:35 PM

Count me as one who kind of loved the show. The signature dishes were hysterical. Some I wouldn’t even classify as “cooking” like Hamad’s soup with packaged shredded cheese. Hee! I mean, at least it wasn’t cold?

I still can't figure out when the big glasses girl is a hipster or or just someone with no fashion sense.

99% sure her style is on purpose and she's a hipster. I mean, she lives in a hipster part of Brooklyn, NY (or used to). Speaking of “Velma” there’s a interview with her in the Village Voice. One thing of note is that the casting call was to learn how to cook from a celebrity chef so that explains things a bit.

I think the recipes they cooked could've been a little difficult if they had no notes to take, but you could clearly see the GIANT chalkboard sign with everything written down. So what they had to pay attention to was cooking indicators and methods, and not recipes. I think that’s a good way to begin. Between reading recipes and watching my Mom cook – that’s how I learned to cook.

I know, right? I think Anne is great… talented and funny. I like her Restaurant Chef show, but man, her clothing is so opposite to her personality it makes my head spin. She's a snarky badass but wears pastel floral skirts and ankle socks. It's so funny to me.

Edited by Refresh, Jan 4, 2010 @ 6:39 PM.

BittyMonkey

BittyMonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

This is when the show gets all confusing to me. For the chef to get really angry about the way the garnish was done - which had no bearing on the food itself, by the way, as it clearly had problems - does seem to counter the purpose of the show.

I think that's because it's considered insulting to a chef to be told to replicate a chef's dish and then you go ahead and "tweak" it.

Edited by BittyMonkey, Jan 4, 2010 @ 6:47 PM.

whydoiwatchtv

whydoiwatchtv

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

I enjoyed the show. Funny, snarky with a dash of cooking techniques thrown in.

Not a fan of Chef Beau. How many times can I hear "That was on the money?" He seemed a lot meaner than Anne, whom I liked. Big Beau was also all about him. My Broth, MY plating. Anne at least gave the cooks some advice while she tasted.

Sparks5478

Sparks5478

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

I'm in the love camp--we pretty much roared (and groaned) all the way through. Can't say that I feel sorry for any of these people because they pretty much knew what they were signing up for, but I do wish there were no eliminations each week so they could all benefit from the experience. Maybe a point system would be better so the two contestants with the highest scores at the end could compete in the final round? Not that we're seeing it, but I have a feeling that "replicate this dish" is probably the end result of some fairly intensive daily instruction--sort of a pop quiz to see what they've learned. And I hope they learn a LOT because some of those signature dishes could really put me off eating.

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 7:39 PM

I thought the show was hysterical! Considering how many people I know who eat out virtually every meal, and the fact that schools no longer teach Home Ec, it doesn't surprise me a bit that there's a growing segment of America who don't know how to cook.

I still don't understand Batalli's Croc's. If I worked in a kitchen, those would be the last choice of footwear I would make.

Really? I love my Crocs! I wear them in the kitchen all the time, mainly because my feet and legs don't get tired. I even bought Croc flip flops to wear during the summer in the kitchen.

For those who said Velma from Scooby Doo, that's exactly what I was thinking while I watched the show!

raisinthesun

raisinthesun

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 7:44 PM

YaY! I'm glad this show is gaining popularity. I was scared this thread would die because nobody watched the show & no one would post about it.

I think the waitress with the tats and love for the 50s is my favorite contestant. I cant remember her name but she seems kinda cool to me. I like her style and she seemed to do pretty well last night so I hope she sticks around for awhile.

Yea the Velma look-alike girl is ok. Thanks for the info from the previous poster; I couldnt tell either if she was dressing like that was on purpose or was she just clueless. =)

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 11:42 PM

The young woman with the glasses and dark hair reminds me of a cartoon character, but I can't put my finger on who.

She actually made me think of humorist Sarah Vowell... or, she strikes me as the kind of character Sarah Vowell would play if this show were totally fake and Vowell were a part of it.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 12:20 AM

I tuned in and enjoyed, liked the premise, liked the selection process, didn't mind the proctoring while the neophytes cooked. Then when the one cook looked at her dish and recognized it was wrong, had too much soy sauce and was otherwise off, then started to arrange a knife over it to try and hide her errors...the shot of the bowl with all that silverware laid on top was when the show had me. This show has me won over, completely. Sundays are good again.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

A combo of Velma and Cathy (from the cartoon)!

I think the recipes they cooked could've been a little difficult if they had no notes to take, but you could clearly see the GIANT chalkboard sign with everything written down. So what they had to pay attention to was cooking indicators and methods, and not recipes. I think thatís a good way to begin. Between reading recipes and watching my Mom cook Ė thatís how I learned to cook.

It seemed they didn't even know how to follow a recipe or have the basic skills. The one guy couldn't even heat up soup!! How's he supposed to make shrimp and clams and broth!

I kinda enjoyed this show. I must say what I did find unfair was the challenge to prepare a dish exactly how the expert chefs prepaired it.

They should take each one of the dishes the contestants prepared and then showed them how to make it good or from scratch. Like real tomato soup, real mac & cheese and take it from there. Giving them a more gourmet dish to make isn't real.

Maybe I'll watch again, but I don't know.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

Every week they'll give them different challenges. It'll be fun if some of them become actually good at cooking by the end.

breathespink

breathespink

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 10:52 AM

Every week they'll give them different challenges. It'll be fun if some of them become actually good at cooking by the end.

I could be wrong, but didn't they say that the boot camp would only be 10 days, and at the end of the 10 days they had to cook for the guest judges? I can't imagine they'd be great at cooking in just 10 days.

Edited by breathespink, Jan 5, 2010 @ 10:52 AM.