Kell on Earth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

547 replies to this topic

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

You love to hate her. Or hate to love her. Or simply love her. Maybe even just hate her. Kelly Cutrone, PR diva extraordinaire in the fashion business, now has her own show on Bravo. Its premiere episode is February 1, 2010 at 10 PM. I, for one, cannot wait. She's such a hard ass on The City, but it's understandable because while the likes of Roxy and Whitney are playing, People's Revolution is Kelly's baby.

Kell on Earth

Edited by fashionista79, Dec 30, 2009 @ 8:14 PM.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

I saw this ad and was thrilled. I love Kelli -- can't wait to see her eat interns for breakfast. Should be an interesting show.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

• Interests:I love my basset hound.

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

This starts Monday and I can't wait! I remember Kelli mainly from the episode of True Life: I'm Going to Fashion Week (MTV followed her then-personal assistant Stefanie, who will be part of the show and is now a Junior Executive). I recall feeling very sympathetic for overworked Stefanie, who always looked exhausted and stressed. I am sure this show will suck me in just like everything else on Bravo.

LeegallyBlonde

LeegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

This should be good. Though I hope Kelli Cutrone will remain true to herself (or rather, true to the self I watched on The Hills and The City). My fear is that she will become a caricature, or beef up the mean screaming because she knows everyone's expecting it. Sometimes in the past I've felt she was at her meanest when she was a subtle, cool bitch. Either way, can't wait!

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

I hope she doesn't become a caricature. Part of me wants to believe that Kelly was extremely harsh with Whitney and Roxy precisely because she sensed they (well, Roxy, really, and Stephanie--can't forget her) had no true aspirations in the field. I think she'll still be a hard ass--it's her business and her name on the line, after all--but because she's working with actual employees that she interviewed and hired (and not folks hired by MTV), the bitchiness will be directed in a much more...constructive way.

lillypforme

lillypforme

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

http://blogs.wsj.com...an/tab/article/

I am oddly fascinated by her.

http://blogs.wsj.com...an/tab/article/

I am oddly fascinated by her.

GabiGal

GabiGal

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

While watching last season's The City, I kept telling my husband that Kelli was the only interesting part of the entire show and they should do a spinoff focusing on her. Somebody was listening! Or maybe I need to go into show business! I can't wait.

Cookie Hoarder

Cookie Hoarder

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 3:40 PM

Are they replacing Rachel Zoe with this? The two concepts seem really similar.

Blue Bonnet

Blue Bonnet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 6:22 PM

I'm so tired of reality TV's glamorization of the fashion PR world - I can't tell you how many 12 and 13-year-old girls I know who tell adults they "really want to go into fashion PR" just because they saw it on The Hills and The City - BUT, as much as I hate this trend, I must admit that I am fascinated by Kelly Cutrone. I'm hoping that this show will be a more realistic portrayal of the fashion PR world rather than just a bunch of girls "working" (a.k.a. playing with their hair and going out to fancy restaurants).

register

register

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

I love Kelly, and cannot wait for this show. That said, I hope I don't end up hating her like I so often do with reality stars.

clairedawn

clairedawn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

I can't stand this woman. My first post-college job in NYC was in fashion and it was full of miserable, bitter, hostile woman like Kelly Cutrone. I mean, don't get my wrong, I loved her sniping at those clueless Hills idiot girls and there are so many annoying, entitled "I work in fashion" PR girls in this city - I think it's cool she puts brats like that in their place. But from what they have shown of her on the Hills and in her new show's previews, she just exudes such a negative, stressed out, scornful presence. I would not want to even be around her in real life, let alone work for her. I have no doubt she is a competent, ambitious, successful person - but my body tenses up and feels stressed out and anxious just seeing her on my tv screen.

Edited by clairedawn, Jan 31, 2010 @ 10:23 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

She looks completely nuts and I can't wait to watch. I too remember Kelli mainly from the episode of True Life: I'm Going to Fashion Week.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2010 @ 11:00 PM

I totally loved it. Count me in 100%.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

Kelly's assistant, Andrew, sounded so much like Santino from season 2 of Project Runway.

Good Lawd! That Chado Ralph Rucci drama was ridiculous! I'm not quite sure what the drama was, but they certainly knew how to make it into a life-altering situation.

Are they replacing Rachel Zoe with this? The two concepts seem really similar.

Rachel Zoe's show is about dressing her celebrity clients while Kelly's show is about public relations during various fashion weeks. Her company does all the behind-the-scenes things related to producing a designer's fashion show.

Edited by fashionista79, Feb 1, 2010 @ 11:23 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2010 @ 11:34 PM

Kelli totally butchered the pronunciation of Keisha Whitaker's first name.

Interesting show. I also remember Stefanie (Skinner, right?) from her episode of True Life.

I'm in for the season.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

Against my better judgment, I have watched the last half of the show on the 2nd airing. I surfed through during the 1st airing and came in at the point where they introduced the black nanny named Nana. You've got to be fucking kidding me!!!

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

I surfed through during the 1st airing and came in at the point where they introduced the black nanny named Nana. You've got to be fucking kidding me!!!

I don't really see the problem. The nanny is probably African or West Indian, and the name Nana is not uncommon in both cultures (I know a few girls named Nana; two of them are Ghanian, the name is not unique there).

Edited by IvyDarling, Feb 2, 2010 @ 12:26 AM.

kittycat2002

kittycat2002

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

I don't see where Kell is especially harsh. She expects people to hold their shit together and she's somewhat arbitrary. Man, I've worked in mental health and I've had many bosses much more mercurial and difficult to deal with than Kell. I do think the hiring of her assistant b/c of his bondage jewelry over her own interns was a little depressing. Over all, I'll probably watch the series.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 1:06 AM

I'm in PR, so I was curious to see if there was more to 'fashion PR' than how it appears from the outside, which is standing around outside a party (or fashion show) with a guest list and a clipboard. That's more of a door man/person or hostess-type job function.

But ... I was starting to laugh out loud by the end. At least half the show was devoted to the angst and trauma of checking off names on an RSVP guest list, and becoming totally undone by the sheer confusion of checking the RSVP voicemail. And failing to correctly do either. Edina on Absolutely Fabulous did more legitimate PR work than this.

They're showing 'fashion PR' thus far as a combo of door person/party planner. Event planning is a separate profession, with its own skill set, but it doesn't require the same level of writing, communication, marketing, etc., as real PR. In other words, Kelly should be able to do an event planners job with ease, but the average event planner should not necessarily be able to do her job. But from what we've seen, they could possibly do it even better, so something seems off here.

But I'm sure we'll see more real skills and other aspects of her job and her company come into play as the season rolls along.

As for Kelly herself, I like her and she also seems like a good parent, which is getting more and more rare on reality TV these days.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

• Interests:Child welfare and social reform

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 4:54 AM

But ... I was starting to laugh out loud by the end. At least half the show was devoted to the angst and trauma of checking off names on an RSVP guest list, and becoming totally undone by the sheer confusion of checking the RSVP voicemail. And failing to correctly do either.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one struck by the ridiculousness of so much angst attached to a mindless, nothing kind of task.

I think Kell should keep her daughter out of the rest of the series. Fine, Kell has introduced the audience to her child, and illustrated her superior mothering skills by giving the girl a 15-second airplane ride, then plopping her on the bed. But that's enough, and I'm not going to think Kell's an exemplary mother figure if she continues to let the cameras intrude on a little girl's life. It's not healthy.

Tiffers4885

Tiffers4885

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 7:41 AM

Perhaps I was primed by the overly processed/makeup spackled ladies of the OC lead in, but geeze, would it hurt any of these people to throw a little mascara on? How about some concealer on those eye bags? I get the point, PR is hard and stressful and exhausting. But did everyone have to look like shit?

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

I think that's an East Coast/West Coast difference. The Housewives in OC feel the need to cake on make-up (and I can't wait to see the ladies of Beverly Hills) while the Housewives in NYC don't wear nearly as much. So, there's that. I mean, this is not to say that women on the East Coast abhor make-up (because we don't!), but, generally speaking, it's not as out there...well, unless you're that one bridal consultant who wears way too much make-up on Say Yes to the Dress.

Countess123

Countess123

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

Perhaps I was primed by the overly processed/makeup spackled ladies of the OC lead in, but geeze, would it hurt any of these people to throw a little mascara on? How about some concealer on those eye bags? I get the point, PR is hard and stressful and exhausting. But did everyone have to look like shit?

LOL, I thought the same thing. And Kelly's hair looks greasy to me. Overall, this show was boring to me which was a disappointment because I liked her on The Hills.

Edited by Countess123, Feb 2, 2010 @ 5:31 PM.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 9:37 AM

Kelly Cutone must be the Ultimate Famewhore, I've seen her on countless reality shows. That said, I ended up liking her! Does she ramp up the drama? But she's the boss, she's successful, and her minions have to deal. I was ready to throttle poor widdle Stephanie, (the one who had to set up the showroom for the designer) when she pouted that after all her "hard work" the designer didn't even go up there! Honey, its called the working world. You don't have to be in fashion to have your boss want you to do something just in case, that wasn't needed in the end. Its being prepared. And now you know what to do next time someone asks you. Get over yourself.

Good Lawd! That Chado Ralph Rucci drama was ridiculous! I'm not quite sure what the drama was, but they certainly knew how to make it into a life-altering situation

Right? I had to laugh. Those kids must think checking the voicemail and taking the down messages is akin to brain surgery or something. And what was Stephanie's problem with the printer? Couldn't she just email the list? There's only one printer? I'm no technical whiz but I thought the whole printer drama was fishy.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

Right? I had to laugh. Those kids must think checking the voicemail and taking the down messages is akin to brain surgery or something. And what was Stephanie's problem with the printer? Couldn't she just email the list? There's only one printer? I'm no technical whiz but I thought the whole printer drama was fishy.

She insinuated that the last couple of columns weren't printing out. Anyone else suspect that since the page orientation was Portrait, the last two columns didn't fit and printed on separate pages at the end? Landscape orientation is your friend. Sad that I thought about it that much.

Skinner threatened to have a nervous breakdown during her True Life episode as well. That poor girl doesn't handle stress very well.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

Ha! The page orientation likely did them in.

Oh, and the fact that both Stephanies were called by their first and last names made me think of elementary school. And of My So-called Life when everyone would refer to everyone else by their first and last names: Jordan Catalano, Angela Chase, Brian Krakow...

This show has Stephanie Skinner and the other Stephanie whose last name I've already forgotten.

Edited by fashionista79, Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:12 AM.

LeegallyBlonde

LeegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

Why the hell is Kelly 'friends' with Ashley Dupre? I thought that was pretty random. Also random that the building with the office is where they live. I think I'd hate not being able to mentally separate myself from my work space.

Agree that everyone looked like shit. I guess I am not into the fashiony world of fashion enough, but none of them looked very stylish. More like wearing a crappy tracksuit and/or tank top with no bra. Forget thinking that anyone brushed their hair or did any kind of grooming. Maybe I am too used to the Lauren Conrad/Whitney Port level of looking put together at a 'fashion' job, but I still think it's pretty weird to be meeting clients, etc. while looking like you just came from the gym.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:37 AM

Agree that everyone looked like shit. I guess I am not into the fashiony world of fashion enough, but none of them looked very stylish.

From what I have observed of the New York Fashion World (purely as an outsider/viewer--big Style with Elsa Klensch fan back in the day) I have frequently found that the women behind the scenes, from the bookers in the model industry, to the designers, and the fashion critics, etc., are frequently very plain women, or tend to be extremely dressed down--I've always been fascinated by this. Of course there are exceptions.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Anyone else suspect that since the page orientation was Portrait, the last two columns didn't fit and printed on separate pages at the end? Landscape orientation is your friend. Sad that I thought about it that much.

Hee! I thought the same thing. Either that or that pesky Print Area function's giving her trouble. But dear me, I think some of the horrific stress is partly generated because everyone is expecting to be under horrific stress all the time. Self fulfilling prophecy.

SunBun

SunBun

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

As plain as she is and as tough as she is, I do begrudgingly respect Kelly. She's obviously worked pretty damned hard to get where she is, and it shows. And I LOVE the fact that she has a rather "no drama" approach to her workplace: if you're dealing with shit outside of the office, get over it, leave it at the door and just do your work. I always cheer for her anytime I see her yell at Whitney and her buds for sitting around yapping about their stupid scripted romantic tiffs while on the job.

Although I have one main complaint about Kelly and her office workers: what is up with the constant cursing? I'm not a prude in the least, but there just seems to be something so crass and severely unprofessional about a boss and her staff always tossing off the f-word and other explitives in a business atmosphere. Maybe I'm just not "fashion" enough to get it.

I'd just like to see some of those workers get some perspective in their lives---for someone who orders her staff to leave their drama at home, she sure seems to inspire constant drama when something naturally goes wrong, God forbid. Good lord, the world is not going to end if you need a few extra hours to figure out the mistake someone accidentally made on the job. I'd really like to see how they'd handle working in a hospital if they think working for a bigtime PR firm is so insanely stressful.

Ashlee Dupree is gross. I really don't think it's a good idea to be hanging out with her like she's cool or something. You can be friendly without getting familiar, so I didn't get Kelly's whole speech about how she was simply being nice to Ashlee---what's the point of even allowing her to hang out at her office? Isn't that a bit much??
It's obvious Ashlee's only chummy with Kelly so she can use her for publicity and crash fashion shows anyway. Kelly's speech about how we're all prostitutes made me wonder about her own past...it sounded exactly like Heidi Fleiss's similar declaration on "Celebrity Rehab."

Edited by SunBun, Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:56 AM.