Four Weddings

• Please log in to reply

2009 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

This is the first episode I actually with all the rankings. Nikki's modest 10k wedding seemed like a joyous celebration. She looked beautiful and happy and I loved both her and her husband's locs. The orthodox bride clearly thought her more expensive venue was a shoe in for the win. The 1940's themed wedding seem to just miss the mark and the dance instructor annoyed me, but I have to admit her wedding was for the most part nice.

I think having 2 older brides and 3 of the budgets a bit closer in range made a big difference.

Edited by Puds38, Mar 19, 2010 @ 11:08 PM.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2010 @ 2:24 AM

A few weeks ago, one of the commercials for Four Wedding included this:

Narrator: Did one bride use an unfair advantage ?
Other brides: She cheated...She cheated...She totally cheated.

However, I have yet to see that episode. Did it air & I just missed it ?

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

I agree that this was the first episode where the show gelled for me. The weddings were all unique and fun, and most importantly, the brides were gracious and had constructive/critical comments without being petty. If they can find more brides like this, I'll keep watching.

Did the bride who won look familiar to anyone. I feel like I've seen her on tv before (maybe as a hitg player on Law and Order or a soap?) I loved how they incorporated the arts into the wedding (although the mimes were creepy). I also really liked Jewish bride. I get grumpy when I don't get to eat every 3 hours, so I liked her good-natured whining about the food.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2010 @ 12:15 AM

I also really liked Jewish bride.

She was the one disliked. Something about her read fake. I can't quite put it in words, but I think she fully expected to win over these budget weddings.

I haven't seen the promo you mentioned, but i think the first episode had a so called 'unconventional bride" who went last. other than her husband wearing sneakers and the fact that she had tattoos, there really wasn't a lot of unconventional at her wedding. she ended up winning and i think some of the brides wondered if she had changed plans after seeing their wedding. i just don't recall the other brides out and out saying that, they didn't question things in their confessionals.

Edited by Puds38, Mar 21, 2010 @ 12:20 AM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2010 @ 9:39 AM

I agree that this was the first episode where the show gelled for me. The weddings were all unique and fun, and most importantly, the brides were gracious and had constructive/critical comments without being petty. If they can find more brides like this, I'll keep watching.

Me too. I liked how the Jewish bride with the biggest budget (7 times that of the winning bride) gave the others pretty high scores (8's for at least 2 of them). Overall, they didn't seem as petty as others in previous episodes. No one complained that the winning bride didn't have a cocktail hour.

I think the right bride won. I loved how her wedding was about celebrating their marriage and not about "look at me, I get to be a princess" Having the performances - they put on an entire show - was unusual, but it seemed to work well, except that maybe the show should have started after dinner.

I loved throwing theme brithday parties for my kids when they were younger, but theme weddings seem odd to me - unless it is a general theme (winter, autumn, beach) or it is a second wedding or renewing of vows. I thought the 40's bride did a great job with her theme, but she should have carried the theme with the music too (especially when no one was dancing anyway).

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

I'm trying to figure out how you would cheat on this show. What unfair advantage is there? Hmm, maybe one of the brides uses the fact that the wedding will be on TV as a way to get freebies from vendors and that's prohibited by the show's rules? That's the only thing I can think of right now.

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

I'm trying to figure out how you would cheat on this show.

I remember in the first preview episode thinking that the bride at the end had enough time to make some changes to her wedding if she saw things she liked/disliked in the earlier weddings. I don't know if they are all consecutive weekends or over the course of a few months, but if the latter is the case that could give the last bride a huge advantage over the first bride. Even with only a week or two notice, you can probably make some small changes. With a longer time, you may be able to change the menu entirely if you hear that the other brides hate x type of food or love y type of food.

I don't think getting freebies would matter much since there is no budget limit or anything that grades you based on the value you got for the money spent. We saw the boat bride who spent $14,000, but I bet she got some sort of discount with the food since her fiance was a chef or somehow working in the industry.

Mellieb

Mellieb

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

I cracked up at the end of the show when one of the brides (I think it was the dance instructor) said "Can you believe we're all married now? When this all started none of us were!". I can't believe the editors didn't take the opportunity to zoom in on 1940's/vow renewal bride who had been married for 25 years.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 4:25 PM

Does anyone know when this show is coming back (or if it is coming back)? It doesn't seem to be on the TLC schedule for the next couple of weeks. They also don't really have a proper page with a lot of information (unlike TLC's other shows).

LuvMuffin

LuvMuffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 4:54 PM

I was wondering what happened to the show as well!

mylittlehipster

mylittlehipster

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 12:22 PM

I bet they're going to can this show. Having to cast 4 brides for every episode must be tiring (I've seen several casting notices around the internet), and then to have to go and film every one of them... sounds like more trouble then it's worth.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 2:19 PM

Comes back in two weeks!

GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

Hope Weak Stomach Barbie got that nausea under control. Good Lord! Everything made her sick. LOVED her shoes at the reception, though.

I actually did like the dress of the bride who said the pizza was "Soopa tacky" (the one she made) just because it fit with her wedding theme. If I saw that hanging on a rack, without the rest of the wedding surrounding it, I would hate it. And I have to agree with her that the delivered pizza was soopa tacky.

I just really didn't end up liking any of those four chicks. Oh, well. Between this and SYTTD tonight, I'm batting .000.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 10:33 PM

I liked Karen's wedding, but was sorry to see her win because I thought she was the bitchiest of the 4. Very snarky and rude.
Hated the dresses at hippie girls wedding. Loved the dress of the bride who made it herself.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:21 PM

I thought the sneakers-wedding girl was the bitchiest. Way to push your own idea of religion and proper wedding decorum down our throats. And then she was CRYING over it? ("your eyes are watery"..."it's just that...I DON'T LIKE IT") Not everyone has an uber-Catholic ceremony. Not every minister is so traditional. I couldn't believe she gave "Barbie" a 2 just for that. Bitch, please....go spring for enough food for your own do'. Oh, and maybe don't call it a cocktail reception if you aren't serving alcohol (was that on the invite I wonder?) or only rationing 1 glass of the finest 'champale' per person. The blonde's reception was the one i'd want to attend the most and I loved her dress , but she was a bit annoying.

I wanted to like the Venetian themed wedding, and good for her for trying to budget (and the table runners.......as well as her dress looked great!) but sometimes you have to spend a little...if only, again, on the food/service! I was also taken aback by guests (even if they were friends and relatives) setting everything up at the last minute like that.

No words about delivered pizza........no words.

Edited by diorella78, Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:36 PM.

kbcubed

kbcubed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

It may be a pet peeve, but it's NAUSEATED not NAUSEOUS.. or maybe it because you were nauseous as well as bitchy and shallow.

But then again I'll bet these people also loose weight when they're trying to downsize.

Edited by kbcubed, Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:01 AM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:47 AM

I just really didn't end up liking any of those four chicks.

Goodness yes! this show came back in a most unpleasant way. I hope they aren't going for train wrecks now. I don't mind low budgets weddings, some can be quite nice. All of these weddings has some level of tackiness about them. Hippie bride; hun tutus are for 5 year olds & ballerinas and you really shouldn't free ball on your wedding. Surprised she went the tutu route and and didn't have something long and flowy as her wedding dress. She could have played the pizza off if it was served on platters instead of environmental unfriendly cardboard delivery boxes. Little Ms Religious show have simply stated she was serving hors d'oeuvres and have an afternoon wedding if you aren't feeding people a meal. I don't have a problem with no alcohol weddings, but don't get all self righteous if others choose to. Ms Homemade gown was my favorite. The messed up PA didn't bother me, but the hair in the food did. Otherwise I would have voted her for the win over Barbie. Barbie just whined and I really only think her wedding looked nice because the others were so low rent. Hated the cutesy names for the tables and the glued on crystals everywhere. The dress was okay, but I wasn't impressed with the dress on her craft project shoes. I've seen better on Say Yes to the Dress. So I think Barbie won by default.

Mellieb

Mellieb

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 1:24 AM

Seriously, WTH did Hippie Bride spend $11,000 on?? Pizzas are $5 each and that hot mess of a dress could not have been more than $50. She didn't even spring for underwear!
Oh and the groom? Should never sing in public again.

TVjunky

TVjunky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 7:36 AM

I only kinda liked the Venetian Masquearde bride. All the others were annoying, rude or tacky, especially the self-righteous Cocktail party bride (someone should tell her the difference between sand and dirt... You are on a beach. Deal with it).

But what I thought sucked the most was the fact that Champagne bride, who clearly was more wealthy than the other brides, won the honeymoon. Don't tell me she needed to get on a show to win a trip! She and her groom had the means, I'm sure of it. She just wanted her wedding showcased on TV. I would really have liked the prize to go to a bride who was not as wealthy...

Hippe bride spent a 11,000 on THAT? She must have had quite the open bar, because I can't see where all that money went. And what kind of self-described hippie is scared of being eaten by racoons, anyway?

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 8:42 AM

All 4 of the brides were bitchy bitchersons but I hate to say I "liked" Karen the best. I would probably hate her instantly in real life but she seemed to pull the other 2 together at the other weddings.

Hippie bride probably dropped a chunk of change on the carousel that we didn't see anyone riding. Because its ever so hippie to ride on a merry go round?

And I give all of your a 2 because you obviously don't take anything as seriously as me. And I need the honeymoon so my first time with my husband is special. Um, sweetheart, the honeymoon is probably awarded weeks after your wedding, I don't think hubbo will wait till you find out if you can do it in Aruba.

lelu

lelu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 9:09 AM

Miilk:

I thought the exact same thing about Ana Maria and her wanting her first time to be special, knowing that those "honeymoons" don't immediatly follow the wedding. My husband and I waited until we were married, and made it as far as the next night (we were completely exhausted on our wedding night). Nobody was waiting til some game show gave us a trip. Something tells me that since they'd known each other since she was 13 and he was apparently 20 (!!!!), he wasn't probably into waiting much longer, either.

I thought the women were all sorta witchy, but I did like DIY Dress bride the most. Her scores seemed pretty fair. I could not believe "I don't know you or your sense of humor, but from all of my life experience at 21 I have decided that you must not take your love seriously and are therefore headed for divorce." Niiiiiice. Grow up, Princess.

That said, I did love her sneakers.

LuvMuffin

LuvMuffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 9:17 AM

Hmmm I wouldn't consider the bride who spent $30k as "wealthy" b/c that's pretty much the average of a wedding. I think she decorated some items herself as well. I actually liked her dress. It was simple but with a twist.

"On average, US couples spend $19,581 for their wedding. However, the majority of couples spend between $14,686 and $24,476."

I liked hers the most along with the $3k wedding (homemade dress). I liked her theme but there were some issues. I liked the venue of the religious bride. I thought that it was sooooooo shallow for her to give the $30k bride a flippin' 2 JUST b/c she didn't like the laughing at the ceremony. That was NOT the only thing that you were supposed to score for the ENTIRE wedding. smh At least the other brides had many reasons to give her a 4. The hippie wedding was tacky but seemed kind of fun.

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

Now, I love the idea of low budget weddings. Have some friends on the beach, order pizzas, make a dress out of toilet paper, whatever. If your friends and family are happy and joyous, go for it.

But this was just fishy. The dresses were Halloween fairy costumes. It was winter, and apparently actually cold, yet they're on the beach? And they had money to rent a merry-go-round? The boyfriend was less of a singer than I am. Something was off here, it was "I wanna be on TV" time. Someone check their wedding license, I'm thinking there was a real wedding Daddy paid for a few months earlier and this one was pretend.

This is only the second time I've seen this show but it strikes me as a dumb premise. Everyone wants something different from a wedding. Some people think food is essential, others think formality. I remember someone on the other one I saw had a Greek Orthodox ceremony and everyone was complaining about 90 minutes of mass. It's ridiculous, if you care enough about someone to attend their wedding, you're probably willing to put up with a 90 minute ceremony because you love them, or you're of the same faith. complaining about religion at a wedding is ridiculous. and I'm big on civil ceremonies.

I think they should have an "expert" panel rather than a bunch of jealous bitches who want to shore themselves up by proclaiming themselves the best, or want to sneer at someone who isn't fine tuned to their own sensibilities.

And they should keep "HI MOM I'M ON TV" types better. Loved the merry-go-round; why was no one on it?

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

Hmmm I wouldn't consider the bride who spent $30k as "wealthy" b/c that's pretty much the average of a wedding. I think she decorated some items herself as well. I actually liked her dress. It was simple but with a twist.

But she spent $30K for 90 people, not 150.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

This is really an odd premise for a TV show. I guess viewers eat up wedding shows, as there are so many now on different channels.

Yes, I agree with sloopster. I think that the weddings should be judged by a panel of experts, as opposed to by the four competing brides.

I guess that of all of last night's weddings, I liked Karen's the best, although I did not care for her or her new husband at all. But Karen's was the most fun and creative.

I was unhappy with Ana Maria's criticism of Karen's humor vows. To each his own. Geez, if at my age (almost 51) were I to finally end up at the altar, I'd probably LMAO during the ceremony. And what was A-M's deal with the non-cocktail cocktail reception? And, on a Tuesday evening?

I was really hoping that Bridget would have won. When she said she was making her own wedding gown, I cringed, but it was absolutely beautiful. The execution and the home-prepared cold food were both bad moves that cast a pall on everything.

I also thought it was weird about the beach wedding. Unless an unexpected cold front suddenly moved through Miami, that made no sense. I liked the cupcakes with the colorful signs that explained the ingredients. The pizza might not have been that bad an idea, if the couple had carried the green/vegan theme and had specially-made pizzas (and keeping the non-vegetarian guests in mind.) I don't think it would have cost that much. Or, at the very least... yes, display the slices on platters and preferably over a sterno warmer. (I know.... blecch.... but at least it would be warm bad pizza...)

There's nothing wrong with budget weddings, in fact, I applaud the idea. So, this show at least makes it interesting to see how each bride interprets that concept.

Liz T

Liz T

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

I'm not someone who would ever allow my wedding to be filmed and criticized just to be on tv. However, even though these women are willing to do that, I can't imagine it doesn't hurt when they see the other women calling their food disgusting or insulting their dresses. The only thing that might make it better is the fact that these are just other brides, NOT experts. Although it might make sense for the show, it seems like a cruel idea to have more objective judges say your wedding sucked.

For the most part, I think the brides are fair. Although sometimes someone like Ana Maria gives a low score for a stupid reason based on personal preference, most of the time I can see where they are coming from.

As far as this episode goes, I was surprised to find that I actually liked Karen. She had a good sense of humor. I wanted the homemade dress woman to win, but I didn't have high hopes based on her low budget theme wedding. Nothing wrong with either, but unless you have the budget to go all out, people probably won't be enthusiastic enough about it to get into character.

Hated Ana Maria's self-righteousness. Might have been easier to swallow if she had been older than 21 with more than one serious adult relationship under her belt, especially as it started when she was a teenager. I am normally confused as to why people don't wait until they have the money to throw the wedding they want, but I can see why Ana Maria's fiance might not have been too keen on waiting another 5 years.

brillia79

brillia79

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 9:27 PM

But she spent $30K for 90 people, not 150.

I don't know for sure, but I've heard that $30,000 is the minimum for a wedding at many venues. For instance, several of the resorts/wedding venues in the Phoenix area have close to $30,000 as the minimum for a wedding with catering and bar service. I'm guessing more guests costs way more money. Crystals, mood lighting, and fabric draping also cost more.

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

I finally watched my recording of this. This is a rough way to start out the season. Two lower budget weddings and two mid-range budget weddings going head to head.

I truly think Karen won simply because she fed her guests hot and tasty food and served alcohol. She did the most basic, yet mindful of her guests' comfort than any of the other brides. Her guests were warm, full, and had alcohol. For me, that's a basic formula of a good wedding.

Self righteous Ana had the lamest cocktail hour reception ever where the food ran out and had one alcoholic beverage per guest. I'm sorry, but I would have walked out of that wedding when the food ran out and no booze was in sight. There's budgeting for a wedding, but her righteousness got in the way of giving a damn about her guests. I truly think that she thought she was so special and important that her guests and their needs were unimportant. Maybe she hasn't attended many weddings and is naive to the whole guests need more than apps sort of thing. Seriously, if this was a heavy apps reception, they shouldn't have run out and bad on the venue for running out. When I got married last year, we made absolutely sure that our buffet would be stocked throughout for our guests comfort. We heard no complaints of no food throughout the entire night. Our guests were well taken care of.

I really liked the homemade dress and her wedding. She really should have sprung for some catering staff for her family to enjoy the day. It reminded me alot of the Bridezilla that bussed her own tables after the wedding and cried doing it.

Pizza wedding: no words.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

Well, I guess if you spend 10 grand more than the other three brides combined, you are bound to win. That is one of the things that is wonky about this show - your venue will be better if you spend more, your food will be better if you spend more, etc. However, I do think the any of the low budget weddings could have won if they had made some relatively monor changes. Need your family to help with the food - have food that just needs to be put out (cold appetizers, coldcuts and cheese, fruit salad, potato salad, etc), not things that need to be heated and then kept warm. Don't want to spring for drinks, don't call it a cocktail party. Have pizza if that is the type of wedding you want, but pay a bit more for good pizza. Don't force your guests to wear white if you have a carousel and are serving pizza. Also - want a beach wedding - postpone it until summer. Okay, maybe there is no chance the beach wedding would have won.

I love the idea of low budget weddings if only because it seems to put the focus back ont he marriage, rather than the party (and I do think it is okay to laugh at your wedding). I think they should have a wedding show where brides spend $5,000 and whoever puts on the best wedding (judges could be newly marrieds, not competitors) wins a honeymoon plus 5 grand to reimburse the wedding cost.

I thought DIY bride said they weren't going to have alcohol at their wedding. Did any of the other brides mention it? I know some had a problem with the lack of spirits at the cocktail wedding, but I don't remember any complaints at DIY bride's wedding.

I am surprised that holier-than-thou bride didn't make a fuss over DIY bride having 2 kids and living together with boyfriend/husband for years before the wedding.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

The hippy bride killed my foodie heart with "the food doesn't matter. nobody will remember it anyway." I certainly wouldn't be feeling the ~peace and love~ vibes if someone served me cardboard tasting pizza in the freezing cold. Blech. I'd take my present off the gift table & go buy myself something to eat

Edited by AllisonJenny, Apr 29, 2010 @ 7:27 PM.