Four Weddings

• Please log in to reply

2009 replies to this topic

Latsmile

Latsmile

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

The JW folks that I know do NOT drink. So Celeste can drink but not go into a church? I call shananigans on that one.

My husband is a JW and they certainly do drink and dance and wear modern clothes, etc. He's gone to maybe two church weddings with me because they were my family members and he knew it was important to me. But we sat in the back because he didn't do any of the mumbling along, stand-sit-kneel, etc. and he didn't want to offend anyone or draw attention. But we've been to plenty of weddings in other venues of various denominations and he was fine going to those and again, not participating in any religious rituals.

At first I was surprised that they cast Celeste in an episode with church weddings but then again I think this show likes to mix things up to show diverse traditions and this was an example of that. As someone above said, she seemed fine with watching on tv and appreciative of their venues, etc. But I didn't care for her otherwise and her dress was way too much. I love that she spent the most money and the only reason she didn't come in last was because of the disaster that was Soo's dress. Does Soo have no one who loves her enough to tell her how wrong that dress was? Yuh, I felt bad for her kid. :-/

Edited by Latsmile, May 9, 2011 @ 2:20 PM.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 11:54 AM

I have to laugh at the contestant in the latest commercials who calls the belly dancer at the wedding "tacky." In Egypt, belly dancers are a traditional part of the wedding reception (though they do sometimes have laws requiring that their midriffs be covered by a sheer fabric.) The tradition started in the days of arranged marriages, when they thought that a belly dancing performance would help the couple "relax."

Ladle

Ladle

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 5:58 PM

Maybe it's just that I hadn't seen the show in a while, but the interactions between the brides seemed really forced this time.

And, red-headed bride, STFU about having "a rough time of it" at the cocktail hour because you're a vegetarian. Your plate was crammed with stuff, and it's a freaking cocktail hour, not a meal. I totally think she lowballed Celeste in the ratings, by the way. Which was sort of okay with me because Celeste grated a little. I hate when skinny girls go on and on about how much they eat. She really seemed obsessed with food. I wondered if maybe she was bulimic or something. (Oops, is that mean?)

I liked Marisol's wedding the best and was glad she was a co-winner. I thought her theme was adorable and it really came together, plus she was cute as a button. I liked Sue a lot as a person, even though I thought the shark tank was gimmicky, and would have been okay with her winning, too. The red-headed woman: eh. I'm just glad Celeste didn't take it.

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

Count me in with those who think Celeste should not have participated in the show if she could not go into the churches to watch the other brides' weddings. I also call BS on what she does and does not observe of her religion. JW's are 'encouraged' to dress modestly, and the over-the-top feather dress was anything but modest. JW's are also discouraged from associating from people who are not fellow JWs as much as possible, so going on a reality show with non JWs to try to win a free honeymoon doesn't seem terribly religious to me. JMO.

To the poster who said the new Timmy's commercial reminded her of this show - me too!!!!!! LOL.

Edited by UsernameFatigue, May 13, 2011 @ 9:49 PM.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

After seeing the two bride tie, I wondered this: What happens if three brides tie, though ? Or all 4 ? Do all of them get the honeymoon then, too ? I know that would raise the producers suspicions about collusion, but I still wonder none the less.

Edited by AllisonJenny, May 13, 2011 @ 10:14 PM.

Latsmile

Latsmile

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Interesting episode and the only name I remember is Winnie. Just to be superficial, her head seemed too small and her face had a very childlike quality, although that could have something to do with how she talked or her behavior. While that may just be who she is and there's nothing she can do about it...I hated her husband's hair! He might have been attractive with a haircut but maybe not. I feel like she had the best food but two out of three of her guests didn't known enough to realize that. I don't have a refined palate but I think I would know enough to up someone's score for quality of food even if I wasn't able to appreciate it myself.

Nice to see a couple of lower budget weddings here that weren't disasters. I didn't like the winner but have to admit that she seems to have had a great wedding considering her budget.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 11:39 PM

You are tied with me Latsmile. I only remember Perkins. (really?) They did have a cute idea with the magazine about their life.

darby astor

darby astor

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 2:15 AM

What I liked about Winnie's wedding was the tasting menu rather than huge plates of dinner, because that's what I was thinking of doing, and her unique but still professional looking centerpieces. I did feel her dress as a little plain but then some brides like a simpler gown style and she ended up changing several times anyway.

Katerina was stunning but I had the same thought as one of the other brides when they said she could have showcased her figure better.

One of the brides had an $8000 wedding but it looked like a lot more so I wonder if she got some stuff comped (besides the jewelry, which was on loan, right?)

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 7:17 AM

The 8K wedding also had a cash bar, which I think is tacky but no alcohol will cut down on costs.

I liked Winnie, her food looked interesting and she seemed pretty nice. The only really negative comment I remember her making was about the belly dancer.

I know Katrina had a small budget but she also only had 30 guests. I'm surprised her food wasn't better.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 10:47 AM

The 8K wedding also had a cash bar, which I think is tacky but no alcohol will cut down on costs.

Super tacky, probably my biggest wedding no-no. I'd have lowballed her for that. If you can't afford booze, don't have booze. You wouldn't have people in your home and ask them to cough up $5 for a glass of wine. I think cash bars violate the rules of hospitality.

I liked Winnie's wedding the best. I am indifferent to flowers so I always like to see how people decorate without an emphasis on them. And I found her halter dress refreshing in a sea of strapless (and I wear strapless dresses but oy, it's getting played out in bridal).

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

I am really getting old. Kateryna seemed like she was way too young to be getting married, and Perkens seemed like a teenager. But then I realized that although I don't think they showed his age, she was 21 and in fact, I was 21 when I got married myself! So I didn't really have a leg to stand on with that complaint. It just made me feel very, very old. Young marriages can work, though - mine did. We were 21 and 23 when we got married - 29 years ago.

I always hate it when they mark brides down for cultural elements in their weddings, like the belly dancer and the dress changing. Just because it's not your tradition, doesn't mean it's "inappropriate" or bad. It's just not your tradition. Get over it. People can be so parochial.

Edited by Kathira, May 15, 2011 @ 3:27 PM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 4:04 PM

But then I realized that although I don't think they showed [Perkins'] age

I think they did - IIRC he was 28. He did look young, though, with his baseball cap. But I found his "I love her so much!" to be earnest and genuine. I don't think any of the brides this ep were older than 26.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

But I found his "I love her so much!" to be earnest and genuine.

Yeah, for some reason I thought he and Kateryna were so freaking cute together. They seemed very happy and in love (I mean I'm sure all these couples are, but out of all the couples I've seen on this show those two seemed to show it most).
I also loved when they did that question thing (I've never seen anything like that and thought it was cute) and asked who had the better smile and they both answered that the other did. Awww! (I'd probably say that's the cutest wedding moment I ever saw if I hadn't watched my cousin and his wife have their first dance with their two kids at their wedding last week. Lol but he's my cousin so I'm biased.)

Did Jenny's venue make anybody else want to go try some of her family's tropical fruit wine? I've never even heard of such a thing but it sounds delicious!

Edited by emjay1116, May 15, 2011 @ 5:17 PM.

sprezzatura1018

sprezzatura1018

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

The Four Weddings episode with two winners was kind of weird in that one bride couldn't attend two of the ceremonies because of her beliefs (leave it to the Jehovah's Witness cult to exclude other religious ceremonies), and another bride couldn't attend two of the entire weddings - ceremony/reception. I mean, how can you accurately vote on the weddings if you miss huge chunks? I realize they gave one bride a TV of the ceremonies and the other had a "stand in," but it still seems weird.
All in all, however, I'd say the two best weddings took the prize. Celeste's DIY dress was hideous, IMO, but Soo really took the cake for the ugliest/most inappropriate dress. I'd imagine her 12 y/o son was mortified to dance with his mother who was wearing a dress with her boobs and stomach popping out. Also, Celeste really gave low scores which seemed like she was being a poor sport.

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 7:46 PM

I liked Winnie's wedding the best with her tasting menu. I also thought that Katerina and her husband were freakin' adorable. This time around, I didn't like the winner Kira (sp?). She lowballed all of the weddings based on food alone. Yes, you're a vegetarian, we get it. Stop saying it at each and every wedding. It made her come off as whiny and bitchy. Her wedding seemed nice, but doing the cash bar and her general attitude at other weddings killed me rooting for her. In some ways, she reminded me of Chicken Neck Super Traditional bride from a season or two ago.

merkay

merkay

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

I always hate it when they mark brides down for cultural elements in their weddings, like the belly dancer and the dress changing. Just because it's not your tradition, doesn't mean it's "inappropriate" or bad. It's just not your tradition. Get over it. People can be so parochial.

Was it a cultural tradition for that couple, though? I get the weddings confused a bit, but weren't they the Jewish and Catholic couple? I don't think either of those cultures has a belly dancing tradition. That said, I don't care if she had one with no cultural connection. I don't think belly dancers are inappropriate. It's a beautiful style of dance, and doesn't deserve to be put on par with strippers or something.

hicks964

hicks964

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

I don't think the show would want to discriminate on religious grounds (JW). However, Celeste knew she couldn't participate fully. So she should have either sucked it up and gone inside the church or not applied to be on the show at all.

Overall it's that lack of religious tolerance from them that turns me off about the religion. I have intimate knowledge having grown up with JW parents!

Back on topic, this is a huge generalization but a lot of JW women I know make their clothes although not as well as Celeste's mother. Also, it doesn't seem like their "ceremony" was shown. I was expecting complaints.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

I know this sounds bad, but does anyone here think Kataryna's wedding was so that she can stay in the US? Both of them look really, really young. As ofr Winnie, I did not like her changes. They were more or less the same style in different colours and lengths. Most Chinese/Taiwanese/Hong Kong brides I know change into different styles.

Just to be superficial, her head seemed too small and her face had a very childlike quality, although that could have something to do with how she talked or her behavior.

Winnie's voice is actually very typical of a lot of Asian women I know. It's just how young women talk on TV/movies. It's equivalent of up-talk/valley girl speak here.

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

Was it a cultural tradition for that couple, though? I get the weddings confused a bit, but weren't they the Jewish and Catholic couple? I don't think either of those cultures has a belly dancing tradition. That said, I don't care if she had one with no cultural connection. I don't think belly dancers are inappropriate. It's a beautiful style of dance, and doesn't deserve to be put on par with strippers or something.

I guess I got the impression that the groom's family (or whichever one had the rabbi) were Arabic of some kind, maybe Lebanese or Egyptian. The rabbi's robe and cap struck me as very much Arabic in style, rather than the more European Jewish style that is more common in the US. Not all Arabs are Muslim. There are plenty of both Jews and Catholics living in Arab countries.

I agree, regardless, belly dancing is no more inappropriate than any of the other types of ethnic dance presentations we've seen at weddings on this show.

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

yes, PRgal you are right on with the observation of the possible reason for Katarynas marriage to Perkins. heck, I don't give that marriage more than a year or 2 to last. they are gonna need lots of luck to make it work!

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 9:02 AM

I think in the beginning of the show Perkins outright said that he's marrying her so she could stay, since her visa was expiring or something...

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

Wasn't Winnie's reception where the drunk dude took off his shirt and started dancing around like a frat boy at a pledge party?

Ladybugnine

Ladybugnine

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

New Episode tonight! Anyone here?

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Anyone else think the "Michael Jackson gloves" looked like cheap, plastic, food service gloves?

And seriously, you're going to complain about the dance floor being crowded and the dj being loud? I'm an old lady, but even I know that's what most people consider fun!

HeyJuliet

HeyJuliet

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Originality tie breaker? With points based on what, exactly? Who decided it, the show or the other brides? The last time it was a tie, they gave both women a honeymoon. I'd be so pissed if I was the other bride.

Not surprised the bride with a $90,000 budget won, but at least the other budgets weren't too low so it was at least a little more fair.

Seriously though, an originality tie breaker this time? Is TLC spending so much money on their reality families with 20492304 kids that they can't afford to remain consistent for this show in the same season? So, so annoying.

kris4n6

kris4n6

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Well, I see how the show got around having to dole out two honeymoons! I think the 'originality tie breaker' was crap. Just give them both a honeymoon, since they tied in *every* category.

Which honestly surprised me. I thought everyone clearly liked Liz's more, but it might be because the other was the first wedding they attended. Maybe they all realized they'd scored her too high once they saw the other weddings.

Also, the 3 hours between the ceremony and the reception was crap. Unless it's for travel time, don't do that to your guests. It's one thing if the reception area is far away from the ceremony and they needed the time to get there, but that didn't seem like the case to me. Probably had to have the ceremony end by 3:30 so the church could have Saturday evening mass, and they didn't want to have an early evening/late afternoon reception (maybe the place they picked wouldn't let them start until 6pm). Either way, not impressed with them - have the wedding earlier and an afternoon reception, it won't kill you.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

What the hell...

Where did those "originality" points even come from?

All of these weddings are starting to blur together. Maybe it's because they show the exact same scenes from each wedding- ceremony, cocktail, dinner, random dancing then bride saying that her wedding was awesome and she's going to win. I guess I need more bitchy, over the top brides so I can snark on it because this niceness was putting me to sleep.

That said Liz's orange tan, Botox and pale lipstick had me snickering like a seven year old.

Also, that one bride had one of the tamest sorority/fraternity weddings ever- I've been to one with the an AKA and Kappa and all I have to say is sea green, pink and red.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 1:46 AM

Where did those "originality" points even come from?

No kidding! And while we're on the subject of originality -- who in the world decided Liz should get them? That was the most unoriginal wedding I have ever seen, seriously, turn on any episode of "Platinum Weddings" and you'll see Liz's wedding.

Generic ballroom..check
Centerpieces infused with crystals..check
Enough blue fluorescent lighting to blind you...check
Tacky strapless wedding dress with smooshed boobage...check

And that staircase/fog setup was beyond tacky. Also, if you can afford a $90,000 wedding -- you don't need to win a free honeymoon.

Honestly, I liked the christmas wedding the best. Santa was a cute touch and I loved her wedding cake decorated to look like gift boxes in the back of the sleigh.

jeplao

jeplao

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 2:10 AM

I don't usually post in here, but I just have to say something after two weeks in a row of my pet peeve:

If you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. That's two weeks in a row of brides complaining about the difficulty of being vegetarian at weddings, and two weeks of them eating salmon or sea bass. Fish = animal :. eating fish =/= vegetarian.

I hated the $90,000 wedding tonight, especially the overwhelming blue lighting in the venue. I actually thought the sorority wedding looked like a blast and wanted her to win.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 8:10 AM

I echo everyone in saying WTF with the originality points. Last week they tie in every category so they both win, this week they make up some BS so they don't have to give out 2 prizes?

Christmas wedding was cute, and I liked her dress but I hated those gloves.