Four Weddings

• Please log in to reply

2009 replies to this topic

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

hardly the type of bride one would expect to wear white!

That makes me cringe to hear that. The whole white wedding dress thing started with Queen Victoria's wedding. That's it. I'd like to strangle the Victorians who started the "it stands for purity" rumor. Blech.

after you're already common-law married?

Common law marriage is only legal in 11 states.

Edited by AllisonJenny, Mar 6, 2010 @ 9:02 PM.

Somnabulista

Somnabulista

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

That makes me cringe to hear that. The whole white wedding dress thing started with Queen Victoria's wedding. That's it. I'd like to strangle the Victorians who started the "it stands for purity" rumor. Blech.

Yeah, I know that, though I was more thinking along the lines of how a full white wedding dress seems more in place on a younger first-time bride than on a more mature woman who's already been with a guy for a long time and had kids, the same way that it seems odd to see people on their third marriage and up wearing a fancy white dress. I'm always happy when I see a bride who didn't wear white and stood out from the crowd.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2010 @ 2:30 PM

I don't understand how they expect Francine (red dress bride) to compete with someone whose budget was 7x what her's was. I thought her wedding was very nice for what she spent. No the food did not look that great but I loved the styling of the loft. I also loved the Halloween Bride, not because her wedding was exactly "my taste" but because it was so her/her husband's taste- it was unique and special to them and that is what I think weddings should be about, a couple's love/commitment for each and having fun with your loved ones, not trying to impress your "2nd cousin 2x removed' or being a "princess".

Somnabulista

Somnabulista

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

I don't understand how they expect Francine (red dress bride) to compete with someone whose budget was 7x what her's was. I thought her wedding was very nice for what she spent. No the food did not look that great but I loved the styling of the loft. I also loved the Halloween Bride, not because her wedding was exactly "my taste" but because it was so her/her husband's taste- it was unique and special to them and that is what I think weddings should be about, a couple's love/commitment for each and having fun with your loved ones, not trying to impress your "2nd cousin 2x removed' or being a "princess".

That was my favorite of the weddings too! I'm proposing to my boyfriend at the end of this month, and if we have an engagement that's about a year and a half long, it might work out that we'd have a Halloween wedding too, which I've always thought would be totally awesome. Although when John, Sharon's husband, was first introduced on camera, it looked like she were marrying Uncle Fester! Talk about keeping everything with the Halloween theme!

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2010 @ 8:01 PM

Well many historians like to point out that Mary Queen of Scots is often credited -- wearing white to her first marriage and shocking the French court as white was the color of mourning (and adding wonderful post hindsight when Francois II died shortly after). But the Victorians did make white the symbol of purity.

The budget discrepancies seem a bit much within the show's proposed context. Especially as high scores seem to reflect "wish I could have afforded that" and some of the low scores seem envy-rooted.

Another week of petty brides. Yes, an orthodox Jewish wedding is going to be different from your Halloween wedding. I can't believe they were SO put out because the wedding was scheduled to not be on the Jewish sabbath. Marking down the experience for cold food makes sense, but their other reasons were petty and not particularly open minded.

This so annoyed me. And coming from the Halloween bride who carps about it not feeling like a traditional wedding to her. Open your mind wider than a plumber's crack sweetheart. And I laughed and cringed at the same time that the two (not sure of the bride who had the eye injury since she seemed the most rooted and the one most open-minded to the rest) could simply not parse that being a Jewish wedding, many of the guests would not have been able to be there on a Saturday. The one going on about working and how inconsiderate it was to hold that wedding on a Sunday. I'll bet the camera crew had a good laugh since even if they didn't figure out ahead of time, by the night of the filming they probably had caught on.

Still, Halloween gal complaining about the wedding not feeling like a wedding when she supposedly she was going for a Halloween party wedding (except for the haunted house there was nothing really Halloween about it -- and how pissed would the other three had been had they actually dressed up -- I'm guessing nothing but 1's from them).

I think it would not be that hard to schedule this type of show with a closer range of budgets. Otherwise even if you have fair brides, its going to just be a money wins the prize show.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:31 PM

I really want to like this show, but the pettiness and entitlement from some of the brides just bugs. And there is something about the concept that seems wrong, but I can't decide exactly what it is or how to fix it.

Maybe the scoring systems needs improvement. The way I understand it, the score for dress, venue and something else is based on whether the other brides ranked them first, second, or third -- 10 points for each time ranked first, 6 points for second, and 3 for third. Then this score is added to the rating they got for overall experience. At least, by making them rank them first, second, or third, rather than giving a rating out of ten, they tried to make sure no one gave low scores to everyone else just to raise her own score. But giving 10 for first, 6 for second, and 3 for third, makes them end up with scores that are much farther apart than the actual wedding probably were. If someone scores first in all catagories and overall experience is a 10 frm everyone, that bride gets 120 points. If someone gets third in every catagory and still gets a 10 from everyone for overall experience (because the weddings were thisclose), that bride would only get 66 points - doesn't seem right if they were thisclose. I wonder if they allow ties.

Maybe they should keep the scoring system then divide it by the amount spent in thousands, so that the lower budget brides wouldn't get dinged because their venue wasn't as nice.

Or maybe they needs judges that aren't also competitors.

Or maybe I should stop watching (when will Say Yes to the Dress be new again?)

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:33 PM

Or maybe they needs judges that aren't also competitors

I would love it if they found a Kerry Vincent type to go "*sigh* She has what we call over decorating-itis. Now her wedding looks cheap and confusing"

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

I was really surprised that the Catholic wedding ceremony was held at the reception site and not a church. That's a pretty lenient priest, isn't it?

My cousin and her husband were married by a Catholic priest at the reception site.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 2:04 AM

Tonight was a fun episode, but it had a huge income disparity. Three of the brides had modest budgets (15-30K) and one bride had a $100 budget. It was wrong to lump her in with these girls. However, I thought the episode did a good job of showcasing unique weddings. I loved the firewoman bride, she had such a great attitude and her wedding looked like a blast. I also laughed at the drunken booze cruise bride. This show has truly grown on me. I just wish more brides would be a little less mean-spirited in their critiques. It takes some of the fun out of the show.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 2:39 AM

I loved the fireman bride too. She was the one I was rooting the most for. My problem with this show is the low end bride can never compete. The 2 intermediate level ones always seem like they have a chance, but unless I'm forgetting an episode, the less than 20k bride never rates higher 2nd best.
I was also very annoyed this week with how intolerant the other bride were with attending a dry wedding. It's really not that big a deal. Also minor pet peeve, I wish people would stop acting like the electric slide is rocket science. If you can count to 3, you can do it. [/rant]
Tiki Bride was a tacky, frat party. Event party bride was an exercise in excess. Who has people dancing in between dinner courses? This time I think the other sort of picked on the lower budget wedding bit. Fussing about no alcohol makes you look like a drunk who can't enjoy a party if they aren't tipsy. Also the 2nd gown/reception dress has been not only on trend but gaining interest the past few years. Unless David Tutterra and Say Yes to the Dress are lying to us.
I wish one of the inexpensive brides would simplify their dinner service. When you're on a budget, less is more. I went to a reception that was at a small, local restaurant. Instead of sit down they had wait staff with mini food, lasagna and other
hors d'ourves, an open bar and then a desert and coffee station. They had a cake cutting ceremony and then guest were given a boxed slice on the way out. Because it was a small local restaurant there was plenty of sit down seating with real silverware. Hold the ceremony early enough that dinner is not required and keep it small enough that your budget can keep it classy.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

I thought it was interesting the one with the much higher budget came in third. Fireman bride was also my favorite, glad she won. Selicia seemed uptight to me, I don't think I heard her say anything positive about any of the other weddings. I was also surprised her wedding cost $20,000. No alcohol, the food was not fancy, didn't look like she spent a lot decorating the church, where did all that money go? Tiki boat bride had a lower budget and more guests and had alcohol and better food. That said I think the other girls making such a big deal about no booze seemed petty. Wasn't it a mid-day reception? Do you need to get tipsy at lunch?

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

I thought it was interesting the one with the much higher budget came in third. Fireman bride was also my favorite, glad she won. Selicia seemed uptight to me, I don't think I heard her say anything positive about any of the other weddings. I was also surprised her wedding cost $20,000. No alcohol, the food was not fancy, didn't look like she spent a lot decorating the church, where did all that money go? Tiki boat bride had a lower budget and more guests and had alcohol and better food. That said I think the other girls making such a big deal about no booze seemed petty. Wasn't it a mid-day reception? Do you need to get tipsy at lunch

I was very surprised at Selicia's wedding, too. Considering that it was a daytime wedding with 70 people at a modest looking church and reception venue with not-so-great-looking food and no booze, $21K is quite a bit - considering that many 140-150 person DINNER weddings with bar and better venues average $35K-$40K around here. I don't think Selicia's dress was anything over "average" in price either.

Tiki bride might have had food donated for her. Yeah, that's the only way I can see her wedding costing $10K (well, that and the fact that there were no tables).

On a superficial note: My mom saw the show for the first time last night. She thought big-budget bride looked way too tanned and older than 24.

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

I thought Selicia's wedding was overpriced as well. For a daytime wedding with not-so-great food and venues, I don't know where all the money went. I didn't love the booze cruise concept, but it looked like her wedding was much more expensive with the tastier food and seemingly unlimited alcohol. No one mentioned having a cash bar, so I assume it was all free. If so, I bet there was some sort of donation. I just can't imagine that food/drink cost so little with 150 or so guests. I was glad that the firewoman won. I've only seen a few episodes but get annoyed when the bride who spends 3x as much automatically wins. These ladies really didn't seem to be impressed by the huge, blowout type of wedding.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

Selecia had 2 dresses and the first had a bit of detailing crystal and a train, my guess is the dresses took up at least half the budget. She was a bit picky, but she seemed to like firewoman's wedding and the food at at least 2 of the weddings. Expensive event planning bride seemed like the typical cliched Miami chick with money; too tan and too blonde with bad taste. I was surprised she had had a nose job. I also think Tiki bride had her food donated. Hubby is a chef.

Edited by Puds38, Mar 13, 2010 @ 2:00 PM.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 5:34 PM

I understand why they have a "dream honeymoon" as the prize to fit the wedding theme, but it doesn't seem that great to me. You can't leave for your honeymoon right away since you have to wait for all the weddings to take place, and you can't really book a "backup" honeymoon if you don't win, unless you're willing to shell out extra for fully refundable tickets.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 6:08 PM

If I were these brides i'd book my honeymoon any way and view winning this as a free vacation. Not only do you have to wait until all the weddings are done, I bet you have to wait until the episode airs as well. That could easily be 6 months later.

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

I understand why they have a "dream honeymoon" as the prize to fit the wedding theme, but it doesn't seem that great to me. You can't leave for your honeymoon right away since you have to wait for all the weddings to take place, and you can't really book a "backup" honeymoon if you don't win, unless you're willing to shell out extra for fully refundable tickets.

Not everyone goes on a honeymoon right away. I know a few people who just did something very short right after the wedding and took a much bigger trip several months later after they'd saved up enough money or had more time off. That said, I hardly think the island vacation is a "dream honeymoon" for everyone. Do they have to go to the hotel selected or do they just get a voucher to use anywhere they choose? I can't imagine Selicia wanting a beach honeymoon since she can't swim and hates the water. I'm from FL and the island vacation really isn't something I've seen that many couples choose.

mylittlehipster

mylittlehipster

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:54 PM

I really want to like this show, but the pettiness and entitlement from some of the brides just bugs. And there is something about the concept that seems wrong, but I can't decide exactly what it is or how to fix it.

This show toes the line between fascinating and terrible. It's really interesting seeing real weddings at all different budgets- but it's TERRIBLE that they "compete" against one another! A wedding is not a competition, a wedding is about getting married to the person you love! It's not about impressing total strangers, it's about having a nice time with people who already know and love you. The whole concept is petty, which is why some of the contestants seem that way, too- you'd have to be either petty, naive or crazy to want to take part in such a game. And yet I love to watch, go figure.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

I can't imagine Selicia wanting a beach honeymoon since she can't swim and hates the water.

She said she didn't like boats because she can't swim. I know a few people who don't feel comfortable on boats because they can't swim. She may very well enjoy a beach vacation. Plenty of people enjoy laying out in the sun or the atmosphere of a tropical vacation but don't want to go any further in the water than getting their feet wet.

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 12:52 AM

This show is very interesting to me because most weddings where I live are nothing like the weddings on this show. Almost every wedding reception I've attended has had a buffet, usually not even main dish but dessert only. We have reception lines for at least half of the reception and maybe an hour of dancing. I have actually only been to one wedding reception with a sit down dinner, and I have been to a lot of weddings.

I felt like Selicia was just complaining for the sake of complaining at the first two weddings, but felt bad that she was sick at the last one. Especially since she couldn't leave, like the girl who hurt her eye last episode.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 1:08 AM

I've been to every type of wedding imaginable; 2 on a boat, (1 causal, 1 fancy, sit down boat/restaurant),in an old movie theater, in a wedding with hor'dvoures, weddings in castles, weddings in mansions, wedding in restaurant, wedding in a back yard, catered, buffet, , home cooked, in fire halls, etc....what it does is make me appreciate each for it's own uniqueness since each fit the bride's personality. I think that's where the meanness comes in. I don't get the impression that many of these brides have been very far out of their comfort zones in terms of weddings they've attended in the past. Many of them have rarely gone to weddings of different ethnicities/cultures and don't seem to adapt well. Add to that the fact that they are vying for a vacation prize and no doubt the questions are posed to get negative reaction, I'm not surprised the show comes across as mean. What we get to see appears to be the answer to the question, "What didn't you like", but I hear nearly every bride at least trying to say at least 1 nice thing.

Edited by Puds38, Mar 14, 2010 @ 1:23 AM.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

Many of them have rarely gone to weddings of different ethnicities/cultures and don't seem to adapt well. Add to that the fact that they are vying for a vacation prize and no doubt the questions are posed to get negative reaction, I'm not surprised the show comes across as mean. What we get to see appears to be the answer to the question, "What didn't you like", but I hear nearly every bride at least trying to say at least 1 nice thing.

True, but since boat girl's wedding was semi-religious (Jewish) with some Italian sprinkled in, I assume that she has gone to some more "traditional" Jewish weddings. She found fancy-schmancy girl's wedding a little different too (ok, it was. Glass-breaking usually happens UNDER the chuppah) and seemed like she wasn't sure what was going on.

LuvMuffin

LuvMuffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 3:36 PM

I'm sorry but it's always the petty ones with the tacky wedding! Yeah I'm talking to YOU Selicia! lol The Jewish wedding was nice. I liked the fire crackers and the sparklers....venue. Food, food and more food. The cocktail hour was a little too heavy on the apptz and wow @ 2am! lol Loved the fire woman too!

Well drinking that early in the morning at Selicias wedding makes no sense. Food and beverage are REALLY expensive so she cut major costs with the alcohol. I've done many events and it's $$$$.

Drew328

Drew328

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

I agree with the above poster who mentioned that a large portion of Selicia's budget went towards the dresses. She commented on another bride's dress looking cheap or tacky, IIR, so it seems like she made her dress a priority. I think she should've budgeted more for food. Those were cafeteria-style frozen vegetables. Didn't look appetizing.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

I was actually kind of embarrassed for Selicia. Not just for the food but even the church she had the ceremony at looked, well, grim. Like they went i n ten minutes before the ceremony to set up. It wasn't just the lack of decorations as it was the layout of the sanctuary itself. It looked odd and jumbled and the whole thing felt cold, detached and just a bit too removed. I realize it was probably her church, but still. For the size of the church to the number of guests, I would have tried something different.

She definitely put everything in her dresses. A huge no no to me since I am a big fan of the "money goes to the party" aspect if you are having a traditional wedding.

I think the show still has problems with the scoring aspect no matter how much they claim it is rigged to prevent one bride deliberately low-balling another. Maybe instead of judging each others, they could just have a guest panel of judges? Have the panel be the four brides who are going to be the next four judged in the following episode. That gets a bit wonky, but I think having a bit more neutral judges would help the show despite the obvious potential for catty drama this type of set-up provides (or they hope provides).

I do think there needs to be a hands on host to the show who could be the fifth judge and help moderate. And judge as a panel maybe on each wedding to make sure some aspects are not overblown. Such as the fact that each episode at least one of the brides goes into snipe mode on something that personally offends her. Newflash ladies. The other bride's wedding is not about you! Your dislikes or your phobias or your narrowminded views. They need someone to say "just because you don't like shrimp doesn't mean the wedding is a failure because shrimp was on the menu." Is it the contest aspect that has them rooting for such personal entitled nitpicking or is it the still-in-bridezilla mode that brings this out.

Maybe both.

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

Is it the contest aspect that has them rooting for such personal entitled nitpicking or is it the still-in-bridezilla mode that brings this out.

Honestly, I think it's pure self-centeredness. After all if bride 1 doesn't like shrimp and prefers a live band then clearly no one with taste would ever like shrimp or want a dj. Choosing something different implies that Bride 1 doesn't actually have the World's Greatest Sense of Style and she just can't handle that.

It's like Selicia being scored down because the other brides don't know the Electric Slide. Clearly the rest of Selicia's guests do know it and were enjoying it so to me that was a success. She was planning a wedding that would be entertaining for the people she invited and they were entertained. Should she plan a wedding that would suit the 3 other brides but none of her guests?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 2:40 PM

Is it the contest aspect that has them rooting for such personal entitled nitpicking or is it the still-in-bridezilla mode that brings this out.

Maybe both

Honestly, I think it's pure self-centeredness. After all if bride 1 doesn't like shrimp and prefers a live band then clearly no one with taste would ever like shrimp or want a dj. Choosing something different implies that Bride 1 doesn't actually have the World's Greatest Sense of Style and she just can't handle that.

I think the bridezillness is what prompts the self-centerness. After all isn't a bridezilla self centered times 100? Add to that the reality show/contest aspect of it and the unevenness of the money spent on each wedding and you get what we see. I like the idea of an outside panel judgeing. I like even better that the previous weeks brides do the judging as opposed to someone like David "there can never be enough flowers" Tuttera.

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

I think the bridezillness is what prompts the self-centerness. After all isn't a bridezilla self centered times 100?

True. I think if we were seeing them during the actual wedding planning portion I'd probably see more Bridezilla.

I have to say I think it's ridiculously tacky to complain about someone's dry wedding, especially when you don't even know them. Who's to say Selicia's fiancee/mother/future father-in-law etc; wasn't a recovering alcoholic who would have struggled being around so much available alcohol? The one who said she only drank water pissed me off because that was her choice. There were other options, she CHOSE water.

I like the idea of an outside panel judgeing.

Me too, although maybe if they would cast some women who weren't completely catty it would help.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2010 @ 2:18 PM

I agree that a different judging panel -- that perhaps used the other brides' experience as part of their reviews -- would help. The huge differences in money invested (and I winced over some of those prices), and religious ceremonies, including some very long ones (wasn't there a Greek Orthodox wedding in the teaser show in December that went on for 2 hours?) makes it hard to compare the weddings. All those things should be taken into account -- for example if one wedding had an ok venue, great food, and a nice wedding dress for $10,000 compared to a $75,000 wedding that really overfed the guests and went on too long... who got the best value for money and gave their guests the best experience over all.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

1940s Bride: Too extravagant looking for the 1940s. I thought there was rationing back then.

Dance teacher bride: I was surprised to hear Here Comes the Bride/The Bridal Chorus at an interfaith Jewish/Catholic wedding (Wagner was supposedly anti-semetic and the piece isn't usually played at Catholic weddings because the piece is A: secular and B: from an opera with a doomed marriage that ends tragically )

Edited by PRgal, Mar 19, 2010 @ 10:12 PM.