Four Weddings

• Please log in to reply

2009 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 12:29 AM

In the new TLC series, which is getting a sneak preview tonight at 10 (it will air regularly on Saturdays at 10 p.m. starting on Jan. 30), four women attend each otherís weddings and rate the venue, dress, food and overall experience. The bride who gets the highest total score from the other three wins a nice honeymoon vacation. I can't believe I'm getting sucked into yet another wedding show.

mylittlehipster

mylittlehipster

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 1:32 PM

I had heard of this show from a friend in the UK- it started on the BBC. I enjoy seeing the different weddings. There's something slightly distasteful about making weddings a competitive sport, but it's still interesting to watch! The Greek wedding took place at a church just down the street from me- I had a chance to walk in during a festival earlier this year, it is more gorgeous in person than it is on TV.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 2:03 PM

I watched last night. The wow factors for me were the desserts Nadine loaded up on & the Greek bride taking the time to say "come dance with us."

Edited by AllisonJenny, Dec 19, 2009 @ 2:05 PM.

ComplexIsBack

ComplexIsBack

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 2:03 PM

I watched last night & fell asleep right before the ending. I did enjoy what I saw, as I love anything relating to weddings.

Can someone give me a recap on the scores/winner?

OldTowneTavern

OldTowneTavern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 3:57 PM

I don't remember the scores (they do a very detailed breakdown of who won which categories, etc.) But the winner was the Big Greek wedding (she and her hubby won a trip to Bora Bora). Second place was the Irish bagpipers. Third was the prissy woman. 4th was the racetrack wedding. The final two were only separated by a point.

I think it's somewhat unfair though because the brides have much different budgets. The winner spent the most money; over double what the second place woman spent, who, in turn, spent more than the remaining two. The third place winner spent about 10 grand less than racetrack woman, but they were almost neck and neck in points.

Normally, I would be mortified if someone I knew started playing with her cellphone during a wedding ceremony, but an hour and a half... in a foreign language?!? I don't know, I'd be very tempted to do the same thing.

Edited by OldTowneTavern, Dec 19, 2009 @ 3:59 PM.

tortietat

tortietat

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

While I agree that an hour and a half of a language I don't understand would be boring, I don't think I'd expect someone having a wedding in their particular culture to adapt it to my language.

For this "contest" to be fair they need to have brides with similar budgets.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

I got a bit tickled, then miffed, when non-gambling bride complained about the Greek Orthodox wedding being said in Greek. Her goofy minister had to be sub-titled! What a maroon. I was hoping she'd come in last just for her complaining.

I did think Nic (4th place) had a waaaaay more traditional wedding than she led us to believe would happen.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 10:38 PM

I did think Nic (4th place) had a waaaaay more traditional wedding than she led us to believe would happen.

It definitely felt like she made adjustments after seeing the other weddings.

OldTowneTavern

OldTowneTavern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 11:56 PM

Nic (4th place)

Just to clarify. She was 4th to have the wedding, but came in 2nd place.

Also, I don't think anyone should change a their ceremony's language or customs to suit their guests, either. When you hear the word "Orthodox" that should be your first clue that change is not on the menu. I still can understand prissy bride's "If I ever go to another Greek Orthodox wedding, I'll skip the ceremony" statement. I know I've felt that way at a couple of "fire and brimstone" ceremonies. Now there was a time I wish I didn't speak the language.

hicks964

hicks964

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 4:46 PM

The show was mildly entertaining. However, the Greek wedding was damn near platinum level. It was almost no contest.

They met each other and discussed their weddings at some point. How much time elapsed between weddings if "non-girly bride" could incorporate changes? I kind of felt sorry for the 3rd place bride because she really thought she was doing an elaborate wedding until she was what $$$ really can do.

LuvMuffin

LuvMuffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 26, 2009 @ 3:16 PM

I'm sorry but we are NOT in Greece. I even come from a family that speaks another language HOWEVER I will accommodate my guest and make them feel comfortable by translating it in greek AND English. Her wedding was beautiful but 1.5 HOURS in another language?! Hellzzz no! What's the point in inviting someone that doesn't speak the language? I'm SURE that she doesn't speak to her American friends in Greek so why would you think it's okay to have a Greek speaking only ceremony? I'm sorry but I would like my guests to feel comfortable. They translate THREE languages at my Mass services and I would do the same at my wedding. Regardless, it was a beautiful wedding.

Nadine had a nice wedding minus the loud old lady (hearing aide perhaps? Sub title = heavy accent) and the plastic in the vase. She did a GREAT job for a $25K budget. The dress and headpiece was blah. Pretty lady and handsome husband. Oh and stop looking so greedy Nadine. geez

Who was the sour puss bride who wouldn't dance?! She had a decent wedding minus the outside of her venue. A cover up for her tattoo would have been nice. Tacky.

The horse racing wedding was a cute and original idea but weird all at the same time. lol

Edited by LuvMuffin, Dec 26, 2009 @ 3:18 PM.

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

I liked to see the different weddings, but I just laughed when the girl with the expensive wedding said she was hoping she won because "We can't afford a honeymoon right now." You spend $70K on the wedding and can't round up another $1000 for a short cruise or all-inclusive vacation? I hope that future episodes try to find brides who have similar budgets. Of course you're going to win when your budget is more than twice what any of the other brides have spent. It's not even going to be close!

Also, I don't think anyone should change a their ceremony's language or customs to suit their guests, either. When you hear the word "Orthodox" that should be your first clue that change is not on the menu. I still can understand prissy bride's "If I ever go to another Greek Orthodox wedding, I'll skip the ceremony" statement. I know I've felt that way at a couple of "fire and brimstone" ceremonies. Now there was a time I wish I didn't speak the language.

There's no need to change the customs. Asking a few relatives to translate portions of the ceremony wouldn't have changed the integrity of the experience. They could also have provided more detailed programs giving a summary of what was happening in each part of the ceremony. It just seemed like everyone who didn't know Greek was kind of clueless as to what was going on.

trojanchick99

trojanchick99

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

So I caught the premiere and I was pleasantly surprised that Karen won. I loved that the wedding with lowest budget won. It was so heartfelt and elegant. She has great taste. Oh and TLC not EVERY Indian wedding is a "Bollywood" theme. That said, I loved her wedding it was beautiful. The other two were fine.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 1:58 AM

I thought it was tacky when one girl said "you need to respect people who don't eat vegetables. Like me!" I understood her not liking the really spicy food at the Indian wedding, but it's not like she'd die without meat for one day.

My other gripe was Karen having a honeymoon cruise and then winning a honeymoon trip. Why would you enter a contest for something you already have ?

Edited by AllisonJenny, Jan 31, 2010 @ 2:08 AM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 3:40 AM

I thought it was tacky when one girl said "you need to respect people who don't eat vegetables. Like me!" I understood her not liking the really spicy food at the Indian wedding, but it's not like she'd die without meat for one day.

And hers was my least favorite wedding. I thought it was tacky in a Jersey Shore kinda way and when she said something about being a wild child because she wore leopard print shoes to her wedding, I think I nearly blacked out from rolling my eyes.
The Karen and the Indian bride were my favorites, I would have been happy to see either of them win.

SunBun

SunBun

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

And hers was my least favorite wedding. I thought it was tacky in a Jersey Shore kinda way and when she said something about being a wild child because she wore leopard print shoes to her wedding, I think I nearly blacked out from rolling my eyes.

Ewww, me too!!! That wedding looked so tacky and lame, from the big road sign outside of the church to the Christmas decorations all over the church for their wedding((a nativity scene on the altar for their wedding? really??)), to the long buffet/cattle lines to get the boring food, it was just so traditionally middle-class blah all around. And it was hilarious how she was all proud about a rented Ferrari to get her to the cheesy reception, like that was just the coolest thing ever!
What sealed my distaste for it overall was that idiotic choreographed "dance" she and her poor bridesmaids inflicted on their reception guests. Yikes. The gal who compared it to something straight out of a Sweet 16 party was dead on---the entire reception felt like some stupid scene lifted straight from "My Super Sweet 16."

My second least fave was the whole stupid Hollywood glam wedding. If you're going to do a wedding theme, do it RIGHT; her wedding dress was just as boring as she was. Or do it like the Indian wedding, which looked absolutely stunning all around and was beautifully exotic---I was rather upset that it didn't win best wedding overall, but I blame those two idiot brides who obviously haven't been exposed to much Indian food or who simply have such bland, inexperienced palettes that even one day without meat and potatoes is confusing to them.

I suppose the boat wedding was okay, and I liked the addition of the groom's daughter and how heartfelt it all was, but they obviously were too cheap/poor to spring for a longer reception time. And yeah, I was wondering the same thing---wasn't that cruise for the couple waving to their guests departing considered their actual honeymoon???

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 2:36 PM

And yeah, I was wondering the same thing---wasn't that cruise for the couple waving to their guests departing considered their actual honeymoon???

Did you see the 1950s bride when Karen was getting in the limo ? She was making those faces like "Girl, I'm gonna --oops *ahem* hey camera"

*The Indian bride has a public Facebook group. I assume her friends started it, because they've got wedding pictures up and call her Vids. It is called "TLC needs to revise four weddings! Vidya the winner forget everyone else!!" Their motto is "FORGET THEM WHORES!" To her credit, she was graceful enough to tell people on her own page "OK Everyone, thanks for the kind words and support. It was surely a fun experience for Shah & I ...congrats to Karen, she won fair and square and I wish her all the best."

Edited by AllisonJenny, Jan 31, 2010 @ 2:55 PM.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

I was surprised that all four weddings had buffet dinners. I see buffets a lot at Indian weddings and I think it worked well for the afternoon/lunch wedding (the one that ended up winning). I'm just surprised that it seems to be the standard now. And I'm also surprised that someone chose "50s" as a theme. Who the hell actually has a themed wedding beyond maybe "beach" or something seasonal (fall/Halloween, winter, etc.) I thought it was just overall a weird idea and she could have done a lot more with it. As it was it was just a regular wedding with a Marilyn Monroe impersonator attending.

I actually expected the Indian bride to win, but I guess she lost a lot of points on the food. Because HEAVEN FORBID you have an open mind to another culture's food that actually uses a lot of vegetables in their cuisine. And I seriously doubt that every food choice offered was super duper mega spicy.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 6:16 PM

Sensing a formula for this show.
  • Bride who thinks she is extravagant. (Caribbean bride from ep1 & 1950's bride from ep2)
  • Bride who does lavish ethnic wedding. (Greek wedding from ep1 & Indian wedding from ep2)
  • Bride who does "edgy" wedding. (Tattoo bride w/ sneaker wearing groom from ep 1 & Leopard shoe, Ferrari rental bride from ep2)
  • Bride who does unusual setting. (Race track bride from ep1 & Boat wedding from ep2)

Broken down like this it doesn't really seem to matter how much they actually spend on the wedding since even though these wedding fit into the similar themes, they ranked differently in terms of success.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 7:53 PM

Who the hell actually has a themed wedding beyond maybe "beach" or something seasonal (fall/Halloween, winter, etc.)

I'd point you to Offbeat Bride, where a lot of people do that. And manage to rock whatever their theme is. Although the 1950s bride failed at that.

This exactly. Plus, crazy shoes are one of the common wedding trends now anyway. I've already seen plenty of bridal parties wearing Vans or brides in brightly colored night club shoes.

Edited by AllisonJenny, Jan 31, 2010 @ 7:54 PM.

BrianneG

BrianneG

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 2:52 PM

Did anyone watch the "series premiere" this weekend? I don't understand why TLC keeps showing teaser episodes of shows before they actually premiere. I guess this was actually the third episode though it's only the second one I've caught.

I'm actually happy that the bride who won pulled it off. I'm a little surprised they grouped the bride who'd only been to three weddings in with the other three of them since her budget was less than half of the others. Clearly, her food wasn't going to be up to the same standard as the other three.

They seemed so petty when rating the other brides. Just because they had a DJ when you prefer a band, doesn't mean the DJ isn't the right choice for the evening. Or putting down one bride because she had more DIY touches in the cocktail hour than she had in the reception area.

I might have to give up on this show. After watching three Winter Wonderland weddings, I had a horrible nightmare about my own upcoming wedding. Apparently I didn't have enough snowflakes for the June wedding.

GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 6:50 PM

The one woman who called herself a "designer?" Her wedding looked like Michael's and Hobby Lobby threw up. Seriously. I've never seen so much home-grown crap in a wedding in all my life. I'm all for personal touches, but the flowers looked like they were not good quality silk flowers and the way she put the stuff together was just cringe-worthy.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 7:35 PM

The one woman who called herself a "designer?" Her wedding looked like Michael's and Hobby Lobby threw up.

Didn't she also say she spent 2 years getting ready for the wedding? 2 years to make that stuff....
I missed the budget of the first bride, but I'm not surprised to hear it was quite a bit less then the other brides. Nothing wrong with her wedding but I could tell she didn't have the budget the other ones did. They really should try to group brides with similar budgets in this show.

Boring Member

Boring Member

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 10:58 PM

Maybe it's editing or whatever, but the women seem so petty. In general, a few of them every episode don't seem to get the "ethnic" wedding. I think the further from the American "norm" the less likely they are to get it (hence the Indian wedding not winning).

The Halloween bride and the young girl tonight were straight-up b*tches. I didn't think I would like the event planner girl, but I did. I liked Francine too. They both had comments that made sense without being jerks about it. I was really rooting for Francine tonight and was so disappointed that Melissa won.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

I thought it was odd and pointless when the Halloween bride said "She didn't include kids in her wedding. That's weird to me."

I disliked when the winner's moment with her guy was interrupted with "You're not dancing. I thought you'd be dancing like you did at your wedding. Come on, let's see you dance." It sounded bitter and sarcastic.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 11:22 PM

I thought it was odd and pointless when the Halloween bride said "She didn't include kids in her wedding. That's weird to me."

Me too. She also thought it was weird the groom didn't get a ring and they didn't kiss. It was like anything different then her norm was weird.
The brides tonight seemed very petty. Some very low scores. I still don't think it is fair to have brides with sush different budgets on the same show. Francine had a great wedding for not a lot of money, but how can you really compete with someone who has a budget that is 7X what yours is?

LuvMuffin

LuvMuffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

LOL Oh come on now, the bride that said "you're not dancing" was just teasing the dude b/c he acted like a drunking mess the entire time on the dance floor! LMAOOO! That was Francine who said that and seemed to be very pleasant the entire time. The young girl and one other lady had nice venues. All of the dresses were very boring. The loft was a cute idea but needed private sections imo. I do agree that they should compete with people with the same budget however maybe not. Maybe this will show that a $10K wedding can look almost just as nice as a $75k wedding. LOL

I felt that the black lady (the principle w/ the band) from last week should have won but oh well. Very classy.

BrianneG

BrianneG

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 2:58 PM

Another week of petty brides. Yes, an orthodox Jewish wedding is going to be different from your Halloween wedding. I can't believe they were SO put out because the wedding was scheduled to not be on the Jewish sabbath. Marking down the experience for cold food makes sense, but their other reasons were petty and not particularly open minded.

I was really surprised that the Catholic wedding ceremony was held at the reception site and not a church. That's a pretty lenient priest, isn't it?

I'm not surprised by who won based on their overall experience scores. Super lavish, traditional wedding really was the best of what we saw last night.

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

I thought all the weddings were nice last night, and they all seemed like a lot of fun .I didn't care for any of the dresses.

Maybe this will show that a $10K wedding can look almost just as nice as a $75k wedding. LOL

I actually said the same thing last night. While the 75k wedding was nice, it wasn't 65K nicer than the other wedding. I would have felt ripped off.

Somnabulista

Somnabulista

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

I couldn't stand Melissa, the Cinderella bride who blew 75k on her wedding. Maybe it was because she was significantly younger than the other three contestants, but I thought she and her husband looked really young, almost too young to be getting married. She acted entitled the entire episode, like complaining her salad had no dressing and being upset Ariana scheduled her wedding for a Sunday and "inconvenienced" her guests. I also hate grown women with that princess mentality and dreams of having some overblown fairy princess wedding. And if she and her dorky-looking husband could blown 75k on just one night, couldn't they have afforded that winning honeymoon on their own too?

I thought all of the dresses were pretty boring except for Francine's red dress, since I hate strapless dresses and wish that overdone fad would just die. The wedding dresses I like for my own future wedding all have sleeves, something which seems to be unheard of nowadays. The red dress also seemed to fit Francine's wedding more, since she'd already been with the guy for 18 years and had two kids with him, hardly the type of bride one would expect to wear white! And am I just too out of touch at the old age of 30, but is it really that common nowadays to just date, live together, and have kids for 10+ years and then decide to get married almost as an afterthought, after you're already common-law married? I've seen this scenario more than a few times and it always baffles me.