The Sing-Off

• Please log in to reply

2984 replies to this topic

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

According to the Sing-off website, it's Home Free, Voice Play, and Filharmonic.

LovedeAcapella

LovedeAcapella

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 11:24 PM

Deke is music producer of the Sing-Off and Pitch Perfect:

http://acappellaeduc...on-sing-finale/

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

Thanks for the link, LovedeAcapella!

My thoughts on Deke's responses:

• Q5 - what Deke didn't say (but what I think is the rationale if I read between the lines) is that logistics and budget were the overriding concerns regarding who would be part of the tour. The Filharmonic and VoicePlay were the next obvious choices--but TEN got a little bit of representation with Emoni Wilkins being a featured performer with VoicePlay. Also, the tour will have other Sing-Off contestants *from all seasons* as guest performers depending on region and date. I think that's of the good as it will give these groups another showcase for their talents, along with the attendant exposure they might not otherwise have had.
  • Q7 - if Pitch Perfect 2 films in 2014 could it be released in late-2014 (possibly coinciding with the broadcast of Sing-Off S5)? [N.B.: Wikipedia has a release date of 2015.] This would be a solid cross-promotional opportunity between the network, movie studio, and record label--unless Sony is bankrolling the whole endeavor. [Nevermind; unless there have been some changes, the original Pitch Perfect was distributed by Universal Pictures--so Universal, owned by Comcast (via NBCUniversal), will probably distribute Pitch Perfect 2, as well.]

Other notables (not associated with the Deke Sharon interview above):

• Perhaps a one-off situation, but VoicePlay's FB page mentions a collab with TEN's DeeDee. The song is on iTunes now and a music vid releases today (presumably on YT). [Edit: here is Young And Beautiful.]
  • VoicePlay + Emoni will perform with Element on Jan. 11 in NYC.
  • This A Cappella Educators Association (AEA) interview with Ben Bram has some good nuggets, too.

Edited by SrPab, Jan 7, 2014 @ 2:43 PM.

87bi

87bi

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

I'm bit confused. I thought VoicePlay consists of  one lady(Honey) and 5 guys.  Now all I see is 5 guys with various guest female singer ( Emoni, Dede...)   What ever happened to Honey?

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

A group called 4:2:Five remade themselves into VoicePlay--an all-male group (quintet). Upthread, I posted a link to a blog post from VoicePlay where they described their journey to get on The Sing-Off. TSO producers wanted them to compete as a sextet, with a female vocalist. They wanted to audition/compete with Rachel Potter but Rachel chose to compete on X Factor, instead.

So, VoicePlay asked Honey to join them (they knew one another from back in the day). A number of people, including me, believed that Honey and the five guys did not/could not jell over the course of the season. Skipping ahead, due to a number of variables VoicePlay was invited to participate in The Sing-Off Tour. I have no idea who decided (or how it was decided) that they would feature Emoni during the tour. (It seems like a compromise to me--the original membership of TEN wouldn't work for logistical or budgetary reasons as noted in the link from LovedeAcapella's post above. But, as TEN was the S4 runner-up, perhaps it was felt that someone from that group should be part of the tour.)

Personally, I thought they were doing just fine as an all-male quintet.

Edited by SrPab, Jan 7, 2014 @ 2:43 PM.

RickyNightshade

RickyNightshade

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 3:24 PM

I was another that thought that VoicePlay was never able to gel with Honey. Honey might have chosen not to participate on the tour - she didn't seem as thrilled about any aspect of the experience as the others did. This might be why VoicePlay had all those YouTube videos with guest female vocalists - they might've been auditioning a replacement for tour purposes.

They probably added another female in general at the direction of the producers - the producers might want them to be able to perform songs they did on the show as a sextet, and it's also possible that they didn't want to have VoicePlay without a female member, because then the three teams on the tour would be a total sausage-fest.

I understand the logistics involved that made them decide against having Ten and Vocal Rush on the tour, but it ended up cutting out a lot of amazing female singers.  

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 5:57 PM

I liked that interview with Ben Bram, and his advice to Home Free (to work their tails off if they want to succeed, which I don't think will be a problem for a group that was touring to all those little venues around the Midwest before they won TSO!) was spot on.

In PTX online stories, one writer calls "Radioactive" the best cover of the year: http://www.policymic...a-cover-of-2013

ETA: I decided to add up the views on just PTX's official videos, including the Lindsey Stirling load of Radioactive and the Todrick Hall load of The Wizard of Ahhhhs, and they are at over 460,000,000 views!! That is an amazing number to me.

Edited by Sharpie66, Jan 7, 2014 @ 7:48 PM.

LovedeAcapella

LovedeAcapella

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 12:12 AM

Yeah. She didn't know. I heard the tour promoters made the call, but no confirmation.

https://m.facebook.c...770081779672881

87bi

87bi

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

So, those 5 guys= VoicePlay, Honey was plus 1 for the show's sake?

She was still with them when they made the "cowboys vs Zombies". And here I thought they look much better as a group than they did during the singoff. It's hard to believe that she wouldn't want to tour. If what she said on her FB is true, I feel bad for her and hope those guys were decent enough to reach out to her. But who knows.

Come to think of it, after watching that video and " I'm alright" with the Filharmonic, Homefree seems to bring out the best in whoever they collaborate with...good luck with all of them.

I wonder if they are going to do the zombie mush up during the tour.

RickyNightshade

RickyNightshade

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 1:27 PM

Yeah. She didn't know. I heard the tour promoters made the call, but no confirmation.

https://m.facebook.c...770081779672881

If what she said on her FB is true, I feel bad for her and hope those guys were decent enough to reach out to her. But who knows.

If the producers asked for a replacement, but VoicePlay wanted to keep her, I would hope they would've stuck up for her. But it's also possible VP wanted to replace her because they just weren't feeling she was the right fit, and the producers made the call of which person would be replacing her.  They're a long-established group who only added her at the request of the producers in the first place, and they intend to keep being a group, so they should do what's right for the group overall. Personally, I would've preferred DeDe over Emoni though.

But regardless of who made the choice to replace her, if the guys didn't bother to talk to her about it and no one told her until after the fact, that's shady as shit, so I hope that's not the case. 

Edited by RickyNightshade, Jan 8, 2014 @ 6:08 PM.

lilyvalley

lilyvalley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 7:36 AM

I didn't care for any of the women in Ten too much, but I thought Emoni had the most charisma.  The close cropped blonde woman had the nicest tone to me, but she had no power, I could hardly hear her.  And I don't have much of a positive opinion about DeDe:, neither her voice nor her stage presence was interesting to me at all, so I mostly spent the time she was singing wishing I could hear/watch someone else.

I think, out of all the females this year, the one to watch is Sara Vela of Vocal Rush.  I loved her.  I would love to see her pop up on the Voice at some point.

It didn't occur to me that the producers would think a woman has to go on the tour.  I'd be perfectly happy watching an all male show, if the singing is good.  I wonder if the general audience is all that different from me in that regard.  I've been on the fence about going to see the tour.  I'm tempted, mostly because I didn't get a ticket to Pentatonix in time.  (The asking price for a resale ticket here is over $400.)  But the groups this year didn't excite me much.  I think, in large part, it was song selection, because objectively I like them all ok. Now, if Home Free did more songs like their backup of Jewel, I'd be really interested, but I have a feeling they'll just do lots and lots of country. 

PurpleHyatt

PurpleHyatt

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 2:32 PM

lilyvalley

"Now, if Home Free did more songs like their backup of Jewel, I'd be really interested, but I have a feeling they'll just do lots and lots of country."

Home Free is currently live streaming their new album.  Check their FB page for the link.  It's definitely not all country :)

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 7:51 PM

fuse.tv: "A cappella music is ridiculously hot right now." - http://www.fuse.tv/2...se-of-acappella

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 11:09 PM

I heard that in Mugatu's voice: "It's SO HOT right now!"

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

Another parody of a Pentatonix video (there are enough now, this is almost getting to be a meme):  https://www.youtube....h?v=FhNjZaD2-G8

Warning:  It's PAINFULLY bad singing.  Among the worst your ears will have ever heard.  But it's ridiculous enough to be worth a watch (mostly for the weird attempts at "looking" like the PTX members).

Not sure I get the decision to echo the split screen four ways instead of five.  Maybe his editing software couldn't do a five way split screen or something.

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:14 AM

I'm unsure if there's any overlap between The Sing-Off and/or Home Free and/or Kathie Lee & Hoda fans but...on Monday, Jan. 13, Home Free will be on KL & H for a few hours and will perform at least once during the 10-11am hour ET.

I don't watch the show but over the years I've heard about KL & H's fangirling/gushing/fawning antics--so I can only imagine what might occur between them and Austin/Tim/Adam/Rob/Chris. Also, what Home Free does might be right up KL's alley and she may *ahem* sing with them.

Edited by SrPab, Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:14 AM.

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:58 PM

Haha! Enjoyed the parody video. For some reason what amused me the most was "Kevin" wiping his mouth so much.

Here's what's funny to me: Usually a parody is making fun of the original such that I would imagine the original people would see it and feel crappy. Like when the parody is being sung badly, it's saying they think that's how the real singers sound.

But the parodies I've seen of the PTX videos seem to be more of a tribute somehow. The bad costuming/singing is actually saying "You're so awesome this is how the rest of us look/sound in comparison."

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 4:00 PM

I'm unsure if there's any overlap between The Sing-Off and/or Home Free and/or Kathie Lee & Hoda fans but...on Monday, Jan. 13, Home Free will be on KL & H for a few hours and will perform at least once during the 10-11am hour ET.

I don't watch the show but over the years I've heard about KL & H's fangirling/gushing/fawning antics--so I can only imagine what might occur between them and Austin/Tim/Adam/Rob/Chris. Also, what Home Free does might be right up KL's alley and she may *ahem* sing with them.

Kathie Lee & Hoda's portion of the Today show is only on between 10 & 11AM Eastern (with a repeat following Last Call with Carson Daly at around 2AM, or a little after, early the next morning), so if they're only gonna be on their show, they won't be on for a few hours, more like a few minutes.

If they're doing the usual Concert Series segment, which usually starts in the 8AM Eastern hour of the original, 2-hour long, Today show then they'll be on for a few hours as the concert segment starting there gets spread out through the remainder of the show all the way through Kathie Lee & Hoda's hour.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 2:35 PM

SuperFruit (Mitch and Scott) plus Kirstie doing a medley from Frozen - with music.  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tA53EsnzlIg

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

That Frozen medley is getting some serious viral linkage at the usual Pentatonix-linking websites, btw.

Speaking of, an unexpected mention of the group at the Chicago paper Red-Eye, on a funny article titled "Wild Guesses for Music in 2014":

"A cappella's popularity means Pentatonix's sold-out show Feb. 8 at Chicago Theatre will be nationally televised. But only to viewers who can beatbox the opening to N'Sync's "Pop.""

I think this might be PTX's first mention in Red-Eye.

In Season 4 winner news, a good review of Home Free's new album is here: http://www.geeksmash...es-new-album114

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2014 @ 6:07 PM

The Frozen medley got a really nice shout-out by one of the co-writers of the movie's music in an article in the Wall Street Journal: "And the Web has been overrun with videos of kids and grown-ups alike singing their own versions of “Let It Go.” (Kristen said her latest favorite is a medley by members of the vocal group Pentatonix.)"

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 3:56 PM

Here's a bit of Pentatonix news I haven't seen anywhere.  I just randomly discovered this.  By chance.

Posted yesterday, here's a Lucky Charms commercial done by Pentatonix.  Kirstie's the very noticeable lead, but Mitch blends in their pretty quick so you can hardly tell where she leaves off and he takes over.  Actually just due to how short it is, Avi is the only one who isn't really that noticeable.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=uwQxviY2cSU

In my child-like mind, having a Breakfast cereal theme song?  That's freaking BIG TIME!

EDIT - Wow, there's this even MORE awesome video also posted by General Mills:   https://www.youtube....h?v=_dse02-0AeM

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 5:42 PM

PTX on Blue Peter, a British kids' show - https://www.youtube....h?v=n0n0X4cdxP8

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 8:07 PM

Hmm, ANOTHER person (the initial presenter on that clip) who insists on calling them "The Pentatonix".

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:48 PM

Oh my god, that was adorable :D

I'm not saying it's easy to do what PTX does, but it seemed like the hosts were kind of playing up the learning segment. It reminded me of Mr. Rogers clumsily "learning" to jump rope.

And apparently the Lucky Charms commercial is supposed to air during the Grammy's. Now I have a reason to watch :)

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:53 PM

And apparently the Lucky Charms commercial is supposed to air during the Grammy's. Now I have a reason to watch :) 

• rep_up.png
  •  

Holy S#@t.  Really?

Where'd you get that piece of news?  

Talk about career making.  I mean it ain't Superbowl commercial, but for a musical group its a nice boost.

On the other hand... even with the Grammys who actually WATCHES the commercials?  The Superbowl may be the only time people make a point of it. 

debbydeb

debbydeb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:54 PM

Interesting Lucky Charm commercial. Do PTX come up with the arrangements (and the melodies) of the 5 different Lucky Charm jingles, or is the "Evolution of Lucky Charm" a retrospective of different versions of Lucky Charm jingles throughout the years it aired? I can't seem to find old adverts on Youtube, and since I don't live in North America (or get American TV) I don't have a clue about their adverts. 

(in other words, are the 5 versions all new or some old?)

Also, in the commercial itself, interesting how the 5 PTX members immediately lend the "diversity" cred that seems to be a staple in advertising these days. (e.g. that Goldieblox advert,  etc). 

The General Mills people better pay PTX a good sum. Not only they sing and arrange well, they are a ready-made diversity group!

(sorry about my english). 

Edited by debbydeb, Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:54 PM.

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2014 @ 12:03 AM

Holy S#@t.  Really?

Where'd you get that piece of news?  

Their Facebook page.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2014 @ 12:51 AM

Interesting Lucky Charm commercial. Do PTX come up with the arrangements (and the melodies) of the 5 different Lucky Charm jingles, or is the "Evolution of Lucky Charm" a retrospective of different versions of Lucky Charm jingles throughout the years it aired? I can't seem to find old adverts on Youtube, and since I don't live in North America (or get American TV) I don't have a clue about their adverts. 

(in other words, are the 5 versions all new or some old?)

I'm almost certain its a brand new jingle.  Not sure if PTX wrote it or not, but they clearly arranged it themselves (5 different times, since its the same jingle in 5 different styles).  

I do get that the name "Evolution of" does seem to imply it's a historical perspective.  It's not though. The marshmallow lineup has frequently changed over the years, so no historical jingle would contain the list this song does.  They must be referring to the styles being indicative of music of each decade.

Although if memory serves me correct the phrase: "Frosted Lucky Charms, They're magically delicious!", which DOES appear as part of this jingle used to be in the classic jingle too.  It's just the rest that's been changed around that one phrase.

EDIT - actually checking further that one phrase used to be the ENTIRE jingle.  The marshmallow descriptions (which again, changed over the years) were spoken and then  "Frosted Lucky Charms, They're magically delicious!" would typically be sung to end the commercial.

Edited by Kromm, Jan 23, 2014 @ 1:20 AM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2014 @ 2:08 AM

I stumbled across the Lucky Charms commercial on Youtube, but Kromm beat me to here. I watched it a few times before I realized that not only are they singing, but they, or rather their animated selves, are drawn in there, too! Cartoon Avi even has a knit hat on.

ETA: Which debbydeb already pointed out...sorry about missing what you said! You are absolutely right that they fit the diversity, even when animated.

Edited by Sharpie66, Jan 23, 2014 @ 2:14 AM.