The Sing-Off

• Please log in to reply

2984 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Anyone else hear that the Sing-Off isn't on NBC's fall or mid season schedule?

Lily Meadows

Lily Meadows

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

It got canceled.

If only they did another December run like the first two seasons, or maybe use it as inevitable place-filler for when NBC's shows fail. Sigh.

calihawaii

calihawaii

Just Tuned In

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

It really is an incredible shame they cancelled what is, in my opinion, the best singing competition show on tv. If you want the show back, please sign the online petition to try and save it.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

And look for #savethesingoff on Twitter and Facebook!

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

I'm not at all surprised that it got canceled. The show started taking itself much too seriously *cough*Ben Folds*cough* instead of being the fun December show it started off as. There were too many college groups who I suspect weren't that appealing to the general public. It got to be too snobbish, elitist, cliqueish, imo. Personally, I was more into the urban and doowop groups. I understand that college a cappella might be a big thing in the college community but I'm not sure it's that big elsewhere.

Lily Meadows

Lily Meadows

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Here's an article about the campaign. I don't really do social networking, but I do talk about this show to my friends a lot. The third season was my favorite even with some judging inconsistencies. I just want Ben Folds on my TV again.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

They got better and more hard core with every season. I think it was too soon to treat it as equivalent to American Idol, and with NBC's overall weak line up, it was doomed.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Look at the positive. No wgwg winners!

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

I think the show was perfect in its original form. A short holiday show that was light and fun to watch. The groups were diverse and entertaining.

The 3rd season was horrific for me. They really screwed up by thinking this genre could be popular enough for prime time. It has a niche and it should have stayed there. And, they screwed up by having mostly "commercial" (not sure what the right word is) groups. Give me the college groups, the old-timers, the street corner singers any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'll be sad if it doesn't come back in its original form, in its original length, and during it's original time slot.

Oh, and they also screwed up by awarding the victory to the group they did in Season 2. Had it gone to Street Corner Symphony or the Back Beats, they would have had far more luck in bringing this genre mainstream.

Whoever made the calls with this show is not in the right job.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

I think the show was perfect in its original form. A short holiday show that was light and fun to watch. The groups were diverse and entertaining.

The 3rd season was horrific for me. They really screwed up by thinking this genre could be popular enough for prime time. It has a niche and it should have stayed there. And, they screwed up by having mostly "commercial" (not sure what the right word is) groups. Give me the college groups, the old-timers, the street corner singers any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'll be sad if it doesn't come back in its original form, in its original length, and during it's original time slot.

Oh, and they also screwed up by awarding the victory to the group they did in Season 2. Had it gone to Street Corner Symphony or the Back Beats, they would have had far more luck in bringing this genre mainstream.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

The WB

The WB

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

As much fun as the 12-episode third season was, I agree that the full-season format was ratings poison for them.

The winner is determined by nationwide public vote, so you've got several million people making the "wrong call".

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

The winner is determined by nationwide public vote, so you've got several million people making the "wrong call".

Well, then, several million people got it wrong, IMO.

Teasing, sort of. I believe voting on Idol and DWTS is credible. With this show, I don't think so. Not sure why, but I don't think it's all above board that way. I think the judges/producers take it to the end to drive the genre - if not by vote manipulation then by comments made along the way to sway the voters.

That's how I feel about it.

Edited by Jextella, May 21, 2012 @ 11:35 AM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

As much fun as the 12-episode third season was, I agree that the full-season format was ratings poison for them.

They might have been able to do a 10 or 12 episode summer series, but going head to head in prime time fall TV was, frankly stupid. But I guess NBC was desperate.

The WB

The WB

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Well, then, several million people got it wrong, IMO.

Teasing, sort of. I believe voting on Idol and DWTS is credible. With this show, I don't think so. Not sure why, but I don't think it's all above board that way. I think the judges/producers take it to the end to drive the genre - if not by vote manipulation then by comments made along the way to sway the voters.

While I don't agree that voting on American Idol is particularly credible-- the obvious voting coups by lovestruck teenage girls turned me off from the show after season 8-- the producersí hand in crafting the top three of the last season of The Sing-Off was very flagrant. The producers didn't have much leeway-- once they decided on the competitors themselves-- to steer the judges in the first two short seasons, opening the door for distinguishing voters in the seasons 1 & 2 finales to vote for the less obvious commercial choices (Nota, Committed).

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Well, all these shows are "rigged" to some degree in the final casting choices. I am of the belief that the judges/producers know who they want to go to the ed from very early on. Then, they surround them with tier 2 people - those who are good enough to have a somewhat credible competition, but not good enough to beat the ones they want in the finals. All the rest are chosen for entertainment and backstory.

It's hard for the public to get it wrong when these shows are all set up by the contestant line-up. I'm ok with that though as it is first and foremost a tv show. Not much we can do there.

And the demographic is what it is. If it's young girls who vote a certain way, it's young girls who vote a certain way. We can't change that either.

Meh. They are what they are. I just think the Sign Off judges and producers voted to advance groups they thought would push the genre to be more commercial. The experiment failed.

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Pentatonix has a new cover up on YouTube and Facebook. Here is a YouTube link to their take on Beyonce's "End Of Time"

Edited by SrPab, May 29, 2012 @ 3:54 PM.

teachmusik

teachmusik

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

New announcement video from Pentatonix with the EP release date! The greeting at the beginning is very loud, haha :)

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

That's great news! I can't wait to buy it.

Does NBC get any cut of the EP sales? On the one hand, I hope not because I want PTX to get as much as possible. On the other, I hope so because then if it does well that might influence NBC to bring back the show in some form.

BTW, how cute was Mitch's reaction to his little flub?

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

On the other, I hope so because then if it does well that might influence NBC to bring back the show in some form.

It might, if they sell as much as Beyonce or Lady Gaga, otherwise probably not much impact even if NBC had a cut.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

Given the low ratings, it would be very hard to bring back the Sing-Off on NBC. If it does come back, there's a long lead time for running auditions.

Anyway, Life after "The Sing Off" - where are groups now. There are one or two surprises in there, but most groups seem to be doing what I assumed they were doing.

luvdisny

luvdisny

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Question about the show.

I watch DWTS and the judges seem to either sit in on dress rehearsal/full runthru of dances on the main stage or atleast have access to taped footage (ex. When Melissa Rycroft hurt her back and they judged her runthru instead of a live performance)

Do we know if the judges on the Sing-Off ever sat in on dress rehearsals to get an idea of what the groups were doing or did they see/hear the songs for the first time 'live' on stage for the taping? I just wondering if the judges knew what was coming or were they just as surprised/amazed/impressed as I was when I first saw 'Dog Days' or 'Lets Get It On' .

I just wonder because incase a group had a total meltdown performance would the judges have a reference if what they were going for. 'Dog Days' was different enough from the original that if there were major mistakes would the judges have recognized them. 'Lets Get It On ' was closer to the original with a Pentatonix twist to that mistakes would have been more noticeable.

Inquirering minds want to know.

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Only 5 more days until the EP is available! Woot!

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Yay! I can't wait for the release! I also have jury duty that day, so downloading Pentatonix will be my reward for doing my civic duty. :)

If you haven't seen it yet, check out their new video. It's a mash up of Justin Bieber's As Long as You Love Me and Katy Perry's Wide Awake. Kevin raps! And Avi's lines at the end are really lovely.

Also they have a few performances for fans in the Los Angeles area. Their release party is sold out, but Sunday, June 24th, they will perform at Universal City Walk at 7 pm.

Edited by Seshat23, Jun 22, 2012 @ 4:59 PM.

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Tomorrow's the big day. Ahhhhh!

Thanks for the video, Seshat. Kevin is one sick dude doing percussion while rapping.

I love their silliness at the end of their videos. Scott made me giggle at his "Click it with your mouse! Click it with your mouse!" And I got a kick out of Avi's crazy low "Byeeeeeee."

ETA:

I bought the album before I left my bedroom this morning and then listened to it during breakfast. I really enjoyed it.

Mitch gets almost equal play as Scott which makes me super happy. I swear there are times when I can actually hear him smiling while he sings.

I didn't feel it had that over-produced sound we were worried about (some people said something about too much layering in some other studio recording way back). However, there were times that they had a faraway/echoey quality that sounded manufactured. Or maybe the sound studio just has those acoustics :)

Overall I'm loving it and plan on listening to it on repeat for a while.

Edited by 4815162342, Jun 26, 2012 @ 7:20 AM.

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

ETA 2:

The album sounds even better with headphones. There are some really cool moments where you can hear Kevin or Avi running around either side of your head.

In Starships, I've been assuming that they sing the line "Bad bitches like me is hard to come by" as normal. But Mr. #s wondered if he was really singing "Bad Mitches like me is hard to come by." That would be cute :)

I didn't realize they wrote The Baddest Girl until we tried and failed to find the original. Cool!

RickyNightshade

RickyNightshade

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I didn't realize they wrote The Baddest Girl until we tried and failed to find the original. Cool!

I know, and it's pretty great, too!

I'd never heard Aha!, but that cover is AMAZEBALLS.

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

I don't remember seeing the Starships video posted here. They're so cute :)

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=_6K8mkytEMY

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

I can't remember where I read it... but their debut EP's other original song, "Show You How To Love", was apparently written by Avi.

Edited by SrPab, Jun 30, 2012 @ 5:51 AM.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Mr. #s wondered if he was really singing "Bad Mitches like me is hard to come by."

That's what I hear too when I listen to the song. So cute!

I'd never heard Aha!, but that cover is AMAZEBALLS.

Same! I'd never heard the song before, but that's one of my favorites now. Well, they're all pretty much my favorites! I love the blend of all of their voices on that song.

They have a revamped official website http://www.ptx-official.com/ and if you sign up for their mailing list, you can get a free download of a studio recording of Love Lockdown.

Edited by Seshat23, Jul 2, 2012 @ 11:51 AM.