The Sing-Off

• Please log in to reply

2984 replies to this topic

Acre

Acre

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

Yes, seshat23 I was about to post "beep-beep red alert" new PTX video! Awesome as always. Mitch is a chameleon.

ETA: Good God, I just listened to an a capella version of Whitney doing this herself, and she is untouchable. I knew that, but I'd forgotten just how much.
PTX tribute is lovely, but my heavens, Whitney. I wish you peace.

I've been doing a look back at all (all 3) seasons, and I'm so confused. Many groups, many many many performances and the only possible conclusion is I basically love them ALL. I did watch Season One but somehow NOTA has yet to make much impression on me, I don't know why - I'm sure the fault is with me, not them.

And then, oh my. I am obsessed with PTX, I think they are absolutely the most fresh, inventive and relevant group they've had, I am mad about each one individually, and collectively even more. Do I need to be specific? Kevin and Avi, amazing, but I feel like they've been given due credit, I get mad that Kirstie and Mitch aren't as acknowledged as much as I think they should be. And then there is the 3: the blend, mix, opposition, harmony, joining, diverging, wow. 3 individually fantastic, who come together to be even greater than the sum of the parts. Well, 2 of the 3 parts, because I adore Mitch and Kirstie, but then there's Scott. Scott is a Star, Scott is The Star.

And I keep watching, and think wait - ultimately I am committed to Committed. A lot less range than PTX, they have a pocket and they stay in it, I don't get into their faith message, but they are so beautiful to my ears. To me, for sheer beauty, along with complexity and harmony, they win.

But nobody beats Pentatonix, so I am in a conundrum until the simple solution: I love them all.

Edited by Acre, Feb 16, 2012 @ 3:03 AM.

va_1587

va_1587

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

And Kevin has a line! :)

I know! I seriously paused and had to rewind a bit to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

The PTX version is a good cover, but Acre, I heard the version you're talking about and yeah, between that and hearing the star-spangled banner again, I was blown away. I had forgotten what a voice Whitney had, too.

Edited by va_1587, Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:50 PM.

teachmusik

teachmusik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Two things:

1) Mitch was on Glee last night as a member of the "Golden Goblets", the glee club that came in third place at the regional competition.

2) PTX is performing live at 10am PST/1pm EST at http://www.youtube.com/whatstrending on the web show "what's trending". I don't know if they're performing first or later on in the show, but they'll be on.

edit: actually three things:

3) The main group on Glee did a mashup of Fly/I Belive I can Fly that was very similar to the Afro-Blue version, only longer and with instruments backing them up. And their harmonies weren't nearly as good. But the structure of the mashup was similar.

Edited by teachmusik, Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:37 PM.

Lily Meadows

Lily Meadows

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

Here's a picture of Mitch on Glee; his group performed (and dressed) madrigal style. So there were two Sing-Off contestants on stage; recall that Jon Hall from Kinfolk 9 is a Warbler.

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Dear lord! I think that's the textbook definition of "blink and you'll miss it." I saw Teachmusik's post before watching and expected a short solo line, maybe a zoom in shot. I didn't expect a 5 second shot from the back of the auditorium before cutting to the glee kids in the dressing room.

Still, thank you for posting or else I would have missed it.

teachmusik

teachmusik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

I actually didn't watch the episode, I thought it would be something longer too. I just saw Mitch's twitter this morning saying that he had been in the Golden Goblets on Glee. Thanks for finding the picture! I had seen Fly/I Believe I Can Fly on a post on EW so I listened to it on youtube this morning to see if it was Afro-Blue's version.

Edited by teachmusik, Feb 22, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

Acre

Acre

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

I got my PTX gear in the mail (hat and t-shirt), and they are both quite well made. Not flimsy/cheap, the logo is sharp, my only possible regret is that the hat is kinda shallow, sits high on the head - but I haven't fully adjusted it yet, either. So if any of you are inclined, not to worry that you're spending money on disposable crap.

Now, then, what is up with you kids??? You mean it's not realistic to come up with 1-2 original versions every damn week? But I want! What do you mean the pace of TSO isn't maintainable over the long haul, I'm spoiled and I want more! Meanwhile, I am duly grateful for the 4-5 new songs you've given us, very grateful indeed.

Lily Meadows

Lily Meadows

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Pentatonix at the 2012 NBA Sprint Pre-Game Concert in Orlando. They performed "Forget You/Since U Been Gone".

FoolOfaBrooke

FoolOfaBrooke

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Pentatonix at the 2012 NBA Sprint Pre-Game Concert in Orlando. They performed "Forget You/Since U Been Gone".

Cripes, my nonexistent kingdom for an a cappella-competent sound engineer. So much good stuff (like Mitch's entire part) getting lost in there.

Not a cappella or even strictly Pentatonix, but I really like this cover of Princess of China that Scott and Kevin did with Tori Kelly (whoever she is) last week. I'm absolutely transfixed by Scott's voice in this. Such power and such control. It boggles my mind that he was turned down for American Idol (three times!) but I'm glad he was because he makes an excellent instrument, rather than "just" a singer.

On another note, last week I got extremely bored and started this Tumblr of Pentatonix memes (feel free to share/submit/ignore/think I'm a crazy person with far too much time on my hands). Within a couple of days it'd been retweeted by the Pentatonix account as well as by Scott, Kevin, and Avi individually. Avi also posted the link to Facebook and started following the blog on Twitter. I was totally blown away! Super talented and super sweet to their fans? That will take them far.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

On another note, last week I got extremely bored and started this Tumblr of Pentatonix memes

I had a lot of fun looking at those when Avi tweeted about it! :)

Re. The NBA concert: The sound wasn't very good, and I was disappointed that they only got to do one song, but it seems like they had a great time. Maybe some more videos of their performances will pop up on YouTube.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Someone just posted this video on the PTX facebook page. Too funny. Scott at 1:24 made me laugh out loud, and Mitch's beatboxing is just precious. I guess this Tod guy was a contestant on American Idol? Small world.

And despite the Dec 2011 posting date, from Kirstie's hair, this was clearly long BEFORE the Sing-Off (and yes, I remember Todrick from Idol)

But AFTER the Sing-Off, they did this (pretty hilarious) video with him: LMFAO Medley featuring Pentatonix

Edited by WileyCoyote, Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:11 AM.

Hopeless

Hopeless

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Pentatonix posted a new video over the weekend: You Da One by Rihanna. As is often the case with them, I've never heard the original, but their cover is a lot of fun -- it's got a bit of a reggae feel.

They also performed in Wildwood, NJ, on Saturday. Here's a link to their performance of Let’s Get It On, with another lucky lady. The same person posted a few others, so check her videos or search for "PENTATONIX 3-17-12" for the other songs they did. It sounds like it was a fun gig -- the crowd seems really into it, and it seems like they got the sound mixed pretty well (unlike some of the other live performances that have been posted).

They also tweeted last week that they just have two more songs to do on the EP before it's released -- yay!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

This is pretty unfunny, but its got PTX in it, so...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9EfTzfIfWxo

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

For any Sing-Off fans in the Boston area, four groups from the show, including Pentatonix, will be performing at a fundraiser for Mass General Cancer Center on April 29th. Ben Folds will host.

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

Thanks for that info, Seshat23. I'll add that it took me a while, but I finally found a site that lists the other performers as the Dartmouth Aires, Delilah and North Shore (even Ticket Master didn't have this info. Sheesh!). For $20 a ticket, a five hour drive, and possibly free housing from a friend of mine, I think we'll be going.

FYI, there are $200 tickets where you get to go backstage, and I would swoon if I got to meet Mitch, but as I said ... $200.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

More Pentatonix news:

The EP is scheduled for release in mid to late May. They are working on album artwork and invited suggestions.

Also, they are performing at another event on April 30th in NYC. Their tweet has a link to buy tickets and get more info. Here's an article about the event. It looks like Pentatonix will perform at the 3 pm show.

4815162342, I hope you report back if you attend the Boston show!

Edited by Seshat23, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:28 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

Why's it just an EP?

I guess that's not the kiss of death it might have been in pre-Itunes days, since nowdays product sells by the song just as often, or more. But I'd have thought a full album from them wouldn't have been any kind of problem.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:05 AM.

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

4815162342, I hope you report back if you attend the Boston show!

I definitely will! My friend got our tickets on Wednesday. And thank god because it sold out between then and yesterday.

Sidenote: Not that it will help anyone with this show, I just thought I'd mention it for future reference. The ticketmaster tickets were $20 with an $11 surcharge PER ticket. However, if you physically went to the arena's box office, the tickets were $22 with no surcharge. So yeah, just word to the wise regarding ticket purchasing options.

Pacodakat

Pacodakat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Watching this last season I immediately loved Pentatonix and Dartmouth aires, with everyone else coming in waves behind them. I was so focused on those two groups that I almost hated the groups that were their closet competition, in terms of winning the prize. So I went back recently and rewatched some of the groups that I dismissed, Urban method and Sonos particularly.

So Sonos....Scott from Pentatonix commented that this group was his inspiration and I couldn’t see it so I looked for other videos of them online and found some that were pretty good. They still come across as annoying, hipsters but they have a solid sound and blend. I think if they had a bass part (like the guy in most of their previous videos) then they would have fared better in the competition. I can see now how they inspire the trio.

Urban Method...I have a hard time with Urban Method mostly because they relied way too much on Mike Charles. I like some rap music and think he is great at what he does but I was just taken out of their selections when the rap part came in. I still don't like them. The only song I can listen to is the Grinch song.
I think Pentatonix also had the best choreography and this gave them such a youthful appeal. I don’t remember any other groups choreography (except Vocal Points every little step and that’s because I loved the video back in the day).

Pentatonix has become a daily watch for me. I always have so much work to do and I find myself neglecting it..on the computer...watching their postings for at least an hour a day. I keep saying I’m only going to watch “Somebody that I used to know” one time and I end up watching that as well as several of their recent appearances. On a bad day I will watch every song they did from The Sing-off. It's ridiculous. I recently saw their version of "I'm on the edge of glory" at a Mary Kay convention. I love this version and the one in the kitchen because at one point Kevin and Avi join in on the harmonies. It's awesome.

Edited by Pacodakat, Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:07 PM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Any thoughts on whether The Sing-Off comes back for a fourth season?

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Hey guys! The show was great. Here’s the set list…

The Dear Abbeys from Boston University opened with a tribal sounding song that might have been called “Take Me Home,” and “At Last.”

Then Ben Folds came out to let us know there had been a change in the program because the Tufts Beezlebubs had crashed the party. I think they were the current “class” of Bubs and not the group that was on season 1 of the Sing Off. They sang “Let’s Get It Started,” “Teenage Dream,” and “We Are Young.” It was kinda cute because during Teenage Dream the lead singer’s voice cracked which was kind of apt if you think about it.

Both groups were good, but just sounded like your standard college groups.

When BF came out again, he made a joke about it being like a “rock concert slash star trek convention.” Not sure what to make of that, but it made me laugh :)

North Shore sang “Runaround Sue,” “The Lazy Song,” “My Girl,” and “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.” During My Girl, they would drop out to have the audience sing “my girl” and one of them went out into the audience and had a kid sing one of the “my girl”s into the mike.

Delilah sang “Grenade,” “How to Love,” an Alicia Keys medley of “Fallin’” “A Woman’s Worth” and “If I Ain’t Got You,” followed by “Dream On.” They totally killed. Also, one of them (Candace?) is noticeably pregnant (and they referenced it, so I’m not just speculating).

The Dartmouth Aires sang “Club Can’t Handle Me,” “Animal,” “Pinball Wizard,” their Queen medley of “Killer Queen” “Bohemian Rhapsody” “Somebody to Love” followed by "Shout." Before the Queen medley, Clark was so cute. He said something to the audience like “You guys are so great, graciously listening to all the acts while you wait for the real reason you’re here. ME!”

Pentatonix came out singing “Video Killed the Radio Star” and kept singing right into “E.T.” and kept singing right into “Your Love Is My Drug.” Then they sang “Telephone,” “You Da One,” “Somebody That I Used To Know,” “Let’s Get It On,” “Dog Days Are Over,” and “Starship.” They sang Let’s Get It On to Kathy/Cathy that was in a group of fans they called “The Pentaholix.” They said Starship was going to be on their EP. And of course, they were fantastic. When telling people to follow them on Facebook and Twitter, Scott said "We're total Tweet nerds."

BF sang “Zak and Sara,” “Fred Jones Pt. 2,” “One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces.” He played the piano so hard the mike stand on it was shaking. He also said at one point, “I know this is cheating – I have an instrument.”

Since the show was to benefit the Mass General Hospital Cancer Center, a chairman (Scott Griffith) and Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith came out to talk about their experiences with cancer and their care at MGHCC.

As a finale, the DA and BF sang “Not the Same” as an a cappella sing along song where they have the audience do the ah-ah harmonizing. During the song, the other groups spread out around the audience and Avi and Kevin stopped in the aisle near us.

Afterwards, we got in line to get a picture with Pentatonix and get their autographs. I told them “You guys never cease to amaze” because I’m a dork. I would have bought a T-Shirt but by the time we got there they didn’t have my size anymore. Which is a good sign for the group I guess! :)

So yeah, great time. I highly recommend it!

Edited by 4815162342, Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:15 AM.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

4815162342, Sounds like it was an amazing show! Thanks for telling us all about it.

cutecouple, I would love it if it came back for another season. I think the numbers weren't great, but considering the low viewer ratings for all networks, and NBC in particular, I wonder if it would be considered good enough. One possibility I've seen mentioned is that they might go back to having it be a smaller scale holiday special.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Clark was so cute. He said something to the audience like “You guys are so great, graciously listening to all the acts while you wait for the real reason you’re here. ME!”

Ohmygod! Haha I love sassy Clark! He's too cute.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Pentatonix has a new cover of We Are Young by Fun. I fucking hate that song because I can't get past the whole "I beat your face a while ago but you took me back" aspect of the lyrics. I know it was voted on by the fans, but I wish it hadn't been one of the options in the first place. But PTX and their arrangement sound great, especially the five-part harmony at the end.

teachmusik

teachmusik

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

There is apparently a show in Utah coming up with Vocal Point, Delilah, and PTX. Anyone going?

EDIT: There is a link to it on PTX's facebook page. It's on May 28 (Memorial Day) at an outdoor venue in Orem, Utah.
http://www.scera.org/events/view//238

EDIT again: less than 24 hours and We Are Young has over 160,000 views. Go PTX! Can't wait for their EP.

Edited by teachmusik, May 8, 2012 @ 8:43 AM.

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Thanks for the video. Loved Avi playing the air bass while he sang. And I will never stop enjoying it when Mitch gets into a song and a smile just bursts out of him.

FoolOfaBrooke

FoolOfaBrooke

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

I fucking hate that song because I can't get past the whole "I beat your face a while ago but you took me back" aspect of the lyrics.

Is that what's going on? I thought he gave her a scar through some kind of drug/alcohol-induced (car?) accident and has been trying to apologize for it while still, of course, continuing drinking and doing drugs. I always read the song as a skewering of the idea that "We are young and invincible and life is one big party and nothing bad will ever happen to us and we'll never have to answer for our mistakes," but maybe that's just my own cynicism shining through.

Either way, I really like the song and thought it was a good musical fit for Pentatonix. (I voted for it.) They did a great job. Love the caribbean/salsa flavor that crashes headfirst into the dubstep-style breakdown. I remember they did a similar thing (in reverse) with "You Da One." That kind of genre-blending is a neat signature for them because it's something few instrumental bands can do, especially live. And PTX does it so well. Random shout out to Kirstie's heels and Avi's last note, which are insanely high and insanely low, respectively.

Didn't see this posted yet: A refurbished version of "Love You Long Time" that will apparently appear on the EP. I dig it. So that means this, "Starships," two other covers and two originals? And still no release date? My impatience knows no bounds!

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I fucking hate that song because I can't get past the whole "I beat your face a while ago but you took me back" aspect of the lyrics.

Is that what's going on? I thought he gave her a scar through some kind of drug/alcohol-induced (car?) accident and has been trying to apologize for it while still, of course, continuing drinking and doing drugs.

Heh. I guess it just goes to show that different people can interpret songs in completely different ways because I thought that the scar was metaphorical, like the sunglasses.

Didn't see this posted yet: A refurbished version of "Love You Long Time" that will apparently appear on the EP.

Yay! I really enjoyed seeing the video of their LAAF performance of this song; I'm glad that this will be on the EP. Can't wait for the release!

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Is that what's going on? I thought he gave her a scar through some kind of drug/alcohol-induced (car?) accident and has been trying to apologize for it while still, of course, continuing drinking and doing drugs.

Here's why I see it that way: He calls her his lover, which would imply they're together. He gave her a scar a few months ago, and she's still trying to forget, and he keeps apologizing and trying to rectify the situation. If he's apologizing MONTHS later, I don't think it was an accident type of situation. He, his lover and all of his friends are depicted as either being currently wasted or on their way there, so I don't think she's some sort of straightedge girl complaining about her boyfriend's drug/drink use. All of that makes me think the scar came from an incident in which he physically wounded her and was very much in the wrong, i.e. domestic violence.

But your interpretation is more charitable than mine, so at least for PTX's version, that's how I'll think of the song so that I can continue to enjoy their amazing performance.

Heh. I guess it just goes to show that different people can interpret songs in completely different ways because I thought that the scar was metaphorical, like the sunglasses.

I don't think the sunglasses qualify as a metaphor, though, they're just shorthand describing the dude who is wearing sunglasses and just tried to move in on his girl. It's meant to be a sort of summation of the dude, i.e. he is the type of douche who thinks wearing sunglasses inside a bar is cool.

But yeah, lyrics are definitely subject to interpretation, sometimes in ways VERY different than what the writer intended. Like people who think "Every Breath You Take" is romantic or when Glee used "Saving All My Love for You" as a "romantic" duet between Christian, abstinence-practicing teens rather than a sad song about what it's like being the Other Woman. Actually, Glee is NOTORIOUS for using songs in ways which makes their lyrics disturbing and/or offensive. Santana's I Kissed a Girl, Rachel & her mom singing Poker Face, the glee club singing What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger) after a kid tries to commit suicide. That show is like the ne plus ultra of inappropriate lyrical application.

Edited by scarlet1815, May 8, 2012 @ 7:54 PM.

FoolOfaBrooke

FoolOfaBrooke

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:56 AM

All of that makes me think the scar came from an incident in which he physically wounded her and was very much in the wrong, i.e. domestic violence.

Fair enough, but I don't think we're supposed to find him sympathetic. He's trying hard to take it back "between the drinks and subtle things, the holes in [his] apologies," ie not that hard. And in the second verse he says he hopes, not that they can get back together, but that they can "find new ways to fall apart," indicating an all around destructive attitude. I don't think it's being portrayed as a healthy relationship. Now that I'm giving the lyrics a good critical look, I think they're critiquing the youthful tendency to see dysfunctional behavior as cool and empowering. When you're young (and drunk/high), you think that setting the world on fire will make you burn brighter than the sun, but in reality you're so wasted and useless that you need someone to carry you home when the bars close. It's a song about the emptiness of partying disguised as an empty party song! I like Fun. In any case, I appreciate when pop songs have a little bit of ambiguity and depth in their lyrics. You know, something beyond "You Stupid Hoe."

ETA(sk): Is Kevin actually singing at the end of "We Are Young"? I've listened to it [redacted] times, and can pick out everyone else's voice but his. I don't know why he would lip synch, though. Does anyone with a better musical ear than mine hear him?

Edited by FoolOfaBrooke, May 9, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.