• Please log in to reply

2984 replies to this topic

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

https://www.nbcumv.com/mv/

The Sing Off
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Dec. 14, 15 & 16 (8-10 p.m. ET); Finale: Monday, Dec. 21 (8-10 p.m. ET)

"The Sing-Off" is a four-night event premiering Monday, December 14 (8-10 p.m. ET), hosted by multi-platinum recording artist, Nick Lachey. The one-of-a-kind battle of voices will continue on December 15 and 16, culminating with a live finale on December 21 (8-10 p.m. ET each night).

Celebrity judges who will critique the singing groups with their expertise are Ben Folds (Ben Folds Five), Shawn Stockman (Boyz II Men) and a rotating third judge who will be announced each night.

The show will feature the country’s top eight a cappella groups performing popular songs like you’ve never heard them before. There’s no lip-synching, back-up bands or safety net. They’ll be singing for America’s vote with the winner walking away with the ultimate prize – an Epic Records/Sony Music recording contract.

"The Sing-Off" is produced by Joel Gallen’s ("America’s Best Dance Crew") Tenth Planet Productions, Outlaw Entertainment and Sony Pictures Television. Joel Gallen, Deb Newmyer and Sam Weisman are executive producers. Josh Greenberg serves as co-executive producer.

NICOLE SCHERZINGER ROUNDS OUT THE PANEL OF JUDGES ON NBC'S A CAPPELLA SINGING COMPETITION 'THE SING-OFF' PREMIERING MONDAY, DECEMBER 14:
http://www.thefutonc...d=20091202nbc01

Eight Singing Groups Competing for an Epic Records/Sony Music Recording Contract Include:
Beelzebubs (Boston, Massachusetts)
Noteworthy (Provo, Utah)
Face (Boulder, Colorado)
Maxx Factor (Baltimore, Maryland)
Nota (San Juan, Puerto Rico)
The SoCals (Los Angeles, California)
Solo (Omaha, Nebraska)
Voices of Lee (Cleveland, Tennessee)

Edited by Sharon, Dec 14, 2009 @ 1:17 PM.

sparrowfletch

sparrowfletch

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 1:04 PM

Is this NBC trying to capitalize on FOX's success? Totally. Is this one of the cheesiest things we've seen on network television in years? Without a doubt.

Will it be addictive? I predict absolutely and I'm excited to watch. It's a nice mix of collegiate (Beelzebubs, Voices of Lee, Noteworthy) and post-collegiate groups (FACE, Maxx Factor, SoCals), as well as two acts put together for the show (Solo and Nota). It's great to see such talented people get their 15 minutes.

I'm personally biased in favor of the Tufts guys (I know them and they're musically sound AND put on a great show) but I'm interested to see how it all shakes out/how NBC deals with the challenges of putting a cappella onscreen.

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

Is this NBC trying to capitalize on FOX's success?

NBC ordered The Sing Off in March (before Glee premiered):
http://www.thefutonc...ws.aspx?id=8002

Glee & American Idol are mentioned in the promos.

The relative ratings success of Clash of the Choirs for NBC in December 2007 likely influenced NBC deciding to pick up this show & air it in December where it will mostly air against reruns.

Edited by Sharon, Dec 14, 2009 @ 1:26 PM.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

Seems kind of promising, but ugh, the group descriptions make it clear they're going for "Most Inspirational Group" rather than "Best Group".

Oh well, comes with the territory. I hope the groups are good enough that I can look the other way on that.

Jabs

Jabs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

A friend of mine from college is in FACE. They are awesome and very different from many of the R&B type acts. I can't wait to see them rock!

I think, as is the norm for any competition these days, music or sport, the networks just try to pull the human interest story to drive emotional investment in the show. They've been doing that in their Olympics broadcasts for years. I don't think it takes away from the groups that actually existed prior to the creation of the show. The ones created just for TV? Who knows.

I'm cautiously optimistic (due to Ben Folds involvement) that musically, this should be good!

Sweetxcape

Sweetxcape

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 6:56 PM

The relative ratings success of Clash of the Choirs for NBC in December 2007 likely influenced NBC deciding to pick up this show & air it in December where it will mostly air against reruns.

As soon as I saw Lachey's name I got so excited, I thought this would be a "Clash of the Choirs II", becasue I absolutely loved that, if only for seeing the over the top Patti Labelle through her shoe on stage. LOL. That was the only time I ever wished I could have audtioned for a reality show, just to be able to work with any of those celebs and the choirs. Good times, Good times.

But this should be good too, I sung Collgege Acapella back in the day and am familiar with most of (the origins, anyway) of these groups, especially the Beelzebubs & SoCal). This should be good TV. Musically this should be very good, espeically since the run of the show is too short to have any producer influence over arrangement/song choice, etc. It should be just the artists doing what they do best, they way they want to.

But they need to bring back clash of the choirs. Please. Pretty please. With whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Dumdeedumdum

Dumdeedumdum

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 8:45 PM

Am sooooo geeked for this show. Among other things, it will ease the Glee withdrawall problem.

So far, I'm happy. Thought the all-in opening number was cool, and kinda loved the spice that Nota brought to a song that is overexposed.

I think the nice Christian kids from Lee U may have made a mistake picking "Unwritten," after the way that Lachey's group CRUSHED IT during Clash of the Choirs. I can never hear that song again without thinking of them.

Also, Nick? You don't have to define "a cappella" every single time you're on camera. We get it, no instruments. We won't forget during the commercial, promise.

Hope this show does well in the ratings. More singing, more dancing, that's what TV needs, IMHO.

Oooo, bad one. Back to Utah, Screechy Girls.

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

10 Questions with The Sing-Off's Nick Lachey:
http://www.tvguide.c...ng-1013109.aspx

INTERVIEW: "THE SING-OFF" HOST NICK LACHEY:
http://www.thefutonc...0091214_singoff

Edited by Sharon, Dec 15, 2009 @ 1:06 PM.

lia47

lia47

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

This show is fun. A nice alternative to reruns. For some reason I thought it would feature only non-established groups...I had no idea college groups would be involved. I love the Beelzebubs - when I was in college my school was on their tour for a couple of years.

Smart move getting Shawn from Boyz II Men as a judge. They did a lot of (great) a cappella back in the day and it shows in his critiques. Ben Folds is awesomely verbose. And that chick from the Pussycat Dolls is just completely unnecessary - but according to the summary above she'll be replaced with someone new tomorrow so, yay! I'm glad they haven't instructed anyone to be the pissy judge...I'm cool with their skewing positive and including criticisms in a way the groups might actually take it to heart.

I'm a leetle bummed with the format of the show...with only eight groups performing abbreviated arrangements, it seems like they all should get to sing more than one song before getting the boot. But I guess that doesn't leave enough time for Nick to explain to the audience for the fifth time that no instruments are involved.

Boring Member

Boring Member

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

The Tufts guys make me think of Andy Bernard from The Office.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Eh, it was just ok. One piece of advice for these groups: don't pick a song that's recently been on Glee. Seriously, you're just asking for the comparisons.

Big Machine

Big Machine

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:07 PM

Turned on my teevee and there were nine Mormons screeching at me while acting "sassy".

Did not deserve this.

Amen. If the Mormon church wants to support amendments banning gay marriage, then I'll support amendments to keep those girls from doing whatever it was they did.

Solo was not good at all. If this were Idol, we would have been saddled with them for at least the next three episodes solely because of backstory.

And, what can I do, as an everyday citizen of this great nation, to get Ben Folds to replace Randy Jackson on Idol?

UrbanShocker

UrbanShocker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:15 PM

And, what can I do, as an everyday citizen of this great nation, to get Ben Folds to replace Randy Jackson on Idol?

Word. For that matter let's replace Kara with Shawn. Nicole, though, can stay with PCD.

As for the show, it was OK. I'm not sure how Maxx Factor is going to do with newer music - I would rather have seem them go and keep Solo. And I think the only reason they kept the Mormons was because of the lead singer's hair - I think it distracted the judges from just how bad they sounded. But overall, not a terrible show.

Edited by UrbanShocker, Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:18 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

At least this show won't be drawn out. I think four nights of this is about enough.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I had never heard of Ben Folds before, but I think he's an excellent judge and I'd love for him to replace Randy; heck, even Shawn could replace Randy. They can get rid of Ellen, too, but I digress...

I don't have any favorites, but I was bummed that the screechy, "sassy" Mormon girls got through.

Solo was not good at all. If this were Idol, we would have been saddled with them for at least the next three episodes solely because of backstory.

No doubt.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

Man, being in the Beezlebubs won't get you laid quicker than a WOW account.

Bob War

Bob War

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

The first 4 groups didn't have any standouts and I was bummed for the rest of the show, but the second set made up for it. Beelzebubs, the SoCal group and Maxx Factor were all good. The 'Bubs are more of what I think of when I think a cappela groups so they're my favorite, but MF was sassy and SoCal was fun. As soon as SOLO opened their mouths I knew they were toast, and after all the build up of how important it was to them, I thought, "damn it's gonna suck to cut them... but cut them."

Ben Folds, awesome judge! He knows his stuff and I was really impressed when he picked out the problem with SoCal's key changes and was able to describe what happened to them. A judge who does know what he's talking about... who knew. Shawn Stockman is also a great pick for this, BTM was so tight vocally. I have no idea why Nicole S. was up there, she can't sing at all and spent the night trying to be Paula Abdul. Thank God she isn't coming back.

It's not a great show, but I missed Clash of the Choirs last year and wished NBC had brought back a round 2 of that - this is an okay fill-in and something different for the holiday.

BTW, CMT has been showing COTC re-runs, I've seen it on my guide channel several times over the last few weeks.

ETA - Nick was surprisingly not a great host. He didn't have any charisma or fire, and just kinda stood there. He was so much more animated on COTC, but I guess he was competing then and had some energy. It's gonig to be tough with 3 more nights of him.

Edited by Bob War, Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:35 PM.

svimouse

svimouse

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:26 PM

And that chick from the Pussycat Dolls is just completely unnecessary - but according to the summary above she'll be replaced with someone new tomorrow so, yay!

Yes, she was clearly cast as the sober Paula Abdul type. The things she said didn't even make sense half the time ("beetle-bubs"? Does she not know what Beelzebub means?). I'm glad to hear she is being replaced. Rotating judges will be welcome as long as they keep Ben Folds (who is talky but at least seems to know music).

The show is fun and will be a nice alternative to reruns but it went on way too long and had too many commercials.

Beelzebub is the only name I recognized since they toured my college as well. I remember them as being a smaller group and more tightly focused but I could be remembering things with rose-colored glasses.

Edited by svimouse, Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:28 PM.

sonk

sonk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

I really, really enjoyed the show. Maybe just because I'm a sucker for a cappella (and my best friend is in the Bubs) but I was very entertained. I actually thought the Mormon girls were pretty good- I thought their individual voices were great, they just had some harmonizing problems. And of course the Bubs were fantastic, and I think they're the clear standout at this point (not just my bias talking, there was not much in terms of competition). I thought Solo was AWFUL, I was surprised that they stuck around just based on their backstory. And the SoCals...I saw them a few years ago and I expected them to be a lot better than they were. They were just OK tonight, nothing spectacular. Hopefully their problems can be chalked up to nerves.

Also, it seemed like the Pussy Cat Doll girl was on drugs. She was so spacey...reminded me a lot of Paula Abdul, actually.

sparrowfletch

sparrowfletch

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

I totally agree on the judging. Loved Ben Folds - he really knows what he's talking about and isn't afraid to nitpick about tuning when necessary. Shawn was pretty good too, but like everyone else I got tired of Nicole - if my house had been playing a drinking game for the words "heart", "soul" or "passion", we would have been dead before FACE got eliminated.

On a side note, the 'Bubs did a hilarious arrangement of PCD's "Buttons" mashed up with "Sexyback" a couple years back - I wonder if she's seen it! EDIT to add link: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Z39fIm0w-zI

Overall, I agree with the eliminations, except I was on the fence between FACE and Voices of Lee for the first elimination. As for the others, IMHO...

SoCals: referenced Glee about three times too many, but they are really really talented. Saw that particular group back when some of them were still in the SoCal VoCals, and they are great in person.

Solo: needed to go. Girl in the polka dot dress was flat, and as tragic as their backstory was, they were the least sound musically. Probably at a distinct disadvantage because they'd only sung together for a couple months.

Noteworthy: Fauxhawk girl is impressive on that note, but don't wear it out! Got screechy toward the end, but I see them going far.

Nota: Awesome. Want to see some different guys take the lead though, not just that one guy.

Beelzebubs: I'm biased, but I thought they were great! Loved the 'human tour bus'. There were one or two musically iffy moments, but covered nicely.

Maxx Factor: Musically excellent. In a barbershop group like that no one can be off pitch, and they were great. Not my favorite style, but hey.

Edited by sparrowfletch, Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:37 PM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

I will watch anything with Nick Lachey.

thethinman

thethinman

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

I guessed I missed the better part of the show by missing the last half. One thing that has been pointed out and which I totally agree with is why do these shows feel the need to give us these treacly back stories about the performers and how this is their big chance for fame. From what I saw tonight I would advise all the performers to keep their day jobs.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:54 PM

Guest judge wishes - Scott Porter from Friday Night Lights, who is a vocal percussionist who was previously in the group "Toxic Audio" and Shockwave, beatboxer from Freestyle Love Supreme and a performer on the Electric Company.

Lovecat

Lovecat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:57 PM

Ben Folds, awesome judge! He knows his stuff and I was really impressed when he picked out the problem with SoCal's key changes and was able to describe what happened to them.

I agree he was great; if you've ever watched America's Best Dance Crew, he's the JC Chasez of the panel (and I happen to love him, too!)--very knowledgeable, and able to articulate the good and the bad without being snotty. Shawn was a good judge, too, but for Nicole, I've just got 2 words: Eden's Crush. Oh yeah, I went there.

Anyway, I thought this was fun. Corny as it was, I enjoyed Clash of the Choirs a couple of years back, and I think this is just some great entertainment for this time of year. I loved the 'Bubs and Nota, and I was hoping FACE would stick around so we could see more of what they can do. I'll definitely tune in for the rest of the episodes....when is the 4th show, though? My cable guide only shows airings Mon-Wed this week.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

Interesting. The mix of groups reminded me of Harmony Sweepstakes, but with more collegiate style a cappella and larger groups. I hate most reality competitions, so I'm mostly fast forwarding through everything but the actual performances.

Edited by cutecouple, Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:00 PM.

sparrowfletch

sparrowfletch

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:01 PM

....when is the 4th show, though? My cable guide only shows airings Mon-Wed this week

The fourth show is next Monday the 21st (1 week from tonight). The first three nights this week are all pre-taped and eliminations are done by the judges, while the finale is live and the audience votes.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

It's a fairly decent cross section of the current a cappella scene, all in all. Unfortunate that it's getting name checked against Glee in the media.

Also, there's an a cappella forum, where many involved with the a cappella community, including the show's arranger, Deke Sharon, are holding forth.

Edited by cutecouple, Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:12 PM.

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:20 PM

Ben Folds, although known mostly as a singer/songwriter/pianist, started out as a percussionist--he lost his college scholarship after he got in a fight & broke his hand & couldn't perform his final exams--so I laughed when he started commenting on one group's percussion. Obviously that's the first thing he notices.

After Ben Folds Five ended, he's done a variety of projects including producing an album for William Shatner &, as mentioned on The Sing Off, producing an a cappella album of Ben Folds covers by college a cappella groups:

Ben Folds Presents: University A Cappella!

JohnR

JohnR

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:44 PM

Voice Of Lee actually has a barbershop connection: The barbershop quartet champion 4 Voices was born from this group. 4 Voices was the first quartet to win both the college championship and the Int'l championship (Vocal Spectrum was the 2nd).

My old barbershop chorus from NYC thought about booking them for a show, but decided not to since their heavily Christian repetoire would not have sat well with our predominantly Jewish audience.

Yeah for Ben Folds. I knew he would be an amazing judge. And the guy from Boyz II Men was a good choice as well. But what was that garbage coming out of the PCD's mouth? All she did was smile and talk like a horoscope. Glad she is gone tomorrow night.

Based on reality TV cliche, once the final two was Maxx Factor and SOLO, I knew Maxx Factor was going home. I was shocked that they stayed. This is one show where backstory doesn't always win. YEA!

Lovecat

Lovecat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2009 @ 12:17 AM

....when is the 4th show, though? My cable guide only shows airings Mon-Wed this week

The fourth show is next Monday the 21st (1 week from tonight). The first three nights this week are all pre-taped and eliminations are done by the judges, while the finale is live and the audience votes.

Many thanks! When in doubt, scroll down :)

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2009 @ 12:28 AM

The Tufts guys make me think of Andy Bernard from The Office.

I thought the same thing, Andy Bernard x 12. Loved the total non-reaction from the coeds when they were performing.

Ben folds is way to passive agressive to be a judge. I know it's the first round but it's okay to just outright give a critic vs some passive agressive ego soothing "hey you changed keys three times in the song but it's still okay, we still liked you"

Solo had to go. I wasn't too suprised that they got offed early, when the judges were pretty much telegraphing it with thier praise of how they had to overcome adversity just to get there, sing each song like it's you last... The bummer is that they had talent, they just needed to harmonize and sing together. (and maybe pick a song that wasn't autotuned to death) How apt a name, solo.