4-12: "The Getaway" 2009.12.13 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

433 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 5:03 AM

Season finale!

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Dec 14, 2009 @ 6:49 AM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

Welp, I knew someone big had to die, and I figured it would be Rita--especially since, but the end of the show, there was no "game changer" as TPTB kept touting. I knew that this season wouldn't end exactly as the others. Whoa. Poor Harrison (though, at least he wasn't left there for days like baby Dexter was). I feel bad for Dexter and the kids...and bad for Rita for dying like that. I can't lie, though, I never liked her and won't miss her character.

Now, because Rita is dead (and Paul died), I wonder if Dexter legally adopted Cody and Astor. If not, I could see a custody battle between Paul's parents and Dexter in the works.

I still don't understand Deb's motivation for this whole CI business.

Where were the consequences for LaGuerta and Battista?

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

• Interests:Classic rock, bead weaving, playing the guitar and writing music.

Watching this, I was all "Man, this is anticlimactic... Just what I expected. Of course Lithgow was going to die OHMYFUCKINGGODHEKILLEDRITA! It's about fucking time!" Yeah, it's sick how the baby was left. And what was done to the kids. But I am satisfied at least with the very ending of the ending. And I don't care if it makes me a cold-hearted bitch. That is just how I feel.

Bye, John Lithgow. It was fun to see you play Evil Dick, version 2.0.

Edited by Myndela, Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:01 PM.

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

OMFG

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Did that just happen?

Did I just see what I thought I saw?

Wow! This is why I don’t do spoilers. Because that was…..wow.

Poor Rita.

Poor Dexter.

Poor Cody, Aster and Harrison.

Poor me, having to wait for next season.

And I liked Rita.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:01 PM.

jase

jase

Fanatic

Holy. SHIT.

Tocks

Tocks

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Holy shit!! I was used to a lot of Rita hatred and death-wishing but never ever ever saw that coming. I'm still in chills!!!! Those poor kids. Poor Dexter. Poor Rita. Thank God we didn't have to see the actual murder (obviously we couldn't for shock effect but...) I can't imagine being killed in front of my baby. Although I guess we've seen Dexter's mom's murder so it would be the same idea. Wonder if Rita found out what Dexter really was before she died? I hope not.

And to think I was ready to turn the TV off when the cheery finale music started. Well played, show. Well played.

Wow.

So next season we have Single Dad Dexter? Is he going to have a full-time nanny? Or are Rita's (Paul's?) parents going to be raising the kids?

ETA: I loved the scene where Deb told Dex about his mother and brother. I was expecting her to sit on the information so I was impressed with that whole thing. Least Deb's alive and well, I'd quit the show otherwise. Now more than ever Dexter is gonna need her.

Edited by Tocks, Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:04 PM.

kathy999

kathy999

Video Archivist

Holy fucking shit! My head, has been blown off of my body! Wow! More later when I can think.

swatymyers

swatymyers

Video Archivist

Dayum.

SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:02 PM

I...

I...

I.... don't even know what to say right now.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT OH MY GOD!!!!

helloagain

helloagain

Couch Potato

HO.LY. Shit. I did not see that coming.

hentai.wolf

hentai.wolf

Channel Surfer

Just as I thought it was going to be a generic ending, they blew me away. I was thinking, "Okay, he got Trinity, everything is fine." Wow.

SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart

Channel Surfer

(Whoops. Computer double posted.)

Edited by SomewhereApart, Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:03 PM.

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

I was used to a lot of Rita hatred and death-wishing but never ever ever saw that coming.

I was one of the Rita haters and death-wishers, but I never saw that coming, either! And now I feel kind of bad that I hated Rita so much, heh.

Holy fucking shit, indeed.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

Good God. I did not see that coming! I can't believe how shocked I was. Just when this show was getting boring and disappointing...wow. I'm thinking Rita was safe and sound, then the phone rang...then the baby in the blood. Wow. This show is sick!

I can't wait for next season.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

I'm not prone to swearing, but holy fuck. I was 100% unspoiled and had no idea that was coming.

The "you're my constant" scene between Deb and Dexter came off as creepy to me.

Also, I wonder if AM's family will recognize Dexter at some point.

lazarus73

lazarus73

Video Archivist

I hope they write Cody and Astor off the show. It wouldn't be hard. Just give them to Rita's bitchy mom.

Moviesnob

Moviesnob

Video Archivist

• Interests:movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Corgi

As soon as they had the happy honeymooners scene where Dexter finally felt how much he loved Rita and they decided to go to the Keys, that she was done for. I was hoping for more in the big twist, dealing with Deb and Dexter's background, but I'm glad they're going darker than ever. I'll also be interested in the dynamic Dexter takes with Harrison now that he's a single dad.

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

That ending felt like a series finale, with the story coming full-circle. I don't mind Rita's tragic death, but it feels too early.

SimoneS

SimoneS

Stalker

Didn't see that one coming. I thought Dexter was going to have a happy reunion with Rita. How does Dexter explain why Trinity randomly chose to kill Rita and place Harrison in blood? Deb knows about Dexter's history. Next season is going to be crazy good.

John Lithgow proves himself again an amazing thespian. Kudos to John.

runwaywatcher

runwaywatcher

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

That was below the belt. I feel sick to my stomach. In addition to that not really being the "imaginative writing" we were all hoping for... it was a terribly insenstive way to get rid of that character.

I'm done with this show and I hope I can convince my boyfriend not to bother watching this season. He loves Rita more than I do :(

Shame on the writers. Not just because they apparently suck at writing but because they killed off a character without giving her at least a good season. Pathetic and sad. I absolutely hate this show forever! Rant over.

hentai.wolf

hentai.wolf

Channel Surfer

I also thought they might do something to Rita. And I always liked Rita, probably because of my Buffy/Angel roots. She got more attractive every season, although I know makeup and hair has a lot to do with that. But by the end it seemed like they had missed their chance.

Really good setup for next season too.

sweetestsiren

sweetestsiren

Channel Surfer

I knew that some twist was coming, but I figured that it would involve Deb finding out more about Dexter, or the police beginning to question the Trinity evidence that was planted on that other suspect.

That...wow. I don't even know. My head is spinning! Well played, show. Well played.

Caryn

Caryn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

There are no words.

I was one of the Rita haters and death-wishers, but I never saw that coming, either! And now I feel kind of bad that I hated Rita so much, heh.

Okay, except those. That's exactly what Mr. Caryn said... after we sat in silence for something like 5 minutes.

I need to go process now. Well done, SHOW. Way to suck me back in just when I was ready to say, "Goodbye."

Edited by Caryn, Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:07 PM.

drhenning

drhenning

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:07 PM

I would say this is a game changer... I will miss the Trinity Killer.. He certainly went outwith a bang ( or slash)... Glad he kept the baby alive..

D

shadowgirllost

shadowgirllost

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

The fact that Trinity killed Rita was not shocking to me at. all. But the baby in the blood... that got me right in the gut. I had a very visceral reaction to that.

lazarus73

lazarus73

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

While the ending is, of course, an awesome one, one which gets Dexter out of the tight spot killing-wise that he's been in, I wish Showtime hadn't quasi-spoiled it. I never believed Rita would get killed and in fact I pooh-poohed people who predicted she'd be killed, but once all that Showtime talk about a "game changer" that "changes everything" came out--what could that be other than Rita and/or the kids getting offed, or Deb finding out about Dexter? One or the other.

But that's the fault of Showtime marketing. Kudos, show. They can do anything now. Take Dexter anywhere. A whole new cast in a whole new setting, if they liked. Can't wait.

Sparger Springs

Sparger Springs

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

SHOCKED!!! I did not see that coming. I thought Rita would be in the bedroom wanting to know why Dexter was getting in so late after she found out he wasn't really working or something.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

How will this play out next season? Trinity's family may read about Dex's wife or see a picture of Dexter. I'd hate to be a writer on this show trying to keep all loose ends untangled.

BrilliantBrkfst

BrilliantBrkfst

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

=insufferably pleased with myself=

I called it in the spoilers forum last week

I didn't expect Baby Harrison in blood, though I probably should have, since I predicted that Rita would be a Trinity kill. The reality is that there's nowhere they could go with that marriage.

Still very, very upsetting. Trinity's murders are so psychologically horrifying, in addition to being so gruesome. Now I have to go to sleep and go to work tomorrow? Yeesh.

So now I guess we will have damaged Deb and damaged Dexter raising damaged Harrison. With Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter being married IRL, that should be very interesting.

I knew as soon as Dexter went back to the house what had happened. I hoped it hadn't (as awful and whiny as Rita has been this season), but I knew.

Wow. Just wow. Even though I knew.

Edited by BrilliantBrkfst, Dec 13, 2009 @ 10:14 PM.