Nitpicks and Criticisms: That’s Sloppy! You're Sloppy Babies!

• Please log in to reply

1194 replies to this topic

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

We all know it, sometimes the writers take leave of their senses. Sometimes someone with the pen just conveniently ignores what the person before him wrote in the last episode. Sometimes something just doesn't make sense. Here's a place to pick at the show mercilessly.

I'll start: What is the lack of continuity? Remember back in "Showmance" when the Club was supposed to be limited to singing pre-approved songs on Figgins' list (all of which featured with Jesus or Balloons)? Did they think we'd just forget by filling Acafellas with all Will all the time?

Anyone taking bets that this recent disqualification of Will from competition in Mattress somehow is completely forgotten by the time the show starts its spring/summer run?

MboyHobbs

MboyHobbs

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:17 AM

I thought he was just DQed from sectionals.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:25 AM

I thought he was just DQed from sectionals.

They didn't say anything about Sectionals, just "banned from competition." I assumed immediate disqualification would last until the next school year. If the team was disqualified they wouldn't be able to compete in Sectionals Regionals or any competition; why should it be different for Will?

MboyHobbs

MboyHobbs

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 1:38 AM

Oh, well, I suppose we'll have to see what happens with that. They could go a whole bunch of ways. But I think, if the team were disqualified from Sectionals, they wouldn't be able to compete in any other competitions, because they wouldn't have been able to advance. If that makes sense....it's late.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 3:38 AM

Anyone taking bets that this recent disqualification of Will from competition in Mattress somehow is completely forgotten by the time the show starts its spring/summer run?

No. The song approval got forgotten, true, but that happened by the very next episode and ultimately wasn't all that vital to the plot. One episode writer out it in one script, the next writer didn't get the heads up, and Ryan Murphy forgot to reconcile the two (or it was done, but got cut for time).

Whereas Will's suspension is stretching at least across one more episode--so its not just the work of one scriptwriter.

Will's suspension WILL disappear by the Spring season, I have zero doubt of that, but it will be explained. Probably just with a "glad to see you're back from your suspension Mr. Shue" line, which doesn't really EXPLAIN it, but it does acknowledge it.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

Not quite a nitpick, but I find it hard to believe that Rachel doesn't have the show-choir rulebook memorized.

And going back to Hairography, it's it required that they sing a ballad? If I squint hard enough, I suppose "True Colors" or "Don't Stop Believing" could be stretched to count, but they didn't even acknowledge it

justbecasue

justbecasue

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

Not quite a nitpick, but I find it hard to believe that Rachel doesn't have the show-choir rulebook memorized

She knows what rule wasn't in there like that a ballad wasn't a requirement.

But for all we know she does know the rules, it is why she didn't ask for payment for the commerical.

Is glee a class and a club, why does the bell dismiss them if it is just a club?

cruiscinlan

cruiscinlan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

Not quite a nitpick, but I find it hard to believe that Rachel doesn't have the show-choir rulebook memorized.

It's because Sue has got the only copy from the library, I'm sure.

Vexrm

Vexrm

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:01 PM

I'm hoping Finn gets fired. He got his job due to being in that wheelchair. A job never mentioned again. Then he gets up and does the Jump video. I'm sure his employers will see it and recognize it.

As for the bell thing? My highschool had an optional period at the end of the day for clubs and such that was announced as over with a bell. Most clubs respected that alotted time as there were late buses that ran for those that stayed.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:35 PM

Didn't she give it to Will in Showmance?

justbecasue

justbecasue

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:58 PM

As for the bell thing? My highschool had an optional period at the end of the day for clubs and such that was announced as over with a bell. Most clubs respected that alotted time as there were late buses that ran for those that stayed.

I can live with that. Than on Thursdays have a longer practice that the football players can attend still.

RainbowClouds

RainbowClouds

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

Is glee a class and a club, why does the bell dismiss them if it is just a club?

It's possible that Glee Club sometimes happens during lunch time and the bell signifies that lunch is over and class has started.

What bothered me was that last episode it seemed that each teacher had an individual page dedicated to them in the yearbook. That's going to take up a lot of pages in the yearbook.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 6:02 PM

Isn't it unlikely that somebody who can bake Apology Cookies (Rachel) would not be able to hack baking cupcakes or whatever for the bake sale? Or heck bake cookies for the bakesale.

Where did Puck's Yamaka go after the slushie incident and why did he even have it then? He should either where it all the time if he's Orthodox or only wear it in temple if he's not all that religious.

The "turning thirty" thing in Sue's journal not jibing with her thinking Push It was the most disgusting thing she'd seen "in 20 years of teaching and that's including a grade school production of Hair" I just chalk up to her insanity.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

Which actually leads me to a second nitpick - why have we only seen Sue with a show choir rule book and why is Will so unfamiliar with it? Don't they just send out a copy to every team? (I can understand Sue getting it as a leader of the club, but having to check it out from the library?) Why hasn't Will read it?

Also, I find it odd that it's in a book for anyway. Don't they have to revise it occasionally? Isn't that unnecessarily expensive? And are there than many rules that it warrants a book that thick?

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 11:06 PM

Why hasn't Will read it?

I suppose we could go with the "he's a dumbass" explanation.

Until recently, he's certainly been acting like that.

Also, I find it odd that it's in a book for anyway. Don't they have to revise it occasionally? Isn't that unnecessarily expensive? And are there than many rules that it warrants a book that thick?

Did we physically see the book? If not, then it could just be a spiral notebook, with pages they print out on a standard printer and "bind" themselves. That's how most stuff on that level is made/assembled.

Kteach

Kteach

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

The "turning thirty" thing in Sue's journal not jibing with her thinking Push It was the most disgusting thing she'd seen "in 20 years of teaching and that's including a grade school production of Hair" I just chalk up to her insanity.

I chalk it up to being a pathological liar. I'm pretty sure that 90% of what come out of Sue's mouth is untrue.

StarrieEyedKat

StarrieEyedKat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:09 AM

Did we physically see the book? If not, then it could just be a spiral notebook, with pages they print out on a standard printer and "bind" themselves. That's how most stuff on that level is made/assembled.

Yes, we saw the book. I don't remember which episode, but Sue had it and when they showed it, the cover looked like it was from the '70's.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:11 AM

We have seen the book and it is hardbound, iirc.

Anyone in a high school activity that involves any level of competition should know WTF "amateur status" is. Anything. Sports, music, art, whatever. It's not something nitpicky that only anal-retentives trying to bring down Glee would know - it's the BASICS.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:24 AM

Yes, we saw the book. I don't remember which episode, but Sue had it and when they showed it, the cover looked like it was from the '70's.

We saw it in "Throwdown" when she said the rule about not all kids have to perform every number.

HowHardCouldItBe

HowHardCouldItBe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 3:43 AM

This show has all the Continuity Control of a .... thing with zero continuity control. I try to let that be my continuity and just roll with it. Watching Kurt helps.

totallybff

totallybff

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:06 AM

Anyone in a high school activity that involves any level of competition should know WTF "amateur status" is. Anything. Sports, music, art, whatever. It's not something nitpicky that only anal-retentives trying to bring down Glee would know - it's the BASICS.

Well to be fair, I think amateur status is only negated when you compete for monetary or material gain (in sports anyway). I'm not sure a mattress qualifies as material gain. Also, I don't think a commercial counts as a competition of any sort, wouldn't it be kind of like any other job? They just happen to be singing; they're not in some sort of professional competition or anything. The show just seems to be making up rules as they go along to create the conflict/plot of the week.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:11 AM

Its defentitly a book, Sue smashed it into Will's chest during the scene where Glee club is 'over'

edited as why would Will smash it into his own chest?

Edited by Reny Sue, Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:15 AM.

Tjax

Tjax

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

I'm a little confused about the timeline on the show. In the pilot Will says to Figgins "Give me two months. If we shows at regionals Glee stays" which implies regionals is 2 months after the pilot, yet we aren't even at sectionals and i'm pretty sure more than 2 months have gone by. Also assuming regionals is the last or near last episode of season 1, does that mean season 1 took place in a 2 month period?

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:04 PM

This show has all the Continuity Control of a .... thing with zero continuity control. I try to let that be my continuity and just roll with it. Watching Kurt helps.

If you're expecting continuity from a Ryan Murphy show...well...don't. *thinks of Matt on Nip/Tuck and the ever-changable age.*

A possible nit is them somehow having yearbooks come out in November or so. But it's possible that scene at the end could have just been set in June, when the yearbooks came out.

Edited by MethodActor05, Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:08 PM.

justbecasue

justbecasue

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:25 PM

I have to think the defacing of the yearbook is in the future. Really you can't take photos one day and than have the book by the end of the week.

But than again on glee you can shoot a commercial and have it on tv in less than a week.

Secret Symphony

Secret Symphony

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:35 PM

* I find it really hard to believe that Rachel's 2 gays dads who have destined their daughter for stardom since she was a toddler haven't moved to New York yet to make that dream happen. Is it really believable that they would be living in some small town in Ohio rather than in a city where they can make Rachel's dream and their dream for Rachel come true? That has always bugged me. It's clearly not a case of Rachel wanting her name in lights and her Dads not really being supportive.. they want it for her just as much as she wants it for herself.

* It bothers me way more than it should that it seems like all the Glee kids are not only in the same classes but in the same Grade. That's really really odd for a Club that covers 4 grades in High School.

I have to think the defacing of the yearbook is in the future. Really you can't take photos one day and than have the book by the end of the week.

Yeah, taking yearbook photos and then giving out the yearbook in December was just ridiculous not to mention the fact that the sign the Glee Club was holding said 2009 when 2010 should have been included.

Edited by Secret Symphony, Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:36 PM.

zfish

zfish

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 3:08 PM

It is things like the yearbook issues (2009 only, coming out mid-year, etc) along with other things that make me think that they made the show assuming they would be canceled, so they threw in as much as possible into these 13 episodes assuming that was all they would get. So much gets glossed over. I can assume things happen off screen, but there are some major points I would prefer to see. Such as Tina and her stutter. I would have like to something, no matter how short a scene, about how everyone knows she does not stutter. The reason this bothers me in particular is we saw that her revelation to Artie did not go smoothly, but all of a sudden now, everyone (in glee club, at least) knows she doesn't stutter and she and Artie seem okay, even though he was upset with her. Her stutter was a defining character trait, for better or worse, but it is dropped without adequate (for me) explanation.

novice242

novice242

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

First time poster here. I want to add my nitpick even though it's not from the latest episode. I find it disappointing at least that in "Ballad" Will mentioned Puck and Rachel dating when we didn't get any reaction from the glee club kids on this development. Will has always been shown to be oblivious, but somehow he picked up on Puck and Rachel as a couple? I guess I'm mostly upset that we didn't get to see more jealousy from Finn and Quinn and more surprise and snark from the rest of the kids regarding Puck and Rachel. (I hope this is the appropriate place for my criticism.)

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:23 PM

My only real complaint? It's late fall/early winter in OHIO and the girls are running around bare-legged. I mean, Quinn actually wore a shirt made of gauze in mid-November. Ohio is cold. Ohio has snow. Ohio requires boots and parkas and, I don't know, tights, when wearing short skirts. The boys are all dressed seasonably appropriate in long-sleeved shirts and hoodies and jeans, yet the girls walk around like it's mid-May. Rachel and Quinn's clothes are just ridiculous.

I guess I'm mostly upset that we didn't get to see more jealousy from Finn and Quinn and more surprise and snark from the rest of the kids regarding Puck and Rachel.

Especially jealousy from Quinn. We got a look from Quinn during "Sweet Caroline" when he realized Puck was singing to Rachel, but absolutely nothing from Quinn. Sure, we got that great reaction shot when she suddenly saw Puck in a new light, but he openly chose football over Glee and rushed into Rachel's arms, and nada from her. For a girl suddenly taking a like to her baby's father, you'd think she'd have reacted more. Also, that episode demanded Kurt snark and it was a travesty when it didn't appear. He should have been #1 on the R/P bandwagon as it would help with his Finn crush and he couldn't have cared less. It's both a missed opportunity as much as a criticism.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:24 PM

I find it really hard to believe that Rachel's 2 gays dads who have destined their daughter for stardom since she was a toddler haven't moved to New York yet to make that dream happen. Is it really believable that they would be living in some small town in Ohio rather than in a city where they can make Rachel's dream and their dream for Rachel come true? That has always bugged me. It's clearly not a case of Rachel wanting her name in lights and her Dads not really being supportive.. they want it for her just as much as she wants it for herself.

I was also confused about this. Especially since hyper successful Carmel High School and Vocal Adrenaline are within driving distance. Even if Rachel's dads can't afford a private school, they could at least move to Akron and get Rachel into VA, I doubt she'd have much trouble making the team.

First time poster here. I want to add my nitpick even though it's not from the latest episode. I find it disappointing at least that in "Ballad" Will mentioned Puck and Rachel dating when we didn't get any reaction from the glee club kids on this development. Will has always been shown to be oblivious, but somehow he picked up on Puck and Rachel as a couple? I guess I'm mostly upset that we didn't get to see more jealousy from Finn and Quinn and more surprise and snark from the rest of the kids regarding Puck and Rachel. (I hope this is the appropriate place for my criticism.)

Welcome to the board novice242! And yes, this is the place for all griping and complaining about the show.

Edited by Maximum Taco, Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:25 PM.