Justified: Sheriff Bullock Is Back in Town

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5310 replies to this topic

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Adam WarRock Justified

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

This article is a nice tribute to the series, but it is a tad spoilerish in regards to the season finale:

http://www.usatoday....nale/54136642/1

This comment is by Andrea Reiher of Zap2it: (Beware of this one -- I suppose it's no different than some of the others, but something in the way she expresses it set my mind reeling)

Spoiler

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Thank you for the review, Nicodelaney. I've always enjoyed Robert Bianco and agree with him more than any other critic out there.

Here's a small, non-spoilery review from Variety

I agree with the author that Justified is superior to Sons of Anarchy. IN fact, in my opinion, the former buries the latter, even with a bit of a weaker third season nearly in the can.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

SOA's third season isn't going into any time capsule I can imagine.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Words cannot express how excited I am for the finale tonight. And then I will cry my little eyes out that it will be off my TV for way too many months.
Must...stay...spoiler...free!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

"Oh shit, it's a piggy bank!"
Damn, that was a fucked up ending. Though the Arlo-Raylan relationship has always been fucked up.
I'm glad Limehouse will be around another season, he was quick with that knife.
Little things that make this show: When Limehouse 'disarmed' Quarles and he reached for his arm and Raylan pulled it away.

Edited by AimingforYoko, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Wow, Arlo, you absolute piece of shit. The fact that Raylan was so nonchalant about it was the most heartbreaking thing. Of course my dad loves Boyd more than me, enough that he'd kill me to save his life. No big deal; that's Arlo. Ow, my heart.

I have never been as upset or disturbed by anything on this show ever as I was by Ava hitting Ellie Mae. God, that was awful. And also part of an interesting arc for Ava, but, still.

Loved how the final confrontation with Quarles went down. They countered Chekhov's gun with Chekhov's cleaver. Awesome. And Quarles being so delighted by the "piggy bank" was great.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Good Lord, this was intense. I really think this episode really made the whole season. Damn, that was one hell of a payoff. Raylan scaring the shit out of Wynn Duffy, Quarles getting disarmed and the "piggy bank" line, and just the last scene with Winona realizing what Arlo shooting the man with a hat meant. Fuck, this show really gets to me sometimes.

Wow, Arlo, you absolute piece of shit. The fact that Raylan was so nonchalant about it was the most heartbreaking thing. Of course my dad loves Boyd more than me, enough that he'd kill me to save his life. No big deal; that's Arlo. Ow, my heart.

Good Lord, the absolute heartbreak in his body language just killed me. Talk about showing and not telling.

Edited by mustbekarma, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:06 PM.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

"I disarmed him" cracked me up.

Holy shit,Arlo willing to kill his son? I kinda thought Arlo would end up taking the fall for Boyd.

Edited by marleyfan, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:01 PM.

Allie J

Allie J

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

That was outstanding. I spent the episode in abject terror that Quarles was going to do unspeakable things to those two boys. Worse than when the pedophile tossed Loretta into his trunk. And then the arm. The ARM! I just canít even.

That final scene killed me. Oh, Raylan...

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

That was crazy.

Raylan pulling it away as Quarles reached for his arm? Holy crap. I think I did a some covered mouth shrieking when Chekov's cleaver (nice, ReadIshmael) came a'swinging.
Glad Limehouse survived, and Wynn too. Loved the Raylan/Wynn scene.
Raylan finally seeing Quarles' rail gun: "That's cute."

The whole Raylan/Arlo relationship is so brutal. Raylan can try to brush it off all he wants, but it's gotten to him. Arlo was willing to shoot him to protect Boyd. BOYD. Who even though he murdered Devil, I was happy to see get away with it and out of jail. I for some reason have no morals when it comes to Boyd Crowder.
Oh Johnny. You probably won't be long for this world next season, once they start to put the pieces together.
Ava going all Delroy was pretty intense too.

Gah, Corrine Mackey? Actually she wasn't too bad here. The kid who played the youngest son did a good job, when he was crying in the background in the van, he broke my heart a little, he looked so scared.

The scene with Winona was nice. I know she's tired of it, but she was pretty cold towards Raylan. Hopefully her realization at the end makes her be a little nicer.

I agree, Allie, I was worried Quarles was going to kick the mom and younger son out and keep the older son. Yeesh. Have to give the show credit for creating such a terrifying character and floating ideas like that out there to the audience, but then taking it in a whole different direction.

Emmys all around!

Edited by babyblackcat, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

Allie J

Allie J

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

I for some reason have no morals when it comes to Boyd Crowder.

I keep trying to figure out if I have no morals when it comes to him, or if I just want him out of jail because Mr. Goggins dazzles me and I don't want him swept away in prison where he can't have lots of interesting scenes. I suspect it's a combination of the two. Boyd Crowder is such a fascinating character.

And I was too caught up in the arm and the heartbreak and the Quarles-induced terror to mention it before, but was everyone else as shocked as I was at cousin Johnny's betrayal? I didn't see that coming at all, and it makes me kinda sad. I liked Johnny as a loyal member of the crew and now he's stabbing Boyd in the back. (I was rather disappointed in Devil as well.) I guess I really don't have any morals when it comes to Boyd. It was the same story with Shane Vendrell. I blame Mr. Goggins.

mugsy66

mugsy66

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

So, Raylan finds out that Arlo was willing to kill him to protect Boyd...and heads for Winona, who confirms that he can hit the road there too. Agree with the poster above that Raylan's nonchalant telling was killer, and heartbreaking.

Limehouse isn't done, which is fine by me...he hasn't really shown himself yet. But I knew that Errol was gone, just surprised that Limehouse let him live.

Special shoutout to the Raylan/Win scene, and was I wrong to hope Duffy would buy the farm? I suppose it would put Raylan in a mess even Art couldn't fix.

And, Adam Arkin was terrific. Loved his movie reference. Sure, Quarles, come on home to Detroit, bring the cash, and die.

Great episode, but plenty to keep me hooked...Johnny will get his, Win is still in play, which means Tonin is the new carpetbagger in absentia, Ava is going Ma Barker, and Boyd, well Boyd lives to fight another day.

So, when does Justified return?

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Another great finale.

First off, I had to laugh when Duffy said he was going to midnight mass. That entire scene was excellent, with Duffy legitimately freaking out. Good acting by him and TO.

I knew there was no way Quarles could have gunned down Tom and I was right. Thought it might be Arlo but damn...is the relationship between him and Raylan ever fucked up. This was definitely Raymond Barry's best performance on the show and it looks like we won't be seeing a lot more of him after this. At least not on a regular basis.

Didn't see the Johnny betrayal coming. Boyd had better start replenishing his ranks.

I'm glad Quarles didn't end up killing that family. It made for some good scenes though. The disarming aside, the final showdown was a little anti-climatic. But made up for with the final couple of minutes.

I'm glad Boyd beat the wrap too.

So, the Justified season finale continues its tradition of wrapping up its main storyline. What we have left is Boyd still alive and running his organization but with Johnny looking to get rid of him and Limehouse still alive. Can't wait to see what they have in store next season.

Common

Common

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

"Shit, it's a piggy bank!" Line of the season.

Poor, poor Raylan. His (evil) daddy loves (evil) Boyd enough to kill his own son. As if selling Raylan to Miami last time wasn't enough.

Love that Boyd, Wynn, and Limehouse are all still around. Wynn is just a perfect little psycho, I feel like he and Boyd are going to team up next season. And Johnny! Traitor.

I wonder if we'll see more Adam Arkin, who is awesome.

Why such short seasons!?

Allie J

Allie J

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Adam Arkin was terrific. Loved his movie reference.

When he told his underling to look for that Paul Newman movie in his DVD collection, I said to my television, "You're on vacation and you travel with your DVDs?" I was all set to be annoyed and then he was like, "Oh wait, I'm in California and my DVDs are at home in Detroit." Oh show, I love you so much. You think of everything.

was I wrong to hope Duffy would buy the farm?

Yes! Yes, you were wrong! (I am simply substituting my own opinion for yours. Isn't that polite?) I just love Jere Burns in that role and I found myself praying he'd slip out of the car explosion charges so we could have Wynn around next season to delight me further.

Between this and rooting for Boyd, my moral compass has been completely recalibrated.

Leroyiscrazy

Leroyiscrazy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

That was a great finale and so so different from the last two.

Arlo is just putrid. Even being mentally ill I can't muster a bit of sympathy for him. He's willing to take the fall for Boyd and kill his own son for Boyd. He must have really hated Frances.

And ofcourse Boyd got away from Raylan yet again.

Can't say that I care for pimp Ava. But it seems to be consistent with her character to do the exact opposite of what she said she was going to do. Joelle is a good actress, but being the heavy seems really unnatural for her.

The last scene was heartbreaking. And I love the call back to the pilot with Raylan going to see Winona in the middle of the night to talk out what is troubling him. Even her "Raylan, why are you here." Raylan really is all alone, and Boyd Crowder of all people has it all.

This season wasn't my favorite and I'm not actually waiting on pins and needles for next season, but I do think it's going to be extremely entertaining.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I was hoping for something else when Quarles was killed. But then I guess there wouldn't have been the silly disarmed jokes. I was hoping they'd have Mitch kill him. For me it would have been more satisfying to have a young boy do it after what Quarles has done to young boys.

I must have missed something - what did Errol do to warrant getting kicked out of the Holler?

I have never been as upset or disturbed by anything on this show ever as I was by Ava hitting Ellie Mae. God, that was awful. And also part of an interesting arc for Ava, but, still.

I didn't like that at all. I thought she was going to protect the whores. I guess smacking them around is only bad if you're a man.

erformc

erformc

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

3 questions:

1. Why did Limehouse get rid of Earl?

2. Why did Errol come back?

3. I thought they established last week that Loretta had Mags's $. Was the $$ in the piggy bank from a source other than Mags (I.e. the regular money he makes from his operation?)

doubletwist

doubletwist

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

Erroll screwed up somehow in the beginning of the season. I don't remember what he did exactly, but it was something that Limehouse strongly disapproved of (I'm guessing that's why, anyway).

2. Why did Errol come back?

He saw Raylan and friends driving up in the van and knew something big was about to happen. He probably still felt some loyalty towards Limehouse.

3. I thought they established last week that Loretta had Mags's $. Was the $$ in the piggy bank from a source other than Mags (I.e. the regular money he makes from his operation?)

That's what I figured - where he keeps his deposits and whatever else.

I was feeling kind of meh about this episode until maybe the halfway point. When Limehouse chopped Quarles' arm off I laughed so loud I kind of disturbed myself. That's how I reacted when Raylan hit that prison guard with his car and then hit him again.

Edited by doubletwist, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:16 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Having Johnny be the leak made sense but I would have thought Ava being the one would have been a better holy shit moment, if only to show her having gone to the dark side and neutralizing Boyd in order to consolidate control over the underworld under her hands would have made for a nice twist and give us a good set-up for season four.

Removing Arlo from the picture makes sense given that he doesn't serve much purpose these days. Especially with his dementia. Raylan's reaction to the fact that Tom died because Arlo thought he was Raylan was too understated; if anything, the season should have ended with Raylan breaking down and Winona stopping being such a bitch and give him some form of comfort as he cries over his friend's death and the knowledge that his dad killed him/thought he was killing Raylan. Raylan showing some emotion and Winona showing sympathy would have been a better way to send the character off if we don't see her again and moreso, would have let us see Raylan actually be human for once.

So I would assume next season will have Boyd (who has next to nothing in terms of minions and as of yet to be exposed traitor by his side) declaring war on Limehouse and I have to think Wynn Duffy receiving a new superior from his masters up north. Would be interesting if they bring Adam Arkin back full-time but it would be kind of hard to give a reason for him to relocate to Harlan. Maybe they can bring Kenny Johnson onboard as a new recruit to Boyd's cartel or (if the Gods are willing) bring us the double team of Deadwood alumnis Powers Boothe and Ian McShane onto the show.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I wonder: Is Boyd actually Arlo's son, and not Raylan, which is why Arlo never really loved him? I might have let something slide over my head, but have these relationships been established without a doubt?

I also didn't like Ava the Whore-Beating Pimp character. I have a feeling Ella Mae might be back next season and Ava might live to regret what she did.

Raylan's look on his face when he wouldn't give Quarles his arm back was just...awesome.

I'm not sure this season with all the villians was quite as good as last season--but it was good enough. Can't wait until the next one.

Edited by Ohwell, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:26 PM.

TigerKitty

TigerKitty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Whew! Great ending. Now that the season is over, I'm going to re-watch all the episodes this weekend (I've saved them on my DVR) to see how all the pieces fit together and all the hints that I probably missed the first time around.

So wonderful to have a series that does NOT end with a cliffhanger. Thank you, Graham Yost.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I don't understand why Arlo hates his son so much but loves Boyd. Raylan and Boyd have a lot of qualities in common--brave, smart, funny, deadly at times. Does it really come down to only being able to admire a criminal mind for Arlo? Or is it that Boyd embraces the criminal side of Arlo whereas Raylan shows disapproval and contempt? Whichever, the ending broke my heart. And I'm doubly sorry for Raylan that apparently the only person he can confide in is someone who barely suffers his presence and doesn't seem to register or care how wounded and weary he is. Oh Raylan. Go find the pretty and understanding bartender and forget these miserable people who are a cancer in your life.

I'm just happy to see that after the conflict of last season, Art has become a quasi-father figure to Raylan.

I'm bothered that Boyd wasn't more bothered about Arlo taking the fall for him.

So...who thinks Raylan let Limehouse stuff the money in another pig before the police were called? I wonder if Limehouse was that confident in Raylan's ability to disarm Quarles, because I can't believe he would willingly part with half a million just to see the back of Quarles. Love the uneasy relationship between Raylan and Limehouse and look forward to seeing more of it next season.

Edited by Bentley, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:38 PM.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Breathtaking -- I have a feeling if you wrote down all the dialogue you wouldn't have to leave out much of it to see that it's pure poetry. Calling on Jesus Christ -- Somebody up there likes me -- fathers, sons . . . and Devil, too. They even called up Mags . . . apples -- not falling far from the tree, Winona offering Raylan apple juice.

It was all about family. So many families -- the law enforcement family, the various branches of it working together to find the killer of one of their own. The mother and her boys -- Trust Jesus -- that little family touched me so deeply, and of course Raylan speaking of Tom's wife and children grieving. Limehouse and his people, the story about Errol and his dad, and of course, Arlo's two boys, Raylan and Boyd, and Helen, too. And there was Art looking after Raylan, telling him to go home. All I could think was, he doesn't have a home. He knows it's over with Winona but I think he went to her not because she's "home" to him -- it's the baby who is home now -- that baby is all he has of home. I loved him patting her tummy, talking about singing to the baby. It was heartbreaking to see Raylan watching Boyd and Ava leave the Marshals' office, realizing that for all their wrongdoing, they are they ones who are going home together, that their home meant something to Arlo, that Boyd had a better relationship with Arlo than Raylan did. Killing one son to save another -- taking the blame for killing Devil, Arlo who has been a devil most of his life. Raylan threatening Wynn Duffy in his home, Johnny betraying his family, Errol coming back home, Quarles wanting to go home, mentioning his son, Theo talking about the family -- so many people just trying to get home.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

RIP Trooper Tom. I'm going to miss you. I loved his scenes with Raylan.

Raylan's reaction to the fact that Tom died because Arlo thought he was Raylan was too understated

I don't think Tom died because Arlo thought he was Raylan. He died because Arlo was protecting Boyd. I'm not so sure he even thought TT might be Raylan. I might have missed it but Arlo never said it and I think Raylan and Art could just be assuming.

The funniest part of the episode for me was when Quarles was telling Mitch what to say to Raylan. He's telling the kid blah blah blah and if you don't do it he'll kill me. The kid looks all confused and Quarles says something like 'kill you not me'.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Errol did spend all season trying to engineer Limehouse's overthrow. He was dissatisfied with Limehouse's isolationism and old-fashioned ways, and blinded of his own ambitions. He thought he was getting away with it, but Limehouse knows everything, of course. Basically, Errol was young and dumb and stepped too far out on his branch. I didn't expect him to get out alive, though. Exile's not too bad, considering.

Man, poor Wynn Duffy. He has had a rough few months, even for a man with his dubious history. He might want to think about cashing in his savings bonds and retiring from this life of crime.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

When he told his underling to look for that Paul Newman movie in his DVD collection, I said to my television, "You're on vacation and you travel with your DVDs?"

Some people actually do take DVDs they own with them on vacation. Especially if they have the down time on their trips to watch them or if they have kids and need to use the DVDs to keep them passive in the car (as some cars have their own DVD players).

As for Arlo/Boyd/Raylan, I have to toss in that Arlo might favor Boyd over Raylan as the only form of evil he has left to hurt Raylan. IE he treats Boyd like his flesh and blood son because Boyd is Raylan's nemesis and that drives Raylan insane with jealousy.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

God Arlo, you piece of demented shit. Raylan gets all the hugs.

Best line ever. Piggy Bank.

I'm going to miss Quarles. and props to everyone that called Arlo as the shooter.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

This season wasn't my favorite and I'm not actually waiting on pins and needles for next season, but I do think it's going to be extremely entertaining.

Here's hoping. This was a meh season finale to cap off a mediocre season. The showdown between Raylan, Quarles and Limehouse was anti climactic and silly. At this point, the writers seem to be bending over backward not to have Raylan shoot someone. I realize that the critics like the show better when Raylan thinks rather than shoots, but that's not the premise on which Justified was originally based. Raylan is a man who lives with violence and can't escape his own destiny.

Note to self for future seasons. If a villain has a one-episode guest stint, there's a 40 percent chance Raylan will kill or wound him/her. If the villain is a series regular like Boyd, Mags, Duffy, Quarles, Dickie or Limehouse, Raylan will never, ever drop the hammer on him.

As for the Arlo pay-off, was this really a surprise to anyone? We knew Arlo hated Raylan when he was ready to hand over his own son to be tortured by Bo Crowder in the S1 finale. The idea that Arlo loves Boyd like the son Raylan never was felt tacked on to me. Did we see evidence of the building paternal affection between Boyd and Arlo throughout the season? I don't remember it. It struck me as a contrivance by the writers to serve as a finale shocker.

I also didn't buy the idea of Ava beating the whore. Just like Ava's sudden decision to take Boyd into her home, and to become a pimp, we get plot twists manufactured without laying a proper foundation. Ava spent years being beaten by her husband. She killed him to escape the abusive life she endured. She then killed Delroy to save Ella May's life. How does she go from avenging angel to woman beater?

The twist I did buy was Johnny's betrayal. I always wondered how he came to forgive Boyd for playing a role in his being shot. I look forward to seeing this story play out next season. I also look forward to the budding relationship between Wynn Duffy and the Detroit mob, as I assume that will become a plot thread.

P.S. It's official. WInona is a bitch. I tried to root for her, but her behavior toward Raylan in the final scene put it over the edge. I liked her for a long while, but I won't miss the character next season.

Why did Limehouse get rid of Earl?

In episode six, Erroll was the one who hired the gun thugs to rob Boyd's oxy clinic and kill the doctor and the prostitute. He did it to set up a war between Boyd and Quarles. Limehouse figured it out and told Eroll that they would have to play out the hand, but that there would be consequences later. I believe that kicking Erroll out of the hollar represented said consequences.

I used to call this the best show on TV, with Breaking Bad as a close second. After viewing this season as a whole, I have to reverse the order. I will welcome Justified back next year, but it has slipped to number two behind Walt and Jesse.

Edited by Atomic Clock, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:46 AM.