5-10: "The Window" 2009.12.07 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

Research Girl

Research Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 12:32 AM

I still have my heart set on Jayma Mays the Coat Check Girl, even if we barely saw her for five minutes in Okay, Awesome.

I had forgotten about her, but of all the women on the show (Robin and Stella included) Ted had the most chemistry with her.

Robin's pathetic attempts to distract Jim were pathetic and unfunny. This is the woman that Ted fell in love with on the first date, the woman that made Barney fall in love for this first time in a freaking decade. She is not pathetic and desperate like that.

She was taking a hit for a friend. If she actually was trying to get with him, it would have been sad, but she was just acting as a distraction. It takes a lot of confidence to go that far to distract someone.

I'm just trying to figure out when Marshall was in the army. I mean, I know that was a Segel add-on, but I thought they incorporated it into canon

Wait- what?

SnowDan07

SnowDan07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 1:46 AM

Loved this episode! One of the best of the season and just something we haven't seen before. I don't really know any Maggies myself but I loved both the character and the actress. She was nice! Everytime they do find a great one like this I can't help but be disappointed because she's not the mother. She would've made a good one just like Lindsay Sloane. But oh well, I'm just glad Ted was the center. I've always loved Ted and this season he has been in the background far too much. On the other hand this has caused him to have even more hilarious moments and make people realize just how funny he can be but I still want him back. Hope this is the start of more of him.

Funny moments for me were "I hate Barney Stinson." "Me too!", "Jealous bitch!" I died laughing at that line. Who was that actor again? High school Marshall of course as I always love seeing flashbacks like that. And old man Marshall at the end was nice too. The whole letter B plot was sweet and quite relateable. Sure Marshall isn't the man who he thought he would be but still he's doing just fine. Glad he realized it. And I loved the moment when Ted found out that they all would love to hear him talk about bridges. That was sweet! And them discussing his romantic life was just awesome. I was glad to see all of this because we haven't seem him in the classroom enough this season. Hope this is the start of more professor stories. Lots of gold to be mined there!

qwertyas

qwertyas

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 3:59 AM

I still have my heart set on Jayma Mays the Coat Check Girl, even if we barely saw her for five minutes in Okay, Awesome.

I had forgotten about her, but of all the women on the show (Robin and Stella included) Ted had the most chemistry with her.

I'm pretty sure it was stated within that episode that she wasn't the mother, wasn't it? Didn't the conversation go something like...
Marshall: Who knows dude, maybe she's the one?
Ted: Yeah... maybe...
SageTed: She wasn't.

I'm just trying to figure out when Marshall was in the army. I mean, I know that was a Segel add-on, but I thought they incorporated it into canon

Wait- what?

I think this is in reference to what he said in Nothing Good Happens after 2am, when he and Barney are arguing at kareoke over who's best friends with Ted. He screams "I boxed in the army" or something.

thefourthslap

thefourthslap

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 5:12 AM

Love this episode for Ted. This is a maturing season for him and its showing. If younger Ted had missed out on this girl (which he did do, thrice) he would have whined and complained about it. But in this episode he seems to know his place, understanding that Maggie has found true love and he should just continue his search. I think Ted might be just about ready to find his true loooove...

meova1

meova1

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 12:57 PM

This episode had some funny moments for me, none of which were part of the A plot (I mostly liked Marshall's younger + older selves, as well Ted's interactions with his class). I think my main issue was that Maggie looked disturbingly like Victoria (to me) and it creeped me out for most of the episode.

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

The weecap went up this morning. It didn't get linked in the thread title for some reason, but I've added it now.

Cankerblossom

Cankerblossom

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

Just noticed this: In the montage of her perfect love story, Maggie's boy-next-door is wearing overalls!

thejonesman

thejonesman

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

I started laughing when Robin said, "What's in the box!" and didn't stop the entire episode. I might be in the minority but I would like it if Amy (Mandy Moore) turned out to be the mother.

Antareus

Antareus

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

Joanna Garcia is everywhere! Not that it's a bad thing. I would have liked her to play the mother (obviously not as that boring Maggie character).

I really enjoyed this episode. I am wondering, however, if Maggie's love story is the second most romantic he's heard, then what's #1? His own? Are the writers really trying to top "childhood/lifelong sweethearts"? Setting the bar that high is an impressive move, writers. I can almost hear the line being typed/suggested, and another writer yelling, "challenge accepted!"

But furthermore, I'm pretty sure he's met Marshall and Lily, so...Ted, you're #3. At LEAST.

.....Although maybe Ted watches Pushing Daisies, and THAT is the most romantic thing he's ever heard. He would not be alone in that thought : )

thalia ann

thalia ann

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 8:17 PM

Yvaughn

If they keep showing Barney as just a manslut womanizer (something I thought they were going to let him transcend, at least a little, after he hit #200 on his List), then not even NPH will be able to save him. Which would make me sad.

I am so over Manslut!Barney. Maybe they mishandled Barney/Robin, but I just can't forget that for most of last season Barney, while not three dimensional, was at least 1 3/4 dimensional. Now he's well on his way to number 300 and I'm well on my way to asking someone to call me when Ted meets the mother so I can flip back over from House.

Edited by thalia ann, Dec 9, 2009 @ 8:18 PM.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

I assume that's what he/they meant, although, given the way they shot the Maggie's Great Love Story Scenes, perhaps I will be forgiven for thinking that #1 is actually Pixar's Up!.

Watching the story of those two, Up was the first thing I thought of.

Nice touch that the mailman was the 3rd boyfriend.

Just the visual of Barney in overalls and a suit was funny enough to make up for the ending to that storyline.

Overall I liked the episode and getting back to Ted instead of BArney/Robin.

Nightbreak

Nightbreak

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 12:12 AM

Of all the women he's met, I think he had the most chemistry with Mary the Paralegal. How I wish she'd make a comeback, having forgiven Ted for Barney's mind-game shenanigans.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 12:26 AM

"Jealous BITCH!"

had me on the floor. Jamie Kaler is great.

That was awesome. I just loved how he stomp a bit and saying it with a whiny voice. Hahahaha!

This episode just made me LAUGHED SO HARD. I mean, a real laugh with a squee, clapping and all, especially the scene where the three guys racing to Maggie's place. I love that kind of romance slapstick -- I love 'racing towards a girl you like' scene. I remember I was watching Young Indiana Jones, and there was this kind of scene. My stomach hurt because of that scene. So this is amazing. Especially I kinda rooted for Ted so badly, "Go! Go! Ted!"

Can we keep Jim, please? LOL.

Ted: "I hate Barney Stinson!"
Unseen Woman: "ME TOO!!!"

That just the best, lol. Cracked me up so bad.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 12:51 AM

"Jealous bitch!" I died laughing at that line. Who was that actor again?

Jamie Kaler. He's a regular on the very funny My Boys on TBS. Plays a guy named Mike, a character who is a tad obnoxious and likes to act like he's cooler than he is, but he's kind of dorky about it and not too clueless in the end. That line and his delivery was very much in the vein of that character.

nyctwins

nyctwins

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 2:05 AM

I'm just reading Cindy's weecap and was reminded of Marshall's Mad Libs reading. That also cracked me up. My sisters and I would waste away rainy afternoons by filling in Mad Libs with every word that we considered to be taboo at the time (fart being one of the big ones, as well as poop, boob, butt ... you get the drift), and to this day (as we're all in or approaching our 40s and married with kids) we read them aloud at family get-togethers and laugh hysterically ... with our mother and brothers in the background wincing in pain at our continued immaturity. So this rang very true-to-life to me. It's these little moments that make the show for me.

Edited by nyctwins, Dec 10, 2009 @ 2:07 AM.

The Skull

The Skull

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 1:13 PM

Alyson Hannigan really worked for me tonight as Lily. Her facial expressions and her being in the scene even when she had few lines. Her expressions of being annoyed at Barney's comments but not really surprised by them, sort of toned down. Her response to Marshall naming her as his "Maggie". I wish they hadn't cut away as fast as they did cause it needed two beats more of acknowledgment. Her reference to her college self. "If you remember, I was good to go." ( Black haired Lily flash backs illustrate that very well ). and her eyes half opened and lopsided smile as she looked down towards the wounded Marshall, offering to "go bananas" when they get back home. Especially the "sure baby" when asked if they could do it on the basketball court. Lily is STILL good to go. She was so subtlety affectionate to Ted and Marshall this episode, it was really endearing.

But for some reason, what really cracked me up was this. When Ted told them "You want me to find the perfect girl so we can all grow old together? THAT"S the girl."

The synchronized looks of M&L, towards Maggie and back, had me laughing out loud. It was like this sweet and yet crazy look. I thought "Ted, you just pressed her obsession button." I half expected her to go "OOOOO" when she got that "shiny new toy!" look on her face. Maybe go into a "Front Porch Test" scene.

But the episode went in a different, new direction. As someone else mentioned, it showed how Ted has matured and I liked seeing that happen.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

Was it just me or was Barney originally wearing a suit jacket under his overalls and then, in the end scene, just a shirt and tie. I normally never notice stuff like that.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

Yes, he was!!

I was expecting a reiteration of the faceless innkeeper poem at the end. Betty White would have been perfect.

Awww, I had to tear up at the end with 60-year-old Marshall sending wings to Lily! I knew that was what happened,and I'm glad they showed it.

Thanks for reminding who me that was Joanna Garcia from Reba. I knew I knew who that was. She looks so much more petite on this show than as Cheyenne.

There's something about Maggie..

My thought, too.

Especially since she has a steady gig on Glee now.

It wasn't exciting, but I think the characters are growing up now so that could be a difference in tone.

Aziraphale

Aziraphale

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2009 @ 2:56 AM

I thought it was a solid, albeit ordinary episode. Not a return to greatness, but some welcome steps back towards it. My favorite moment (aside from the Best. Endcap. Ever.) was Lily's "Make a hole, people!" moment. (See? She can be ruthless and sweet at the same time.)

I'd never thought I'd say this, but add me to the list of people who are getting tired of Barney. Even before his arc of falling for Robin, there were glimpses of a human being there, and it used to be a lot easier to see why the others liked having him around. For all his faults, this is/used to be the guy who flew from New York to San Francisco to tell Lily that she was making a mistake and was going to lose Marshal. He was a womanizer, but that was only one of the things he loved about his life. That Barney kept stealing women away from his friend Marshal because he didn't want Lily to be replaced. The Barney we're seeing now steals women (or tries to) from his friend Ted because he's, well, a jerk for whom womanizing seems to be his only reason to live. I don't want Barney to become Mr. Sensitive (we all know how well that ultimately worked out), but I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more of Barney at work and a lot less of Barney at the bar.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (duh). Pop culture in general. I'm a romance novelist (w/a Evelyn Vaughn) and a college English instructor. Other interests: cats, dogs, bicycling, secret societies (from a fictional standpoint), time-travel (not just from a fictional standpoint), the "reality" of characters and the importance of consistency and organic unity in all forms of fiction.

Posted Dec 12, 2009 @ 3:45 AM

isiscloud says,

It wasn't exciting, but I think the characters are growing up now so that could be a difference in tone.

YES! When HIMYM is at its very best is when the humor is woven together with insights about real friendship, real romance, real relationships. This is probably why Manslut!Barney (tm Thalia Ann?) is bugging me, too.

Everything Aziraphale just wrote is, for me, spot on. The writers seem to seen the shadow of a Barney/Robin romance and scared themselves into giving up on Barney--the multidimensional, capable of deep feeling Barney--in favor of this one-dimensional Manslut whose friendship with the others hardly even makes sense anymore and who, unlike the others, hasn't been allowed to grow at all. He's regressed. I mean, even first-season Barney wasn't this over-the-top, was he? Add in information about the upcoming episode, "The Perfect Week," in which he apparently wants to sleep with a new woman every night for a week? The man passed #200 mid-season last season and seemed to have recognized that he doesn't have anything more to really prove on that front, and might consider other elements of his relationships. But apparently he's been replaced by a time-traveling, cliched Barney from an earlier time.

Now, this episode was good enough (in the non-Barney stuff) to give me hope that maybe Bays & Thomas know what they're doing. Maybe All Will Be Explained. Which would be one hell of a relief. But unless they have an actual plan, Manslut!Barney is bringing down the rest of the show.

And I say this thinking NPH is the biggest talent on TV.