Stadium Seating and Real Butter: The Moviegoing Experience

• Please log in to reply

585 replies to this topic

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

I have a dear friend who is a Facebook fanatic. She's constantly updating her status, or whatever it is one does (I don't have an account). It's not a huge deal, I suppose, but when we go to the movies, she's constantly updating her status on where we are or what we're doing. If we're at the Cinebistro, she's updating her status. When we get our food, she's taking a picture and uploading it to Facebook. When the movie is about to start, she's updating her status. After the movie ends, she's updating her status. It's maddening. I'm sure social media is beneficial for many reasons, but I do not understand the need to constantly let others know what you're doing exactly as you're doing it. I always conspicuously clear my throat or look her way when the "Please put your cell phone away" messages pop up on the theater screen.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Throughout my Avengers experience this past Saturday evening, it was people of all ages getting up and down to use the restroom and get food. Plus, I had the texters on their phones every 5 minutes. And to top that all off....people with babies who were noisy! Trifecta!

Sheesh. Can't enjoy anything anymore.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

In the mid-70's my dad thought it would be a good idea to take me and my sister (we were 8 and 6 years old at the time) to a documentary about Bigfoot narrated my Peter Graves. In one scene this girl was watching TV on her couch and started hearing noises and looked out the window and saw nothing. A minute later a giant hairy arm came crashing through the window and grabbed her. She screamed and this guy came out with a shotgun and opened the front door and Bigfoot was standing in the doorway. We were terrified for weeks!!

I saw that movie at about the same age back then! Our local theater would show "documentaries" that covered all sorts of crazy stuff (ancient astronauts, the Loch Ness Monster etc.). The one that scared me the most was a short about astronomy that explained what black holes were and how they would devour our galaxy. Setting aside the dubious science, I had no concept of the incredible time scale involved, thought it was an imminent threat and believed that we were all doomed!

Edited by xaxat, May 15, 2012 @ 7:03 PM.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

xaxat, I've often thought of the dubious science I learned from my childhood as well, and then think of this scene.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Went to a fantastic stadium seating theater where the tickets were $6.50 a pop.

And they serve Kettle Corn popcorn.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

I've occasionally struggled with that in the past. Generally in theaters, I really don't like to laugh at stuff that's not supposed to be funny, even if I think it's unintentionally hilarious. I just feel like it would be breaking the mood for people who are enjoying the film.

A friend and I went to see Good Will Hunting in college and cracked up during Will's breakdown/hug with Robin Williams. We tried to muffle the giggles but the acting was weirdly over the top to us. The two middle aged women who'd sat directly in front of us (in an almost empty theater) told us we'd ruined the movie for them on the way out. I still feel a little bad (although I'll never understand why they had to sit so close. My friend and I actually moved over a few seats to give them some space. Apparently, we should have gone farther).

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

If someone comes into a deserted theater and sits directly in front of the only other people there, they deserve to have the movie ruined for them.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

To the list of things which should be banned from movie theatres, could we please add those trainers/running shoes with the lights that flash when you step. Or rather that ones that light up when your damn kid is kicking the back of the seat in front of them.
In fairness, I don't think the seat in front of them was occupied, but the lights just kept flashing in my peripheral vision and it was bloody distracting at times.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

To the list of things which should be banned from movie theatres, could we please add those trainers/running shoes with the lights that flash when you step.

Those are still a thing? Damn, I had a pair of those, like, 20 years ago (they were, of course, the SHIT). But, yeah, any kind of light during the movie is completely distracting.

If someone comes into a deserted theater and sits directly in front of the only other people there, they deserve to have the movie ruined for them.

Yes! I get it if the only other people in the theater are sitting in the best spot, but if nothing else, put a row or two in between you and them so that you're not all bunched together.

I also hate it when a stranger comes and sits in the seat RIGHT NEXT to me, when the rest of the row is open. Seriously? Couldn't even put a seat or two between us? Way to make me feel like I'm on a blind date with you.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

When a theater is mostly empty, I put my purse on the seat next to me so I don't have to hold it the whole time or put it on the gross floor. That's not considered bad etiquette, is it? Because one time, a guy walked into the theater, picked up my purse, plopped it in my lap, and then sat down next to me. What...the...fuck? I stared at him for a few seconds, but he seemed totally oblivious, so I moved before I could do something that I was going to regret.

Edited by Redtracer, May 19, 2012 @ 4:00 PM.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

To the list of things which should be banned from movie theatres, could we please add those trainers/running shoes with the lights that flash when you step.

I once saw a news item about a guy who wore those kind of shoes when he shoplifted. Then he ran off into the woods, but he was easily tracked down and caught.

My local theater doesn't have ushers on weekdays. Or at least not the kind that ever come in when the movie's on.
They just stand around but don't even take your ticket half the time. One weekend, I went and there was one shining his light around. I thought it was someone's cell and got annoyed.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

I put my purse on the seat next to me so I don't have to hold it the whole time or put it on the gross floor. That's not considered bad etiquette, is it?

I do that all the time. And if it's a theater with assigned seating, I'll wait until the previews are over to move my purse just in case. But if it's just regular seating, it's not hurting anything to use an empty chair to store your stuff.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Have you ever had the experience of being the only one in a theater? This happened to me around a week ago, at an early evening Thursday showing of Monsieur Lazhar. (Recommended movie, by the way.)

It was pleasant in a way--no talkers, texters, eaters, etc.--but also a bit spooky, like that Twilight Zone episode about the man in the town without people. I also felt slightly guilty, as if I were keeping someone from doing something they could have done if they didn't have to run the movie for just me. (If no one shows up by screening time, do they run the film anyway?)

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I'm not sure I've ever been the only one, but I've been one of two or three before. Yeah, it's a weird feeling. Because the others aren't making any sort of noise, I'm never sure if I should let myself laugh out loud at the funny bits.

Then I got used to it. When I saw the Avengers, it was a really weird feeling to have a full house, and people laughing and cheering along.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

It was pleasant in a way--no talkers, texters, eaters, etc.--but also a bit spooky, like that Twilight Zone episode about the man in the town without people. I also felt slightly guilty, as if I were keeping someone from doing something they could have done if they didn't have to run the movie for just me. (If no one shows up by screening time, do they run the film anyway?)

I've been the only person in the theater three times that I can remember, and I felt exactly this way all three times: thrilled that the atmosphere was so quiet, unnerved by the silence, and guilty about the possibility that the theater employees hated me for showing up. I have also frequently wondered if they run the movie for an empty house. Any former theater employees have insight?

On the flip side, my friend and I were the only ones in the theater for Across the Universe, and that was a total blast. That's the crazy-ass Beatles musical that features Bono doing "I Am the Walrus." There were some parts of the movie that were so unbelievably silly that we could violate our no-laughing-at-dramas rule. We basically did our own little version of Mystery Science Theater 3000. We were thrilled to have the whole place to ourselves on that occasion.

Monsieur Lazhar. (Recommended movie, by the way.)

What excellent timing, I'm seeing this tomorrow!

Edited by Redtracer, May 19, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Have you ever had the experience of being the only one in a theater?

My sister and I were the only two there when we went and saw "X2." We were a few minutes late for the scheduled showing. After we walked in and purchased our tickets, the guy then turned around and hollered, "Hey, Matt, we've got some for X2!" So, at least at that theater, they didn't run it if there was no one there. But this was a small town.

Edited by TheSporkWielder, May 19, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

When a theater is mostly empty, I put my purse on the seat next to me so I don't have to hold it the whole time or put it on the gross floor. That's not considered bad etiquette, is it? Because one time, a guy walked into the theater, picked up my purse, plopped it in my lap, and then sat down next to me. What...the...fuck? I stared at him for a few seconds, but he seemed totally oblivious, so I moved before I could do something that I was going to regret.

Wow, that was one seriously rude dude. Looking at the purse situation in general, I'd say it's fine to put it on the seat next to you as long as the theatre isn't packed. I typically leave mine on the floor since it's a weird shape/size, but as long as you're not impeding other moviegoers I'd say your purse can be wherever you want it to be.

I feel compelled to write about my attendance of "The Avengers" last night because I was initially sitting behind a couple who wouldn't stop making out. I just... okay, sure, if comic book-based, explosion-every-twenty-minutes movies turn you on, more power to ya'. I loved the movie but I'm still a tad disconcerted because I'd never seen that happen at a movie before, and of all the movies I'd expect that to happen at I would have guessed a rom-com or romantic drama. For the record, they were sitting in the middle of the theatre, too, it wasn't like we were in the back rows. I wound up moving less because of them and more because of their third-wheel friend who wouldn't stop asking questions, which they never really answered since, well... yeah.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

I almost always go to matinees, for cost reasons, so there may or may not be many people in the theater, depending on the movie (the big ones, like, say, Avatar or Inception, they've been pretty packed, even for a morning show, and even smaller ones like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were pretty packed, but that's not always the case). But when I saw Go on opening day, I was the only one in the theater, which was pretty freaky.

Edited by ethanvahlere, May 19, 2012 @ 10:28 PM.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

(If no one shows up by screening time, do they run the film anyway?)

Well they should. I worked in a theater way as a teenager way back in the 80s, and the idea is, someone might walk in 10 minutes late, but want to watch the movie. And if you don't start it up, and people come in late, it would mess up the next scheduled screening.

Often with an empty theater, the projectionist would run the film but turn off the lamp, so to not wear out the bulb.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

What the what? Well, if it's poor etiquette, I'll confess to impropriety. I always put my purse in a seat, whether it's a relatively empty theater or not. Of course, if the theater is obviously filling up, I have no problem moving it to my lap. But I'm not going to put my purse on the floor when there are clearly several seats around me available. If it's not a theater with assigned seating, as far as I'm concerned, it's first come first serve. You snooze, you lose, and all that. That man was an asshole. Never would I just move someone one's belongings - I would ask if the seat was taken and let THEM do it, and only as a last resort. Better yet, because I don't like to crowd people, I would avoid the seat with the purse altogether if there is plenty of seating elsewhere.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, May 20, 2012 @ 11:06 AM.

xocalove578

xocalove578

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

I saw 127 Hours with my brother and boyfriend and we were the only ones in the theater. It was awesome. Best movie experience of my life. I ended up loving the movie and I am sure no small part of that was being alone in the theater. Because I hate going to the movies now because it is such an awful experience with people.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I was in a movie last week where an obviously mentally handicapped young man and his caretaker came in and chatted loudly with each other through the previews, punctuated by his occasional Tourette's-style outbursts which showed no signs of quieting down as the movie rolled. I felt guilty as hell for getting up and moving far across the theater from them, but I didn't pay good money to listen to yips and chirps and running commentary about what characters just said rather than the actual dialog.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

I was the only one in the theater for a showing of an Inconvenient Truth which I felt was pretty counter to the message in the movie. But it was very nice to not have to worry about hearing everything.

I went back to the Avengers yesterday afternoon and wanted to hug the little boy in front of me who was having an amazing time. His reactions were adorable and I felt bad that his dad kept shushing him.

No one but me stayed all the way through the credits though which I thought was odd. I love that last scene but felt a little uncomfortable all alone through the 20 minutes of special effects houses.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

No one but me stayed all the way through the credits though which I thought was odd.

Speaking only for myself, I've seen the movie so many times that, while the shawarma scene is priceless, I don't feel the need to stay through the credits and see it anymore. I hope they remember to stick it on the DVD.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Speaking only for myself, I've seen the movie so many times that, while the shawarma scene is priceless, I don't feel the need to stay through the credits and see it anymore. I hope they remember to stick it on the DVD.

That scene isn't actually being shown in the Irish cinemas, possibly because (AFAIK) it was a last minute shoot and the movie got released in Europe before the USA. So they'd dang well better put it on the DVDs!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

That man was an asshole.

No kidding. What if you were saving the seat for someone in the bathroom? I think you did the right thing in moving.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

This guy might've gone too far. Seems the movie going experience that day sucked for everyone.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I accidently told some poor little kid to shut up when I saw The Hunger Games. When Katniss and Peeta were being chased by the creatures at night, someone behind and to the right of me started making these weird high pitched wailing sounds. I thought it was some immature jerk just getting a kick out of annoying everyone during a tense scene, and when they didn't stop, I said to shut up. They did, and I got back into the movie. Except then a couple of minutes later I remembered that when we'd come into the theatre, there'd been a boy who looked about eight sitting in that general direction with a couple of teenagers. Then I realised that if he was that age, he could've been making those noises because the scene was a bit much for him and he was upset, and I would've just made him feel worse. I felt very guilty about that for the rest of the movie, and as soon as it finished, I confirmed that it had indeed been him and apologised. That wasn't exactly my proudest moment.

On a less I-feel-like-an-ass note, I was the only one in the theatre when I saw The Machinist. I thought I'd just gotten there early at first, but no one showed up. It was fun, having it all to myself. And an usher came in just before the movie started, and she seemed pretty amused by it.

I wouldn't have seen it anyway because I realised during the credits I was about to miss the last bus home and had to leave, but I'm still annoyed we didn't get the Avengers' shawarma scene in Australia. I saw a bootleg of that bit on Youtube, but it isn't the same, and I absolutely love the idea of it.

Edited by furrylump, May 22, 2012 @ 3:13 PM.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

When I'm going alone I put my purse in one side and my coat on the other, order to submerge myself on the experience. I usually go alone because I have a "weird" taste in movies so rarely I had taken someone's possible seat and people take the message right away. It might be that that guy has one of those weird habits like always sitting on seat number 10 of row 8...I know people like that that always seat on the same seat no matter what, some out of superstition and some others just out of habit, YMMV.

Too many times to feel weirded out. Actually nowadays it reminds me of the scene in The Professional were he is watching a John Wayne movie and he was just delighted even if there was people there it was like he was all alone. Although it made me sad on John Carter, first time in a 3D movie were only me and hubby and two other people were in the theater.
The how annoyed the people that works there is depends entirely on circumstances if if the last showing they would had probably go home early so they are probably cursing you to high heavens above but in the middle of the day waiting for people can be boring so at least he/she has a excuse to do something,as far as I know I only have a couple of friends that work on one, YMMV.

Edited by lastdaughterfk, May 22, 2012 @ 3:59 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

If I'm in a theater where the armrests go up & the audience is scarce, I have been known to raise up at least one if not two armrests & stretch out with my coat as a pillow. I'm only comfortable doing it when there's no one else in my row and no one sitting in front of me (to block my view since my head is lower). Does anyone else do this?