The Vampire Diaries So Far: Discuss the Whole Series Here

• Please log in to reply

1564 replies to this topic

truthaboutluv

truthaboutluv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

That whole doppelganger being meant for each other thing is total crap and I'll go to my grave complaining about it. If anything, it seems the universe (Tessa? is that you?) has it out for them and enjoys torturing them. 

Wasn't Tessa the one who sort of created the whole doppelganger destiny thing. I may be remembering this wrong (which is entirely possible as I tend to tune out when the show goes into its long exposition/narrative scenes) but I always thought Tessa manipulated that whole thing, based on what she told Stefan of her back story. And so I always thought the point was that the doppelgangers would never be happy.

That basically that was her way of punishing Silas and Amara, century after century. I mean think about it, Tessa was a bitter, vengeful psycho. The woman stayed bitter for 2,000 years. In what world would she create something that allowed Silas and Amara to be together, even if it was in doppelganger form. So I think the point is that the doppelgangers are fated/destined or whatever, to never be happy. Something will always ruin things for them. That this was basically Tessa's way of punishing Silas and Amara for all of eternity. Man, I miss the psycho nut. 

Edited by truthaboutluv, Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:22 AM.

Aeryn13

Aeryn13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

Wasn't Tessa the one who sort of created the whole doppelganger destiny thing. I may be remembering this wrong (which is entirely possible as I tend to tune out when the show goes into its long exposition/narrative scenes) but I always thought Tessa manipulated that whole thing, based on what she told Stefan of her back story.

The way the show exposited that is that she was forced to view this from his cozy spot on the Other Side so no, she wasn`t involved. Personally, I thought it as "nature" punishing all three of them, Tessa for violating nature and creating the Other Side being made to watch Silas and Amara doppels being drawn to each other (probably meeting up randomely more than would be coincidental) and Silas and Amara who had created the immortality spell for nothing else but to have their lame love story asses together for all eternity by ultimately keeping them apart. Though Tessa did not say anything about the outcomes of those couplings. 

What I didn`t understand is, when did Tessa`s jealous ramblings on what she perceived to happen get upgraded to a "prophecy"? When I look out my window and happen to see my neighbor doing something, it doesn`t automatically become a freaking prophecy either. Urgh.   

truthaboutluv

truthaboutluv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

Okay, thanks. Either way, I always interpreted it as the doppelgangers aren't meant to be happy and it is maybe like you said, the universe punishing them all. But yeah I kind of figured that that the story was that doppelgangers will live happily ever after. There will always be something that destroys the relationship.

Edited by truthaboutluv, Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:39 AM.

TigerLynx

TigerLynx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

Katherine's, Stefan's, and Tatia's doppels were the lucky ones.  They never met their destiny so they probably got to live happy lives.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

How old was Tom anyway?  He's a paramedic so is the same age as Elena because I thought he was a few years older.  His hair was nicer than Stefan's.

He is almost certainly older than Elena.  To the best of my recollection, she's only 18/19 (we saw her 18th birthday happen, but I can't recall if she's gotten to 19).  Because of the ridiculously slow passage of time - the whole first 4 seasons span about a year and a half at most - she's still a teenager.

If Tom was a paramedic, he had to at least get certified, if not a degree, and he's been apparently doing the job for a while. So he's probably at least 23 or 24. 

Since historically men married women who were younger than them, it would not surprise me if Silas was at least a few years older than Amara.  Maybe the doppelgangers kept the approximate age difference.  Honestly, the doppelganger mythology is so convoluted and contradictory at this point, why not?  

And add me to the group that thinks the destiny (how did that morph into "prophecy"?) thing is crap and really it's just that they have at most and innate attraction to one another that was carried over.  I agree it would make much more sense for Nature (vindictive asshole that she's made out to be on this show - or at least as described by the witches and travelers) to have made them attracted to each other but also destined never to be happy together to get her jollies out of screwing with them over and over. And Tessa having to watch the period of them getting together being her punishment.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:35 AM.