The Vampire Diaries So Far: Discuss the Whole Series Here

• Please log in to reply

1564 replies to this topic

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 8:50 AM

Hi guys! I got permission from the awesome TWoP Sun to start this thread, figuring it might be fun to have a place where we can chat about the show's general tone, direction, storylines etc. This is the place for your general VD musings, snarking, gushing etc., since a lot of what we have to say isn't necessarily episode-specific or fitting for an individual character thread.

I'll kick it off by saying that I'm really adoring the tone of this series. Yes, it's dramatic (and mostly in an awesomely cheesy, compelling way), but somehow it never seems to take itself TOO seriously, as there's a sense of humor, fun and that subtle self-mocking that seems to be typical of Kevin Williamson's work. I think it's really hard to maintain that balance, (very few shows do it successfully IMO). It certainly helps that the dialogue is really sharp and witty...I find myself rewinding certain scenes just to hear them again and make sure I've absorbed every awesomely snarky syllable!

My one hope for the future direction of the series is that it doesn't devolve into a Damon-Elena-Stephan love triangle. (I'm spoiler averse, so honestly have no idea!) IMO, love triangles always make all three characters less interesting and likable, and lead to really frustrating, repetitive scenes and storylines.

Oh, and one more general observation: I really love the filming and overall look of this show. I really like the look of certain actors as well, but that's not what I meant ;)

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 4:50 PM

I will agree with you on the love triangle thing. I don't see Damon as a contender in a love triangle and the show has happily avoided making PuddingPop all mopey and lovestruck so no triangle there. I dont think TVD needs a triangle. There are enough obstacles to keep Stefan and Elana apart with one and I find it more compelling that it be circumstances and situations that cause strife instead of a 3rd person.

The pacing on this show has been excellent. I am not bored nor do I feel like things are moving much to fast. That's a nice change.

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 2:03 PM

The pacing on this show has been excellent. I am not bored nor do I feel like things are moving much to fast. That's a nice change

This is such a good point. Even, smooth pacing is sadly rare---it seems like the vast majority of shows I watch either hastily gloss over important storlines/character moments so quickly that they end up barely having any impact OR the show dwells, lingers and stagnates to the point where you feel like screaming "We freakin' GET it already---move on!"

Despite my general love for this show, I have to admit that I sure could do with fewer Elena-Stephan break ups/make ups. I practically have whiplash trying to keep track of their relationship status, as it seems to go back and forth every single epsiode! I get that their relationship needs to have quite a bit of angst and conflict, but the affect of their breaking up and declaring they can no longer have any contact is minimized when it seems to happen nearly every episode.

I'm curious to hear what else you guys feel is and isn't awesome about this season so far...and about what's on your VD 'here's what I hope they give us' wish list!

Edited by bookwrm74, Nov 24, 2009 @ 2:05 PM.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

I agree about the pacing, totally. VD always keeps me on the edge of my seat and I love it!

I'm curious to hear what else you guys feel is and isn't awesome about this season so far...and about what's on your VD 'here's what I hope they give us' wish list!

I guess I'm just glad that some of the characters I found one dimensional are finally getting some depth, like Tyler and Jeremy. I find Aunt Jenna boring almost beyond relief, here's to hoping that she'll have some layers added to her in the near future.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 5:52 AM

Here's to hoping Aunt Jenna will have some brains and some adult skills added to her in the near future.

I'd like Bonnie to ask Stefan questions about her lineage and to try to find out if her grandma knows about vampires. Emily worked for a vampire so witches and vampires are not "natural enemies", plus they both hid from the Not-so-elders Council, so it would be interesting to find out where they stand.

I understand that Caroline working for Damon is convenient for the plot, but there should be an explanation as to why noone is giving her any vervain! Do Elena and Stefan think Damon just forgot about her? And wasn't a vampire attack enough for her mother? Didn't she get the vervain to protect the families too? I cannot get over this 'forgetfulness'. It would be hilarious if it were Bonnie to suggest it now that she knows. Even more hilarious if Secret Vamp gets to use her as a double agent against Damon.

I'd like Jeremy to get some real character development, his attempts at buddying up with Taylor were contrived.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

One thing that I thought of today that I'm a little bit confused on. I haven't seen every single episode yet- I'm working on it though. Has it been mentioned when Katherine actually turned Damon and Stefan? Was it during the Civil War era or did it come later? Also, did Damon actually mention when Kath and the other vampires got locked in the crypt? I think I've gotten the how and why, just not the when.

Xenite

Xenite

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

Crim, I知 on board with everything that you致e said. I can稚 believe that everyone sees that Damon is using Caroline, biting Caroline, compelling Caroline, etc., but no one is giving her Vervaine Tea or a Vervaine neckalace, or something. I知 rather annoyed by that.

As for the pacing of the show, I wished that it had taken Bonnie a little longer to develop her powers. I知 hoping for a lot of mishaps with her powers next season.

Also, I知 looking for there to be some relationship between Bonnie and Stefan but it痴 that I知 hoping that Stefan is like a great granddad or something. Yeah, I said it. I知 hoping that Emily and Stafan had a relationship. Since he was 田ompelled by Katherine it痴 not like he really loved her so there could have been someone else.

I hoping that Jeremy will become an apprentice hunter to Al-ahr-ric. Since there was an episode that stated that parents passed down diaries to their children, and that Jeremy痴 watch is a vampire huntin watch, he should learn to hunt. Afterall, how did Al-ahr-ric find Scumfell unless it was with huntin watch.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 10:54 AM

understand that Caroline working for Damon is convenient for the plot, but there should be an explanation as to why noone is giving her any vervain! Do Elena and Stefan think Damon just forgot about her? And wasn't a vampire attack enough for her mother?

ITA. I understand that She's-the-Sheriff (and the rest of the F'n CoW) are a bit clueless, so I understand her mother not realizing she needs Vervain. However, Elena and Stefan KNOW what Damon has done to Caroline--and Stefan grows the friggin' stuff in his basement! Come on!

I hoping that Jeremy will become an apprentice hunter to Al-ahr-ric. Since there was an episode that stated that parents passed down diaries to their children, and that Jeremy’s watch is a vampire huntin’ watch, he should learn to hunt. Afterall, how did Al-ahr-ric find Scumfell unless it was with huntin’ watch.

Also, they made a big deal about how the watch is always passed down to the men in the family.

I really hope that we get to see Katherine come back. I bet she would stir some shit UP.

ETA: Tonight's episode had Damon reading Twilight (heee!). He complains that he doesn't understand what's so great about Bella, and how she has everyone whipped. Insert "Elena" for "Bella" and the same sentence applies. (I personally like Elena, but I'm not sure why Damon seems to be so interested in her. She's not at all his type, and the Katherine-look-alike thing doesn't even work once we find out he actually came to town to bring Katherine back.)

Edited by JennyLiz, Dec 15, 2009 @ 10:16 PM.

Kelane

Kelane

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 8:03 AM

Anyone out there watching the marathon this week? Any thoughts upon rewatching?

I was more attuned to the differences between the pilot and the rest of the series now that I know it was filmed somewhere else and well before the rest of the show. And I've also found the first few episodes far less cheesy than I found them upon first viewing. But I suspect that's because I'm invested in the characters and the show now and I don't care about the rest. Instead I'm just focused on picking up on more details that I missed the first time around. (And I had completely forgotten about Draven. And I guess Damon abandoned the fog gimmick?)

Also, it never occurred to me before that the fall season started and then ended the same--with a car striking a man in the road causing a crash.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

And I've also found the first few episodes far less cheesy than I found them upon first viewing.

Heh, I don't consider cheese a fault so much as a selling point. That the show is also legitimately *good*, in the sense of character development, and plotting/pacing, is just a surprising, but kick ass bonus. What I find particularly impressive about the show is how much better it is at serial plotting than supposedly higher end serials like Lost/Flash Forward/Heroes, and it's even something Daytime no longer knows how to do either. Which is to constantly be revealing and developing things, but ONLY enough to drive your interest forward. I never feel like Williamson is holding out because it's some game where I'm not supposed to figure shit out, there is a payoff and a new 'reveal' in almost *every* episode, and that rocks.

badlydone

badlydone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 9:02 AM

Also, it never occurred to me before that the fall season started and then ended the same--with a car striking a man in the road causing a crash.

Loved this motif! It was one of the things that made shout bravo to the writers. Plus the fact that Elena starts out the season as what I assume was the backseat victim in a car accident to being the driver.

What I find particularly impressive about the show is how much better it is at serial plotting

This is especially evident with marathon viewing. Watching it again with all the plot lines in mind there is a real sense that there is a destination and they are aware of the various story arcs that will bring us there. I'm hoping this is something they won't lose next year.

I was charmed by the cheese, it makes the show feel nicely self aware. What I have loved about rewatching is that certain character traits that bugged me a little don't so much, partly because I am invested, but also because I feel like they ultimately fit in with personalities that we had as the show went into hiatus.

Kelane

Kelane

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 9:39 AM

I was charmed by the cheese, it makes the show feel nicely self aware

I guess I am now, too. Going in I was really scared I was watching a show strictly geared for tweens or something. (I had never even paused so much as to see a commercial on the CW.) The fact that the show was so damn good and got me hooked just shocked me.

What I find particularly impressive about the show is how much better it is at serial plotting

I agree. I love the fact that it slowly continues to reveal new things consistently, keep you guessing, and keep you invested in the show.

badlydone

badlydone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

Going in I was really scared I was watching a show strictly geared for tweens or something

So was I. Followed very briefly by the thought that this was cashing in on a certain franchise (that shall not be named, but you may have heard of) and that it was never going to attempt to be anything more. Instead we have been given something multi -layered with nicely three dimensional characters and well scripted mixed with a good blend of DRAMA and humor.

Because of this I have found myself being invested in characters that normally I would just ignore and happily change my opinions on characters actions as the story progresses because generally I found it to be organic and not jarring or forced.

With the fantastic pacing, and in my opinion no throwaway episodes, sometimes I forget that we have only had ten episodes.

Edited by badlydone, Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:51 AM.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

What I find particularly impressive about the show is how much better it is at serial plotting than supposedly higher end serials like Lost/Flash Forward/Heroes, and it's even something Daytime no longer knows how to do either. Which is to constantly be revealing and developing things, but ONLY enough to drive your interest forward.

Brilliantly said! The pacing is virtually perfect, IMO---which is certainly difficult to do, as evidenced by the fact that so few shows (IMO) pull it off!

On a related note, I also agree with those who love the overall 'tone' of the show: it somehow blends relatable drama, more awesomely cheesy melodrama, romance, horror, suspense, a dash of mystery and, yes, even a healthy portion of much-needed wit and humor. (The dialogue is so awesomely snarky and razor-sharp!)

It gives us lots of serious moments, yet doesn't FEEL pretentious and self-serious like, er, many other shows I can name.

It's kind of unfortunate to me that because it's 1) about vampires and 2) on the CW, many are bound to dismiss it as a ridiculous show without even tuning in (and I, especially as someone who loathes Twilight, was very close to being one of them!)

My one wish---and I totally understand many disagree---is that it doesn't devolve into a love triangle like the books did. I hate love triangles, and agree with whomever said that they make all three members of the triangle less likable and interesting. Even if they DO feel compelled to go that route, though, I hope and trust they'll at least maintain a healthy amount of focus on the show's other relationships, friendships, family interactions, the creepy history and current happenings of the town...etc. rather than becoming a soapy 'all love triangle, all the time' mess!

Edited by couldhavebee, Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:32 AM.

Kelane

Kelane

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:50 AM

It's kind of unfortunate to me that because it's 1) about vampires and 2) on the CW, many are bound to dismiss it as a ridiculous show without even tuning in

Agreed. I've had trouble convincing people to watch because of those two very things.

My one wish---and I totally understand many disagree---is that it doesn't devolve into a love triangle like the books did.

I don't particularly mind the love triangle aspect, but I know and understand the people that do. So, for those that do, I really am having alot of faith that the writers are going to do a good job with things since I've been so impressed with how they've handled things so far. I mean, look at what a colossal mess so many things could have been so far?

badlydone

badlydone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

My one wish---and I totally understand many disagree---is that it doesn't devolve into a love triangle like the books did.

I don't love the idea of a triangle but if it must be done I really hope it happens soon and is over in a blink or (preferably) much later many seasons in the future. I quite like the dynamic of the threesome (no not like that) in their relationship creating a central core for the show and I think for now it is far better to build on that rather than a contrived romance. Plus, i have loved how Stefan and Damon seem to be getting back a little of the realationship they had and I don't want that to be ruined needlessly for meloDRAMA.

I've been so impressed with how they've handled things so far. I mean, look at what a colossal mess so many things could have been so far?

word. I too have faith in the writers.

Edited by badlydone, Dec 17, 2009 @ 4:08 AM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

Totally agree. There was a time when I didn't mind a good love triangle. But, after seeing so many shows I love ruined (or at least damaged) by them, the thought of one being brought into a show I'm enjoying makes me cringe. And, when I see a show going in that direction, I find myself bracing for it the way I brace for a shot or something. It's something I have to deal with (if I want to keep watching the show), but I know I won't enjoy it. I'm just hoping it'll be over as soon as possible, and won't mess up the rest of the show.

Also, I've come to see triangles as something a show pulls out when they don't have much else to work with, and have to scrounge for ways to create drama. And The Vampire Diaries has so much going for it (much to my pleasant surprise) that it just doesn't need to go the triangle route to create drama, or make the relationships between different characters interesting.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

Totally agree. There was a time when I didn't mind a good love triangle. But, after seeing so many shows I love ruined (or at least damaged) by them, the thought of one being brought into a show I'm enjoying makes me cringe. And, when I see a show going in that direction, I find myself bracing for it the way I brace for a shot or something. It's something I have to deal with (if I want to keep watching the show), but I know I won't enjoy it. I'm just hoping it'll be over as soon as possible, and won't mess up the rest of the show.

Absolutely 100% agree Bitterswete. I eagerly look forward to new VD every week, but dread the moment we (might) go into triangle territory.

I've never read the books (nor do I intend to), but I did read the Books v. Show thread last night. Apparently in the books the triangle makes more sense, because Elena's character is a bit different than on the show. However, for our show I don't think it would make sense, at least not now. In the Founder's Day episode, which was on last night, Elena thinks that Damon is abusing Caroline, and thinks he should be arrested. She also knows that he killed Tanner (for no reason), Zach (for a really crappy reason), and Lexie (ditto). I can't imagine Elena being interested romantically in Damon.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2009 @ 2:07 AM

The show has done a very good job of fleshing out all the characters. When Aunt Jenna is the least popular character on the show, then you're doing a good job. I love how every character has had that small moment of quiet grace--where they are contemplative, showing a different side of their humanity. In other shows, I don't think we would've seen Caroline question her vanity or Vickie wanting to go home. I like that Damon isn't let off the hook by the writers for his misdeeds just because he plays the mischevious, snarky anti-hero. I also like how every character has a meaningful relationship with another character that isn't romantic (wrt Vickie's death, I felt the worst for Matt).

I like how the mythology is being developed. It's not some convoluted, mysterious governmental conspiracy, but rather a deep familal history. I love how we're getting to know about the history of the town via Jeremy reading the journals--we get to know more about the mythology, while also seeing Jeremy develop his artistic side and come to terms with the loss of his parents. Mythological and character growth all in one!

Edited by memememe76, Dec 18, 2009 @ 2:09 AM.

badlydone

badlydone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2009 @ 7:32 AM

The show has done a very good job of fleshing out all the characters. When Aunt Jenna is the least popular character on the show, then you're doing a good job.

I totally agree. Like the storylines, slowly every week some aspect of each of the characters personality is revealed. The characters are formed, but not. It feels like this strange yet lovely getting to know you process. I think this is why the show has subtly slotted itself into my favorites.

With this in mind I actually still have hope for Aunt Jenna; that eventually given the way the writers are expanding each individual personality I may end up loving her. I thought I was going to loath Caroline but I have been proved wrong; thanks not only to her adorable portrayal but to a greater extent because of the writing, which I don't think can be praised enough.

I equally love the way the history of the characters is also the history of Mystic Falls. It grounds the mythology in the reality of the town and creates an old fashioned sense of Gothic.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

I like how the mythology is being developed. It's not some convoluted, mysterious governmental conspiracy, but rather a deep familal history.

I equally love the way the history of the characters is also the history of Mystic Falls. It grounds the mythology in the reality of the town and creates an old fashioned sense of Gothic.

I didn't even realize how much I value this about TVD until I read these comments!

I, too, love the unfolding mythology and, like pretty much every other aspect of the show, think it's very well paced so far. I love that its rooted in these characters' family histories rather than yet another generic, distant 'big bad.' And I really love that these layers to the show make it more than just a 'show about fanged teen romance', as I'd worried about me!

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 2:11 AM

So I initially gave up on this show after two episodes because the epic boring love of Elena and Stefan made me roll my eyes so hard I was afraid I might hurt myself, but I gave the show another try because I’ve been seeing some positive comments about IS as Damon and about the writing overall, and I also somehow missed that it was a Kevin Williamson show the first time around. I’m glad that I gave it another shot, because there is some good stuff here.

I still find Elena and Stefan’s relationship painfully dull—they’re both just so…. blah, and they’re each at their most blah when they’re with each other. They’ve been through the “We can’t be together”/”Uh, yes, we totally can!” conflict at least three times already and we’re only 10 episodes deep. As long as they remain boring together and don’t drag other characters into it, i.e. the Stefan/Elena/Damon triangle that worked well in the book but not so much here, I’ll probably be able to ignore it.

Damon’s too much of a vicious sociopath for me to ever buy Elena being attracted to him short of a “dark phase” for her (and it would probably have to be an “Elena becomes undead” level of dark, IMO). It seems like IS gave up on trying to engage ND with the sexual tension–I felt like he was trying at first to present Damon as being attracted to Elena and whip up some sexual tension, but she wasn’t reciprocating and he stopped trying. It comes off like he just sees her as his brother’s annoying, goody-goody girlfriend nowadays, and any flirtation on his part is just to annoy the overly-serious lovebirds. (I also think that the two brothers reconnecting should be a major emotional arc of the show, and having them both fall in love with and fight over the same woman YET AGAIN would be completely ridiculous and get in the way of that emotional arc.)

On another romantic note, I had hoped Matt would get a non-Elena love interest and get the hell over her, but I couldn’t imagine who they could set him up with. As soon as they let he and Caroline have some meaty interaction, though, I was totally on-board with that pairing. He already has too much responsibility on his shoulders and he just lost his sister, so someone sweet and gregarious like Caroline can only be good for him, and he’s already shown that he can be a positive, grounding force in her life just by being so blunt with her. I’m much more into that romantic possibility than the Elena/Stefan angst-fest, so I hope they get a decent amount of build-up and screen time.

Apparently I have romance on the brain this evening.

Edited by Jubi, Jan 4, 2010 @ 9:08 AM.

raculfright13

raculfright13

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

I finished watching the 10 episodes this past week and I really liked it, I'm looking forward to episode 11 and beyond.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 5:30 AM

Damon痴 too much of a vicious sociopath for me to ever buy Elena being attracted to him short of a 電ark phase for her (and it would probably have to be an 摘lena becomes undead level of dark, IMO). It seems like IS gave up on trying to engage ND with the sexual tension蜂 felt like he was trying at first to present Damon as being attracted to Elena and whip up some sexual tension, but she wasn稚 reciprocating and he stopped trying. It comes off like he just sees her as his brother痴 annoying, goody-goody girlfriend nowadays, and any flirtation on his part is just to annoy the overly-serious lovebirds.

I like Elena as a character and the Elena-Stefan dynamic more than you do, but ITA with every word here! And, seriously, I LOVE Damon's role as the instigative, hilariously snarky taunter as opposed to his being the 'wounded bad boy fighting endlessly for Elena's luuurrrve.'

One of many (many, many, MANY) reasons I hope the show avoids traveling down that treacherous path to Love Triangle Hell is because, based on what we've already seen, IMO it would be preposterous for a supposedly level-headed, self-respecting young woman like Elena to want to be with Damon romantically. We all know you can't always control who you're attracted to and often end up with the charming, charismatic bad boys (especially if they happen to look like Ian S.!), but Damon's an extreme: he's already proven so scarily (albeit deliciously, entertainingly) sociopathic that it would really come across as masochistic and borderline insane for Elena to even consider dating him IMO.

(And, just to be clear, I absolutely adore Damon/IS as that deliciously, entertainingly evil sociopath and, while I enjoy the small glimpses of humanity we get from him, I'm praying to the TV Gods that damon is NEVER 'redeemed.')

I also completely agree with you re wanting the relationship between the Salvatore boys to be the core of the show and, in many ways, I actually feel like the show has already begin to head down that road. In general, I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much of the season has focused on the characters' family relationships, friendships and even family histories rather than just 'OMG it's another epic romance' (though, admittedly, on this show I like a bit of that as well!)

Edited by couldhavebee, Jan 4, 2010 @ 5:31 AM.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 2:06 PM

They致e been through the 展e can稚 be together/廼h, yes, we totally can! conflict at least three times already and we池e only 10 episodes deep.

While I love Elena and Stefan together, I seriously agree with this. I hate it when you're invested in a couple on a show, and the writers decide to bring some "drama" by breaking them up. It's stupid. We can add drama to Elena/Stefan without having them break up and get back together 110000 times. There are only 2 times I think a break-up is justified: finding out he's a vamp (because that's gotta come as a shock) and her finding out that she's Katherine's doppelganger. Other than that, let's lay off the romantic angst.

tvjunkie23

tvjunkie23

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

I felt like he was trying at first to present Damon as being attracted to Elena and whip up some sexual tension, but she wasn稚 reciprocating and he stopped trying. It comes off like he just sees her as his brother痴 annoying, goody-goody girlfriend nowadays, and any flirtation on his part is just to annoy the overly-serious lovebirds.

Agree with this, though I'm glad ND decided to play Elena that way, because to have a girl somewhat attracted to two brothers so early in the show would just be annoying and so cliched. At least with Stefan, there's some basis for the attraction thanks to their "epic" talk between Episode 1 and 2.

The only ways Elena would be attracted to Damon, thereby getting the romantic triangle off the ground (I find this inevitable somehow) would be if she was in his thrall, if Damon started to show some qualities worthy of redemption or if she had an underlying reason, which is to find out something from him.

While I love Elena and Stefan together, I seriously agree with this. I hate it when you're invested in a couple on a show, and the writers decide to bring some "drama" by breaking them up. It's stupid. We can add drama to Elena/Stefan without having them break up and get back together 110000 times

Heh, it's a show with teenagers, so this is inevitable ;)

suzier

suzier

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

I actually don't mind the makeup/breakup thing because they all flow, for me, logically. It all feels like one sort of elongaged, messy, "do we or don't we" situation rather than a series of precise makeup/breakups. The drawn-out "do we or don't we" period happens frequently IRL and is even more justified under these circumstances considering the whole vampire thing. I actually PREFER having the characters stumble hesitantly into a relationship given that he's a vampire whose brother keeps killing people, and I think it's more realistic than, say, what happens in Twilight.

I don't think it should keep going much or any longer, though, now that everybody's cards are on the table,.

Kelane

Kelane

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

Good grief, is this hiatus over yet?! When the show returns I don't know if I am going to be let down because expectations will be so high because of the long wait time or if I will love it no matter what because of waiting so long for anything at all. :-) Usually I tend to fall into the latter category unless things are really, really bad! (which I simply can't imagine)

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

When the show returns I don't know if I am going to be let down because expectations will be so high because of the long wait time or if I will love it no matter what because of waiting so long for anything at all. :-)

I think when the show comes back it will be amazing, because they left us in SUCH a great place with possible werewolves, Elena finally finding out she looks like Katherine, the mystery of Alaric, the oh-so-adorable Matt and Caroline (Mattoline? Catt?), and of course the crazy car crash. I can't wait.

Fukaduk

Fukaduk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 1:31 AM

This show has become so much more then I ever hought it could be, especially considering that I thought it would be like twilight (which I hate). However, I now can't wait for the next episode to air. I'm actually looking foward to this show more than any other. I can't applaud the writers enough for their interpretation of the books, and the dynamic relationships between all characters. I even find myself enjoying Elena and Stefan! Strange considering I usually hate the lead male and female in shows lol. And Squeee to the cuteness that is Matt and Caroline! (Caratt, Carott, Catt, Cartt, Matroline lol? So many combinations made of win)