Andre Leon Talley

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

Interview with Coutorture.com:

...Talley shared plans to return to America's Next Top Model. Calling Tyra Banks, "a fabulous business woman," the Vogue contributor explained he coined the word 'drekitude' while watching Rachel Maddow repeat 'quackitude' on her MSNBC show and thinking of the German word for garbage, drek. As for next season, Talley promises there will be a new 'tude in his arsenal.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 3:31 PM

Tim Gunn describes ALT's eating habits in his new book:

Gunn also writes of a run-in later that year with Editor-at-Large Andre Leon Talley at the New York Public Library at a panel discussion with photographer Timothy Greenfield-Sanders and People editor Martha Nelson.

Gunn, Nelson and Greenfield-Sanders went to sound-check, but Talley refused. Gunn writes: "When we return to the green room, we see that someone has spread a translucent barber's bib over Andre and he's reclining, his arms at his sides. He's being fed grapes and cubes of cheese one by one, like a bird in a nest."

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

Tim Gunn said it so it must true (really). I also read it in Tim's voice which makes it that much better. I also love the story about Anna Wintour being carried down the stairs firemen style so as not to have to mix with the little people on the elevator.

Dont Say Lazy9

Dont Say Lazy9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 12:44 AM

Please tell me that ALT being fed grapes and cheese like a bird is a joke Tim Gunn made. Now all I can think of is this in human form, and that shit's not cute.

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 9:17 PM

Ahahaha I love it! I also love that Futurama is back!! :D

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

André Leon Talley Is Loving Grandfather Sweaters for Fall

ags

ags

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 4:07 PM

He is also co-hosting CBS' livestream of Fashion's Night Out fashion show, reportedly the largest public fashion show in NYC history, which is tonight at 7PM ET (a little under two hours).

From nymag.com:

This year Vogue has managed to stretch Fashion's Night Out from one evening to a full week of excitement. It begins with New York City's biggest ever public fashion show in Lincoln Center on September 7. Though tickets were damn near impossible to buy (anyone have any luck lately?), you can watch the show live online, which is free and will probably be a much more comfortable situation than the alcohol-free crowded-subway feel the live show might have. Also, you can watch Vogue's André Leon Talley — the best reality-TV judge in the history of reality TV — host a live webcast of the show on CBS.com with Vogue-approved slashie Hanneli Mustparta, the model and blogger. Their webcast begins at 7. -more-

Edited by ags, Sep 7, 2010 @ 4:15 PM.

semellesdevent

semellesdevent

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

Thanks for such an interesting thread, everyone!

Whatever Andre Leon Talley’s relationship with Anna Wintour is like, and whatever his editorial power at Vogue or his social awkwardness, he is a remarkable person, and one who does a huge amount for a show like ANTM.

In my opinion, he fits into a grand tradition of African American self-invention. Whatever obstacles his race and background might have originally put in his path, he has made them totally irrelevant. He has made himself as cultivated, as aristocratic, as the most privileged European jet setter, and has done it purely as an act of will, starting from nothing. What this does is give him a kind of ironic edge. He’s an insider but an insider who simultaneously sees things from the outside. This position is the essence of “cool,” and it’s one of the greatest gifts African Americans have given to American culture. If freedom is about anything, it’s about that.

To understand his genius, just think about how he looks. Fashion is an industry where standards of physical appearance are so tyrannical that even Karl Lagerfeld starves himself. And yet ALT manages to be his own, somewhat odd-looking person, because he has made himself into a character so compelling that the question of his greater or lesser conformity to a physical ideal is irrelevant. This achievement is something like Diana Vreeland’s, but goes beyond it, because she, as a main-line WASP, had a huge social leg up that ALT did not.

Similarly, Anna Wintour is the daughter of a newspaper magnate with predictable “professional woman” looks. She has earned her astounding confidence, I’m sure, and she certainly has an amazing eye, but she didn’t have to create her authority from scratch: she got the first taste of it served to her at birth on a sliver spoon. While her career has been remarkable and her persona memorable, it isn’t a work of genius, like ALT’s or Diana Vreeland’s. She’s not about freedom, she’s about power. While she’s an impressive example of the type, there’s nothing original there.

This is why I think getting ALT is such an amazing coup for ANTM. The thing that made the show almost unwatchably silly before his arrival was that it seemed to exist in this weird alternate universe in which everyone talked about “high fashion” while giving no sense that they had _any idea_ what it actually entailed. At least with ALT they get a chance to see what _real_ fashion is all about: an act of disciplined self-transformation, conducted according to a set of very clear social and cultural rules. While rich white kids from major European and American cities have an easier time understanding those rules, ALT proves that anyone can figure them out, if they bring enough commitment and intelligence to the table.

Now, if only we could get the girls to stop expressing enthusiasm by squealing: that’s “Seventeen,” not “Vogue.” Plus it forces me to watch with my finger over the mute button.

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

• Interests:Laughing at misfortune, rooting for the villians, egging on the bitches.

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 10:25 AM

I was surfing at vogue.com when I found this article by ALT. Of course, I laughed at the photo chosen to illustrate the article. If this man had his way, we would all be wearing tents.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

I was surfing at vogue.com when I found this article by ALT. Of course, I laughed at the photo chosen to illustrate the article. If this man had his way, we would all be wearing tents.

Who is the model in that first photo? It is Donyale Luna?

ThighraBanks

ThighraBanks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 5:44 PM

Who is the model in that first photo? It is Donyale Luna?

I'm pretty sure it is. If it's not, they look a loooot a like.

thedullgirl

thedullgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 9:46 AM

The article mentions her name (in bold print) in the second paragraph.

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Perhaps this is being discussed in another thread? Andre Leon Talley out, Kelly Cutrone in

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I wonder if that means that the prize for the winner will no longer include Vogue Italia?

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

This is why I think getting ALT is such an amazing coup for ANTM. The thing that made the show almost unwatchably silly before his arrival was that it seemed to exist in this weird alternate universe in which everyone talked about “high fashion” while giving no sense that they had _any idea_ what it actually entailed.

Yes. Now we all know that Angelea's pockmarked face and big belly are the epitome of high fashion.

Honestly, if ALT is high fashion I guess I don't get it. I've found his column to be unreadable for years (does he do anything at Vogue other than write it?), I think his attempts at styling have proven disastrous (e.g., Jennifer Hudson at the Oscars), and I think he has made ANTM even sillier by promoting the hamsters who are least likely to find any real success in the modeling world. I also find it rather humorous that he deliberately mispronounces certain words - I think he is trying to sound French, but he just sounds ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to having Kelly Cutrone take his place. I think she'll have a better perspective on the girls in the competition.