Pitbulls and Parolees

• Please log in to reply

232 replies to this topic

rlb8031

rlb8031

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

I don't think she had a kennel license, because before this law you only needed one if you operated a kennel (boarding animals for hire), not a rescue.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

It would be pretty awesome if AP did a show about that cell dog program in Gwinnett County. I would watch that all day long.

A few years back there actually was a series about inmate dog training programs around the country. It lasted maybe 10 or 12 episodes. Sorry but I don't recall the name (maybe it was Cell Dogs?) or whether it was on AP, A&E or Discovery. It was a really nice show.

Also, brothel in Nevada? What am I ignorant of?

Edited by Quilt Fairy, Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:23 PM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Quilt Fairy - I watched that show, too and loved it. I'm also completely ignorant of the Nevada brothel, but have long had my reservations about the possible "shady" side of Tia's affairs. I always thought she was just playing fast & loose with how all the donations are spent, but have nothing other than my own suspicious mind to blame for that. Perhaps it's time to do a little investigating...

motw

motw

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Brothel story:

http://www.tahoebona...evada/108030050

If you google around you can find more. This info was a big deal to her opposition in Techachapi, not surprisingly.

As far as not previously having a permit because she was a rescue and not a kennel, she used to advertise boarding pit bulls for something insanely cheap like 10 or 15 bucks a day. I called to inquire because I was having a hell of time finding a place to board one of my pit bulls who was dog aggressive and hard to handle. I never got a call back. I ended finding a kennel that was more expensive but has excellent staff that love pit bulls and understand how to keep them from getting in trouble sans cigarette smoke and ATV noise. She also used to have exotics and wolves and animals that were working commercially. If she didn't have a permit for all that all of those years, she sure was lucky. She mentioned previous AC inspections on the show too which lead me to believe she had some form of permit.

CrazyinAlabama

CrazyinAlabama

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Wow! The brothel article was interesting.

I have one question about the rescue moving. Since her husband (I realize he's currently in jail, but I assume will be on parole someday), and the other paroles are from the California prison system, then how will they be allowed to move to LA or Texas? I thought that when a parolee moved the original state had to give permission, and the other state had to agree to supervise? And these days I bet there are funds involved too, since California is broke.

rlb8031

rlb8031

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

I'd assume that only the guys off parole will move and then only if their family situations permit it. Everyone else will probably get left behind.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

I imagine Tia will have to find all new people. These guys can't be making that much more than minimum wage. There's really no incentive to move halfway across the country if she does end up in TX or LA.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

A brothel? Where does Tia get all the money to buy so much land? How can a woman who cares so much for dogs and convicts think that a brothel is a great place for human beings to work?

The rescue center is registered with GuideStar, but I don't fine any listing in Charity Navigator, an independent charity evaluator.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

A brothel? Where does Tia get all the money to buy so much land? How can a woman who cares so much for dogs and convicts think that a brothel is a great place for human beings to work?

Good points, pasdetrois. I started thinking about how the whole clan can afford so many nice vehicles & toys I've seen on the show, and what income besides the 501C3 charitable funds they were living on before the TV show started subsidizing their lifestyle. I'm all about saving dogs, but have to wonder if making epic road trips (which I'm assuming they did even before TV show) is the best way to be spending the limited monetary resources available. I'm not talking about the trips for the hurricane or tornado dogs, necessarily - there have been others.

It will be interesting to see how the story evolves. I have my reservations about why Tia thinks the new location is "her kind of people"; I suspect we're seeing a sanitized version of her organization and am curious to know how it is viewed by charity raters and other reputable rescue organizations. Just because she's the "biggest pit bull rescue in North America" doesn't mean she's the best. Just sayin'.

bizee

bizee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

while searching for the brothel story, then searched on her husbands name, there was a post to some story re: the twins. didn't sound good how they ended up in the 'family'.

I also wondered about the big trucks those kids were driving. Obviously she doesn't live in a mansion and the house is pretty sparce from what we see.

I also would like to see more stories like the county jail. My mom, recently looking for a dog talked to a friend about a local prison program. I said I thought it should be in all, and even and especially in the youth detention and programs. Many of them lack that unconditional love which leads them down the wrong path.

Starrla

Starrla

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Anyone else watching the new season? Episode 2 aired last night. I like their new digs in New Orleans. I always tear up at least a couple of times while watching this show, dang it! Especially when Comanche got a home. *sniff*

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

How wise was it to let a family with seven very active children adopt a very ortho-challenged dog? I was cringing as the kids were hanging all over Comanche's back. Comanche's arthritis and other related illnesses are only going to get worse with age -- probably much worse (speaking from personal experience with my own dogs).

I hope they can afford to keep the AC running in the kennels from about April through October.

And do they put beds down for all the dogs? The cold, hard concrete isn't good for joints, although it probably feels good on a hot day.

What is Tia going to do when the river floods?

Gator is a good lookin' dog.

MuShu

MuShu

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I forgot about this show, but caught the new episode. Realized I don't like Tia much, and question the wisdom of having her young, scantily clad daughters around ex cons.

What will she do when it floods, and it will indeed flood, even a few inches of water will be a huge issue with that many dogs. She comes all the way across the country to live in a notorious flood zone with almost two hundred dogs? I think she enjoys misery and strife.

Why did she move?

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Realized I don't like Tia much, and question the wisdom of having her young, scantily clad daughters around ex cons.

I like Tia, but from the first episode I have questioned having her daughters around the parolees. I'm sure the daughters are wonderful people, but it also bothers me that they both have so many tatoos they look like ex cons themselves. Totally their business and their choice, of course. If they were my daughters, I would love to have them working in the family business, but I'd still want them to be able to get good jobs outside of the business as well. Their appearance would definitely hinder this, along with the fact that neither of them seem to have any "higher" education.

So how did Tia pay for this move? Did she buy the building or is she renting it? Too many unasnwered questions in my opinion.

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

She comes all the way across the country to live in a notorious flood zone with almost two hundred dogs? I think she enjoys misery and strife.

I'm scratching my head on this one as well. Not to mention I've read many counties in Louisiana have pitbull bans, so how are these dogs going to get adopted out?

How wise was it to let a family with seven very active children adopt a very ortho-challenged dog? I was cringing as the kids were hanging all over Comanche's back.

I agree it's a disaster waiting to happen. A dog with chronic pain + hyper ass kids could result in a bite. Then it's just more bad publicity about so-called "vicious" pitbulls.

I want to like Tia, but I hate the way she takes on more dogs than she can handle and then bitches about it. I just don't see how she has a large enough staff to make sure 200 dogs receive proper daily exercise and mental stimulation.

cheeztoast

cheeztoast

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I think her heart is in the right place but common sense is not in Tia's vocabulary. I also agree that she's putting herself, her family, her workers and all those dogs at risk by basing her operations in the lowest point of a flood plain, along the river, no less. Maybe Animal Planet thinks this will bring the excitement when it comes to hurricane season when they have to evacuate two to three times a season, at least. Sucks for the dogs. On the other hand, I can see her point that there are not enough pitbull rescues in the South and obviously pitbulls are allowed in the city if so many people have them. She's taken on a tough job and I hate to say that even though some of her actions annoy me, I do like this show - love the dogs.

linderhill

linderhill

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I think the only times I really like Tia are when she's interacting with the dogs. Other times she's on her high horse about something and it plucks my nerves. I'll miss Mondo at the new site. The daughters are definitely in it for they're 15 min. as is Jake the tattooed idiot. The man has annoyed me ever since he was stupid and irresponsible enough to get arrested the day before a fund raiser in Vegas leaving Tia and company in the lurch. (he tried to outrun a cop if I recall correctly, and ended up hospitalized and jailed).

I have to admit that I was getting tired of the seemingly biweekly trips to NOLA that Tia and crew were doing the last couple of years. Of course I could be mixing those trips up with the various "rescue" and home placement trips. It seemed like they were on the road with a dog crate for some reason every week. I admire what the woman is doing and her total lack style is refreshing. Seeing Tia dressed appropriately for the climate of the area as opposed to her daughters makes me smile. I hope Jake learns to put a shirt on some time or he'll be eaten up by mosquitos.

Rdltr

Rdltr

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

I haven't seen this since it went to just Saturday night but I don't think she's great or performing a service for these dogs. If anything she's promoting a stereotype. I've always owned GSD, another misunderstood breed, although they do need a firm hand because they are like perpetual 3 yos, they are loving, extremely tolerate, but yes protective. But like any child, it's a big scary world out there and they don't want to be in charge. Because they're a dog and a pack animal they repay your love and care with the same, and they protect what's theirs. A backyard dog has no loyalty and a mean treated one just makes a mean insecure dog.

Tia promotes the stereotype of the breed that it's a gang tattoo owner. I've seen that its nearly impossible to adopt one of "her" dogs, she more of a hoarder than anything. And I'm not buying that she cares so much about the parolees. She had a contract and was paid by LA county not only as a place for pit bulls, but as a place for parolees. They paid her for each parolee. Ok she says the fees got too high in LA so she moved the operation to New Orleans, a place that is inundated with pit bulls so she won't ever be able to place them, and some parolees couldn't go because they couldn't leave the state. She really cared about them.

TinkyWinkyBinky

TinkyWinkyBinky

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

On the one hand, I can understand why she has so many rules for the adopters. She is well-known now, and if a dog wound up in the news for getting out and biting someone, etc, and it was noted that it came from her rescue, she could get a lot of negative press. But, when she goes to an adopter's house and everything looks great, except they have a 5.5" fence instead of a 6" one, it can seem like she doesn't really want them to be adopted out. She could just try and make the person commit to walking the dog as all of us who don't have fenced in yards have to commit to do.

There was a recent episode where a dog was chosen by an adopter, and then they realized he knee issues and had to have surgery or something? I thought that was odd that they were only addressing it when the dog was going to get adopted. If an owner did that, that would be considered negligence, wouldn't it?

Something else I don't understand - they rely on donations and always seem to be short on cash, which is understandable. But then they show them offering to put up fencing for people and they brought that older man's dog to the vet and got him on heartworm treatment which had to be costly. So I wonder if TLC paid for all that so they'd have story lines?

I did not look closely enough at their pens Bitter Apple - I agree, they should not be laying on concrete!

I live in NY, and our local shelter is about five minutes from the inner city, and also no-kill, so we have an overabundance of pitbulls here. I know Tia does adopt long-distance, but from my experience, pitbulls are so easy to come by , it seems like so much trouble to go through VillaLobos. My brother has a pit - he's a cop and found her in the streets. He brought her to the shelter and went back and adopted her after their standard waiting period.

Edited by TinkyWinkyBinky, Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:38 PM.

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

TinkyWinkyBinky, I agree. As a pitbull owner and advocate, I can appreciate on the one hand that she's very strict about whom she adopts dogs out to. God knows, there's enough morons out there giving the breed a bad name. However I do agree she can be overly nitpicky at times. Personally I think her New Orleans rescue site is depressing. I cringe when I see those dogs laying on bare cement, even my county shelter puts blankets and bedding in the runs so the dogs don't stress their joints.

I get that Tia runs a rescue and budgets are tight, I just wonder whether we do more harm than good when we warehouse dogs like that.

Rdltr

Rdltr

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I understand your points about her adoptions. But pit bulls are just dogs like any other dog, some agressive some not. Any dog of any breed can be trained to fight sadly. It's not inherit to the breed and takes a tattooed owner to control it like she makes out. They will do anything to please the pack leader which is why the best dogs never attack humans. If they do or if they are jut too submissive they're killed. Sadly at some point because of their look, and to be honest probably because of how willingly they love people and want to please, they became a favorite of dog fighting and gang stigma. I think she promotes that stigma. And I really do think she's just a hoarder. Every dog has diffences no matter what breed. And each has personality differences. A lot of people have little pocket dogs that they dress up etc and the dog rules the roost. Is that tiny dog going to really cause harm? No of course not, but it's still an agressive dog and to the dog it's head of the pack. The owner thinks its cute, it's not. But you take the exact same behavior and owner treatment and apply to a larger breed and suddenly they're called an agressive dog. At one time I took in a golden retriever that was gong to be destroyed. At the time I also had two GSD. Although any and all dog will see one person as alpha due to the pack, GSD love each family member. All dogs need to be taught that no matter what, they are the bottom of the pack. That's not hard to do. But it's much harder with golden retrievers, I really don't know why they are billed as great family dogs. They aren't. They're hunting dogs and years of breeding to be loyal to one person. Although they live happily in a family, they really only care about one that they see as the hunter. As a side note, the only dog that I've ever owned that bit anyone was the golden, the shepherds warn first, bite as last resort.

I don't think they're short on cash. I saw one show where they owned the place in LA county, that she still owns, bought another place in CA which she still owns, and had all kinds of equipment they own to move kennels, level land plus the money for water containers etc. To say nothing about the cost for all the fencing.

It's an entertaining tv show, nothing wrong with that, and she makes a boat load from it I'm sure. Again nothing wrong with that. But the sob story is fake and I'm sure soaks people. That's what bothers me. If people have big hearts and want to financially help someplace it should be someplace that truely appreciates and needs it.

BitterApple,wow the use of warehouse dogs, that's exactly the way I was looking for to describe it. I get that she says she has adoption standards, I think every place does and should. Actullly the local GSD rescue in my area has very strict standards. But her so called standards are helter skelter. I saw one show where she decided it wasn't a good secure home although they had a large high fence etc, and then another where the couple lived on the top floor or an apt building, both worked all day, no fenced yard, community space, small living area and very steep stairs yet they were considered wonderful. I thought that would be for a house cat, but not a dog of any kind.

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I can't wrap my head around how it's acceptable to have a dog in a pen the size that most of them are on this show with just a walk a day. Even two walks a day would still mean the dogs are stuck in that small space for the rest of their life, unless they get adopted. It's so depressing. I guess it beats the alternative, but still. I would think that confirnement would drive the dog crazy.

Tia's daughters are so personable and generous. I really like them, but always feel sorry for them. They just seem like a ragamuffin. I know they work hard, but grooming should still be a priorty for a young woman. They don't seem to have any concept of that. Tia doesn't appear to be very healthy. It appears the burden of her rescue is wearing her down.

Edited by SunnyBeBe, Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:35 PM.

Rdltr

Rdltr

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Ragamuffin! Lol I know what you mean though, and they do seem really sweet. I'd be surprised if any of the dogs are even walked once a day. None of them appear to have a clue how to walk on a leash and they look so grateful and excited when they're taken out for potentional adopters, then she says they have to work with them first.

I was stunned when I read Tia's age, I thought she was a lot older.

TinkyWinkyBinky

TinkyWinkyBinky

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Yeah, I don't often look at people and think they could benefit from a facelift, but I think that when I look at Tia. I agree about the girls and I don't see how it's practical to wear short shorts when you are dealing with dogs that are going to jump all over you and scratch you.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

It's so depressing. I guess it beats the alternative, but still.

That's the eternal dilemma every valid shelter struggles with. Should you euthanize unadoptable animals, or keep them for years in a small kennel, with little socialization and one brief walk a day? At the shelter where I volunteer we very regretfully euthanize when space runs out. And FYI some of the "no-kill" shelters ship some animals to other shelters to be euthanized. It's one of the dirty little secrets of the animal shelter world.

My shelter has high adoption standards, too. Adopters joke that it's easier to adopt a child than a dog. But we do it to ensure the dog goes to a true forever home, and to be sure they aren't going to cruel environments (e.g., laboratories).

Ever since I heard that Tia wanted to open a brothel in Nevada, I've wondered if she has businesses other than her pit bull operations. I've never bought the cash-poor story she sells.

One of the gossip blogs reported that one of Tia's daughters got engaged over Thanksgiving. Apparently her fiance is a woman.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

I agree with all of the comments about the daughters and their appearances. Tia doesn't look as haggard this season, but still could use a facelift and makeover. I realize she isn't in a glamorous profession, but her clothes look as if she was going for the most unflattering look possible. Probably why her daughters look much the same.

I hate the new location. I totally agree that it's depressing and the accommodations for the dogs seem uncomfortable and inadequate. I can't help but wonder what they do with the dog waste?? The place obviously wasn't built to accommodate dogs. Warehouse is a good term, as is prison.

I'm tired of Tia pleading lack of money when they own properties, made a major move, and drive late model cars. When the program first started, I admired her and would have given a donation if my own finances permitted, but she clearly has quite a bit of material wealth. I will stick with donations to my local shelters when possible.

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

I might be the only left watching that cares enough to post? I watched the last four episodes last night and man! they do have a lot of different cars.

In the four episodes I watched there was a Truck, two different Jeeps, Blue SUV thing, white van and a silver van. (those vans may have been the same van.) There are also multiple vehicles parked on the property.

The whole thing with Jake quitting had to be reenacted, it was too weird. Maybe he really hadn't been working at the rescue all that much anymore?

I guess he could have never mentioned it but how would they not know he was in a serious relationship with the Vet from North Carolina? That whole quitting scene was odd. I guess it was probably reenacted. I searched and couldn't find anything about him starting a rescue.

Finding Alien was definitely reenacted. How the hell would the caller have seen him from the Highway? There is no way. It made me really sad that they probably kept him on the electrical cord to get the shot.

I like Earl.

I really thought Booty Foots' owner was in for a lifetime of crate and rotate but it seemed to be going okay - which is my greatest fear about getting a second dog and why I haven't done it yet. Also Boy dogs and their weiners gross me out - I am very mature.

They never gave the update on the Mom and the older Pup from under the Orange house so I am guessing they were PTS.

Most APBT rescues are adamant that the whole BAIT DOG thing is/was a myth and I am sure it has happened, though it was probably more likely there were dog that were good at working the fighting dogs or strays living on the streets getting into scraps and fights. It's tough on the streets.

I think that all the Dog rescues crying about Poor Bait dogs kind of created the reality of Bait Dogs.

Edited by bubsy, Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:00 PM.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

Yeah, I'm one of the people who stopped watching when she moved to NO. I think she moved to an awful location, a warehouse in an ugly industrial distric right on a river that is guarateed to rise and flood the place sooner or later. Remember the show Last Chance Highway from a couple years back? In that show, dog rescues down South were shipping excess dogs up to the Northeast because so many people just dump unwanted dogs and excess puppies and they couldn't find anywhere near enough people that wanted to adopt shelter dogs so most were being euthanized. Yet here comes Tia with her pitbulls, which under the best of circumstances, are a niche dog.

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

I do think though that she moved to NOLA because she saw the need for a APBT rescue in the area not because adopting APBTs would go like gangbusters. She mentioned to Jake that there is no APBT rescue in North Carolina, which isn't true though I don't know how reputable the ones that exist are. The stats for Pit Bulls and Pit Bulls mixes making it out of the shelters nation wide are like 1 in 600. It seems like a lot of adoptions featured come from out of state or are Mariah's friends.

The previews for the new episodes do show them having to evacuate for Isaac. I remember the rescue that was busted in Texas recently (Spindletop, who facilitated me getting my dog over 15 years ago though I am in California) had to evacuate a lot, and VRC left California because the people didn't want them. I wonder if the only land available is really undesirable.

BessieLimpet

BessieLimpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

I watched for the first time last night. I caught about 4 or 5 episodes and I have one question...do Tia's daughters ever dress in complete outfits?

Every time I saw them they looked like they were in a hurry and didn't have a chance to finish putting their clothes on.

I'm very far from being a prude but it seems odd to me to dress that way around a bunch of men who may not have seen women in a while.

Edited by BessieLimpet, Jan 13, 2013 @ 6:15 PM.