Santana Lopez: She's a Lebanese

• Please log in to reply

6034 replies to this topic

Breadstix

Breadstix

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Naya's hosting the GLAAD awards again. This time in NYC with Cory!

@NayaRivera & @CoryMonteith of @GLEEonFOX will host #glaadawards in #NYC 3/24! bit.ly/glaadawards #Brittana #Glee #LGBT

Naya Rivera ‏ @NayaRivera
Also really excited and honored to host the GLAAD awards in NY!

Naya Rivera ‏ @NayaRivera
And @CoryMonteith is hosting too! Can't get any better.

GLAAD ‏ @glaad
We're excited too! RT @NayaRivera: Also really excited and honored to host the #GLAADawards in NY! bit.ly/glaadawards

Glad to see her doing it again this year.

Doorlocks

Doorlocks

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Can't wait to see her host this year! She was hilarious and adorkable last year, and the GLAAD people obviously loved her since they're bringing her back. Lots of good stuff in the next few months. GLAAD, NewNowNext, Glee coming back, those magazine shoots, and Maxim and FHM Hot 100 Lists.

northern eye

northern eye

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Glee, another show that started out focusing on a female character whose career dreams kept her going, is now one of the most anti-female shows airing. The show consistently belittles the role of women, using them as little more than emotional leaning posts for their boyfriends, boyfriends who are always heroic and decent. When Finn outed Santana it was treated as a good thing, Finn helping her come to terms with her sexuality by serenading her with a cover of Girls Just Want to Have Fun. After all, lesbianism is just girls having fun, right? Weeks later when Dave Karofsky suffers similarly by being outed it is shown through an emotionally overwrought montage and makes way for a story about teen suicide.

Source

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I thought Naya's hair and makeup looked great for both of her outfits last night; the first dress was a bit odd, the second was divine. Though is the two-dress thing normal for these kinds of events now? Seems a little wasteful.

northern eye

northern eye

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Multiple dress changes have been the norm for awards shows for years. I'm glad she mixed it up a little, with different make-up and hair styles. Not gonna lie though, that red number in "America" is still my favorite look on her.

They auctioned off kisses again, with a good natured contribution from John Stamos.

GLAAD kisses

Edited by northern eye, Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:20 PM.

Doorlocks

Doorlocks

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

Naya's name has come up a couple times in the last couple of days in regards to who should play Johanna Mason in Catching Fire. I think it's great that her name is getting out there as a possibility, even though I know that casting is a long way away.

Likewise, Naya Rivera has been playing a very Johanna-like character on Glee. (Itís not hard to imagine Santana wielding an axe.)

http://popwatch.ew.c...g-fire-actress/

When I first read "Hunger Games" fan posts citing the "Glee" star as their pick for Johanna, I was a bit hesitant to jump on board. But the more her character, Santana, develops on the FOX musical series, the more I like her for the role. As an actor, Naya has both the unreserved confidence and the lovable personality for the part.

http://hollywoodcrus...-johanna-mason/

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I became quite exhausted with Glee after the last episode and this hiatus, but I too have noticed Naya getting mentions as a possible Johanna! Johanna is one of the slightly more substantial roles in Catching Fire, so it'd really make Naya shoot up in Hollywood. Great exposure. The casting shouldn't be that far ahead, I think they're scheduled to start shooting in the Summer/Fall, and since it's almost April, I think Johanna should be cast quite soon. For me Margarita Levieva will always be Johanna but I'd love it if Naya got the chance to audition! And of course I wouldn't mind her getting the part either, she'd be awesome.

I don't know what that'd mean for Naya on Glee though, but of course speculation about it at this point is quite pointless. I doubt I'd continue watching Glee without Santana or with her role significantly reduced, since I've totally given up on poor Finn-bound Rachel and don't care about any other characters. Santana keeps me watching this show! Actually, has Naya been confirmed to be on Glee after S3 yet? Last time I checked it was still just Lea, Cory and Chris.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Naya was confirmed almost immediately after the first three. Those four are the only people who presence in season four has been explicitly confirmed.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Thanks! I thought so, but when I didn't immidiately find any official data to proove it I was starting to worry I had dreamed it or just taken it for granted.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

@NayaRivera
Super excited about working on glee for another year! Season 4 is going to be great! Ryan just filled me in on the new ideas. #iheartglee
3:56 PM - 8 Jan 12

This was the day of the FOX TCA tour.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Naya on the cover of Latina magazine.

Troll Murphy supplies gives good quote, which is a nice sign of her increased prominence.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

She looks fantastic, wow.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

The article in Latina was nice - I was about 50/50 on whether the fashion choices they made for the photoshoot worked.

Naya won the "'Cause You're Hot" Award at Logo's NewNowNext awards. Who needs a Golden Globe?

Edited by Colonel Green, Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:24 PM.

Doorlocks

Doorlocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Tomorrow is Gleeday! Can't wait to see Naya back on my screen every week. This hiatus has been killer.

She looked so good in her Latina shoot. I hope there are some outtakes.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Not much from our girl this week (as with a lot of characters), but a lot of background cute with her and Brittany (and definitely much more conspicuous than for much of this season).

Breadstix

Breadstix

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

She got one good quote:

Kurt: A Gerschwin-Sondheim Scavenger Hunt!
Santana: Ugh, that sounds like torture.

And a great reaction shot to Hungry Like the Wolf. Santana being the only one allowed to be generally unimpressed with Blaine is a blessing.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

My favourite small moments were the bits on the rollercoaster, where I think Naya wasn't really acting at being scared of the heights, and looks set to break Heather's hand.

Breadstix

Breadstix

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Santana's supposed to be a badass. Then Naya happens. ;)

"We're gonna die." + death grip.

She's actually fanning herselfin fear.

Edited by Breadstix, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

Doorlocks

Doorlocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

It was so weird not to have Naya on a song this episode. Although I'm sure it was even weirder for Lea fans to go an episode without one from her. But anyways, I remember last year when it was pretty rare and really exciting for Naya to get a song. Now it's rare for her not to get a song. Which I love!

Edited by Doorlocks, Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:01 PM.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Can't wait for all the gifs and screeengrabs cause Santana looked fiiiiineeee this ep.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Naya's solo was a lovely vocal performance (and nice to have one; it's been a while since Funeral). But she definitely drew the short straw in terms of staging of the three competition songs (Mercedes gets Brittana backup dancers, Finn gets a whole group dance number, she just...walks around the floor a bit).

Her future had never been discussed before this episode (Mercedes, they had at least established, was interested in singing), so I guess they decided to use that as the "be cool, stay in school!" opportunity. The final scene with Brittany and Sue was very good.

She looked awesome in that suit.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Can't wait for all the gifs and screeengrabs cause Santana looked fiiiiineeee this ep.

God yes! Especially in that pink jumpsuit. I've already saved a few of those gifs.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Which of you fine posters believed that Santana could qualify for a full-ride scholarship on cheerleading? (the lack of thread-specific search is a real detriment) Good job!

OTOH, clever as the "U of L/It's in Louisville" in-joke was, and as good as Louisville's Cheer actually is, I would have preferred an OSU shout-out. Ohio State (co-ed) Cheer is KILLER.

I don't have much good to say about Santana in Glee-Ver. A lot of recent character history was ignored in service of the "stay in school" message, and the long-awaited solo was fine but not the usual outstanding-to-brilliant. Then again, Santana did sort of save a personally much-loathed song by saying it was about fame.

ETA: Oops. How could I forget? Santana was SMOKIN in that polyester suit. Strut, baby, strut.

Edited by DEM, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:15 PM.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

I know a lot of people thought Santana was out of character tonight, and well, yeah, I can't argue with that one. It was a mess. But I don't think "The Spanish Teacher" can really be used as a justification for why she was out of character. Frankly, I thought her "my education is important to me, but you're treating it like a joke (and oh, I'm suddenly offended by stereotyping)" righteousness came just as much out of nowhere as her "college is useless, and I'll do anything to be famous" randomness. I can sort of see how either of those perspectives came about for Santana based on previous characterization, but it was way over the top in both episodes, and I wish they'd have found a nice middle ground.

northern eye

northern eye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

Which of you fine posters believed that Santana could qualify for a full-ride scholarship on cheerleading? (the lack of thread-specific search is a real detriment) Good job!ride scholarship on cheerleading? (the lack of thread-specific search is a real detriment) Good job!

You're welcome!

Though I'm sure there were others ...

But seriously - aside from the "hubba hubba" of it all, watching her interact with Brittany was a blast. Those two crazy kids are actually pretty good for each other.

yellowpride

yellowpride

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:51 AM

But I don't think "The Spanish Teacher" can really be used as a justification for why she was out of character.

For me, that was only part of it. I mean, I wish they had gone in the direction of her caring about further education, as that episode kind of implied, but it wasn't that shocking that they didn't. Personally, I thought that the bigger issue was her wanting to be generically famous and not caring how. This is a girl who, less than 6 months ago, was featured in a political ad that outed her to the entire state. I think she maybe already had her brush with the sucky side of fame.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

Another factor is that Santana's father is a doctor. Unless she has the most detached parents ever, there's no way they just let her sit around and not apply to any colleges whatsoever. If she had applied to places but really didn't care? I might have accepted that. In the end, however, there were simply too many pieces out there (esp. but not solely Michael & Spanish Teacher) to make this story completely believable.

Breadstix

Breadstix

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Which of you fine posters believed that Santana could qualify for a full-ride scholarship on cheerleading?

Me, me, me! Feeling totally vindicated right now.

I'm quite over Santana's private life being wrenched from her while she's given unheard protestations, her agency is removed, and then she's told it was for her own good and thanks those who did it.

But for my own sanity, I'll ignore it because good god Naya was smoking in this episode. The jumpsuit was yowza. Her pale green dress looked fantastic on her. And that suit was swag x1000.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

Santana always struck as someone to who attention, status, affection, and validation ment the most outside of her personal happiness with Brittany so yeah signing I love song to Brittany and fame made perfect sense. Also Santana has always been a Machiavellian type of girl when it comes to getting what she wants, so fame by any means necessary also seemed like Santana. When Brittany showed her what by any means necessary actually meant, the only point of Brittany making the process as unconformtable as possible, she realizes that not anytype of attention is good attention and that she'll be happiest using her many talents to get fame and U of L on a full ride is a good start.

Breadstix

Breadstix

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

Brittany couldn't have had a conversation with her about that? Or maybe showed her what some others do for fame? Or maybe reminded her that not all attention is good attention, for example: her outing?

No, she had to release their sex tape. And Santana's lesson was about dignity and fame, while Brittany received no lesson on violation of trust and privacy. In fact, she got to be the one to deliver the deus ex machina redemption in the form of a scholarship.

If a boyfriend had done to Santana what Brittany did, publicly humiliated her, kept it up despite her asking to take it down, and then coming out the hero for doing what was best for her, it would be hell right now.