Dr. Teddy Altman: Desert Storm Barbie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

kiefers

kiefers

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 5:17 AM

Seem nice, the crush will piss me off but I like how she delt with snippy Cristina.

LoveOwenCris

LoveOwenCris

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 5:24 AM

Hum, I have no big problem with her too. But somehow, the comparison with her and Cristina scares me a little bit. Because if Owen will cheat in the future, it is gonna be Cristina's fault.

Geeze

Geeze

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 8:53 AM

I am in two minds about her. I am assuming from what she said about her thinking that if he ever ended it with Beth she would call him that she is in love with Owen or at least wanted to get horizontal with him or something in between. Given that, if she loved him why would she see that he is really deep into a new relationship and then hit him with her own feelings. That can only make things messier for him unless she thinks she's got a shot. I don't like it. Any way you slice it, it's going to be messy.

It all depends on the depth of her feelings for him I think. I would be royally pissed if a guy I had been crushing on invited me out to where he was only to find out I am a present for his present. She was nicer about that than I would have been. I thought she was fair and nice to Cristina.

Final thought: dude, let her go hit on Shepherd. Please don't mess with the Yang-Hunt of it all.

LoveOwenCris

LoveOwenCris

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

Yeah, I hate to see Cristina get all miserable again.

My question is, what did Owen do to her to make her to feel that way? I mean he will call her, once he leaves Beth? What kinda of story of them, makes her think that way?

That is really mess.

Mousse

Mousse

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

I am blocking her and Owen's nonexistent relationship out of my mind for the time being. Thus far, she doesn't seem like the melodramatic type, but no one on Grey's really did until the writers poked and prodded them into insanity.

Instead, I'm just going to enjoy having a fun-loving female character on my television screen in the weeks to come.

leelooUK

leelooUK

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 5:08 PM

I really liked her during this episode. She did great with Cristina. Even felt sorry at the end, seems like shes been waiting her turn to be with owen since ages..

Geeze

Geeze

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

My question is, what did Owen do to her to make her to feel that way? I mean he will call her, once he leaves Beth? What kinda of story of them, makes her think that way?

I think it depends on her perception patters with respect to men. One woman's just wanna be friends is another woman's pass is another woman's marriage proposal is another woman's get out the mace and call the cops.

I think we will get that answered as this non-thing (keeping positive thoughts here) goes along. I like her too. Of course, my continued like will be directly proportional to Cristina's comfort level with this.

Edited by Geeze, Nov 13, 2009 @ 6:19 PM.

Geesuz

Geesuz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 6:48 PM

They did a good job balancing out her character, and she is perfect as Cristina's teacher. It almost makes me feel bad that there are bound to be trust issues between them because of her unrequited feelings for Owen.

I am assuming from what she said about her thinking that if he ever ended it with Beth she would call him that she is in love with Owen or at least wanted to get horizontal with him or something in between. Given that, if she loved him why would she see that he is really deep into a new relationship and then hit him with her own feelings. That can only make things messier for him unless she thinks she's got a shot. I don't like it. Any way you slice it, it's going to be messy.

That was a little aggressive of her, putting that out there. It seems as if she's trying a last ditch effort to get Owen to see her the way she sees him - romantically. I don't think he will, but I guess she's not giving up. I don't think she'll do anything too obvious, but I don't like it either. It just seems a plea for him to look at her as girlfriend material, when she should move on to someone else.

I don't think she has a shot at all. From what we have seen of Owen, when he falls for a girl, he doesn't leave any room for misinterpretation. He wasn't shy at all when he first met Cristina, he was constantly around her, showing off, staring, flirting very obviously and kissing the hell out of her. If he felt that way about Teddy, even a little, he would have made a move. Teddy has never seen the side of Owen that we saw on the season 5 SP.

Edited by Geesuz, Nov 13, 2009 @ 6:50 PM.

CardioQueen

CardioQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

I love her. I absolutely love her. She's strong, she can deal with Cristina and she can teach her even knowing that she's in a relationship with Owen. She recognizes the talent but doesn't let the personal crap get in the way (yet).

I look forward to seeing more of her. I already hope she stays.

That is unless they kill her character and turn her into a weak whining frail thing to. Or make her a lesbian and involve her with Cristina. :P

Geesuz

Geesuz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

She recognizes the talent but doesn't let the personal crap get in the way (yet).

I hope that lasts, I really do.

That is unless they kill her character and turn her into a weak whining frail thing to. Or make her a lesbian and involve her with Cristina. :P

Ha! If they do make her a lesbian, I pray they put her with Callie and perhaps that will depress AZ enough that she stops talking about fairy dust.

She seems like she and Mark would be a good match, but doubt that'll happen.

Edited by Geesuz, Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:14 PM.

whainott

whainott

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

I've never like KR in anything that I've seen her in - always thought she was a dull actress - but I like her as Teddy. I like Teddy so far, but I don't want her to be a regular. I wouldn't mind if she was a recurring character along with Arizona, Lexie, Mark and Callie with the the Fab 4 being the focus of the show. But unfortunately the concept of recurring chracters doesn't exist on Grey's so I think she's staying, specially since Shonda loves her.

She seems like she and Mark would be a good match, but doubt that'll happen

I think so too. Mark needs someone like Teddy. He's become so dull since he hooked up with Lexie. I can't stand their scenes.

Edited by whainott, Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:18 PM.

Hucks

Hucks

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 9:46 PM

Ha! If they do make her a lesbian, I pray they put her with Callie and perhaps that will depress AZ enough that she stops talking about fairy dust.

Seemed more like there was a mild flirtation going on with Arizona for a minute to me. As I was watching last night it crossed my mind that Arizona had the hots for her which made me wonder if there would be a reveal at the end that she was Owen's gay BFF!

So far I like her, but I am hesitant. It's only her 1st episode. I liked Owen at first and now I feel a bit meh about him, same with Arizona. I hope they don't try to force things, as they are apt to do on this show, or give her a personality transplant in the next few episodes.

pendletons

pendletons

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 12:12 AM

I like her. Even though she's most likely a potential regular. I would, however, be willing to trade her for Richard and Lexie (and throw in Tinkerbitch and Caveman, too).

I probably read more into it but the title "New History" and the way Owen looked at her after her reveal and how he kept looking after she walked off makes me think there's going to be much more with these two. His wheels are definitely spinning. They share a past and seem to be very comfortable with each other. Maybe what she said woke him up and now he's wondering how he could have missed the signs, wondering what if, etc.?

If they end up going in this direction, no doubt Cristina's going to be in quite the pickle. She would be forced to decide which is her priority, her love for Owen or her love for surgery.

Does anyone know/care to guess what Teddy is short for? I've never heard of or known a female with that nickname before.

SparklePager

SparklePager

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 1:17 AM

Purely speculative on my part here.

Theodora is my guess.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 2:35 AM

Hucks, we think alike. I liked Teddy, but I am wary of adding yet another character to this show. I also think she could quickly become annoying or a caricature very quickly. Like you, I like Owen at first, but he is definitely not my fav anymore. Can't stand AZ these days.

It feels like Teddy is here to stay for a while. Interesting that ABC is already testing her positives. I don't remember anything like that happening with Rose or Finn.

Also, like it or not, she does have chemistry w/Owen. In fact, she may have more chemistry with him than Christina. But, I also wonder if the writers are purposely pulling C/O apart a bit now to make way for Teddy. Mer/Der lost a bit of spark too during the Rose days so I don't think it is the end of the world.

What I like about her character is that she is relatable (unlike Hahn, Dixon, Sadie, Rose, etc). There is something about her that is appealing because she isn't trying so hard to be either super nice or super badass. I will give the writers/actor credit here for her introduction. It was well done. But can they keep it up?

I also wonder what happens to Teddy when the Owen/Cris triangle is resolved. I fear she becomes another useless character like Callie or AZ.

I probably read more into it but the title "New History" and the way Owen looked at her after her reveal and how he kept looking after she walked off makes me think there's going to be much more with these two. His wheels are definitely spinning. They share a past and seem to be very comfortable with each other. Maybe what she said woke him up and now he's wondering how he could have missed the signs, wondering what if, etc.?

I think that is exactly what they were trying to convey and it was damn convincing.

It seems inevitable that Owen will be all conflicted and perhaps he and Cris will break up and he'll be w/Teddy for a spell until he realizes that he really loves Christina and she loves him more than cardio, etc. It feels like old ground rehashed, but these actors might pull it off. Let's hope the writers don't get too stupid w/this.

Leilah

Leilah

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 3:27 AM

I'm impressed. I didn't expect much of her so it came as a nice surprise. She has an interesting face and there's a lot of warm to her character so far which is good. I'm not familiar with the actress' previous work but she definitely leaves you with something. She made an excellent first impression. I really like that she's not trying too hard and overacting her scenes. So far so good.

Also, like it or not, she does have chemistry w/Owen. In fact, she may have more chemistry with him than Christina.

I absolutely agree. I'm so glad that someone else noticed. I didn't think they'd have it when she first appeared on the screen but in their final scene it really came through. I have a history of rooting for the most odd/impossible TV couples so I'm going to enjoy this whatever it is between them while I still can.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Well I'd like to see Kim Raver WEARING A TEDDY.

As a character named that? Haven't made up my mind yet.

So far she's gotten a better first appearance than most characters on this crappy show though. But what's coming? I bet it will be completely predictable. Because of who's writing this show.

Mousse

Mousse

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

There was a Dr. Theodora 'Teddy' Rowe on Nip/Tuck at one point...

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

There was also Theodora "Teddy" Reed on the show Sisters in the early 90s played by Sela Ward. She dated a detective played by George Clooney just before he went off to join ER.

I liked Teddy in her first episode. I liked the fact that she wasn't overly sweet & perky or a bitch. I also thought she meshed well with the other attendings in the lunch scene and also liked her in the scenes with Cristina.

SloanRanger

SloanRanger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 1, 2009 @ 6:39 PM

I like Kim Raver as an actress but I've never liked any of her characters much. I do, actually, find Teddy very warm and appealing, but there's a big problem for me that has nothing to with Raver.

Teddy is this made to order dream girl - blonde, leggy, warm, friendly, brilliant and compassionate. And she and Owen have 'been through the war together'. They know each other in a 'special' way - that's been hammered home. So really, what chance does prickly, difficult, socially inappropriate Cristina have against her? The deck, she is stacked.

Team Yang all the way.

Geesuz

Geesuz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2009 @ 4:59 AM

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I think Teddy has gotten too much of a pass because initially she came off as nice.

What exactly was her motivation for coming to Seattle? If she thought Owen was still with Beth (since they are both from Seattle) what the hell was she thinking? Was she coming with the goal of breaking them up?

And confessing her feelings to Owen was a bit of a bitch move too. I am getting the feeling that she intended to confess her love etc. all along. Only her competition changed from Beth to Cristina.

On review, not finding her all that likable anymore. Cristina can be a bitch, but I have never seen her be a backstabbing bitch. Teddy knows Cristina exists as the girlfriend and still made a play for Owen.

The deck, she is stacked.

Seems like. Though I don't think she will be seen as all that nice for much longer.

Edited by Geesuz, Dec 2, 2009 @ 5:10 AM.

kiefers

kiefers

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

I don'tthink she's a bitch just desperate.

evangelista

evangelista

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 4:42 AM

Congrats You were good in then first episode and made puppy eyes all through the second and now you are a regular!

Have to admit Teddy and Hunt are well suited.

Reem

Reem

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 5:25 AM

Wonder if Teddy will be hooking up with someone other than Owen like let's say Mark.

evangelista

evangelista

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 5:30 AM

Reem where would the drama and angst be in that?

You should know better rabbit ;p

Reem

Reem

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

You know she can always hook up with Mark and Owen becomes jealous ;).

evangelista

evangelista

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2010 @ 3:37 AM

Of course Reem! the trump card of the lame,contrived green eyed monster How did I forget that?

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2010 @ 8:30 PM

There's a Marvel Comics superhero of the same name, one of the Young Avengers, which one imagines was deliberate given that Allan Heinberg co-created both of them.

Really like Kim Raver as an actress, and I think she'll be a good addition to the show.

Bridget1990

Bridget1990

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

I think they shouldn't have added Teddy as a regular her characters just doesn't interest and never will and I thought she was OK in her first episode but after that it all went down hill IMO.

Sarahjane10784

Sarahjane10784

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:astrophysics, knitting, running, reading, writing, watching too much TV

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 1:31 PM

Now that the Teddy/Owen/Cristina triangle has been resolved, Teddy is totally useless. I could not have cared less about her and the trauma counselor (although I did like her line "I'm not G.I. Jane, I'm attachment Barbie!"). I liked her in "These Arms of Mine" where we see her trying to get Avery out of the hallway and yelling at the security guy. That's the badass Teddy I want to see again. But other than that moment, she hasn't had a lot of stories this season.