Teen Mom

• Please log in to reply

21694 replies to this topic

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 12:03 AM

Macy, Amber, Farrah, and Catelyn from MTV's 16 and Pregnant will be on the show, premiering on 12/8.

From the preview, Amber has depression. Tyler and Catelyn seem to be the only stable couple; Ryan is still being an ass toward Macy; and Farrah is still annoying.

Edited by IvyDarling, Nov 13, 2009 @ 12:25 AM.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 10:16 AM

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 2:51 AM.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

*sets DVR*

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

I wonder if the segments on Catelyn/Tyler are simply going to be how they are dealing with Carly's adoption; because unlike the others featured they are NOT parenting. (or giving the allusion of parenting). Those two were my favorites out of the 16 & Pregnant series, and if this show provides them some money for college (or some other sort of post high school schooling) I am happy they had the opportunity to participate.

pythonesque

pythonesque

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

Trailer is here.

KedzieMatthews

KedzieMatthews

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 4:13 PM

Oh my god, what a trainwreck.

First of all, Maci? Please, PLEASE don't marry Ryan. He doesn't care, and he never will. He's a shiftless lump, and you can do much better.

Second of all, the Farrah date clip made me see red. "Looking at me, would you think I had a kid?" "No." "Good." "You're gorgeous." o_0 Excuse me? I know that guy must be very young, but not all mothers become unattractive blobs after having a kid. What a narrow-minded, douchebag thing to say. And the sad thing is, she thought it was a compliment! Good gravy.
Oh, and her mother's comment about not being a teenager anymore once she decided to keep the baby? Right on. I don't care for the woman, really, but she's made some good points. If Farrah had a brain, she'd listen. You gave up your childhood when you decided to keep the baby, sweetheart. Deal with it.

I feel sorry for Amber going through depression at the age of sixteen-lord knows I can relate. Having an infant to take care of only makes it worse. I can't imagine what she must be going through.

Catelynne and Tyler need to get away from their asshole parents. Seriously, who cares if Ryan got a tattoo of Carly's name and birthdate? Just because they aren't raising her, it doesn't mean they don't love her. It seems his father and her mother are constantly making comments about the adoption, and that's the last thing they need. They probably feel enough guilt about the situation without these two meth-head hillbillies making them feel worse. I pray Catelynne isn't pregnant again, though. What a fucking disaster that would be.

I'll be watching, but I think it will make me cringe, just like the original series. It's just such a depressing subject.

Edited by KedzieMatthews, Nov 13, 2009 @ 4:14 PM.

CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 4:24 PM

I wonder why Whitney is not part of the show. I remember her posting something about filming for the new teen moms show.

Edited by CollegeGirl, Nov 13, 2009 @ 4:59 PM.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 4:50 PM

Isn't it Whitney whose child has a serious congenital condition? It would make some sense if she didn't want that all over the TV.

KedzieMatthews

KedzieMatthews

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 6:50 PM

I can see why Whitney isn't a part of it. If my son had a disease, I wouldn't want camera crews all over my house, either. I'd be too busy trying to figure it out without that shit buzzing around me.

Rebeccacrt

Rebeccacrt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

I have a feeling that Whitney's own depression issues and her baby's health problems probably led to the decision not to do the show. Hopefully MTV was smart enough to realize that she is probably the most fragile of all the moms and the show would not be a good idea.

I'm also hoping that clip with Farrah on her date was edited to sound that stupid. Otherwise I'm offended by that jerk and her. I do agree that her mom is right to tell her that she doesn't get to do all those teen type things any longer. She made the decision to keep her baby and that means sacrificing some fun and freedom. Nobody expects her to live like a nun, but hanging out and partying would not be appropriate when you have a baby at home.

I will be interested in seeing what happens with Amber, as she is probably the one with the most support as far as the baby's father is concerned.

Maci can't get away from Ryan fast enough.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 8:18 AM

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 3:05 AM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

By omitting Whitney, it's kind of like omitting those stories of supermultiples where 4 of the kids have mental disabilities and giving the exceptions all the attention, "Oh those Gosselin kids are cute and healthy. Let's just show them instead!" A a result, the general public has no real clue how risky it is to manufacture (yeah, I went there) and give birth to a health set of multiples.

Yellow October- I am so happy someone said this. Both teens and adults have this "idea" that having children will just work out, and no matter what things are going to be 'fine' because they love their child. For some people that is true, but I think if people were shown just how hard it is to raise children with special needs (either mental or physical) many people would think twice about "hoping" everything would be alright and think LONG AND HARD about if they want to have children at all. Having children is a huge responsibility (if you do it right and really put the child's needs first), usually one the Childfree (like myself) understand more that people who go "oops- well I guess I am going to be a parent".

Edited by scarlett45, Nov 14, 2009 @ 12:40 PM.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 12:41 PM

Oh, I agree. Whitney's story isn't just missing from the narrative about teen moms, it's missing from media narratives, period. People need to be understand just how high the stakes are when they have kids.

Rebeccacrt

Rebeccacrt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

Yes, Whitney's story (or one like it) does need to be told. Not that I'm hoping for anyone to have to deal with illness or struggles like that, but hopefully MTV can find a way to tell the story without the constant instrusion of cameras that would have been too much for her to handle.

I'm hoping that if MTV does decide to continue with the 16 and Pregnant series that they do look for some more diversity in their stories (not just racially diverse). I'm mentoring at a local high school right now. There is a 17 year old girl there who has a daughter who was just diagnosed with autism. Another girl in the program has a son with a kidney disorder. It would be beneficial for MTV to highlight that not all the babies born to teen or other moms are healthy or happy, bouncing infants. There are also those that chose adoption as a later option - after realizing just how tough it was to be a young parent.

I didn't know it at the time the show was airing, but Whitney is actually connected to my family in a way. Having learned more about her and her life right now, I do think that she needs some time to adjust and grow/recover emotionally from all the changes in her life.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 3:04 AM.

emcmac87

emcmac87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

A little info I've seen, mostly on myspace

Maci and Ryan are no longer together, thank god.

Amber and Gary also seem to no longer be together and he claimed that she cheated on him and did drugs at some point after the baby was born, he also said she has been enjoying the attention of men who have gotten in touch with her because of the show and even sent one nude photos. He took down the post he made about this shortly after he put it up.

O and not a spoiler, I remember people asking about this on the other thread, Farrah did name her daughter after Sophia Loren, but added the t because she thought it made it sound more french.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 5:50 PM

By omitting Whitney, it's kind of like omitting those stories of supermultiples where 4 of the kids have mental disabilities and giving the exceptions all the attention, "Oh those Gosselin kids are cute and healthy. Let's just show them instead!" A a result, the general public has no real clue how risky it is to manufacture (yeah, I went there) and give birth to a health set of multiples.

I agree. I said this on another show thread but it needs to be said here. Teens have no clue what it entails to have kids and certainly the last thing on their mind is having a sick or mentally ill child. If teens saw that not every pregnancy ends up with a healthy child, it just might open their eyes up a bit more and put emphasis on how serious a matter having a baby is. I am sorry Whitney won't be a part of this show but I also feel it was a missed opportunity to enlighten.

Edited by Malibu65, Nov 20, 2009 @ 5:51 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 5:55 PM

I am sorry Whitney won't be a part of this show but I also feel it was a missed opportunity to enlighten.

I get what all of you are saying, but I'm also tempering this with the fact that Whitney may not be able to deal with all of this and a child with a serious liver disease. Her situation is definitely a teaching moment, but I'm putting her mental well being ahead of her being on the show to teach other people.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 6:02 PM

I get what all of you are saying, but I'm also tempering this with the fact that Whitney may not be able to deal with all of this and a child with a serious liver disease. Her situation is definitely a teaching moment, but I'm putting her mental well being ahead of her being on the show to teach other people.

I agree IVY. Her health and well-being is far more important if that is indeed the case. It doesn't have to be Whitney necessarily. I am sure MTV could have found a young girl dealing with a sick baby to be part of the show. I realize they are focusing and up-dating us on the teen girls we saw (Farrah, Maci). I also wish there was focus on a teen dealing with a sick baby.

Edited by Malibu65, Nov 20, 2009 @ 6:03 PM.

PrincessFenyx

PrincessFenyx

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

Ok so maybe because I have two kids under the age of two and also because I am not much older than these girls this show pisses me off. Well not this show yet but I can just hear the 'I didnt relize this would be this hard' and ' I cant just be a kid anymore' and ' I didnt think he was this big of a douche' (ok so the last one just what they would be thinking) and it frustrates me. I know Ill watch but it was hard to feel sorry for these kids when the girls were knocked up and bitching about stupid shit. I dont think Id be able to stomach the whole 'my teen years are gone and its not fair my loser boyfriend wont do his part' maybe thats just me

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

I know Ill watch but it was hard to feel sorry for these kids when the girls were knocked up and bitching about stupid shit

Totally agree, I'm so sick of these kids getting knocked up and then acting as if they've been kept in the dark all these years and didn't know they had to use BC and use it faithfully. There is more crap on TV and in magazines and books and school about sex education than there ever was when I went to school and yet I knew it was either keep your legs closed or use BC to avoid a SURPRISE, how are these kids so stupid? I'm betting a good % of the teenagers who watch this show and it's predecessor still end up pregnant. I am at a loss for what else parents/schools/society should due to combat this problem.

KedzieMatthews

KedzieMatthews

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 9:50 PM

Did any of these girls' mothers sit them down and talk about sex? I get the feeling they had little to no education on the subject.

wonderchica05

wonderchica05

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

Even if their mothers did not talk to them, they got more than enough information in school (starting in 4th or 5th grade) and in teen magazines. I went through the supposed (according to the media) "abstinence only" sex ed (I'm 22) and they still talk about contraception. There's an article on it almost every month in every teen magazine. It's easy for these children to go back and try to blame their parents, but them not receiving information is not the problem. They chose not to USE the information they had.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 12:12 PM

they got more than enough information in school (starting in 4th or 5th grade) and in teen magazines.

That's assuming that they had sex education in their schools (and some of the girls lived in small southern towns who probably did abstinence only education without any talk of contraception--there are still programs like that being taught) or that they read teen mags which isn't always true.

When it comes to teen girls and sex, I don't think there should be a "even if their moms didn't talk to them" situation going on. This is not an area, IMO, that should be left solely up to the schools to teach.

FWIW, though, Amber knew about condoms but didn't use them religiously because her man (can't remember his name) didn't like them. So, she rightly took part of the blame during the 16 & Pregnant reunion show.

Edited by IvyDarling, Dec 5, 2009 @ 12:17 PM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 12:32 PM

FWIW, though, Amber knew about condoms but didn't use them religiously because her man (can't remember his name) didn't like them.

And I also think he said it was her fault for becoming pregnant. Whatever dude. At that point it was her fault because if your man won't use a condom, then go find one who will wear one. If he had any previous sexual encounters, God knows what he might have picked up on the way. The thought of that Magilla Gorilla having had any previous sexual encounters makes me shudder.

This is not an area, IMO, that should be left solely up to the schools to teach

I get so fed up when I hear that that schools need to the be ones to educate our children on everything that should be discussed at home. With all the other curriculum that schools need to emphasize on, there is not enough time to educate children on other matters.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

If he had any previous sexual encounters, God knows what he might have picked up on the way.

That's what I think of when I see these girls with older, more experienced boyfriends. They're lucky pregnant was all they got. I remember I was in middle school when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV-positive, and it scared me and my friends to DEATH. It seems like these kids have no concern for STDs - I guess they assume it won't happen to them.

I just saw a preview for this, and it looks pretty depressing. I think Farrah is going to continue to work my nerves (they showed her on a date and she asked the guy if he could tell she had a kid by looking at her; he said no, she said "Good"), and I think Maci and Ryan continue to be doomed (there's talk of her moving out but they also showed her trying on wedding gowns), and they showed Amber pushing Gary into a corner and hitting him, and also taking meds for anxiety and depression. Yikes.

KedzieMatthews

KedzieMatthews

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:15 PM

I get so fed up when I hear that schools need to be the ones to educate our children on everything that should be discussed at home.

I feel exactly the same way. We wouldn't have this abstinence-only bullcrap in the first place if people taught their own children about sex...but this isn't a perfect world, obviously.

wonderchica05

wonderchica05

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:25 PM

My point is that sex education does not solely lie in the hands of the parents. Yes, of course parents should be the first to teach their children about sex and contraception. But I don't think we can say these girls did not know anything about contraception because their parents didn't teach them. Their parents may not have said anything (although they should have), but they still heard about it in school. I went to school in a small, conservative Southern town like some of these girls. We were taught in school that abstinence is best, but that if you're going to have sex you need to use birth control.

Edited to add: I could be wrong, but I also seem to remember at least one girl (can't remember who) saying at the reunion that they still did not use birth control. They all got the best lesson on why birth control is essential and (at least one) someone still did not get it.

Edited by wonderchica05, Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:28 PM.

Countess123

Countess123

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

Catelynne and Tyler need to get away from their asshole parents. Seriously, who cares if Ryan got a tattoo of Carly's name and birthdate? Just because they aren't raising her, it doesn't mean they don't love her. It seems his father and her mother are constantly making comments about the adoption, and that's the last thing they need. They probably feel enough guilt about the situation without these two meth-head hillbillies making them feel worse. I pray Catelynne isn't pregnant again, though. What a fucking disaster that would be.

ITA When they gave their baby away that was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I hope Tyler gets some education because he seems to be a very level headed person despite his upbringing. Sadly, he was the most sensitive & supportive young man out of all of the ones on the show and he would have probably have made the best father out of all of them.

Farrah, don't even get me started on her. I thought she was an ugly brat before and from the previews she doesn't look like she has improved.

It doesn't seem to matter how much education teenagers get they still think they are invincible. Wherever you turn everything is so sexualized now it is hard to get them to understand they are making life changing decisions when they have sex.

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 7:05 PM

While watching the recap of the show today, it re-irked me how much less support Tyler got than Catelynn. After she gave birth when he kept saying "This is all for her, this is all for her!" it seemed like he was trying to comfort himself. Then his mom told him to comfort Catelynn who seemed much stronger than him (though maybe that was a front). And Catelynn got the beautiful bracelet from Teresa and Tyler got squat. Someone should have been there for him more than what I saw. To watch a young man's heart literally breaking on TV made me so sad. I really hope she doesn't end up pregnant again because 1) that would make me think a *little* less of them, that they didn't learn anything and 2) if they went the adoption route again it would totally tear their souls apart as well as mine :( I checked the internet for a donation site but I couldn't find one. I don't have much money but I would love to contribute to their college funds because they seem like smart kids who could go all the way. It definitely warms my heart that Brad(?) and Teresa are still in contact with them and give them updates often. I can understand Amber's violence... I don't even have a child but depression and anxiety can make you act insane! I wish them all the best (even the bubble-headed Farrah).