Jersey Shore

• Please log in to reply

10031 replies to this topic

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

I was watching the news this morning and on Fox News there was a story on how Italian-American groups are protesting and calling for the cancellation of Jersey Shore, calling it racist, a la, "We Got to Do Better", a.k.a., "Hot Ghetto Mess".

Think it'll be cancelled?

Caramellica

Caramellica

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

I was watching the news this morning and on Fox News there was a story on how Italian-American groups are protesting and calling for the cancellation of Jersey Shore, calling it racist, a la, "We Got to Do Better", a.k.a., "Hot Ghetto Mess".

Think it'll be cancelled?

Not a chance. If anything the controversy will help ratings.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 12:15 PM

I get where they're coming from, but if they couldn't get The Sopranos and about nine billion mafia-themed movies off the air, there's no way the far less harmful Jersey Shore is going anywhere. Personally, I'd like to cancel much of the BET channel, but that's not happening either.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

Ok, I need to see photos of Nicole during the winter, because the girl is like two shades darker than me (and I'm black) and the obviously fake blue contacts are killing me.

For real! Plus the dyed black wannabe Kardashian hair. You can just tell that her skin is FRIED. I bet she looks like that year-round - that is some serious, long-term skin damage she's done. Tanning until you're orange is something I just do not, and will never, understand. It never looks good and it ages you prematurely - people think tan = young, but I always end up thinking that fake and bakers are 5-10 years older than they turn out to be.

I can't tell them apart yet, but the one who brags that she's a bartender so she "does great things" had me dying. Not knocking bartenders at all (I cater-bartended in college), but it is not "doing great things." Hospice care workers, teachers, they do great things. Baby girl, all you do is mix drinks.

This is going to be so hilarious. They ran the Jersey shore True Lifes over the holiday (I Have a Summer Share and I'm a Jersey Shore Girl) in preparation, and this show looks like those amped up by ten. I view it as kind of a sociological study - I don't know anyone like this, so it's a whole new world (and not one I care to join, but am all for snarking on from afar) for me.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 5:32 PM

I view it as kind of a sociological study - I don't know anyone like this, so it's a whole new world (and not one I care to join, but am all for snarking on from afar) for me.

On that note, I can understand why Italian Americans are calling for the cancellation of the show. For those with no real frame of reference or interaction, this show will provide nothing but affirmation of stereotypes, IMO. However as a black woman who's seen people complain about shows like RHoATL, I kinda feel like...and? People are going to think what they want, and those who believe these shows and their perpetuation of a stereotype probably wouldn't believe anything that didn't fit their view in the first place (or just view that as an exception).

I say that those groups calling for this show's cancellation need to chill out.

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

Oh goodness, I can't remember the last time I watched MTV on a regular basis, (I don't even watch VMAs anymore) but I will renew my viewership with MTV for this show alone.

BTW what's with the spiked gelled up hair? I wonder if it's Jersey thing, because I live in the south, and I certainly don't see anything like it in my neck of the woods.

Edited by sereion, Nov 29, 2009 @ 10:39 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 9:46 PM

I wonder if it's Jersey thing

At the very least it's not just NJ, but a Staten Island thing too as seen in TL: I'm a Staten Island Girl (or some name like that).

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

I have not been this excited for an MTV show since...Real World Hawaii? I've got it programmed in the DVR and Im watching TL:Summer Share right now. Oh my God this show is going to be so awesomely wrong.

MTV needs to dig up TL: I'm Getting Married for that crazy guy who freaked out on the limo driver. I think he started the whole Jersey Shore trend (although he was from Staten Island).

Before the snark begins, I must say that I like that the girls look healthy and toned, but haven't bought into the "must be rail thin" mentality of the young women in the "The City" socio-economic milieu.

I will agree with that. Ignoring the orange these girls seem to have great bodies and be happy with their curves.

Edited by pjamma, Nov 29, 2009 @ 10:06 PM.

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 10:02 PM

I'm in tears ovah heeeah. LMAO.
I'm going to teach my 3 y.o. the fist pump and Gotti Gel my Yorkie's hair for the premiere.

AK23

AK23

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

MTV needs to dig up TL: I'm Getting Married for that crazy guy who freaked out on the limo driver. I think he started the whole Jersey Shore trend (although he was from Staten Island).

Lol, you are so right. What was his name, Charlie? and his wife Sabrina with the inflated lips, deep tan, jumbo boobs and nasally voice? And maybe Tommy from the Summer Shore True Life episode will make an appearance!

This show is going to be a hot mess, oh lord! I saw the extended promo and I was in shock. Where do these trashy ass people come from? I was cringing just watching the promo. As a black woman I understand why many Italian-Americans feel embarrassed by the show and don't want it on the air. Hell, if African American groups got every reality program that showed African Americans in a bad light, the whole damn VH-1 reality show line up and the BET network would vanish! However we live in the real world and MTV would never pull "Jersey Shore" because people are complaining, because to them the bigger the controversy, the bigger the ratings.

indiekicks

indiekicks

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 4:25 PM

Can't wait for this show, seriously. Even though I'm sure a lot of it will be fake and playing up for the cameas. Like the guy who called himself a textbook guido. I assumed it was one of those things like "hipster", where no true guido would ever admit to being a guido.

kacesq

kacesq

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 5:34 PM

Does anyone know where on the Jersey shore this show is set? Judging from the brief snippets I've caught, this Jersey girl is going to take a wild guess and say Seaside Heights. Am I right?

I understand the people calling for the show to be cancelled. Wait, no, I don't get the calls for cancellation. That's extreme, imo. I understand the frustration with the stereotypes (I'm Italian-American) but as a very experienced reality TV viewer, I've come to expect the brashest, loudest stereotypes on these kinds of shows.

And in my experience, a true guido would not only not admit it, he wouldn't even know he was one! :)

GSRgrrl

GSRgrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

I can't be the only one hoping to God that Tommy Cheeseballs will make an appearance.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

Tonight's the night, y'all!

Staten Islander stars in 'Jersey Shore' reality series

LeegallyBlonde

LeegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 4:31 PM

"You can hate me all you want to, but what can you possibly say to someone who looks like Rambo pretty much with his shirt off?"

First line of the SI Live article. I'm sold.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Info about the cast. One of them calls herself J-Wow. Another calls himself The Situation because his abs are so ripped, they're "a situation." SMH. Interesting that only one of them is actually from Jersey.

LeegallyBlonde

LeegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 5:08 PM

This show is going to be a situation that I will have to witness to believe. Something tells me they are going to amp up the Guido-ness though - all these people have to have seen the original Guido-esque shows that have been out there (True Life SI, Jersey Shore, etc.). Let's hope it's not too cartoonish.

Drew328

Drew328

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 7:36 PM

I just glanced at the cast profiles here: http://www.mtv.com/s...hore/cast.jhtml and I noticed that "DJ Paulie D" has a tattoo that said "Pauly" (http://www.mtv.com/p...608/photo.jhtml). Tattoo mishap? Or did Mtv just screw up. Oh, the mysteries of the universe.

I wonder if J-Wow easily removes stains and is machine washable and bleachable.

amsci

amsci

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

I'm betting that "The Situation" does curls in the squat rack.

I'm an Italian American from Queens and apparently, I've been doing it wrong all this time. Thank you, Jersey Shore for providing a valuable resource.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:01 PM

This show has given me the idea to re-name my back fat "The Situation"

Each of these girls (except maybe Sammi) and every one of these guys have a busted-up face. Good bodies all, but the faces---Yowsa.

Edited by WhineandCheez, Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:02 PM.

superkool

superkool

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

I really hope these guys qualify for Road Rules/Real World challenges (since technically this is just like RW)....

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:19 PM

I think the one with the Ed Grimley hair- Ronnie is quite handsome. Sammi's got the cutest face, but Jenni's got a hot Ellen Barkin-ish thing going on. Team Jenni!

Edited by jackiecarr, Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:39 PM.

RHofNY

RHofNY

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:28 PM

I finished watching my Hos of OC and switched over to catch this train wreck. I'm into diversity and multi-cultural programming.

amsci

amsci

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 11:46 PM

Really? Is there some sort of stipulation where they can only hook up with each other instead any of the hundreds of other skeevs at the Shore?

Talk about shitting where you eat.

DaveTVS

DaveTVS

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Can't stand Angelina. That much I know.

OneLastRefrain

OneLastRefrain

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:02 AM

Oh my God I actually know who one of these people are through a mutual friend. That embarrasses me.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:09 AM

I really can't stand Jolie's constant c-blocking. And what's with the roommate girls calling the girls brought to the house whores and sluts? I hate people with Madonna/whore complexes, especially when they are the pots insulting various kettles.

Anyway, I think I would prefered an existing group of friends instead of doing it Real World style.

Oh yeah- I don't know who started the black tips look that Jenni had, but it just looks like your nails are dirty.

Edited by jackiecarr, Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:16 AM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

Anyway, I think I would prefered an existing group of friends instead of doing it Real World style.

This is what I thought was going to be the premise. This is basically The Real World: Jersey Shore, mandatory job and all.

Who's the one will the crazy pit stain in the first segment of the show? Vinny? Whoever it is needs some serious deodorant.

I don't like any of them except for Sammi. And I'm annoyed that Nicole is ruining my name. And, why the hell is she so damn dark? I don't mean it in a bad way--I'm a brown complected black female myself. BUT, Nicole is NOT...so why does she look like she could be my cousin complexion wise?

Perma Grin

Perma Grin

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 12:57 AM

Wow, Corey Haim is looking rough.

amsci

amsci

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 1:11 AM

I don't like any of them except for Sammi. And I'm annoyed that Nicole is ruining my name. And, why the hell is she so damn dark? I don't mean it in a bad way--I'm a brown complected black female myself. BUT, Nicole is NOT...so why does she look like she could be my cousin complexion wise?

I feel for you, it's my name too. Why why why? Annoyed Nicoles Unite!

Girl is supah tanorexic for sure. I'm guessing it's so she can match the color of her knockoff LV bag. If she's Sicilian like me and my sis, that could be why she's so astoundingly dark. During the Summer when we were kids, even my blue eyed, light brown haired sister would get as dark as a hazelnut. :)

Edited by amsci, Dec 4, 2009 @ 1:12 AM.