Misfits: Skins With Superpowers (UK)

• Please log in to reply

952 replies to this topic

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

That is exactly what I am saying though: I do not accept that it had to be a 'predestination paradox'. And if one cannot accept that, everything else seems unnecessary. Again: "what would happen if he didn't? Would their current reality suddenly stop existing? Would the world as they know it stop turning?" Yes Future!Simon came from the future, but I do not accept that Present!Simon had to become him. I do not accept that time only exists as a loop that cannot be changed, so I don't find the idea of Simon/Alisha being 'fated' into a neverending timeloop as an adequate conclusion. It's like I said originally, I do not view time travel the same way as the writers do, so I cannot reconcile these questions, which leaves me totally dissatisfied with the entire Superhoodie story. It 'had' to end this way to write out Iwan and Antonia, but in the context of the show itself and the way *I* understand time-travel to 'work', it's dumb.

Edited by spentcigarette, Jun 15, 2012 @ 2:24 AM.

djsosonut

djsosonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

spentcigarette Hmmm...all I can say to that is that the writers played fair. They showed you who Simon was going to become at the end of his life, all the things he was going to do, and how he was going to die way back in 2x04. The even re-highlighted the complexities in 3x03 with Peter as Simon's doppelganger. Denying, rejecting, and not accepting his choice is understandable, but they played fair. They didn't even try to hide what they were doing, it was all right up front and in your face. So, for me, being upset that the followed through with it all is like being upset that Satine died at the end of the Moulin Rouge, even though they told you that was going to happen at the beginning of the movie. That Lester died at the end of American Beauty, even though he narrated that fact at the beginning of the film. That Bill and Ted actually became the Great Ones by the end of their films. All those things are about the journey, and what happens in between.

Still, I'm pretty sure for as many people that are upset that he went back, there woul've been just as many people upset if he didn't go back. If Simon and Alisha left Misfits without the Superhoodie story-arch being resolved, and F!Simon stayed a romantic idea with no consequence; it would feel like a cop out.

Simon might have been able to make a different choice, but the life he lived showed why he wouldn't and why he hold onto any way he could. I keep saying that this story only holds together because its built around Simon. Most people look back their lives and wish for ways they could do things different and make it better. Very few people look back at the lives and think of all the ways it could be worse, and are simply appreciative of what they've had.

Edited by djsosonut, Jun 23, 2012 @ 11:22 AM.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

They didn't even try to hide what they were doing, it was all right up front and in your face. So, for me, being upset that the followed through with it all is like being upset that Satine died at the end of the Moulin Rouge, even though they told you that was going to happen at the beginning of the movie. That Lester died at the end of American Beauty, even though he narrated that fact at the beginning of the film. That Bill and Ted actually became the Great Ones by the end of their films. All those things are about the journey, and what happens in between.

Well, no, it's not like any of these comparisons at all. You say 'upset' as though my thoughts regarding the Superhoodie plot are coming from an emotional place, rather than a logical one. Simon and Alisha were my least favourite members of the gang. This is not about being sad characters died, or being bitter despite knowing in advance. This is about me rejecting the 'rules' the show set up that say Simon had to go back. It does not make logical sense to me because, again, I do not view time as being an infinite loop and I do not see the situation as being a predestination paradox. The way *I* understand time-travel, their deaths could have been avoided, therefore I cannot accept they were unavoidable, therefore I cannot accept the 'paradox' idea which one must accept in order to find any satisfaction in this storyline's conclusion. The journey, as you put it, relies on the viewer accepting time-travel as being a certain way. It requires (in the context of the show obviously) believing in fate and believing certain outcomes are unavoidable, which I do not agree with because we've seen time be messed with by other characters plenty of times before. The way I see the Misfits universe, nothing is set in stone; things can be prevented or undone; nothing is unavoidable. Again, this comes back to me seeing time-travel (again, in the context of this show, using its own rules) as being vastly different from how the writers need the viewers to see it. You can logically accept the show's 'time loop' idea and that's great, believe me, I wish I could because then I wouldn't have any grievances. But I can't, and as a result there are so many things about this plot I cannot logically reconcile, which is why I find the whole thing exasperating. That is all I was saying.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Why couldn't Simon go back in time long enough to prevent Rachel from killing Alisha? Why did he have to go so far back? And even then he still did nothing but get himself killed instead of changing things. That made no sense to me. IMO, it just made no logical sense for Simon to get the time-travel power and just use it to relive the same events over and over.

Edited by Turkish, Jun 15, 2012 @ 12:04 PM.

djsosonut

djsosonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Hmm..I can't lie and say I don't see other choices Simon could have made. There are many different choices he, and everyone else, could have made. That is way I find this all intriguing, not because there were no other choices, but because there were. Would time have fallen apart and the world unravel if he didn't go through with it? I can't say definitely yes, but I also can't say definitely no. All I know for sure is that we'll never find out because Simon didn't chance it. Since I always saw F!Simon as just Simon from the future, it's easier for me to accept the decision he made, and the outcome, because I was just waiting to see when present Simon would travel back in time and why. Along the way I saw a pattern to the events, in the decisions everyone was making, and how they built up events F!Simon set in motion.

I don't believe Alisha had no choice but to follow Simon in 2x05 after F!Simon's death, but I believe because she did she was there to save him from Jessica's dad. Brian didn't have to go psycho. He made a conscious choice to be a killer. Simon didn't have to take that knife from Curtis in 2x06, there are many other ways he could have handled that situation, but because he did Curtis was able to rewind time, so they can all stop/kill the milkguy. I don't believe Elliot, fake Jesus, had to be a dick, but because he was he set in motion the events that lead to everyone having the money to get their new powers. There is agency in the choices everyone makes. The full weight and burden of their personalities dictate those choices. It doesn't matter that a person existed knowing what choices they were going to make before they did: They still made their choices based on their own personalities and motivations and information at hand. That's what Simon did in the end. He made a choice based on his personality, knowledge and motivations. It's just a big a choice that will save and end lives while creating a paradox and eternal loop.

I don't find his decision useless, dumb, or illogical. I see fate in it, but it fate mixed with free will. Its a contradiction and a paradox. I don't find the paradox interesting because no one had any other choices, I find it interesting because everyone did. So when Simon travels back in time I see him making the choice to lock everyone's decisions in place. So that he and Alisha can live out their co-dependent relationship. So that Nathan discovers his power, and enjoys his time with Marnie. So that Alisha lives to make the choice to get her new power, so she can get the gang to the hospital in time to rescue Kelly from coma girl. So that Curtis masturbates too much, knocks himself up at the right time, so he's there to get the resurrection power from Seth; thus putting all the pieces in place so the zombie apocalypse can be averted, instead of it unfolding some other way.

Simon's protection of his friends is invisible because it's nothing more than the preservation of the choices, that from his perspective, they've already made. So, because of free will, you can argue if his choice was fated (or even necessary) but you can't argue that it didn't work.

"I'm not evil. I do things for a reason. I did it for a reason. I did it for you.....my friends. I did it for my friends." - Simon - For The Record

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

It's all very well saying that "It had to happen that way!" because they had previously shown that that wasn't how time travel worked. When Curtis rewound time, he does change things - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse (in fact, he does manage to make his girlfriend's life better - he just can't make his own life better without unacceptable consequences). With Curtis' power, time wasn't "fixed", and if you establish time travel as mutable it's a bad idea to also have an immutable fixed event.

Mind you, that might be because I can't believe Simon would sacrifice his life to give Alisha an extra six months of life - though that may just be because I'm dead inside!

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Mind you, that might be because I can't believe Simon would sacrifice his life to give Alisha an extra six months of life - though that may just be because I'm dead inside!

Honestly, that is one of the biggest issue I've had with the whole thing. That he risked everything for such little time and didn't attempt to make sure she had more.

Firebunny

Firebunny

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I wouldn't say I shipped Simon/Alisha, but I was caught up in the epicness of it in series 2 and was ready to go along for the ride. I was disappointed in how the show jumped ahead in their relationship for the Christmas special and didn't show us how they fell in love. As far as I can tell they fell in love because they told each other they would. I wanted them to fall in love not because of there destiny but in spite of it. I feel like the show took the easy way out, which did dampen my enthusiasm for the ship, but not enough to hate on it.

I have no issue with Simon making the decision to "fulfill his destiny" and sacrifice himself for Past!Alisha. I love a tragic romance. Give me something beautiful to sob over and you have me forever. What was disappointing for me was that Simon made no attempt to save Alisha. He immediately accepted her death and said, "Now must be when I go back in time." Like I said before, he didn't sacrifice himself so they could be together. He sacrificed Alisha.

It wasn't tragic. It was lazy. (And by that I mean the writing.)

ETA:

Honestly, that is one of the biggest issue I've had with the whole thing. That he risked everything for such little time and didn't attempt to make sure she had more.

Yes. Yes! A thousand times YES!!!

Edited by Firebunny, Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

djsosonut

djsosonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 2:57 AM

That's was always well within Simon's wheel-house. Sally died, and he still came to visit her while she was in the freezer. He didn't really think anything of it. It's not normal how at ease he was around her dead body. Some great dark humor there. But he didn't do it to be funny or creepy, he came to her case he cared for her.

Now the full story is shown you can see Superhoodie is built around the same trait. F!Simon came from the future. Almost no one has a problem accepting that anymore. The main thing is trying to understand why Simon would go to the past right after Alisha's death. Back when series 2 first aired alot of people had trouble accepting that a person fully aware of the moment of his death would let himself die, thus couldn't believe that regular Simon would ever do the same thing or him being the same person. For me the answer is simple, because she loved him and he loved her. This was always the past for F!Simon, which means from his perspective and the perspective of Simon that's chosen to follow in his own footsteps: That everything between 1x06 to 3x08 has already happened before. He knows time isn't a linear event. During this track of time, its circular and eternal. That's why he goes through with it.

This was never inevitable because of destiny or fate. At least not fully. Their were other choices available to everyone. All change comes with some consequence and not all of it is good, the series has shown that often, but change can come. This was never supposed to be seen as inevitable because of fate. If the writers wanted us to believe that they wouldn't have made Peter and Simon the main spokespersons for it. They wouldn't have had Alisha speak out against it. Misfits has always be a show about personality, that's even reflected in how everyone's powers manifest. The moment Alisha wasn't there to hold him back from taking this path, Simon's choice was made. When Rachel killed Alisha she removed the one person that could hold Simon back and keep him happy in the here and now. The moment Superhoodie was revealed as being Simon this paradox was inevitable, not because of fate, because its all built around the quirks in his personality. Quirks established back in series 1, and redirected in a more heroic persona. That's why the entire thing is as fucked up, sweet, creepy and confusing as he was back then.

Simon has an orderly, analytical mind. Everything it's proper place. That was established way back in 1x05 when we saw how neat he kept his room. For a person that was always recording others, and playing back those moments, it's not hard to see why he'd see this as the solution to Alisha's death. This entire story is just Simon recording moments in time and putting it on loop. "A superhero has to be willing to die for what he believes in." "Am I going to die?" "I'm not going to let that happen." IMHO, in his heart he fully believes that he's not going to let her die, because by dying in their past he's keeping their relationship circling around for eternity. Along with all the triumphs and tragedies they faced together with their friends. "Everything has to happen exactly has it happened." "It's all coming together."

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I just don't think it'll work. I would have thought that after Skins it would be really obvious that this kind of show doesn't translate well.

I'm willing to give it a try. I mean for every Skins failure there's a Shameless success. I would have never thought Being Human would translate, but it appears to be doing well. US/UK remakes have been going on since All in the Family and earlier. The fact that they work at least 50% of the time pretty much guarantees that the networks will keep trying.

Honestly I'm more concerned with how badly LOGO is going to chop the the episodes when they start airing them.

Chysalis

Chysalis

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:44 AM

I just wanted to add my two cents to the finale of season three. The whole Alisha/ Simon time travel story. Even if the discussion may already been over.

My roomie and I are big fans of the show and we discussed at length the end. The way I see it. It think Alisha died the first time around. Something big happened and Simon realized (because he is the only one I would see going there) that Alisha needs to be saved. He probably fails a few times. A loop starts until he finally gets it right. He dies. Now!Simon walks a new path were he gets to be more his selfconfident personality and along the way Alisha and Simon fall in love. Then Alisha dies by the hand of Rachel (Bitch!) and Simon, being master of logic and conclusion goes back one or two minutes before the throat slashing. Which means he would meet himself. Since he was very adamant about that not happening (or at least Now!Simon) not knowing who he was maybe it was bad. I do think that where ever you are, you leave traces. How did Simon know the exact times? Probably because another time-loop Simon left them there. The Time-loop where we are now has at a Future!Simon before. I think he would have kept notes. And Now!Simon probably studied them again and again trying to prepare for what is to come.

To sum it up, while I do not think it was fate, I think right now it is the only outcome that could be. Until Now!Simon or Future!Simon start diverting from their path. And somehow I feel they have before. Should Misfits go on, longer then Season 4 I could even see Alisha und Simon returning. After all. All the other Time Travel Powers are still very much alive by the time Future!Simon bits the bullet. It could be a conclusion. But it could also be a set-up for something else. After all, it would not be the first time that Misfits came back to something that was supposed to be concluded (Rachel being a good example).

EDIT:

As for discussion re the lack of any logic whatsoever and writer laziness - I will add my two cents. To me this has always been a pretty simple show. A few kids got powers that did somehow reflect their inner state, their fears, confusions, insecurities etc. This is now gone and fucked up, thanks to absolutely unnecessary introduction of Seth to the show. Powers mean nothing, they are bought and sold, including the most rare and destructive ones. Nobody seems to be aware of it, everybody ignores them, the world is still ok. Was it nice, unusual and cute in the first season, where powers were character-centered and just seemed to be personal gifts/curses/mirrors of the soul? Yes, it definitely was. Is there any logic to it now, when they are transferable and have price tags on them? IMO there most definitely isn't.

While I am not that fond of Seth (I can take or leave him) I actually like this transition. Something that always bugs me is that people are supposed to find out. That may make sense if someone is a murderer but with magical superpowers? Unless you explicitly told or showed them why would people find out. Even if you see something unexplainable most people would either ignore it or find another logical explanation. And since most human beings usually don't believe in magic or superpowers it only makes sense to not have them go there.

But if a bunch of people got indeed new powers to deal with and it is every superpower there is (including caffeinating beverages) then somebody who can take and give superpowers make sense. Seth superpower is not the selling of superpowers. But that he can take them and give them by choice. Making a buck out of it is his choice. And it is a choice that makes sense. For me at least. I would most likely use it to make money (that may say bad things regarding my character but oh well).

It also ups the ante for our anti-heros. I like the thought that it jumbles things up. And while you now can buy and choose powers (from a range of available powers) they also reflect your personality. At least for our Misfits: Kelly was always regarding as a dumb chav. Now the is a fooking rocket scientist. Simon wants to be albe to protect and save. A foretelling power is mightly handy there. Alisha who has been kind of a bitch at first became a lot more empatic over the season, culminating in apologizing to Rudy. She can now literally see through other peoples eyes. Curtis... okay I have no explaination for that except that Curtis is a dumb-fuck at times.

Edited by Chysalis, Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:58 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Afterelton have an interview with Iwan Rheon and Nathan Stewart-Jarett hereas they're currently recapping the first series.

Warning: There's some big spoilers for Series 4, including the casting of the new characters.

lyssla

lyssla

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Late to the conversation as I only just started watching last week (and promptly marathoned the whole series over the weekend).

I'm quite apprehensive about season 4 as I think the chemistry between the original five actors was really what gave the show its special magic (the fantastic cinematography helps as well). I really missed Nathan in the last season and Rudy just didn't do it for me as a replacement -- I kept imagining how much better his lines would have been if they had been delivered by Robert Sheehan. I'm tempted to stop watching but doubt I will have the willpower to resist once season four is actually upon us.

Re time travel, it seemed to me that the power Simon got was different from Curtis's aside from being one-way. Curtis seemed to have the power to rewind time vs Simon's Terminator/HP style time-traveling. When Curtis arrived in the past there was only one Curtis; when Simon arrived in the past there were two Simons. Simon can't change his past actions and allow things to play out differently the way Curtis could. This may just be hand-waving but that's enough for me to explain why Simon's time-travelling is bound by the predestination paradox and creates a time loop rather than alternate timelines.

"I'm going to make a girl fall in love with me" had me in tears. We can nitpick the details but I loved those final scenes we had with Simon. A properly heroic sendoff for my favorite misfit.

I also loved the continuity of Simon wearing the orange hoodie at the end of the episode that we saw him wearing earlier in the series (and which is also worn, a bit provocatively, by Alisha in his lair in season two).

Albion19

Albion19

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I also loved the continuity of Simon wearing the orange hoodie at the end of the episode that we saw him wearing earlier in the series (and which is also worn, a bit provocatively, by Alisha in his lair in season two).

They messed up the continuity with orange Superhoodie. In 1x05 you see a video that Simon made of Orange Superhoodie on a BMX. Simon had unknowingly filmed himself. I got shivers when I rewatched it but Simon in s3 only travelled back to 1x06 so it makes the video weird in terms of continuity.

lyssla

lyssla

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

In 1x05 you see a video that Simon made of Orange Superhoodie on a BMX.

Do we know that that was Superhoodie versus an inspiration (and foreshadowing) for Simon? Simon's footage of the BMX rider shows him from multiple angles, in which most if not all shots Simon would be very visible to the rider. It looks like the rider is intentionally showing off for the camera, which doesn't make sense for a Future!Simon who was dedicated to hiding his identity from his past self. Arguably Past!Simon could have been invisible while filming, but it would still require a huge effort to be in the right place at the right time to get those shots without the cooperation of the rider.

...or you're right and it's another plot hole along the lines of the ASBO Five footage Alisha sees in Superhoodie's lair. Admittedly it makes little to no sense that a non-Superhoodie BMX rider would be masked (unless BMX riding on the estate constitutes some kind of crime?). Maybe Simon has a magical video camera. :)

On a (kind of) related note, I was re-watching 2x02 (the Nathan/Jamie episode) and squeed a little when Curtis flashes forward and we see a quick eye-scene of the gang hanging from meathooks from 2x04. Perhaps it's the fact that Misfits gets so many little details like that right that I'm so willing to forgive them when they stumble.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

He probably fails a few times. A loop starts until he finally gets it right. He dies. Now!Simon walks a new path were he gets to be more his selfconfident personality and along the way Alisha and Simon fall in love.

I think this was many people's original take on it, but the show doesn't imply this with the finale. It implies that everything that will happen to present Simon in the past (to be Future Simon) is how we see it. We don't see any of the alternative loops and that in itself could be a great ep except I guess they did that already with Curtis's power.

I was emotionally attached to the characters so I think the ending depressed me because it seemed almost too simple in how the writer set it up. He dies, she dies, he goes back in time, and repeat. I also wonder about the fact Simon had the interview from the alt-universe on his laptop; this seems to be a plot hole for me. Like others, it does annoy me that Simon from the future is only ahead by six months! Perhaps the writer hyped it up to be too much than it was, but this show does do shock and awe. But the ending didn't satisfy me even though logically, I know it could work in the world of time travel (I've seen enough sci-fi for that). It was also in character, Simon would just go back and do exactly as the predestination complex dictates. He is that melodramatic, self-sacrificing, and fatalistic.

I'm done with the show now since only Curtis is left and while I didn't mind Rudy as much as others, to have only 20% of the original cast left in 4 seasons, I feel a lot of what I like about the show is gone. Ahh well, I'll obviously still love the eps that I love and hope to see the actors in the future except I think LS's acting career is dead.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

The Misfits fandom is small so this is a blow since she is the critically acclaimed star of this show. She won a BAFTA!

To be honest I never felt that Lauren was all that talented. People sat up and took note because Kelly was such a unique characterand pretty different to what you usually see on tv, and many people were assuming that the actor was transforming herself completely which I think added a lot to the praise at first, and then when you first hear Lauren speak in real life (with all due respect...) it does kind of come across like she was just basically playing herself most of the time. She had an opportunity to show her range in series 3 during the bodyswap episode when she had a very different character to inhabit, but all I saw was her still playing Kelly and I remember being disappointed that she didn't change her accent even slightly to help sell her as that character

Don't get me wrong, Kelly's character was one of my favourites on the show and I thought that Lauren did a decent job with the part, but even without her arrest I'm not sure how far Lauren's acting career would have gone once Misfit was over as she always struck me as a pretty one-note actress who was lucky enough to land the perfect role

And I think that last series was the final one for me too. I could just about tolerate Nathan's absense and the addition of Ruby (although I will never get his appeal, I find him so gross and sleazy and I was done for him for good after the going down on a passed-out drunk female Curtis), but series 4 will have such a different feel with only Curtis left of the original cast that it doesn't appeal to me much

djsosonut

djsosonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I will never get his appeal, I find him so gross and sleazy and I was done for him for good after the going down on a passed-out drunk female Curtis

Rudy is gross and sleazy, which makes him a prefect addtion since the rest of the gang is pretty skeevy and morally bankrupt too. I don't see why him going down on Curtis is a breaking point.

1) He didn't drug her
2) He came over because he was concerned.
3) She grabbed and kissed him
4) She pushed his head down to her crotch
5) He doesn't even like giving head.

Personally I thought the fact that he gave her head even though he wasn't into that was oddly sweet and endearing. And makes him a bit of a doormat, which is my take on the internal problems of the character.

If the gender roles were reversed I doubt anyone would make a big deal about a girl that came to check up on a semi-conscious guy then had her head pushed down to the point where she reluctantly gave him head. Though maybe then they say he was raping her because people are a bit hypocritical when it comes to gender roles.

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I was emotionally attached to the characters so I think the ending depressed me because it seemed almost too simple in how the writer set it up. He dies, she dies, he goes back in time, and repeat.

That's what depressed me about it. That superhero episode (3.03 I think? The one with Peter who can draw whatever he wishes to happen) was so good--I loved how it completely blew apart the superhoodie myth from series 2. It really showed that the idea of becoming a superhero and going back to the past to manipulate events (and to manipulate Alisha and even his own past self) was pretty fucked up.

The ending of that episode also suggested that Simon couldn't escape being superhoodie because the superhero myth itself (whether created by Peter the comic book obsessive, or by Simon, or by Howard Overman) wouldn't let him. I thought it was all leading somewhere different than the time loop we knew. Some place where Simon is finally able to escape becoming this future self.

Simon and Alisha were my favorites, though (and Nathan, but he's gone) and I didn't want them to die at all. I don't know what series 4 is going to be like without them. Series three was bad enough without Nathan.

Edited by Blue Castle, Sep 16, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 5:09 AM

It was a breaking-point for me because we know that Curtis would have never given his consent, whether or not Ruby was the one to drug the female Curtis he still absolutely took advantage of someone who was unable to give informed consent and was barely conscious. In another episode Simon had to tell Ruby that it would be rape if he were to wake up an unconscious woman with sex, so I think the writers were fully aware of the implications of the scene with Curtis and intend for that to be a part of his character which was a deal-breaker for me. YMMV

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

To be honest I never felt that Lauren was all that talented. People sat up and took note because Kelly was such a unique characterand pretty different to what you usually see on tv, and many people were assuming that the actor was transforming herself completely which I think added a lot to the praise at first, and then when you first hear Lauren speak in real life (with all due respect...) it does kind of come across like she was just basically playing herself most of the time.

I agree a bit since when you see LS in interviews, she is very Kelly. At the same time, the BAFTA press was good for the show. I like that they did emphasize a character (or several characters) that wouldn't normally be portrayed because all of the cast are antiheroes forced into superhero stardom. Kelly was probably the most favoured of the female characters too. I think LS is a decent actor. I don't necessarily think she is that much better than the rest of the cast though. Also, the controversy hit the fandom hard given the fact we've lost so many original cast already and to lose her in such a way too.

Blue Castle, I'm with you about that episode and they did some great set up for the superhoodie arc and it kinda felt a bit flat to me by the end. I didn't want them to die either, but to have them do it that way seemed too quick and simple. Or it felt that way any way even though time travel logic dictates that it works.

lyssla

lyssla

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I never felt that Lauren was all that talented . . . when you first hear Lauren speak in real life (with all due respect...) it does kind of come across like she was just basically playing herself most of the time.

Agreed, except that while Kelly was the chav with a heart of gold, Socha is just a chav. Socha's bodyswap episode really did highlight her limited acting abilities. She wasn't another person, she was Kelly in different clothes. Compare this to Iwan Rheon's performance as the shapeshifter (not to mention his character growth throughout the series and shift to the mature, confident SuperHoodie). /Iwan Rheon fangirlling

If I were to choose a female actress from Misfits to honor it would absolutely be Kehinde Fadipe (Curtis's female alter ego). As Melissa, Fadipe really managed to invoke Curtis and made the gender swap completely believable when it could have easily turned into a farce.

djsosonut

djsosonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

It was a breaking-point for me because we know that Curtis would have never given his consent, whether or not Ruby was the one to drug the female Curtis he still absolutely took advantage of someone who was unable to give informed consent and was barely conscious.

Rudy wasn't the aggressor in their interaction. Not for the kiss or even for giving oral sex. It wasn't a yum-yum-gimme-sum situation. Taking advantage implies that you're getting something out of it, but he was down there between her legs because she pushed him there and not because he liked it.

Curtis: Haven't you ever heard the saying no means no?
Rudy: But you didn't say, "No" you said, "Suck my nipples." You were the one grabbing me and pushing my head down. And I don't even like doing that.

Rudy going through with it doesn't paint him in the best light, but how the situation unfolded keeps me from vilifying him.

In another episode Simon had to tell Ruby that it would be rape if he were to wake up an unconscious woman with sex, so I think the writers were fully aware of the implications of the scene with Curtis and intend for that to be a part of his character which was a deal-breaker for me.

Point. Even with his dick falling off if Rudy had gone through with that I would have lost a lot of respect for him. It would have been the abuse of someone for self-gain. It would have been rape.

Misfits takes is a warts-and-all path to it's characters. They're not bad kids, but they'd never be mistaken for shining examples of humanity. So, like Simon's stink finger in 1x05, the fact that Rudy wasn't able to get his 'sleepy fuck' is the reason I can look past it. The fact that they were both tempted makes them not saints, but for whatever reason they didn't do it. Plus, I like that Simon had grown enough to stop Rudy from doing something he was almost guilty of in his past.

If I were to choose a female actress from Misfits to honor it would absolutely be Kehinde Fadipe (Curtis's female alter ego). As Melissa, Fadipe really managed to invoke Curtis and made the gender swap completely believable when it could have easily turned into a farce.

Kehinde Fadipe was great. She was so natural at playing Curtis that I have to consciously think that it was another person playing the same character. She was just Curtis in a female body. I'm going to miss her in the fourth series.

Still. I don't think Antonia Thomas gets the credit she deserves as one of the best actresses on the show. She's so natural at playing a sexy bitch, that most people just assume she's playing herself. Though if you watch her in interviews she's nothing like her character in real life. I think she made Alisha a very nuanced character. IN lesser hands she would have been far more two-dimensional. Alisha's shift in the seconds series just highlighted sweetness and insecurity in her character that were always there because of Antonia's performance. Though I am biased/ I know most people fall in love with the show initially because of Nathan's humor, but for me it was Alisha. Antonia's delivery of this line had me laughing my ass off: "Maybe he's on crystal meth. My friend Chloe did it and she nearly shagged her brother.....and he's really ugly." There were so many things wrong with that statement I knew I'd love this show forever.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Kehinde Fadipe was great. She was so natural at playing Curtis that I have to consciously think that it was another person playing the same character. She was just Curtis in a female body. I'm going to miss her in the fourth series.

Still. I don't think Antonia Thomas gets the credit she deserves as one of the best actresses on the show.

Agree with both points. Kehinde was so wonderful. Needed more of her.

I really didn't fall in love with the show because of Nathan's humor. I liked the group dynamic a lot when he left though. I really like Antonia's Alisha. She and Simon's character both get some of the most character growth of the five. Simon the most, but Alisha changed from being the super bitch right down to her talk with Simon in 3x01 about how she isn't that person anymore. AT is the opposite of Alisha in real life so it's a great contrast.

I think the girls had a great relationship off the show. Lauren said once how much she adored Antonia and how it would be weird to introduce a third girl. I only wish there were more interactions and focus on them on the show. Nathan and Simon together had a well featured friendship / bromance.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Andrew Gower will be appearing in Series 4, details here

Loved him in Being Human, so can't wait to see him in this.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

The new trailer is here and I can't feel a thing. I'll probably still give it a try as I kinda liked Karla Crome in Hit & Miss.

Glitterkittens

Glitterkittens

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

It's interesting that so many people miss Nathan because by the time he left the show, I was really over his character. I thought he showed the least amount of growth over the seasons. In fact, after 102 he pretty much just stayed the same thing, and as funny as his lines were, he was a detestable character. That's why I like Rudy: the way Rudy interacts with everyone else, they genuinely like his stupid ass, whereas with Nathan it was like Stockholm Syndrome.

And yeah, I don't think of that scene with Curtis as rape at all, considering how wasted Rudy's supposed to be as well.

The one thing I can't feign excitement for is that no matter how hot Kelly's boyfriend is, his character is BORING and the least entertaining of the bunch, so having him step up as a central cast member in lieu of losing everyone else doesn't have much appeal.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

SFX have an interview with the actors playing Jess, Finn and Alex.

Some spoilers in it but it seems that Series 4 is coming back at the end of the month.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Robert Sheehan is in a BBC sitcom called "Me and Mrs Jones" acting as a love interest to an older woman. I didn't really find him attractive in Misfits because of Nathan's character, but he has been working out and is a more normal young man in this sitcom. It's not a great show though and I watched it by accident. He's also been cast as Simon Lewis in the Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie. I'm not a huge fan of the books, but Simon was one of my favourite characters when I read that so that's good exposure for him if the movie does well since he has a larger part in the sequels. Of the Misfits alumni, he has the best post-MS career so far. Iwan has been cast in "Game of Thrones" season three though.

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Iwan has been cast in "Game of Thrones" season three though.

Yeah, I think he's winning so far then, to be honest.

Anyway, just watched season 4 prem and I really liked it. Anything that gets Joe Gilgun on my tv is generally ok by me. I liked the new girl a lot, but the show needs even more girls, seriously.

What the fudge was that poor bloke's power?