Misfits: Skins With Superpowers (UK)

• Please log in to reply

952 replies to this topic

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 6:24 PM

I searched for a topic but nothing came up; apologies if I missed it.

First episode aired tonight, and it's a pretty decent start.

The only actor I 'd seen before is Robert Sheehan in Red Riding, who I didn't recognize at all. Am I the only one who thinks Iwan Rheon (the shy guy) looks scarily like a young Mathew Horne?

If you haven't seen it, the trailer's here.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

You beat me to it, though I was going to call it "Heroes with ASBOs" rather than "Skins with Superpowers."

As a way to start, I guess a murder is pretty punchy (well, technically two, as one was rewound) and it's pretty daring to have a cast where none of them are particularly appealing (except physically) - I'd certainly want to punch Nathan if he kept mouthing off all the time. Serves him right that he's the only one without powers (so far) though I did actually feel sorry for him when his mum kicked him out and I'm guessing he'll get a power before too long. And I'm really glad I don't have Alisha's power, which seems to be the ability to scream "Rape me!" really loud - talk about being Blessed with Suck. At least Kelly's mind reading, Curtis' "rewind" and Simon's invisibility are actually useful, some of the time at least.

I'll definitely be watching next week.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 10:44 PM

I liked it. And I was just realising the other day that I watch practically no British-made TV whatsoever any more, so that's a pretty decent achievement. It wasn't exactly earth-shattering, but it was fun, and entertaining, and didn't make me want to run to the remote and turn over for once.

I'll be back next week too.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 3:34 PM

I just caught this show on 4od. I enjoyed it quite a bit, mostly the comedy bits. It's looks so grey though. I thought we were the past the point where gritty TV shows had to be grey. Anyway, the characters all a bunch of horrible bastards with the possible exception of Time Guy, and I'm really hoping that they'll be fleshed out a bit more to make them sympathetic. Especially Invisible Boy and Rape Lass. And seriously, how can that possibly turn into a useful power? While I'm glad to see something that hasn't been around since the X-Men, I'm not sure they've thought that one through. And chances are The Amazing No-Powers Lad (could they please tell us these kids' names?) will turn out to have a power in the finale, the titles sequence seems to hint he's a werewolf.

I'll be watching next week, curious to see where they take this.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

Actually, Stacy X, who was in the X-Men for a very short while at the start of the decade, has pheromone powers similar to Rape Girl (do we actually find out her real name? The only one I can remember is Gary, the dead guy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacy_X

She was not a popular character.

seamo88

seamo88

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

I pretty much agree with everyone so far. I thought it was pretty good first episode as well. I like the premise and I think the cast seems solid. It did kind of veer into typical horror movie cliches sometimes (especially with the zombie guy in charge), but is still worked. I like how all the powers kind of fit the personalities to an extent: Curtis made one mistake and can now "rewind"; Simon is shy and used to being ignored and can now become invisible; Alisha is overtly sexual and now has the ability for others to want to rape her; Kelly is insecure, so can now read minds. Nathan is a useless twat so has no power.

I love all the characters except Nathan. He was so annoying. I just really wanted him to shut up in every scene he's in. He's not as charming and witty as he thinks. I also thought Simon looked like a younger Matthew Horne, which was already mentioned but I think this guy can actually act as someone other than himself. I think he's my favourite so far. I felt so sorry for him when he was being ignored all the time as well as Nathan being a complete asshole to him non-stop. But he does act seriously creepy like in the final scenes just hanging out with the group of hipsters, just because he could. I also really like the chav girl (Kelly?). Again I felt really sorry for her because she is just treated like shit (people clearly don't think much about her). Even her dog! Seriously, that scene was hilariously random. Also agreed about Alisha's power being the worst.power.ever. I hope they start showing that she's not completely shallow as well as the series progresses but I found her way more fun than Nathan. I liked Curtis too and he obviously has the most useful power. I did think that they were going to have him gay, but after he touched Alisha I'm not so sure.

I'm also looking forward to seeing this series unfold, so I'll tune in next week as well.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 7:30 PM

rdb, I'd have had no idea about any of their names if I hadn't checked the Channel 4 website (Misfits) first, but I'm terrible with names anyway.

I'd completely forgotten the scene where the dog licks Kelly's face, though he seemed a little too coherent (I'd always imagined a dog's thoughts going "Food! Food! Food! Sex! Sex! Look at me!", but maybe that's just me). Also, the scene where Alisha fellated that water bottle had the hilarious reaction shot where the guys all - shift uncomfortably in their seats (and probably adjust their underwear).

Yayoi Jomon

Yayoi Jomon

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

I really enjoyed the first episode. I like the diversity of the cast, and I agree that most of the cast isnt conventionally likeable but I personally like that. It makes things more interesting, and allows the writers to win us over slowly with the characters. The bits where the kids are shocked by lightening was really cheesy though, and the dark lighting and coloring in the show bothers me a bit. But those are really my only complaints so far. I dont hate the bratty irish kid, even though he's really obnoxious and needs a slap. In fact I kept hoping Curtis would slap the shit out of him when Nathan started mocking him for that arrest. But I'd be lying if I said I never cracked up at anything he said. I really like Curtis and Kelly, I think both of them are actually pretty decent people. Alisha seems rather vapid but she's just a typical teen girl, hopefully we'll get to see her transcend that stereotype in the course of the series. But holy crap is her power horrible. What were the writers thinking?
I think the only person who really bothers me so far is creepy quiet Simon. I dont know something about that kid just screams "potential rapist" that I find it a little hard to warm to him. and I dont mind dorky or socially awkward characters really, but that kid has a seriously sketch vibe.

seamo88

seamo88

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2009 @ 6:27 PM

I thought the second episode was a bit of a letdown. I didn't like that it was a very Nathan heavy episode because the other characters are more interesting to me. Although I know I should accept and get used to this since he is obviously the lead. I just don't care about his mother issues, homelessness, etc. Everything he does kind of annoys me. That's not to say, I don't desperately want to give him a sandwich for fear he will disappear into thin air! There were some pretty funny moments that I did enjoy, like the foreplay going up the stair lift and Nathan's orgasm face amidst the rest of the gratuitous nudity and drug taking scenes to show how EDGY the show is. And I know I'm contradicting myself with regards to the former because the nudity lent itself to the comedy that I liked but i thought those scenes went on for longer than necessary, IMO. One more thing I did like about the episode was that it was explained that others were affected by the storm like Ruth and "the man that lives with Nathan's mother". And I liked setting up a common antagonist in the female parole officer for the group although I was thinking it would be a good twist if it was revealed to be Simon sending the notes because he's creepy enough to pull it off.

Edited by seamo88, Nov 19, 2009 @ 6:30 PM.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

Did anyone else wonder if Nathan's superpower (assuming he has one, which I do) has something to do with the lights that seemed to come on when he came (though if that's how his powers activate, they'll be of strictly limited use). Of course, he was probably more preoccupied with the fact that he just screwed an octagenarian (I did love it when he said "I just fucked a grandmother!" "I don't have any grandchildren." "Oh well, that's alright then!") At least he showed some glimmers of sympathy when dealing with his mum/stepdad and his (now dead) girlfriend at the end.

Alisha - take a lesson from Rogue and invest in a pair of long gloves. Although it looks as if you're going to use your power to seduce/rape Curtis next week.

AStarling

AStarling

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 6:48 AM

I like this series. I like Nathan. (He's quite cute as well) The doggy stepfather storyline was a bit 'meh.' Played for 'laughs' more than anything else. I don't really care much about Nathan's homelife. Although nice twist having the octagenarian be the real Feak of the Week and not the stepdad. I do think all the SWEARING!NUDITY!DRUGS! is Skins-ish in its lets-try-to-be-edgy-so-the-kidz-dig-it way, but the show is quirky enough fo me to enjoy it anyway. It's pretty damn funny. And I don't think Nathan is the lead, as on another forum someone posted a list of episode names - this week was Nathan, next week Alisha. And I was thinking last night, what if Alisha's dad brushes past her at home, or taps her on the shoulder... that kinda shit would mess you up for life. EW. I hope she has fun with her lamest superpower.

In other news, Simon's getting creepier by the episode. Kelly's still my favourite parole officer killing, chavtastic Vicky Pollard-alike. Alisha is still one-note, and Curtis is still... there.

ETA: What are they going to do with Simon? There's a difference between automatically being stereotyped as the loner/freak and coming across like a potential rapist or kiddy fiddler. He seems like he's wandered over from some ITV police drama.

Edited by AStarling, Nov 20, 2009 @ 7:08 AM.

MartinKSmith

MartinKSmith

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 7:21 AM

seamo88 said:

I thought the second episode was a bit of a letdown. I didn't like that it was a very Nathan heavy episode because the other characters are more interesting to me. Although I know I should accept and get used to this since he is obviously the lead.

AStarling already beat me to it, but I felt I should say it anyway. You could argue that in the first two series of Skins, Tony was the 'lead', but everyone got their own episode, focused on their own lives, families, etc with the first and usually last episodes of each series being about the whole group. As AStarling said, the episode titles for this series seem to indicate that it's going to be doing the same.

As far as the latest episode goes, I liked it. I liked that Nathan showed some heart toward the end, going back to his mum, making peace with her and attempting to do the same with the old woman, only to have it be too late.

I like the possibilities of having the other Parole officer set up as the one leaving the notes and stuff, but I do wonder just how much she knows.

BrandyAlexander

BrandyAlexander

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

I think the show is a lot more interesting than I thought it was going to be. I really liked how they dealt with the parole officer. Instead of using superpowers one of them kicked him to death. Then realising nobody would ever believe them they got rid of the body. On normal superhero shows that kind of thing is never really dealt with.

I'm not a Nathan fan. I just think he overacts things. He needs to take it down a notch. I'm interested to see what his power is. That other girl (Still don't know half their names, do they ever say them) has the worst power ever.

mekellie101

mekellie101

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

Happy a thread is up for this. Really like it so far, its like skins/the inbetweeners which to me is a pretty good combination. Its alot of fun to watch.

Have to agree Alisha has the worst power ever, enough said.I like Nathan, yes he's a bit over the top and could tone it down at times but i thinks he's funny and kind of cute. Simon's really wierd and creepy but he's intriguing and i want to know where they're going to go with his chatacter plus he's nice and i feel a bit sorry for him. Everyone else is okay.

Thought 2nd episode was good. Wonder how long we'll have to wait before they reveal Nathan's power, he definitely has one. Didn't think other people were affected by the storm so that was a nice surprise, just imagine the amount of weird stuff the writers are going to come up with now. Cool.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

And I was thinking last night, what if Alisha's dad brushes past her at home, or taps her on the shoulder... that kinda shit would mess you up for life. EW. I hope she has fun with her lamest superpower.

I'm frankly astonished that they haven't had her touch or be touched by a female yet, to go for the ooh-look-hot-shocking-lesbian-action! angle. Maybe that'll be part of next week's episode.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

I'm frankly astonished that they haven't had her touch or be touched by a female yet, to go for the ooh-look-hot-shocking-lesbian-action! angle.

Well, for me it rather seems like they've gone out of their way to have her NOT touch a woman. It seemed unlikely for someone that social and shown in so many group settings not to even accidentally touch another girl. I suppose one could chalk it up to the haphazard nature of her ability, but even that aspect has been sort of confusingly depicted.

Regardless, Alisha's power is nasty and gross. One can only hope that her arc involves her refining it so that she learns to induce a spectrum of emotions.

I don't think Nathan is the lead, as on another forum someone posted a list of episode names: This week was Nathan, next week Alisha.

Hmm, that's encouraging. I find Nathan tolerable only in limited doses. The amount of Nathan relative to every other person over the first two episodes -- and even the first ep -- makes this show closer to Heroes with its faux-ensemble format than Skins.

Anyway, overall, not bad. I'm intrigued enough to disregard the Nathan-overloaded second ep and check it out again next week.

Edited by DEM, Nov 22, 2009 @ 3:46 PM.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2009 @ 4:55 AM

I'm wondering if maybe Alisha's power works a little differently on females. Perhaps instead of desiring her they turn on her and want to hurt her? Kinda like Charma from the old Legion of Super-Heroes comics.

Digging this show. And I like Nathan.

AStarling

AStarling

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2009 @ 6:56 AM

I'm still liking this show, and Kelly is still my favourite. Nathan makes me laugh, with his Bono impression, the car window smash and his general bad/snarky attitude. I still am totally not interested in Alisha after 'her' ep. It gave us no real insight except that she 'knows' she's screwed up. But no background as to why she is the way she is. And now she's with Curtis her power is more useless than ever. Yawn. I wonder why Kelly doesn't use her power more, and why is it always Nathan's thoughts she reads? I'd love to know what's going on in Simon's twisted little head. And totally knew that prob officer was gonna be shygirl18. And the alopecia thing seems a bit of a cop out having it only last 2 days. Those kids are pretty fucking cruel as if I saw a bald girl my first reaction would be 'shit, cancer victim' not 'bald alien.'

Edited by AStarling, Nov 27, 2009 @ 6:59 AM.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2009 @ 8:04 AM

After this episode, I definitely see Simon turning into a supervillain - he's comes up with the plans and yet nobody likes him. At least Kelly came up with an excuse why she couldn't go for a drink with him. And I was weirded out by the whole "Your hair grows back in a couple of days" - was she saying that your hair supergrows back so you have your original hair back or did she mean it grows back over time (from bald)? Loved Nathan trying to blow up the bottle with his mind, though he did look like he was constipated (I think one of the others said as much) and throwing the rock at the Probation Officer's windscreen was pretty quick thinking (if perhaps not the best thing he could have done).

Richyyy I'm frankly astonished that they haven't had her touch or be touched by a female yet, to go for the ooh-look-hot-shocking-lesbian-action! angle.

I'm pretty sure that when she was wondering through the nightclub, she brushed a few women and they reacted the same as the men (though that may have been a fantasy sequence, as the men's reactions weren't as violent as we normally see).

AStarling Those kids are pretty fucking cruel as if I saw a bald girl my first reaction would be 'shit, cancer victim' not 'bald alien.'

Well, they are young offenders!

seamo88

seamo88

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2009 @ 9:34 AM

Thanks for pointing out that the episodes are character focused like Skins last week. I only ever tuned into Skins three times - the first episode of the first series because it was buzzed about, the first episode of the third series because my friends recommended it and it apparently had new characters and the last episode of the third series because I was forced to sit through during a drinking session before going out. I thought they were all shit. The brilliant Inbetweeners was the only youth orientated home-grown E4 programming I watched before this.

I thought that last night's episode was pretty good. Even though it was Alisha's episode there were lots of group scenes, which I enjoyed. I agree that it still didn't give us that much insight into her life outside the group except that she goes out a lot and now realises that being desired all the time isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Nathan annoyed me less last night because he wasn't in it as much and the Bono impression (which I didn't get until it was explained) and throwing the brick at the windscreen was funny. But Kelly also remains to be my favourite. I like that she and the girl that she attacked sorted out their differences in the end. Simon is still the most interesting. I like the super-villain idea. He seems to really enjoy coming up with ideas to keep himself and the group getting away with murder. Curtis' power proves to be the best one again last night after he prevented them getting caught. I'm looking forward to his episode next week where he changes the future judging by the previews.

Edited by seamo88, Nov 27, 2009 @ 9:36 AM.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 2:36 AM

Quite enjoyed that episode. Loved Nathan throwing the brick at the Prob Girl's window, totally called Prob Girl as shygirl18 and fully expect Simon to go batshit crazy by the end of the series. Next week's episode looks really good. Time travel shenanigans are always fun.

the first episode of the first series because it was buzzed about, the first episode of the third series because my friends recommended it and it apparently had new characters and the last episode of the third series because I was forced to sit through during a drinking session before going out. I thought they were all shit.

Those are by far the worst three episodes of the entire series. The rest of it is tons better.

AStarling

AStarling

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 6:39 AM

Those are by far the worst three episodes of the entire series. The rest of it is tons better.

I was going to say that too. Although I watch Skins, I don't particularly rate it anyway. I suppose it's better than most of its American counterparts (One Tree Hill) but I almost got eye strain rolling my eyes that frequently at the television.

ETA: I like the Supervillain idea too. This series needs a Big Bad. This Sally girl is definitely not compelling enough to qualify.

Edited by AStarling, Nov 28, 2009 @ 6:42 AM.

seamo88

seamo88

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 6:37 PM

Ha. That is just my luck! I am usually better at sticking with shows, though. It's probably for the best for others if I don't watch any of the new series as I am clearly a jinx for Skins. I'd still prefer that as a super-power over Alisha's, crappy and all as it is.

As for Misfits, I really enjoyed tonight's episode. I loved how the main characters were all at the same party on the night Curtis kept rewinding to. I really like Curtis a lot more after this episode, since he was so selfless giving up on his Olympic dreams so that Alisha, Simon and Kelly don't die (because of Tony, which is interesting). Also interesting, is that Nathan lived. Maybe he is the Claire Bennett of the group who is invincible? And how Curtis does fix things so his girlfriend doesn't go to jail in the end.

Nathan is continuing to grow on me after I despised him so much in the first two episodes. He was still a complete knob to Beverley and Curtis in the car park, but I did find him hilarious running through the bowling alley after stealing the pick 'n' mix. I thought Kelly's part in the episode was a "drink aware" ad but I found it interesting that her engagement ring was intended for Sally. Also interesting was Simon contemplating raping her when she was out of it. He's living up to his creepiness and moreso again judging by the previews (which I think is his episode). I still felt sorry for him when his "friend" dismissed him in the club. That was harsh.

Edited by seamo88, Dec 3, 2009 @ 6:58 PM.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 6:49 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed that episode a lot. Though I could have done without the turning to the camera for the "Shit" line at the end, as it just seemed corny.

seamo88, if you're going to watch Skins you're far better off watching it on 4oD than on DVD. The DVDs have all the music changed, and it really doesn't work as well.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 8:03 AM

It does seem as if Curtis is the truly heroic one of the bunch - he could have chosen a life where he was a hero (and his fellow Misfits were mostly dead), but he chose to protect his "friends," even at the cost of his dreams. At least he kept his (ex-)girlfriend out of prison.

As for the others - Nathan, if anything was even more of a prick before his ASBO and it looks like it's all going to hell for Simon now that his Probation Officer has discoverd he had her dead fiance's credit card (I hear the Dark Side calling - particularly after his creepy potential rapist moment toward Kelly in his Flashback).

Sangoire

Sangoire

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:28 AM

I worked out what Nathan's power is! Speculation, of course, but it makes sense: He has the power to make his lies come true. That's why his shadow is a wolf in the opening credits, he "cries wolf" constantly and then his lies come to pass. Consider the second episode, when he meets young Ruth:

[the following is paraphrased]
Ruth: So what did you do?
Nathan: I sexually assaulted a ninety year old woman.
Ruth: ...That's really funny.
Nathan: She didn't think so at the time......God rest her soul.

And what happens? He fucks an eighty-three year old woman, she didn't find it funny (too busy coming her brains out) and then she dies. God rest her soul.

Ta-da?

Edited by Sangoire, Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:30 AM.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

I thought his shadow was a wolf because of the werewolf stepfather guy who was sort of following him around for those episodes. I'd like it if he were invincible... it'd make sense that he'd never really figure out what his power is until he survived a traumatic situation like Curtis saw.

This was a great ep.

AStarling

AStarling

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

I wouldn't like Nathan to end up getting the "best" power though (although turning back time is pretty awesome) just because he's been such a smug git. He does not need that kind of reward. I'm all for an anti climactic alopecia-type power. I really am struggling to think what his power might be. Maybe invinsibilty - but he can still feel pain. I'm sure when it's revealed we'll all to back to the pilot and be like 'oh yeaaaaaaah. Of COURSE.' Like Spy Idol I'm DEFINITELY convinced the wolf in the credits relates to the stepdad.

So Nathan really did steal some pick and mix, who knew? And Simon really IS a potential rapist. Definitely some rape-y untertones with that scene with Kelly. I'm a bit unconvinced they'd ALL be in the same club as I'd have bet they all have different music tastes. And they went there early enough that Nathan could pop back to the bowling alley before it shut. And it was all above a convenient garage. Kelly was your typical drunken slapper (soz Kels) but everything else rang false. Down to the plastic cups. Or maybe you guys do things different down south. But given Curtis is probably the most uninteresting character for me, this was the best episode yet. All the better for the little glimpses into seeing how their power is reflected in their personality - Alisha flirting, prob officer already having an anger issue, Simon wanting to disappear into the floor....

crazymadness

crazymadness

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 11:52 PM

My personal theory is that Nathan's power is that he can't die. He can still get horribly injured, but he'll always stay alive. I thought it was rapid healing except he had the massive cut in the alternate timeline. Either way they are powers that would take a while to figure out you had.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 12:31 AM

If Britain ever wants to make it's own Dexter series - Iwan Rheon is right there.

Thanks for pointing out that the episodes are character focused like Skins last week. I only ever tuned into Skins three times - the first episode of the first series because it was buzzed about, the first episode of the third series because my friends recommended it and it apparently had new characters and the last episode of the third series because I was forced to sit through during a drinking session before going out. I thought they were all shit.

Me too. And I watched the entire third series. Pure shit.
They even managed to ruin Effy who I thought was an interesting character. Special big thanks goes for turning a drama based on character development into a drama based on love triangles. Because that's just so cool and fresh and we haven't seen that a million times already.

Loved the first two series though. They were completely different and delivered tons of win.