Brittany S. Pierce (Bitch.)

• Please log in to reply

1795 replies to this topic

Iris de Balme

Iris de Balme

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

... I thought her performance was great fun and combined with the dance routine spoke to the essence of her character.

This. Apart from loving everything Heather does, I also think that often the less accomplished vocalists have authenticity - wouldn't a tribute to Whitney from a mid-Western high school glee club sound just like that in a way say Mercedes' phenomenal park and belt style might not? I also enjoyed the Quinn/Joe and Blaine contributions, too for that reason.

As I mostly stopped worrying about plot holes, OOC transplants and the like a long time ago, I've loved the performance and spectacle-heavy vibe of the last two episodes, and even my pet series 3 hate of why Britt and Santana are stuck in cheerleader uniforms when the Cheerios seem largely to have moved off centre stage to the periphery, disappears with that sassy routine. More please!

Brittanyblonde

Brittanyblonde

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

She did a great job. Obviously she cannot sing as well as Whitney, but Whitney hadn't put a lot of vocal effort on this song as she usually did, so i don't see why her version has to be better than heather(even though the first one is the original)

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

She did a great job. Obviously she cannot sing as well as Whitney, but Whitney hadn't put a lot of vocal effort on this song as she usually did, so i don't see why her version has to be better than heather(even though the first one is the original)

To add to this, it seemed like the Glee version was heavily inspired by club remixes so often done of 'diva' songs. So it made sense for it to be more autotuned, with heavy beats and less conventional "Whitney."

TrickQuestion

TrickQuestion

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Yet another episode passes without mention of Brittany's status or her future. And Puck gets the big graduation storyline, complete with all the "bros" rallying around him. To be added to Finn taking her place in IKAG and her insecurities and the president election turning into a prop for Kurt as storylines that got hijacked from Brittany. I'm so glad they finally remembered Brittany was Senior Class President only to frame it as more incompetence from her and a third mention of implied rape jokes via alien invasions. Bravo, writers. And to top it off, the end of the episode has Brittany literally swaying silently on the side. Wow.

To think this time last year, we were getting the multi-faceted Brittany of Rumours.

Iris de Balme

Iris de Balme

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I'm wondering if Britt's preoccupation with aliens is, like adultery and lesbian, part of her homophonic confusion.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Yet another episode passes without mention of Brittany's status or her future. And Puck gets the big graduation storyline, complete with all the "bros" rallying around him. To be added to Finn taking her place in IKAG and her insecurities and the president election turning into a prop for Kurt as storylines that got hijacked from Brittany. I'm so glad they finally remembered Brittany was Senior Class President only to frame it as more incompetence from her and a third mention of implied rape jokes via alien invasions. Bravo, writers. And to top it off, the end of the episode has Brittany literally swaying silently on the side. Wow.

To think this time last year, we were getting the multi-faceted Brittany of Rumours.

[snip]
I wish these writers would realize that Brittany can still be funny without actually treating her like a walking joke.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 6, 2012 @ 10:24 PM.
No spoilers outside of the spoiler thread, please

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

But isn't a walking joke what Brittany was initially before the character got really popular and then the Brittana ship took off? I think the writers probably believe that if Brittany doesn't graduate they won't have to give an explanation because the audience will just naturally assume that she didn't pass her necessary classes which would not be that much of a stretch.

This is one of the reasons Brittany as a character has become somewhat of mess imo (and frankly I kind of can't stand her myself)...the writers on the one hand want to keep the thing that initially made the character funny and a scene-stealer while at the same time trying to tell us that she actually is mentally grown enough to have an actual relationship and anyone who ever calls her stupid or insinuates anything about her intelligence is one big old meanie and a bully.

So we're supposed to accept that she really believed Rory was some leprechaun, thinks Joe is a girl, thought Blaine was talking about a Cheetah when he dedicated his song to anyone who'd been cheated on, was completely unaware she actually had to you know do stuff as Class President, believed she wasn't cheating on Artie with Santana because Santana was a girl and that it was perfectly okay to release a sex tape of her and Santana because it was to show Santana the error of her ways.

Brittany is never wrong or hurtful because she's supposedly too childlike and innocent and special to be but insinuate she's a bit slower than the average person and then you're an awful person. And for me, it's like the writers can't have it both ways.

Girl's either dumber than dirt, which personally for me would make her not graduating probably the most sensible thing this show's done in a long time or she's either quite smart and very aware which would mean that she's done and said some pretty downright awful things to people with no repercussions or judgments for it. In some ways that's why I think she and Santana are perfect for each other...neither one is a particularly nice person imo. Santana just wears her ugliness proudly on display.

Edited by lleykian54, May 6, 2012 @ 9:10 PM.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I don't even know where to begin addressing the inconsistencies you bring up. You certainly aren't wrong, but Brittany is far from being alone in that. Not one character on this show is consistent. That leaves the fans picking and choosing what aspects of the characters they want to accept and so many varying interpretations of the same character. Brittany might have started as a joke character, but they gave her some depth and character development towards the end of season 2. For whatever reason, they've tried to take it all back, but you can't just drop it and expect fans to not care.

Brittany graduating is a matter of principle, as far as I'm concerned. If she doesn't graduate, it's representative of all of Glee's problems: its inconsistency, its poor storytelling, its lack of logic, and its outright sexism and misogyny.

If Brittany were in danger of failing, she would be facing academic ineligibility (something that exists in the Glee universe). She would not be able to participate in glee club or in the Cheerios, she would not be able to be senior class president, and she would not be able to attend senior prom, let alone plan it.

Brittany also hasn't been shown to be any stupider than the likes of Finn and Puck, but they're both graduating. Finn canonically cheats off of Brittany, nods along to the dumb things she says, and often acts too dumb to live. I would argue that Brittany's belief in magic shouldn't be used as an example of her being dumb, but if it is dumb, how is something like praying to a grilled cheese sandwich any different than a belief in magical creatures? And Puck, who is not bright, gets a storyline about struggling to graduate with his buddies coming to his aid and still failing the test he needs to graduate, but he'll be graduating. Meanwhile, dumb blonde Brittany fails without a storyline and without anyone bothering to lend a hand, not even her teachers (who also go out of their way to insult her intelligence). If there was just a storyline, it wouldn't be so bad, but failing Brittany with nothing more than a throwaway line while two equally dumb male characters pass is insulting.

Failing her simply doesn't work on any level, not with this complete lack of build up.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Brittany might have started as a joke character, but they gave her some depth and character development towards the end of season 2. For whatever reason, they've tried to take it all back, but you can't just drop it and expect fans to not care.

But see, I guess this is where we disagree, because I don't see it as them trying to take it all back but rather, like I said, them trying to have the best of both worlds and that's been the major issue, imo, with the character.

Yes, Finn has had elements of the dumb jock and the writers used him for some cheap jokes but very early in S1 the writers made it clear in many different ways that Finn is really just mostly clueless but he is not stupid. Similarly, I don't think Puck's ever been demonstrated as being dumb but rather as a "bad-boy who thought he was too cool for school" and the last episode showed the culmination of that attitude.

However, with Brittany, the writers have always wanted to straddle the line of keeping her as the scene-stealing character she initially was, which let's face it, was basically built entirely on her being seen as practically brain dead. Then at the same time, they want to sell her as really the wiser than all the supposedly intellectually smart people because she sees the world in this idyllic way. It's supposed to be all Forrest Gump I guess.

Unfortunately, because they want to keep straddling that line, there are many for whom, Brittany is still most a walking joke. Obviously you don't see it that way and I'm sure many others agree but truthfully, I'm sure for a lot of the casual viewers (not referring to the fans who frequent message boards and stuff but instead just watch the show on Tuesday and that's it), Brittany is just that girl who talks about leprechauns and apparently still thinks Santa Claus exists and so if she doesn't graduate, the reaction will probably be, "well duh".

And like I said, personally for me, the writers straddling that line with the character is one of the reasons I've grown to dislike her because I feel like Brittany gets away with a lot of crappy shit because she's treated as some special snowflake. Don't tell Brittany she's acting stupid Finn because then you're a big massive bully (and I can't stand Finn btw) but let's all accept that she believes Rory is a leprechaun and it's all so adorable.

Personally I would be thrilled if the writers just went with a complete turn around and said Brittany's been manipulating people all this time with her dumb act. I'd accept that rather than this uneven characters they've been trying to sell.

She can't be held accountable for anything bad and thoughtless she does because it's Brittany and she either was unaware what she was doing or was being manipulated by Santana. However, don't say she's acting stupid or acting dumb because then that's hateful speech and then you're being a bully and awful and it's Glee's very special lesson of the week. Also, meanwhile she can casually
Spoiler

Edited by lleykian54, May 6, 2012 @ 10:56 PM.

TrickQuestion

TrickQuestion

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Brittany graduating is a matter of principle, as far as I'm concerned. If she doesn't graduate, it's representative of all of Glee's problems: its inconsistency, its poor storytelling, its lack of logic, and its outright sexism and misogyny.

Completely agree. All of the characters have been written inconsistently and all of the characters have done/said unlikable things, but they've still been given the courtesy of story arcs exploring who they are and where they're going. So why wouldn't Brittany deserve the same? For a show that loves to pride itself on struggling people overcoming obstacles and insecurities, why should Brittany be left out? They set up an arc in I Am Unicorn about Brittany's fears and have referenced her sensitivity about her intelligence so many times, yet she's not been afforded the same closure as everyone else.

Despite the jabs, she has all the hallmarks of passing to this point, given her eligibility for school-affiliated activities, being in classes with fellow graduating seniors (not on a remedial track) and that she's made it all the way to senior year without problem - including her junior year when she was off Cheerios, so Sue couldn't have been fixing her grades. So to fail her now at the last moment would certainly be a glaring move, particularly since they can expend entire arcs about Puck trying to graduate and whatnot.

Not only would it be a slap in the face for Brittany, but the way they'd be going about it would reflect poorly on so many other characters - Will, the educator and role model who has been running after Finn and everyone else to make sure their futures are set, spends zero effort on someone he knows to be questionable, given his repeated digs at her; the other girls who are apparently too wrapped up in their own lives to help a friend the way the "bros" did for Puck; and Santana, whose girlfriend set about obtaining scholarships and whatnot for her, apparently can't be bothered to help in return.

Where is the humor in having her sidelined all season, only to watch her friends - and girlfriend - move on without her? If they needed her so badly in the choir room next season (yet they couldn't find a way to incorporate her *this* season), why not make her a junior from the start? What purpose would any of this serve?

Edited by TrickQuestion, May 7, 2012 @ 4:23 PM.

yellowpride

yellowpride

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

However, with Brittany, the writers have always wanted to straddle the line of keeping her as the scene-stealing character she initially was, which let's face it, was basically built entirely on her being seen as practically brain dead. Then at the same time, they want to sell her as really the wiser than all the supposedly intellectually smart people because she sees the world in this idyllic way. It's supposed to be all Forrest Gump I guess.

I actually wouldn't mind her being Forrest Gump-esque if they could at least be consistent about it. Every once in a while, they write her in a way that just works. I actually think most of the stuff they gave her towards the end of last season worked really well, and I'd probably call "I Am Unicorn" one of her best episodes of the series. None of those episodes portray her as necessarily being smart, not even in a street savvy kind of way, but they do show her as someone who is at least moderately self-aware about her intellect and who is kind of stupidly unafraid of being open with people. It made her pretty much the perfect counter-point to Santana, who was constantly thinking of how she could work situations to her advantage and constantly projecting the image she wanted people to see, just to hide who she really was. That's the version of Brittany that I could see pulling off a line like "I'm not smart, but I know what love is." Unfortunately, that's not the Brittany we've been getting all season.

As far as the possibility of Brittany not graduating, I think the bigger problem is the narrative of it, rather than the canonical feasibility. I mean, obviously, if this were a real or even realistic high school, she'd have to have at least passing grades to be academically eligible for the activities that she's involved in, but I don't think her not graduating would even make the list of the least realistic things that have happened on Glee. I think the bigger problem is what narrative purpose they're expecting it to serve. I'm hoping they're not planning on playing it for laughs, because that would be pretty gross. At the same time, if they're hoping to make it a dramatic moment, it would have more impact if there was some kind of lead-in to it, which there hasn't been. Either way, though, this is basically a story about a girl who gets written off as stupid by almost everyone in her life, who almost no one takes seriously, and who tries to say that they're wrong about her. If it ends with them all being proven right, because she couldn't graduate, that makes it kind of a lame story.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Brittany graduating is a sticking point for me. I can't explain why this of all things is thing that will finally push me over, but for whatever reason, it's the final nail in the coffin for me with this show. We've gone over why it's ridiculous and pointless on so many levels, but it's just come to represent all of Glee's problems rolled up into one neat little package for me. And I think the prom episode has continued those problems.

In general, I think I would have really enjoyed it because it felt like a real Glee episode (as it should with Ryan writing it). I even liked some storylines and character interactions, though I wasn't entirely big on the setup. And, yes, the Brittana we got was adorable. And, sure, it was awesome to finally see Brittany speak again and actually interact with people and to see her at her snarky best. But knowing what very well may be coming for Brittany, I'm more sensitive about how they're addressing it (or rather not addressing it), and that just makes me annoyed more than anything else. This was an episode that was fairly focused on Brittany, but they didn't take the opportunity to tell this story.

I was not amused that the writers decided to hide their screw ups at Brittany’s expense by having her forget she was president and having her get meta about her silence. They screwed up by ignoring that she was president and by keeping her nearly mute for more than half the season, but they try to brush it off as stupid, silly Brittany. I think there was a much better way to handle it.

Then we get the Figgins scene where Brittany is supposedly flunking all her classes. They’ve hinted at that before, so I have no real objections to that beyond the general “why isn’t she academically ineligible then?” But they’re talking about her grades in terms of getting into college, NOT graduating high school. Here was the place for Figgins to raise concerns about her graduating, but he doesn’t do that at all. Her bad grades are another joke, unlike Puck's bad grades, which warrant a storyline and probable character growth. But apparently the writers would rather tell a story about Blaine's hair gel over Brittany's school troubles.

And to get into the Brittana of it all? We get conversations between Finchel and Klaine, obviously. But we also get conversations between every other couple in the show BUT Brittana: Samcedes and Tike and Quinn/Dreads (I hope now that Quinn's legs are working she runs as far away as possible). We even get Faberry, of all things. And Tike gets a set up for some kind of storyline in the next episode. Meanwhile, Brittany is probably not going to graduate, and Brittana are not talking about it, or anything else for that matter.

Oh, Glee.

Edited to add: If they don't want to spend time on Brittany and her future, couldn't they have at least taken a moment to acknowledge that Brittana were running for PK/PQ together as a couple at a school that voted in a gay kid as PQ as a joke? No? Okay.

Edited by Kokoro, May 8, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

chilindrina

chilindrina

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I was not amused that the writers decided to hide their screw ups at Brittany’s expense by having her forget she was president and having her get meta about her silence. They screwed up by ignoring that she was president and by keeping her nearly mute for more than half the season, but they try to brush it off as stupid, silly Brittany. I think there was a much better way to handle it.

I hated this so much! It's like they suddenly remembered she was on the show and to cover it up they just blamed it all on Brittany.

And she's failing? Really? Fourth to last episode of the season and only now do they mention that? Where the hell was her storyline about failing like the one Puck got? I swear if she ends up not graduating I'm gonna bitch slap someone. The writers really messed up with Brittany this season. It's such a shame because late S2 Britt was awesome. What the hell happened?

And to get into the Brittana of it all?

Noticed that too. All the couples got a one-one scene (even the extras!) but not Brittana. I love Brittany got a lot of individual stuff to do but to not have at least 1 convo between Brittana at prom was a huge disappointment.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Well the writers had to fit in their Faberry moments so they didn't have time for the actual lesbian relationship. Again only Glee would have Rachel declare her love for Quinn, but no Brittana scenes. Such a trainwreck.

Balderdash

Balderdash

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Grrr!!!! Angry at the character assassination of Brittany and the total neglect of her by the teaching staff. Lazy writers are lazy. So they think it is fun to poke fun at people - lets make her really stupid and lets all laugh at the poor stupid girl you lives in cloud cuckoo land - bigots!

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

How do we have Brittany using phrases like "belaboring the nuances of my fluid teen sexuality" and talking about the "Upper Paleolithic Stone Age" while Figgins is saying she's flunking all her classes? What even is this?

yellowpride

yellowpride

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:46 AM

If they don't want to spend time on Brittany and her future, couldn't they have at least taken a moment to acknowledge that Brittana were running for PK/PQ together as a couple at a school that voted in a gay kid as PQ as a joke? No? Okay.

That really ticked me off. I mean, in an episode where they made multiple references to Kurt being elected Prom Queen and Brittany now running for Prom King, no one even thought to make a single comparison? Don't get me wrong, I thought it was adorable. I loved their matching posters and the fact that Santana was appropriately grossed out by the prospect of being crowned with either Finn or Rick the Stick. At the same time, though, it seemed like a pretty big oversight that there wasn't even a passing acknowledgement of the parallel between what Brittany was doing and what happened to Kurt last year.

The whole thing was kind of played off as another "oh, Brittany" moment, which could be said of almost everything she did this episode. I don't mind them playing Brittany as dumb, the same way I don't mind them playing Puck or Finn as dumb. The problem is that almost every character on the show has had at least one moment in the past few episodes where we're reminded that they're not just a joke. Brittany hasn't had that. There was a great opportunity for the show to take her seriously for five minutes, but instead they decided to essentially blame her for the fact that they haven't been writing her very well this season (see, it's not that they didn't give her anything to do, it's just that she stopped talking for a while). With only three episodes left in the season, I'm kind of doubtful that we'll ever get that moment for her.

thedullgirl

thedullgirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I let my teenage daughter watch the show for the first time last night. I was eating dinner and not paying close attention when she asked (during the prom committee meeting scene), "What's wrong with that girl?" I just figured she was talking about Quinn in the wheelchair and was about to give an easy answer about her accident. Come to find out she was talking about the enigma that is Brittany and I spent the next commercial break (after laughing my ass off) trying to explain the evolution of her character.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

The biggest problem I have with Brittany is that she really isn't any dumber than Finn, again could Finn even say "belaboring the nuances of my fluid teen sexuality" much less actually use all the terms correctly in a sentence. So I've always saw them the same way, they were the "nice" characters they weren't really nice, they were really dim but they were able to get where they are because they are good looking, althetic, and are good at emotional manipulation. Again Brittany believes in Santa Claus and Leperchauns Finn thinks that a sandwhich gives him god like powers to brake Sam's leg and jedi-mind trick Rachel into letting him touch her boobs. I thought that both passed with C and D averages because they got others(Finn: Quinn and Rachel Brittany: Santana, Artie)to help them get to barely passing. Also Britt's on Cherrios and Senior Class President and unlike Finn, Brittany loves Dance and Film/Journalism, so she knows what she wants to do after McKinnley. But all of a sudden, it's Brittany is failing everything because of course she is, so my question is why the hell is just being brought up now? If McKinnley is all of a sudden a real school now, how did Finn manage to graduate? Wouldn't Sue, Santana, or Quinn who've always looked out for Brittany mentioned this or you think with as clingy as Santana is she would be freaking out about the prospect of leaving Brittany? But nope Brittany is dumb and failing everything, because of course she is. She's such a lose cause Will and Emma, bestest teacher and guidance counselor ever can't even be bothered to make an attempt. Even the prospect of her staying behind while Santana and Quinn leave is played for laughs because it's more important for Britt not to be "worse president ever" even though the student body has liked everything she's ever done, she ran a brilliant campaign and none of the school events have been disasters. Nope, Britt's geniune hurt about everyone being right about her being stupid and not expecting her to amount to anything and the rest of the Unholy Trinity leaving without her, which again is her girlfriend and best friend nope not worth going into.

Edited by dragonfirelance, May 9, 2012 @ 11:58 AM.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

The problem is that almost every character on the show has had at least one moment in the past few episodes where we're reminded that they're not just a joke. Brittany hasn't had that. There was a great opportunity for the show to take her seriously for five minutes, but instead they decided to essentially blame her for the fact that they haven't been writing her very well this season (see, it's not that they didn't give her anything to do, it's just that she stopped talking for a while). With only three episodes left in the season, I'm kind of doubtful that we'll ever get that moment for her.

I am 100% positive that moment is not coming. Virtually every main character on this show has been dragged through the dirt or character assassinated by the writers at one point or another, but despite that, they've at least been taken seriously, their lives and thoughts and feelings about what's happening to them have been explored. Brittany seems to be the redheaded bastard stepchild, though. She's a prop to other people's storylines, and she's never allowed to have a POV about anything, never allowed to express her feelings or talk about how something is affecting her, and everything she does and says is a joke. Even Tina, Tina who is not allowed to talk, seems to be getting a somewhat thoughtful storyline.

It's also pretty clear that Brittana is the redheaded stepchild of relationships, despite being one of the most popular pairings on the show. They aren't allowed to have important and meaningful conversations anymore, and they're regulated almost completely to background moments again, most of which are just Heather and Naya throwing their fans a bone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't their relationship and storyline one of the critical successes of last season? These girls honestly talked more before they were dating. What in the world are they thinking pushing them as far to the background as possible? What a waste.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

It's also pretty clear that Brittana is the redheaded stepchild of relationships, despite being one of the most popular pairings on the show.

Maybe they didn't over well with the general audience or something like that.

Anyway, I actually liked Brittany in this episode. She was mean, but she was also funny.

Edited by Sara2009, May 10, 2012 @ 12:39 AM.

shannon201

shannon201

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

If Brittany is a senior, where was Will during the disco ep to worry about her as one of the seniors who was floundering with no set future plan?

Any other show that had such a wide variety of rich characters would take advantage of opportunities to combine characters that didn't typically share time together. Puck and Brittany must be friends. They used to be (still are?) the popular kids through football and cheerleading, and now here they both are, about to fail their senior year. I would have loved to see them share a scene watching all their friends excited about graduating while wondering how they're going to pull it off themselves. It would have been a nice bonding moment for them, but nope. Another wasted opportunity on Gle.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

If Brittany is a senior, where was Will during the disco ep to worry about her as one of the seniors who was floundering with no set future plan?

In addition to that, why aren't Emma, Sue, or any of the other kids(including Santana) worried about Brittany? The writers are making all the other characters look bad with this little plot development. Are we supposed to believe that no one cares about poor Brittany?

Brittanyblonde

Brittanyblonde

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I agree with all of you. What the hell is happening here?

1-Finn copied exams from Brittany, but Britt is the one who is not going to graduate.

2-Brittany is a great dancer, she is interested in journalism (when she talks she has a great level in the use of language.I'm not going to see Finn saying things like belaboring the nuances of my fluid teen sexuality )

3-She is a great visionary. Everyone thought the party would suck and it was amazing. Everyone thought she would not be elected president, and she knew how to sell herself.

The writers are so wrong about everything.They are so focus on what they are going to do next season with the characters that they are not thinking what they are doing with them right now. Santana cannot say: oh i love Brittany I don't want to be a prom queen if she's not the king and at the same time she is going to leave her girlfriend and doesn't care about her failing exams. You care or not, there is nothing in the middle about those things.

Iris de Balme

Iris de Balme

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

I guessed do nothing President Britt's message "Drill, baby, drill" was a Sarah Palin joke ... especially the part about it written in crayon

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Speaking of props, how about about that Brittany girl? The graduation thing really ruins my enjoyment of the show (and the episodes tonight we actually good). Puck gets a multi-episode arc about his graduation troubles, with multiple people helping him. The glee club boys, Beiste, and apparently Quinn next episode all go out of their way to help him graduate. Puck failed the test he needed to graduate, the opening VO outright tells us he isn't going to graduate, he gets into a fist fight and pulls a knife (fake or not) on a student, gets to angst about how much of a useless failure he is, but he will still be graduating. I don't even have a problem with Puck getting this focus (Mark killed it this episode), my problem comes from the fact that Brittany is going through the same damn thing, but gets no focus while being the one who's actually not graduating.

We get one scene where Figgins tells her she's failing all of her classes and then proceeds to talk to her about college. Not any concerns he has about her graduating high school. The principal tells a student who participates in several extracurricular activities that she's flunking all of her classes, but she needs to remain class president to get into a good college. It makes no sense.

There is no suggestion that she's not going to graduate (certainly not from that nonsense scene; she even talks about leaving a legacy at the school), there is no serious acknowledgement of her struggles in school, there are no friends or teachers helping her. There is nothing. And none of these things will be addressed in any satisfying way in the finale. There's no time for a real storyline about it.

So despite all logic, despite all the most basic things required for telling a halfway decent story, despite the very message of this show that underdogs can overcome the odds, Brittany Pierce fails. And if she doesn't fail because of her grades (Figgins certainly didn't seem concerned beyond her college prospects), I expect some other asspull that keeps her from graduating. Frankly, I would prefer this, just barely. Better a last minute fluke than a bad grades issue that should have been acknowledged seriously like Puck's storyline about the exact same thing. Or better a fluke than the show not even acknowledging it and acting like nobody should have expected her to graduate in the first place.

Outside the show, they aren't even trying to hide the fact that she isn't graduating. All of the graduation merchandise and the promos have excluded Brittany (and included Puck). She is the only established senior not in any of these things. If this is supposed to be some surprise twist where expected to fail Puck graduates and assumed to graduate Brittany doesn't, they've executed it incredibly poorly. Or maybe they'll just claim they didn't put any focus on it because it was silly to ever think she'd graduate. Or maybe it's just plain old emotional manipulation. They can pull on the viewers' heartstrings and do it with as little effort as possible. Fail Brittany, because it's totally sad and no one wants to see Brittany crying, but don't actually give her a storyline or any development to go along with it.

And who will even care but the most dedicated fans? Since they mostly glossed over the senior class president thing, the general audience probably thought she was a junior this whole time. She's certainly been treated like one this season. But really. Since they clearly never had any intention of graduating her, since they seem to want to keep her in that choir room and in that damn uniform so badly, why didn't they just make her a junior at the start of the season?

I don't think you even have to like or care about Brittany's character to see how all of this is a problem and obnoxious as hell and completely unfair.

Edited by Kokoro, May 15, 2012 @ 9:50 PM.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I'm, pathetically, holding out hope that there's a surprise reason Brittany doesn't graduate. Praying to Grilled Cheesus even.

Iris de Balme

Iris de Balme

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

I'm confidently expecting that whereas Britt thinks she has a place on the nugget line at Perdue, it's actually Purdue Vet School where her knowledge of cat diseases and obsession with probing scored her a scholaraship.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I'm confidently expecting that whereas Britt thinks she has a place on the nugget line at Perdue, it's actually Purdue Vet School where her knowledge of cat diseases and obsession with probing scored her a scholaraship.

That's I keep hoping too. I've heard quite a few Brittany/Brittana fans fully confident that her "No, Purdue Chicken Factory" line to Figgens was more in the sacastic manner of, "No, fuckstick, not the *school* and chicken factory, what *other* Purdue would I be referring to." There's a part of me that's still thinking Brittany will be revealed to be a secret genius who already earned her GED before Senior year, but Sue pulled some strings to keep arguable the best dancer in all of Ohio on the Cheerios. We already know she doctors her girl's grades, is it too far beyond comprehension that she may be doing the inverse by tanking Brittany's grades?

Balderdash

Balderdash

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the writers and how they sideline Brittany - using her as the punchline for so many 'jokes' based on her intelligence (which is all kind of wrong and totally unfunny and would not be tolerated if they were about her ethnicity especially if she were black) There is much more to her than we have been shown witness the back end of Season 2.

So not only have they sabotaged her this season and deliberately ignored any issues that may cast doubt on her graduation. In the last episode "Nationals" when we got the hug fest with Mr Shue and ND she was not shown - I think she made a brief appearance as tall girl in group on extreme left of screen. So once more Mr Shue 'teacher of the year' ignores Brittany - that man is a disgrace.

The writers portrayal of Brittany is infuriating - because for me Brittany is potentially their most interesting character and they have fluffed nearly every opportunity to explore her. And it is too easy to dismiss her as the dumb blonde - she could not have been that dumb to get to senior year, qualify for all those extracurricular activities, organise a scholarship for Santana etc... OK she comes out with Brittanyism and wacky tangental expressions but people do do that - and not because they are challenged academically but because it appeals to their sense of humour or the way they want to see the world --- even if the world is not that way --- even and especially if they know that it is not the fluffy , nice cotton candy world they wish to live in. I could go on and on as I am sure most of you here could also... It just makes me so angry.

Furthermore without Brittany Santana would not be half as interesting as she is. Both Heather and Neya have done wonders with what they have been given to work with but they have wasted so much potential by not developing Brittany.

Edited by Balderdash, May 16, 2012 @ 2:30 PM.