Tripp van der Bilt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

22 replies to this topic

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 7:40 PM

I just realized how loaded his name is: he trips, he trips others, others trip him

So what does everyone think of him? I think he looks at Serena in a way that's different from all the other guys in her past. They were boys but he's older. I don't think that it's a maturity thing. I mean, he's literally staring at her as if he wants to devour her. Dan, Nate, Aaron, Carter - they couldn't look at her without first looking at themselves first. Terribly insecure boys who couldn't really make it all about her. Tripp hasn't even done anything yet but the way he seems to want Serena is... hot.

Discuss.

BrainyNugget

BrainyNugget

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

I like Tripp. He is not conventionally good looking but somehow he comes across a lot more attractive than some of the prettier boys. Plus he seems to have a nice easy going charisma all the while being clever and aware of his surroundings and not always Natefused. Overall it's nice to have an interesting older guy around, that is one who isn't annoying or boring unlike the last few.

Tripp hasn't even done anything yet but the way he seems to want Serena is... hot.

So very hot. If they do turn whatever this is physical it will be the first scandalous hook up on Gossip Girl in a long while that I would actually be interested in.

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 9:32 AM

So what does everyone think of him? I think he looks at Serena in a way that's different from all the other guys in her past. They were boys but he's older. I don't think that it's a maturity thing. I mean, he's literally staring at her as if he wants to devour her. Dan, Nate, Aaron, Carter - they couldn't look at her without first looking at themselves first. Terribly insecure boys who couldn't really make it all about her. Tripp hasn't even done anything yet but the way he seems to want Serena is... hot.

I agree that he looks at Serena like he wants to just devour her. He looks at her in a way that makes me think he really does see her for her and not what he needs her to be. However, this thing that they have is going to end badly for both of them. I think he is the guy who has the most sexual chemistry with Blake. The actor who is playing Carter comes in second. I wonder if he married Maureen because it was expected of him. They seemed to imply that he dated her throughout college and that was just the next logical step in their relationship. I'm torn between wanting them to go all the way and having one of them stop it before they commit full blown adultery.

Edited by merrick715, Nov 11, 2009 @ 9:34 AM.

Schumiac

Schumiac

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 10:22 AM

I for one do not at all see any kind of emotional conneciton between him and Serena. He wants her, yes, but I think it is just a physical attraction, nothing different than all the other men we have seen on this show who go "she is hot, I'd do her like this minute" the moment they meet her. I don't think it is a case of liking her for who she is, as frankly, I don't think he has any idea as to who she is, they have never been that close. He likes the fact that she is this hot blonde who is young, warm, glamorous and has all this positive energy bubbling out of her -must be a total aphrodisiac for a guy who is married to that stone cold schemer Maureen & has been living under the strict regime of the van der Bilt household to this day.

To be honest, the fact that Nate has a hero-woship for the guy doesn't mean all that much as, well, it is Nate, what does he know. I have a feeling he is in for quite a rude awakening to the fact that the one person in his family he admired for so long and sees as a very moral person is not really all that great and moral after all.

I don't mean to say Tripp will turn put to be a total sleazeball, but I do believe we will see him revealed to be something of a "weakling". Tripp is for the first time in a power position of his own, and seems to be left to his own devices by his family. And once that control is gone, I think he will start to unravel, losing his ground, acting like a crazed teenager rather than a responsible adult. I see him making a move on Serena, and then totally freaking out, afraid of losing his "family" and "reputation" and probably somehow turning on her, blaming her for everything...

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 12:49 PM

I wonder if he married Maureen because it was expected of him. They seemed to imply that he dated her throughout college and that was just the next logical step in their relationship.

I think that Tripp and Maureen are something like who Nate and Blair might have become if they had stayed together.

Lula Kate

Lula Kate

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

This guy is playing with Serena's mind and let's face it, it's so easy to do right now since she is very young and so insecure and just messed up at this point in her life. Because of this, I don't necessarily consider him a "good" person. I think he slipped into the realm of creepy when he did the whole caress the scar thing. Also, he's got protruding eyes. Get your thyroid checked, buddy. Nope--not a fan. (And Serena? You're my fave but I want to smack you for ditching dinner with Blair and staying with globular eye dude instead.)

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 1:32 PM

I think Tripp literally tripped into this thing with Serena, the way it happened for her. He's not creepy to me yet but we all know they're headed for trouble. I agree with Schumiac that there isn't much of an emotional bond between them, if at all, but I find it interesting that Serena is finally attracted to a guy who isn't competing with any of her silly ex-boyfriends, suffering from huge self-esteem issues or concerned with redeeming himself in some manner. He just wants her, be it for the shallowest reasons possible, and in her "confused"/"vulnerable" state, I can see why she's drawn to him. I hope they trip together scandalously, dramatically and gloriously.

Athenaty

Athenaty

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 11:34 PM

I think that I support Tripp and Serena hooking up if only because they will then be called Strip.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 11:21 AM

Yes, I also hope that they strip together!

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2009 @ 9:55 PM

I like Tripp. He is not conventionally good looking but somehow he comes across a lot more attractive than some of the prettier boys. Plus he seems to have a nice easy going charisma all the while being clever and aware of his surroundings and not always Natefused. Overall it's nice to have an interesting older guy around, that is one who isn't annoying or boring unlike the last few.

I think there is something incredibly understated about his looks and on-screen presence that I enjoy thoroughly. It's just that I don't think he's the right match for Serena, because she's very insecure at the moment, and Tripp seems to be headed for some real nasty shit...possibly a vengeful Maureen?

deronda79

deronda79

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 22, 2009 @ 6:34 PM

I have to agree with Jacob in his assessment of Tripp: There's something about the dude that is innately likable despite some of the skeevier aspects of his character. Even when this whole thing with Serena goes terribly, epically wrong, I think he'll come out okay. I think a lot of that has to do with Aaron Tveit's natural charisma, though (seriously. Check out any of the clips of him in "Next to Normal" or "Catch Me If You Can." He has that *It* thing in spades).
That said, I wish the writers could figure out whether or not he's a Good Guy in a Bad Situation, or a Typical Pervy Politician. I like him better as the good guy, but that "You coming?" to Serena in the 3x11 promo is soooo sleazy.

Edited by deronda79, Nov 22, 2009 @ 6:35 PM.

ClairdeLune

ClairdeLune

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

Then the actor's charm must be lost on me, because I never saw this character as a "good guy."

Two things Tripp did in "The Magnificent Archibald" cast shadow over his integrity and/or judgment. First, it was the way he played touch-football; it showed he was willing to play dirty if winning was on the line. And he told Nate about Grandpa playing a major role in Captain's arrest; what good could it do Nate to know his Grandpa sold his father out?

Granted, that was just a plot-device, but I had thought perhaps Tripp was also trying to pit Nate and Grandpa against each other. At the time, I attributed it to him doing what any sensible monarch would do - getting rid of the competition to the throne which, in this case, is Grandpa's favor. In retrospect, I think perhaps he was also securing an ally against Grandpa's control.

In this vein, I was a little disappointed in how the "Hudson Hero" hoax had played out. Wouldn't it be cool to find out that Tripp had known Maureen's machination all along, took advantage it, then manipulated Nate into taking the fall? That would have made him into a rather complex character, instead of this weak man who is controlled first by his grandfather, then by his wife, and now by his libido.

Edited by ClairdeLune, Nov 23, 2009 @ 8:49 AM.

marshmellow

marshmellow

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 5:12 AM

I really like Tripp and find him very charming and attractive. He actually looks (to me) rather like Carter; I could certainly see why Serena would be attracted to someone like him who's kind and older than she. Serena is a nice person who probably sees someone like Tripp as an ideal -- a man who is stands for truth, justice and all that crap. Her crush on Tripp makes sense to me, plus they have great chemistry which is something I've not seen with the rest of her harem.

That said, I wish the writers could figure out whether or not he's a Good Guy in a Bad Situation, or a Typical Pervy Politician. I like him better as the good guy.

I agree. I'm not sure what the show is trying to tell us in regards to him, although based on the episodes that have aired I'd say it's more of the former. Which is how I've always viewed him. It would certainly be refreshing not to have a sleazy politician.

Edited by marshmellow, Nov 26, 2009 @ 5:13 AM.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 1:28 PM

From the episode thread:

What bothered me most about Tripp in this episode (and God, there's so much to pick from) is that last episode he gave that whole speech about how Serena was what mattered most to him in the world. (He was so convincing that even BLAIR believed him) Even when talking to Maureen during this episode, he claimed (lied) that Serena was more important than his career. How did we go from Serena being the most important thing in his life, to not even having the decency to tell the cops the truth about the accident and move her to the driver's seat, potentially paralyzing her? What a scumbag.

It does seem kind of like Tripp's characterization is all over the place, but I guess it all does come together and make sense in the end...

Tripp's whole "Serena is the most important thing to me evah" thing just goes to show that talk is cheap. Oh, sure, he even said that to Maureen because he knows that she's so intent on becoming a powerful politician's wife, she would never leave him or destroy his career no matter what he did or said to her. Why not spite her to get back at her for going behind his back? There wasn't any real risk for him at that point. But once the shit hit the fan and there was a real risk of his career being destroyed forever and his name being dragged through the mud, of course Serena's importance goes right out the window. The thing that's really most important to Tripp is Tripp's ego, after all.

Even if Maureen told him to move Serena, he could have not done it. Of course, it's convenient for him that he could make Maureen the bad guy in his mind and every bad thing he did is all Maureen's fault and he's still a "good guy", really! That's the most infuriating thing: he doesn't even have enough brains in his head to be some evil villain, he's just a spineless idiotic douchebag.

I'm thinking jumping in the Hudson was maybe a teensy bit of a calculated move (can't credit him with enough brain cells to make it a very calculated move). His career could be over before it even begins if he loses the election, he might as well jump in the river. Besides, Nate is right there to save his ass if he does get into any real trouble. Besides that, it's mostly bravado. Here's a guy who needs to prove he has balls because he's really not so sure if he has balls. It's the same reason he feels a need to take up a mistress.

As for intending to withdraw his name from the election when he learns the river rescue was faked, that's an impulsive and weak thing to do, that in the end doesn't really do anybody any good, except it'd make Tripp feel better about himself for the time being. Much like, oh, banging his cousin's 18-year-old friend.

See, it all comes together. Hee.

Yeah, it really might have been interesting if he was some kind of mastermind all along. Oh well, I did enjoy what we did get with Maureen being such a deliciously Lady Macbeth-like character. Even though the character of Tripp had to go and get all annoyingly moronic. Oh well.

Schumiac

Schumiac

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 8:50 PM

As for intending to withdraw his name from the election when he learns the river rescue was faked, that's an impulsive and weak thing to do, that in the end doesn't really do anybody any good, except it'd make Tripp feel better about himself for the time being.

I'm now pretty sure that was all talk, too. He first said it to force his Grandfather into admitting to the river incident in front of the press so HE could be saved. But, William, having not done it (and I'd say even if he has done it) refused, and was all "I don`t have time for you 2 ungrateful kids' little tantrums & attempts to blame me for every little thing" about it; so Tripp was left standing there, his bluff marvelously seen & called by Grandfather. So there he was, going "ooops, guess I'll withdraw from the election then", while looking around for anyone to save him at the last minute.
And Nate, being the good-hearted dummy he is, came to the rescue.
If he hasn't, once Tripp was up there to give his "withdrawal speech" I'm pretty sure he was going to weasel out of it, and instead deliver a speech about how he has no knowledge of the incident, would never allow it, elected or not would surely get to the bottom of this and find the culprits as such people had no place in his life, that he was so appaleed by it all that he even thought of withdrawing for a moment, but then realized that would be a betrayal of those who really believed in him and worked for him all this time, blah blah...

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

Excellent points, Bec and Schumiac. Argh, I hate that I had hopes for this character. Should never have forgotten the way he was first introduced - as a weak pawn of a greater man.

I see his chasing of Serena as something akin to substance addictions. He still seems to genuinely believe that he cares about her even though his actions convey the total opposite. The way he pathetically begged Nate to help him see Serena at the hospital before Nate punched him reminded me of an alcoholic begging for a sip of drink.

Trip is a victim but he also victimizes himself. I hope we never see his googly crazy eyes again.

Edited by AuntieLizard, Dec 12, 2009 @ 3:44 PM.

Love2Hate

Love2Hate

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 12:55 AM

... was on Ugly Betty tonight! And looked super cute - cuter than he ever did on Gossip Girl.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

I caught that episode. He was basically playing the same character all over again, which is: asshat boyfriend. I don't find the actor particularly good looking, but he somehow manages to generate chemistry with everybody.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

Holy bajesus! I loved seeing Aaron Tveit again because he makes me melt goo-goo-ga-ga "shit, I'm preganant, make me pregnant again" going crazy I can't write a proper sentence because of this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=61EL69OZSlY

and this:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

and this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r10uWdAIAX0

Enough said. He can come back as Tripp anytime.

Gemini36

Gemini36

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

I love him. I wish they would have him as a semi-permanent character (like William).

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I still cannot get over how ludicrous this whole storyline is.

We are to believe that the sole reason Tripp had the breaks cut was because he wasn't invited to a weekend getaway? Because granddaddy temporarily loves Nate more?

Seriously people?

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:59 AM

Just wanted to say that I saw Les Mis last week and Aaron Tveit was *fantastic* as Enjolras. Just another actor wasted on this stupid show.

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

• Interests:I am a bridal consultant and I love it! Other than that, catch me in some nerdy forum that I'm sure to be in!

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

Just wanted to say that I saw Les Mis last week and Aaron Tveit was *fantastic* as Enjolras. Just another actor wasted on this stupid show.

HOLY SHIT. I spent the entirety of that role trying to figure out where I knew the actor from. I would NEVER have guessed it would lead me back to GG.