3-13: "Shut the Door. Have a Seat" 2009.11.08 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1158 replies to this topic

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

Have a seat.

What's the opposite of grim? Because this episode was.

Edited by PolkaDotty, Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:59 PM.

pollybug

pollybug

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:57 PM

One of the most satisfying hours in TV. Hands down. Too much too say right now....

daisy991

daisy991

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:57 PM

Wow.

Peggy...finally!

kraked

kraked

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:58 PM

Just about everything I ever wanted in one episode - awesome!

Mrs Harris...what a fantastic idea.

Edited by kraked, Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:59 PM.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 2:44 AM.

RedBliss

RedBliss

Couch Potato

WOW! Hell yeah, fantastic season finale.

Marie Blossom

Marie Blossom

Loyal Viewer

Oh my god, too much to process! Definitely watching the encore. Two things that come to mind, however:

I thought Pete was going to be a partner? His name wasn't mentioned when Joan (yay, JOAN!) said Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce (just hearing that is so awesome).

Why did Betty only take Gene to Reno?

Edited by Marie Blossom, Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:01 PM.

where is truth

where is truth

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

Holy cow... a lot to process, even though I feel I shouldn't have been surprised by any of it.

A few quick thoughts-- the madonna/whore dichotomy comes full swing tonight as he tells off Betty. I don't know how I feel about that scene, exactly, but he was right about a lot of things, most particularly her building a safety net, or however he put it. How stupid of her to jump from one boat into another. She's not an independent woman and she hasn't found herself at all-- she's merely found someone else who has promised her what she thought she already had... a marriage to a successful man with status, or who was on his way to status.

She's a total fool.

I was disappointed at no Sal, especially when they made it seem so obvious that they'd call him, but that would have been far, far too neat. It just surprises me that someone couldn't do Harry's job for a while and they hire an artist instead. None of them can multitask that.

I want to be Joan when I grow up, but the Badass of the Night goes to Pryce. "Happy Christmas!" An honest-to-goodness gut laugh from me on that whole exchange.

weathernut85

weathernut85

Loyal Viewer

What an amazing episode! What they pulled off that weekend @ Sterling Cooper was gangsta! I'm so glad they left Paul behind, he's so annoying!

Edited by weathernut85, Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:59 PM.

sunburst

sunburst

Couch Potato

"Peggy, can you make me some coffee?"
"No."

Perfect.

atlchica

atlchica

Video Archivist

Incredible choice of song at the end. Directed so that it feels like Don is the one with a big future ahead of him, and Betty is stepping backward instead of making progress. That's not at all what I expected, since so much of this show feels like Don's downfall, not his rebirth.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

Damn, that episode was fucking packed. It was like a season finale of The Wire in how loaded it was.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

I LOVE Lane!!!! I'm glad he finally had the guys to tell them how it is.

dj118

dj118

Channel Surfer

This new SC is going to be fun to watch! Great way to get Joan, and hopefully Salvatore back.

However,I think that all the kings horses and all the kings men cant put the Draper marraige back together again. Drunk Don calling Betty a whore was hypocrisy of the first order, but Im not sure what Betty is doing...has she spent a total of 2 hours with Francis???

Peggy is tough, Trudie is more supportive than Pete deserves, and Joanie is her usual awesome. Next season should be a great one for the women of Mad Men.

swatymyers

swatymyers

Video Archivist

I was debating even watching tonight because the last few episodes have been almost too much to get through (I'm a sap that way) but am glad I tuned in.

As upsetting as the divorce storyline is, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce is made of awesome.

where is truth

where is truth

Fanatic

Damn, that episode was fucking packed. It was like a season finale of The Wire in how loaded it was.

And yet, still in under time... this is the first time all season that I've sighed in dismay when I knew there was no more for the night!

daisy991

daisy991

Loyal Viewer

I was disappointed at no Sal, especially when they made it seem so obvious that they'd call him, but that would have been far, far too neat.

They couldn't bring Lucky Strike and Sal. They needed LS more than Sal.

enginered1

enginered1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:01 PM

Yes! Sterling Cooper Draper Price - it has a nice ring to it especially when Joan says it. What a great episode. So many good bits.

Joan is back! Still processing..

rosjaq

rosjaq

Fanatic

The overall awesomeness of the return of Joan, the new agency and the damn good character moments tonight is going to take at least another viewing to sink in, but I have to admit to yelling out a "yeah, baby!" during this exchange:

ROGER: Peggy, can you get me some coffee?
PEGGY: No.

Good for you, Ms. Olson. You've come a long way.

Chipper730

Chipper730

Fanatic

That (almost) made up for the slowness to parts of the season. It was an excellent episode all around, and certainly has me excited for next year.

Now my question is, how far into the future are we going to be next season?

Rozzie

Rozzie

Fanatic

Now that? Was a season finale, people!

carpaltunnel

carpaltunnel

Just Tuned In

Yes! That felt so good..I'm gonna watch it again.

MrLincoln

MrLincoln

Channel Surfer

This was pure genius. Like many I was getting bored by the soap opera of Don's affairs Betty's family issues, but tonight's episode made it all worthwhile. Finally, the focus was on the business again. Parts of it almost felt like a heist movie. I absolutely loved that Roger had a bigger role again and that Joan is back.

Go Sterling Cooper Draper Price!

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

Wow, a little - okay a lot speechless. Yea for Betty standing up for herself and both of them not blaming the other in front of the kids. Why isn't Don with the kids if Betty is going to be gone for 6 weeks?

Totally love the coup. Next season should be interesting. They have all our favorites under one shingle now and they are going to be forced to work together. Glad Pete and Peggy didn't balk when they saw the other. Duck will not be happy with this latest.

Poor Don just got totally punched all over tonight - but he knows how to bounce back. Except for his drunken reaction, he is actually handling the divorce well. Of course, he's totally going to blame Betty now instead of admitting that his infidelities are what really led to this (not the Whitman reveal)

Let the countdown begin for next season.

ETA: the whole talking to the kids scene made me very teary and put a big lump in my throat. Hoorah for Joanie being awesome, Pete not have his head up his ass and to the team getting their ducks in a row. God Speed Sterling, Copper, Draper and Pryce!

Edited by Ripley68, Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:05 PM.

Pj3422

Pj3422

Video Archivist

I didn't think they'd be able to top the last two episodes, but they did! Loved how the females in Don's life --- Betty, Peggy & Sally --all stood up to him. Also loved Pryce's "Happy Christmas" and Peggy refusing to get coffee.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:02 PM

I was disappointed at no Sal, especially when they made it seem so obvious that they'd call him, but that would have been far, far too neat.

That was a "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory?" moment for me.

If Peggy had Duck's babies, would they be Ducklings?

Edited by GeoBQn, Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:03 PM.

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

That was GREAT!

Don's Very Bad, No Good, Horrible Day, yikes.

Betty is a moron. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know, Betty. (Not that I'm saying Don should get any kind of pass, but tossing him aside when all the cards are finally on the table? And trusting a complete stranger to have your back? Unwise.)

Wow. The Evil British Overlords really are the worst. Poor Lane, but AWESOME Lane, throwing his lot in with the rebellion! That worked out even more tidily than anticipated, and he rocks...in a stiff-upper-lip sort of way.

Enough with the Dick flashbacks, already -- there's more than enough intrigue happening in the show's present.

WOW. Reeeeally didn't think Betty was going to go the d-i-v-o-r-c-e route. I love Sally. Love her! She is all over the adults' baloney, man. Way to call them both out on their shenanigans, Sally. I hope this doesn't scar you irreparably.

YESSSSS! JOAN!!!!!!!

I love Lane. I'm so glad he got to have the last word with St. John the douchebag, and I'm SO GLAD Don convinced Peggy! And I'm reluctantly liking Roger again. He can be such a jerk, but I just can't bring myself to hate him!

Smell ya later, Paul.

Now all we need is to HIRE SAL BACK! I'll keep my fingers crossed for next season.

That was really fantastic. Well done, MW!

Edited by cycat, Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:05 PM.

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Awesome, awesome, awesome! My heart was racing in a good way. When Roger & Co were clueless about the files they needed, I started yelling "call Joanie!!!!". Thank goodness they heard me.

My heart breaks for those kids. I thought that the flashbacks to Dick's childhood were excellent and provided great clues into Don's motivation for this episode. Connie's last words had an impact. The "I thought you were the same type" line. Don is doing it right now. It is so exciting to watch.

jasunshine

jasunshine

Video Archivist

• Interests:Politics and popular culture. Race and gender. PhD Candidate in final stages of dissertation torture, exploring how pop culture interacts with political attitudes.

I've been waiting for them to start the new Sterling Cooper ever since Joan left. I worked in advertising for 8 years through 3 merger/takeovers, countless name changes and power shifts. Only logical conclusion, but it was executed flawlessly. I loved getting the core team together at the Pierre. Now they're only missing Sal. I'm thinking he'll be back though.
I truly loved this episode. The sit down with Peggy was pitch perfect as they say. The pending divorce, and epiphany/contrast of Don's dead marriage with Trudy and Pete's functional one was also lovely. What are everyone else's favorite bits? Was this the best episode in a while for you too?

where is truth

where is truth

Fanatic

They couldn't bring Lucky Strike and Sal. They needed LS more than Sal.

I had forgotten all about that ugliness. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

The one thing I didn't like was both Peggy and Pete still needing Don's ego-stroke in order to proceed. Do it for yourselves, people, not for Daddy's approval. That's what got him into his messy mindset in the first place.

Also forgot to mention how amazing Cooper was in yelling at Roger-- have we ever heard him so evidently voice his disapproval of Jane? Yikes.

I wonder if Peggy even thought to tell Duck.

Of course, he's totally going to blame Betty now instead of admitting that his infidelities are what really led to this (not the Whitman reveal)

I don't think it was his infidelity that led to this-- but then, I don't think it was any one thing. Infidelity + Whitman + Backup Man... it was the perfect storm. I almost have to agree with him that the kids would be better off with him. She's as much a mental basketcase as he is.

Edited by where is truth, Nov 8, 2009 @ 11:05 PM.