Bonnie Bennett: Witch in Training

• Please log in to reply

1100 replies to this topic

mykka

mykka

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 3:34 PM

Discuss here Bonnie's character and the actress who plays her. You can suggest other titles too.

For me, i'm really digging her storyline so far. She seems the one that has the most potential out of the upcoming storylines, and there's so much you can do with a witch on this show. I just hope that she turns into a kick ass witch eventually. As for the actress, I think she's probably the best female actress on show, she can sell a scene with just her facial expressions. She has a nice chemistry with everyone else, especially Elena, Caroline and Stefan in particular.

Edited by mykka, Nov 7, 2009 @ 3:45 PM.

Vandal

Vandal

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

Do you think she's becoming Vampville's Chloe Sullivan?

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2009 @ 5:24 PM

Do you think she's becoming Vampville's Chloe Sullivan?

The good parts, I hope.

I'm shocked by how much I like Bonnie. I was expecting her to be one of those side characters I don't really get interested in. They're just sorta there, and I can take them or leave them. Especially if "leaving them" means getting more of the storylines I actually care about.

But Bonnie has become one of my favorite parts of the show. She's so likable, and the powers thing is interesting. I look forward to her scenes, and feel disappointed when she isn't in an ep all that much. Which has pretty much been the case the first 8 episodes.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the character develops, not just as a witch but in general.

nemapasara

nemapasara

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 12:52 AM

Kudos to Katerina. For a character who hasn't had alot of screentime, she handled the last episode (which was Bonnie-centric) really well.

Bonnie is my favourite character, hope to see her develop her powers alot more. It seems that she can reach Damon/Stefan's level of strength/power if Emily impaling Damon against that tree is any indication.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 10:45 AM

Agreed. She just has something about her that really draws you in. Which is pretty impressive if you consider that "person discovers they have special powers" is technically something that has been done a gazillion times on a gazillion of shows. But she really manages to make it work, even from the sidelines. I really hope we'll get more Bonnie centric episodes because I really loved 1x09.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

I was expecting her to be one of those side characters I don't really get interested in. They're just sorta there, and I can take them or leave them.

Me too. I liked her, but was kind of "meh" about her. However, Katerina Graham ROCKED this week with her storyline. I could totally buy her being possessed by Emily. I also loved her interactions with Caroline.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 5:33 AM

I would have liked more of a reaction on the vampire thing and, now that that Stefan is around again, I'd like Bonnie to ask some questions about her lineage.

I like that they are not getting her involved in any romantic squares, she has enough on her plate right now.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 6:29 AM

I really like Bonnie. I wish they would give her more to do on the show, because I'm really digging all the witch/magic stuff. She has the potential of becoming a powerful character.

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 12:30 PM

I love Bonnie and also hope that the writers give her more to do. There is so much one can take of one girl ping-ponging back and forth between two guys. I'd like to see Bonnie come into her full powers and have some fun.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

I'm not digging Bonnie. She's not good or bad, really. I hope the writers can make her more interesting soon. It makes me sad. The witch is usually my favorite supe.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

I think she's too similar to Elena or something. I wish a more shallow Caroline character had gotten the witch role because then it could've been a bit funnier. With Bonnie the whole thing just seems so depressing.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 1:18 AM

I like that Bonnie was the most normal of the girls. She wasn't beloved by all like Elena. (Or, at least, that's how Caroline saw it, and there seems to have been some truth to it.) She didn't have the uber-tragic past. She wasn't the shallow teen princess like Caroline. She was just Bonnie. And now she's a witch, and is meeting vampires, and staring down the guy who almost ripped her throat out not long ago, and who knows what else. And I can see all of this shaping and molding her into a pretty fierce character.

Edited by Bitterswete, Jan 29, 2010 @ 1:20 AM.

pastel04

pastel04

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 7:16 AM

Yeah, I think she's becoming very fierce. Her scenes with Damon were so fiery and intense. I really like them together.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 9:06 AM

I'm loving Bonnie so much. She feels like a mix of Willow and Buffy. Between last week's episode and "Unplesantville" she's becoming my favorite girl, though I do love Caroline and Elena too. But there's something so interesting about Bonnie; she seem so ethereal.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

I never particularly cared about Bonnie before last night's episode. She was okay, but seemed sorta flat as a character. But after she talked back to and even threatened Damon ("I can start fires with my mind...I hear that kills vampires."), I am totally in her corner.

nemapasara

nemapasara

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

I loved that she threatened Damon, as well. Shows that Bonnie's not just someone who's going to always run to her grandma. I really enjoyed seeing a fierce Bonnie, it was refreshing. Plus, she totally shouldered Damon when she walked away from him at the dance, it was great to see her so confident.

I really hope her powers kick in though, next week doesn't look so good for her. Bonnie kicking some ass is long overdue.

mykka

mykka

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 2:10 AM

If the show will be running for several seasons, I can see Bonnie becoming one tough witch, probably with several super powers to boot. I can totally buy her as a fierce witch, who's protective of her family and friends. Although I guess there's always the looming potential of her going "evil witch" on us along the way.

Edited by mykka, Jan 30, 2010 @ 2:10 AM.

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 12:15 AM

Bonnie is coming along nicely, and I'm loving it.

badlydone

badlydone

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 5:50 AM

Although I guess there's always the looming potential of her going "evil witch" on us along the way

God I hope not! Please do not do this to me show. That was painful enough the first time around with Willow. I don't think I could take it again especially with adorably little BB.

I am completely loving Bonnie not just because of her awesome interactions with all the other cast; dancing with Caroline, her snark with Damon and the sense of genuine friendship with Elena. I was squeeing for her and the whole Ben thing and my heart broke for her at the reveal. I was practically shouting at the t.v. "save her Damon, save her!". I agree that she has definitely has the potential to be a force to be reckoned with.

Impish Dragon

Impish Dragon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 11:18 PM

When I first started the show I found myself liking Bonnie. Though the actress didn't have much screen time. And while I also tend to favor the kickass, fiesty female characters, I rather liked that Bonnie didn't immediatly embrace her powers. To me it was a refreshing change from the usually "ooo I have powers and now I'm a badass." Not everyone immediatly embraces something that would make "normal" people consider them a freak. So her wariness was real. Now I can't wait to see her learn and grow beacause I do think she's going to be one powerful witch.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

Poor, poor Bonnie. I admire her for keeping her cool and trying to get the hell away from Ben. Too bad there was a crowd, because I would have loved for her to do the mind-fire trick she was talking about. There's always next week.

bluegirl227

bluegirl227

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

no comment on her performance last ep. She did such a great job. I hope those that doubted her now see that she can pull off anything

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2010 @ 7:13 PM

I would have loved for her to do the mind-fire trick she was talking about. There's always next week.

Lunathick, you totally called it! I LOVED the fire thing with Ben. I also loved how hard Elena tried to get out--instantly pretending to be compelled because she figured she would fool him. These girls are bad-ass.

Edited by JennyLiz, Feb 14, 2010 @ 7:13 PM.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2010 @ 7:14 PM

Rewatching some of the recent episodes, I've been surprised at how much chemistry Bonnie has had with Stefan. I honestly think part of the reason she flipped out at the thought of Stefan being stuck in the tomb is because she kind of likes him (at a minimum, as a friend in his own rite, but possibly even something more than that).

Now that Grams has passed, will she blame Stefan for pushing the spell over the edge?

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

I've tried to so hard to like Bonnie and to understand her appeal...but, alas, I find her incredibly dull and personality-free. She's just generically 'nice' without any defining traits IMO. (Er, other than being a witch, which is more about a set of powers she has than an actual interesting personality trait).

I just find her SO boring and bland. And, while I understand some find the actress really talented, I think she's by far the weakest link of this otherwise terrific cast. In most scenes, she comes off as really flat and 'off' to me, but I seriously CRINGE in the scenes where she's supposed to cry or show strong emotion, as I think the actress comes off so embarrassingly unconvincing.

All JMO, of course!

Edited by couldhavebee, Feb 17, 2010 @ 10:43 AM.

willowxandra

willowxandra

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

I've tried to so hard to like Bonnie and to understand her appeal...but, alas, I find her incredibly dull and personality-free. She's just generically 'nice' without any defining traits IMO. (Er, other than being a witch, which is more about a set of powers she has than an actual interesting personality trait).

I just find her SO boring and bland. And, while I understand some find the actress really talented, I think she's by far the weakest link of this otherwise terrific cast. In most scenes, she comes off as really flat and 'off' to me, but I seriously CRINGE in the scenes where she's supposed to cry or show strong emotion, as I think the actress comes off so embarrassingly unconvincing.

All JMO, of course!

I like Bonnie a lot but I'm not sure if the writers like her very much. They reduced her to 30 seconds of appareance every single episodes (save 1X09 & 1X14) making basically impossible to get to know her. The only characters, she has been interacting were her best friends (Elena & Caroline) sometimes Stefan (I wish her and Stefan would interact more) and her grandma (who is now dead, I'm gonna miss Jasmine Guy as a "dead like me" fan) and no one else. I'm not saying she has to have boyfriend. They haven't give her any storyline other than being a witch.

And I still don't know who she is and it makes me sad. Part of me wish they would make her a sociopath who's been playing & fooling everyone, a manipulative person (but a good witch) with an agenda.
But after the drama of 1X14 I have some hope for character. Can't wait to see the aftermath.

As for Katherina Graham's perfomance, I disagree. I actually think she's underrated and strong at crying. If anything I blame far more the writtings than her acting for making her scenes flat. After her breakdown due to her grandma's death, I can't see/understand how anyone can say Kat's unconvincing when it comes to drama. This scene felt quite real. Actually, I believe it was the saddest scene of the show so far.

JMO, of course.

Edited by willowxandra, Feb 17, 2010 @ 2:01 PM.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

And I still don't know who she is and it makes me sad.

Exactly! As I said, I genuinely want to like her, but I can't like or feel invested in someone who's so utterly bland and undefined as a character.

Part of me wish they would make her a sociopath who's been playing & fooling everyone, a manipulative person (but a good witch) with an agenda.

I am ridiculously in love with this idea. Seriously, it would make the character a zillion times more compelling and enjoyable to me!

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 3:39 PM

I feel like I know Bonnie. To me, knowing a character means having a good idea of what they'll do in any situation. And I do.

I also don't think she's undefined. She maybe not as quirky or over-the-top as some other characters. But part of her character is that she's quiet, low-key, and reserved. And I actually like that about her. I like that she the normal one, and not really given to drama like maybe Elena and Caroline are. It makes the drama that's pushed on her more interesting.

Although I do think they've shown that, despite being a quiet, reserved person, she's not weak or a pushover. Staring down the guy who just tried to kill you without flinching takes guts.

However, I do agree that I'd like to see more of her, and get to know her better. I want more than two or three minutes per episode here and there.

Part of me wish they would make her a sociopath who's been playing & fooling everyone, a manipulative person (but a good witch) with an agenda.

No. Please, no. I think there are ways to flesh out a character without making them go psycho, or revealing that they've been secretly evil all along, which I've seen done way to many times.

As for Katherina Graham's perfomance, I disagree. I actually think she's underrated and strong at crying. If anything I blame far more the writtings than her acting for making her scenes flat. After her breakdown due to her grandma's death, I can't see/understand how anyone can say Kat's unconvincing when it comes to drama. This scene felt quite real. Actually, I believe it was the saddest scene of the show so far.

I agree with all of this. I'd also point to her possession scenes in "History Repeating." I've rewatched that ep recently and, when Emily is possessing her, it really does feel like Bonnie isn't home anymore, and there's another person in her body.

Edited by Bitterswete, Feb 17, 2010 @ 3:43 PM.

blustar

blustar

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 3:50 PM

I really enjoy Katerina Graham's performances on the show and it's due to the actress that I and probably many more want to see more of her. I find myself extremely disappointed when we only see her for a few minutes an episode. I can say the same for Caroline and Tyler. Either way, I'm hoping that since the first 9 or 10 episodes were shot before fan feedback, her lack of screen time will increase since she's pretty popular.

Yeah as others stated she's just "the witch" and her screen time is rarely more than a few minutes. We haven't seen her home life. I hear that she lives with her dad? I barely remembered that fact until I read an interview with the actress. We got a throw away line about there being strife between her family and her grandmother. We need more. Here's to hoping that Katerina gets more screen time.

(I wish her and Stefan would interact more)

I have a feeling that when and if Elena and Stefan temporarily separate from the many obstacles they face, Bonnie will be one of the few people Stefan can interact with. Granted things may change in the future, but it was pretty telling how when Damon and Elena had their road trip, the writers decided to bond Stefan, Bonnie, and her grandmother. In the last episode, there was also the moment where she begged her grandmother to save Stefan. I don't believe she did that for Elena but because she sees him as a friend. I can see her inviting Stefan into her home (if we ever see it) since he was invited into her grandmother's and just being good friends.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

I for one think she is very likable. Yes, she's kind of subdued and very guarded, but that's what I like about her. Like mentioned above, I do think we get a feeling of her and how she would react in a situation and to me that is pretty well defined. Plus, so far she seems one of the few holdouts of people who thankfully still distrust Damon since Elena seems to be warming up to him.

I know that some regal or laid back characters can be bland, but to me the actress makes it work that I actually buy that had quite a lot convictions going on underneath.

I find her to be among the most "root for" character on the show.

It's funny though that she seems to be moving more into the space that was occupied by Elena when the show began. Back then Elena was the one who was sold to us as being deep and somber and only learning to be happy again, the caretaker of Jeremy, the one who told Damon off. Now it seems that she has lost a lot of that and they are going more for a "girl who enjoys some action/girl who might get bored if the boyfriend is not exciting enough" thing. At the beginning Elena and Stefan seemed like a real good match for me, both kind of laid back caretakers of troublesome family members. And Elena seemed like somebody who has a lot on her plate and that the last thing she would want was a vampire boyfriend (and that it might be more about liking Stefan *despite* him being a vampire rather than it being part of the appeal). Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Elena getting a more fun/danger loving personality, maybe even some shades of Katherine, but to me it really weakens the believability of the Elena/Stefan pairing right now.