Damon Salvatore: The Hotness, It Burns

• Please log in to reply

1596 replies to this topic

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

Well, Damon did jump into bed with Elena within 24 hours after that break up so he was enjoying it some degree.

Maybe, but that's beside the point since I was talking about how each brother reacted when the other's relationship with Elena ended: they had the same reaction.

We haven't got a "I'm not not happy for you" from Damon, but he did push Elena towards Stefan more than once while she was making googly eyes at him (Damon), that should count for something.

But I think it's a matter of what the plot needs at any given time, really, it doesn't have anything to do with character growth. Stefan being now a fan of Elena's relationship with his brother after spending the first 4 seasons of the show telling her that Damon is the absolute worst is the same as Damon trying to get into Elena's pants one episode and telling her not to give up on Stefan the next one: they do what they need to for the plot to go from point A to point B, that's all. I'm pretty sure the moment the writers decide to resurrect the triangle, supportive Stefan will suddenly disappear.

truthaboutluv

truthaboutluv

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

Maybe, but that's beside the point since I was talking about how each brother reacted when the other's relationship with Elena ended: they had the same reaction.

Except Stefan and Elena's breakup came after seasons of Damon making it clear he wanted Elena and seasons of his being incredibly inappropriate towards her, sometimes with Stefan right there. I think it was more than reasonable that Stefan would feel like, "well you got want you've wanted for so long now." Damon and fake Elena's breakup came right on the heels of Stefan telling Damon he was stupid to break up with Elena and his not doing anything remotely inappropriate towards their relationship. 

Stefan being now a fan of Elena's relationship with his brother after spending the first 4 seasons of the show telling her that Damon is the absolute worst is the same as Damon trying to get into Elena's pants one episode and telling her not to give up on Stefan the next one: 

I disagree completely. One, I do not agree that Stefan spent all four seasons telling Elena or trying to convince her that Damon was the absolute worst person ever. Most of Stefan's "hatred" towards Damon seemed to be in the first season and by the second season he was already back on his unhealthy relationship road where Damon does his horrible shit and Stefan either makes excuses or insists that there is someone decent underneath. 

On top of that, I don't see how calling out the bad shit that Damon really was doing and had done is equivalent to Damon deliberately disrespecting Stefan and Elena's relationship and basically eye-sexing and hitting on her every chance he got. Stefan never lied about Damon and made him out to be someone he wasn't. It's not like Elena wanted to be friends with Damon and Stefan spun some tales about him to ruin him in Elena's eyes. When Damon first showed up he was dangerous, he was violent and he was a threat. 

Edited by truthaboutluv, Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:18 PM.

Aeryn13

Aeryn13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:34 PM

I disagree completely. One, I do not agree that Stefan spent all four seasons telling Elena or trying to convince her that Damon was the absolute worst person ever. 

I think as long as he was secure in his relationship with Elena and in her love for him and just him, that wasn`t so much an issue. Back then Stefan`s interest was more in getting his brother back and a better relationship with him. And Stefan saw how being around Elena kinda brought Damon to a point where Stefan liked his brother. Not in the in-love-with-my-girlfriend-way but the not-randomely-killing-way.

Also, it would have been mighty rich because once the first batch of episodes of Season 1 was over and Damon stopped being the antagonist, Stefan readily called on him to protect Elena. All the time.

Only when the triangle became an actual one with Damon a valid option of Elena`s romantic attentions, did things deteriorate IMO. 

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

he did push Elena towards Stefan more than once while she was making googly eyes at him (Damon), that should count for something.

The difference for me is that IMO when Damon had his brief moments of pushing Elena at Stefan, he did so for her sake. He didn't think he was good enough for her, so she should be with his brother. Stefan pushed Elena towards Damon for his sake, so he would become a better person.

Stefan being now a fan of Elena's relationship with his brother after spending the first 4 seasons of the show telling her that Damon is the absolute worst

I think Stefan's always been Damon's No. 1 enabler (No. 2 would be Elena) in excusing his actions and hoping for the best. He spent seasons telling Elena that there was a decent man underneath, that Damon was trying, that she shouldn't give up on him. Only when they started to really fight for her affections did things get ugly, like Aeryn13 said. But I think that's pretty much expected, Stefan may get the saint writing sometimes (per Cindy), but just benevolently stepping aside because they should get their chance too would have been too much even for this show.

Of course that difference in their behaviour does make sense too, given that Stefan started out in an easier position, since he was in a committed relationship with Elena and felt secure enough in their relationship. Damon had to fight his way into Elena's heart and that's exactly what he did.

Aeryn13

Aeryn13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

The difference for me is that IMO when Damon had his brief moments of pushing Elena at Stefan, he did so for her sake. He didn't think he was good enough for her, so she should be with his brother. Stefan pushed Elena towards Damon for his sake, so he would become a better person.

I think that is perfectly in line with who each brother loves more. Of course Stefan wanted to keep Elena and have Damon just the way he wanted him (that sounded less dirty in my mind, maybe on HBO) but if he has to choose, it`s Damon.

Damon on the other hand molds himself to the girl he loves so completely (and Stefan knows this), it eclipses all other things. Also because of his and Stefan`s past, both together and alone, he kinda knows that they have each done so much crap, they can always approach each other on different level than most of the others. 

In the last episode Damon said he would tell Elena and let the chips crash and burn as they may. So he may hope for a less negative reaction but is prepared for a nuclear one. On the other hand he is not worried that Stefan writes him off now on account of the recent killer spree. Because why? How long has the summer of Klaus-itude been in show times? 

The way the brothers handle these things between them is more like a "really, man? this again?". It`s a somewhat comfortable fall-back for both.  

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 3:44 AM

Wait. Damon didn't kill Katherine. Stefan did. What do you mean?

To me they all killed Katherine, when she'd become a threat to Elena and was basically the Big Bad of the minute, so that's fine by me even though I'll miss her character. Stefan dealt the killing blow, but they all showed up there as her executioners basically. At least it's acknowledging the former badassness of the character that they needed everyone they knew to get rid of her for good.

A major point where I lost a lot of sympathy for Damon was during her death episode when he needlessly tortured her and seemed to get off on his cruelty towards her. I mean, it's consistent that Damon enjoys brutality switch-on as well as off but still, she was human, she was dead anyways and there was no need for this. And I always resented this idea of his that she treated him so much worse than Stefan - it's only because he allowed her to have so much influence over him that he got hurt so much. When it comes down to it, feeding on Stefan against his will, manipulating him and even giving him her blood against his will is way worse than whatever she did to Damon because he went into it eyes open. He knew she was screwing around with his brother, he knew she was compelling him and at no point did it occur to him that this was not the behaviour of a woman who a) loved him best of all and b) was worth the slavish devotion he had for her. She basically abused his little brother right in front of him and the only reaction Damon had was to gloat, because he didn't need to be compelled, because it was real between them.

Aeryn13

Aeryn13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

A major point where I lost a lot of sympathy for Damon was during her death episode when he needlessly tortured her and seemed to get off on his cruelty towards her. 

In that, I think they were actually alike because I think Katherine has enjoyed self-centered cruelty lots of times. And ironically, it was Stefan`s "forgiveness yay" speech that led Elena to going up in the last moment and Kat managing the Traveller switch spell. If Elena had kept toasting to Kat`s death downstairs, no dice. 

I actually found Damon`s actions in that episode confusing. When he fed Katherine to Silas, I thought the scene signified how he was really, really, without the hint of a doubt over her. But bothering to actually torture her instead of, I don`t know, saying a few mean words or ignoring her altogether doesn`t exactly scream "total indifference".

I could have bought it right after learning she nearly killed Elena in the Season 4 Finale. But Damon was civil to Katherine when she showed up and even agreed to help her when she begged. Equally, it would have been believable AFTER the body switcheroo and all that.

But when she died in that episode, she hadn`t given Damon any fresh motive to hate her. Before, they were prickly with each other but it seemed like bygones were bygones. Klaus showing up to gloat was in character because when it came to Katherine and revenge, he had been consistently like a dog with a bone. 

If they just had Damon do it because they needed a narrative frame to put in most of the flashbacks, then lame.