Damon Salvatore: The Hotness, It Burns

• Please log in to reply

1596 replies to this topic

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 12:42 AM

Figured if other characters had their own threads, than captain sexy should have one as well.

Was watching Conan and saw a quick preview for tonight's Jimmy Fallon. Apparently Ian is a guest. There's a shot of Rosie O'Donnell (while Ian is sitting next to her) and she says, "there's a good chance I could be a heterosexual cougar."
So hot, he turns gay women straight, hee!

In terms of Damon, I think my love was cemented when he killed Lexi - a new character I really liked, for absolutely no reason at all - and I didn't like him any less. He's so much fun to watch, because you never know what that crazy bastard is going to do next. I always prefer characters that are catalysts instead of reactors, and Damon seems to be the only one on the show seriously stirring the pot.

Edited by hurtville, Nov 7, 2009 @ 2:33 AM.

somethingnew

somethingnew

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 1:14 PM

Love the title for this thread.

And I agree that even though Damon is undeniably evil, it doesn't make me love him any less. It may just be my shallowness coming through, but I think the reason I don't hate him is because he isn't annoying, or a bastard. He doesn't get revenge out of pettiness, or is smug (he may act it, but I don't really think he believes it), or is self-righteous.

He does things with a purpose in mind, he doesn't deliberately try to be mean or hurt the people he loves, or cares for, and he has redeeming qualities in that he really does care for his brother, and I think the reason he is so evil is because he regrets that Stefan doesn't seem to love him anymore.

I'm really glad that we find out next episode why he's come back to Mystic Falls, because I don't want him to commit more irredeemable actions that might put me off the Damon love train.

gazebogrl

gazebogrl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 2:30 PM

He does things with a purpose in mind, he doesn't deliberately try to be mean or hurt the people he loves, or cares for, and he has redeeming qualities in that he really does care for his brother, and I think the reason he is so evil is because he regrets that Stefan doesn't seem to love him anymore.

DITTO!!!! You really got Damon down, though I do disagree that he doesn't deliberately try to hurt people he cares about. He followed Stefan to Mystic Falls to punish him and turn his world upside down. And yet, at the same time, he wants Stefan to come back to him so they can be family again. Damon seems to be devoid of all humanity except when it comes to Stefan. Somewhere in his vampiric head is still that little bit of humanity left, the one that still loves Stefan. And yeah, that's about the only redeeming quality Damon has so far.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2009 @ 6:08 PM

He followed Stefan to Mystic Falls to punish him and turn his world upside down.

I don't think that's why he did, I think he has a bigger purpose. But we'll see.

Dulcinea815

Dulcinea815

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 7:35 PM

I don't see any redeeming qualities in him just yet, but I think the significant ones will come much later on. I love the chemistry between Damon and Elena and am dying to see where things lead in the future. Ian Somerhalder is definitely the spark in this show and he looks like Chace Crawford's evil twin. Can't go wrong there.

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 12:34 AM

Aw, I know he's all evil and stuff - but those Damon tears got me. I felt like we saw more real emotion from Damon in those 5 seconds than we've seen from any of the other characters this season. Well played, Somerhalder.

lovemytvshows

lovemytvshows

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

Dammit! Hopelessly-in-love-with-the-same-woman-for-145-years Damon really gets me. Plus the fact that he was never compelled! My heart broke for him when he came to the realization that he'll never be able to ressurect Katherine ever again, despite hoping and waiting for 145 years to do it. Now that is devotion!

For me, Damon's 5 second sad-puppy-dog eyes in that scene pretty much overrides every evil thing that he's ever done.

Spacecow

Spacecow

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 6:02 AM

Damon's 5 second sad-puppy-dog eyes in that scene pretty much overrides every evil thing that he's ever done.

I know! We're so shallow. Or maybe I'm shallow... the man brings the pretty. I cannot possibly resist that.

I am glad that we've finally witnessed some honesty and emotions from him. Pure, unreasonable evil is entertaining for a while but not in the long run. I'd really like to see more flashback episodes in order to know what was Damon like before the entire Katherine saga.

somethingnew

somethingnew

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 10:41 AM

Ian Somerhalder on Jimmy Fallon

He doesn't really talk much about Vampire Diaries, but he is veeeeery charming. =]

I love how even Rosie O'Donnell's in love with him!

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 9:52 PM

Ian Somerhalder on Jimmy Fallon

He is ridiculously adorable. The face he makes when Rosie grabs him and asks him if he knows how stunning he is is too funny.

lovemytvshows

lovemytvshows

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

He's as charming on Jimmy Fallon as he is on Vamp Diaries! Swoon!

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2009 @ 12:55 AM

Ian was just featured on E!'s list of top 10 Vampires We Love (hilarious that there could even be such a show... but I digress). Can't really argue with a list that features both Ian and Alex Skarsgard.

Also just wanted to post this picture, as it's scaring the shit out of me... but it's also kind of awesome and sexy: Evil Ian.

deadorblack

deadorblack

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2009 @ 7:33 AM

Yikes! That is scary! But yeah, totally sexy. Just watched the Jimmy Fallon clip. *swoooon* I couldn't help but be really amused at how Rosie just *had* to hold his hand. Lol.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

Oh man, Evil Ian is CREEPY! IS/Damon is so amazing on this show. Just when you think he has no feelings/can't be redeemed, BAM! He shocks you again. His bonding with Stefan and mocking of Stefan were awesome and hilarious. I especially loved when Stefan informed him that he had been with Katherine last, and that they had "other things on their minds," and at the end when he lost the chance to bring her back. Amazing.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 2:19 AM

Who knew that IS could play the evil, tormented soul that is Damon so well? He makes this show for me. Boone Carlisle was such a wuss. Yet Damon Salvatore...yep, absolute hotness. The eyes and the smile, I'd fall for him in a heartbeat.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 12:11 AM

It's amazing what a difference the right role makes - IS's character didn't do a thing for me on Lost, but here he's got some serious charisma going on and he is the most interesting character for me so far.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 7:52 AM

I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds and similar profiler show and as such I immediately noticed, is it just me or does Damon seem to have a preference for killing couples? And then usually kills the man first, so the woman can see that he's dead?

(Criminal Minds just revisited the Reaper case where it was a big point about the original profile that he also killed couples, but spent a lot more time with the women, etc)

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2009 @ 7:36 PM

I watched "Lost Girls" last night. I hadn't seen it in its previous run. I have to be shallow with this post. I was completely distracted by Ian/Damon's lips in this episode. Absolutely beautiful lips- so red and full. Everytime he was onscreen, I couldn't stop looking at his mouth.

Edited by Love, Dec 17, 2009 @ 7:37 PM.

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

I have to say, this scene - and Damon in said scene, is the reason that I am now completely addicted to this show. Totally love it - there's something cinematic about it... and it's sexy and fun without being sexually charged between the characters if that makes any sense. IS is so much fun in this role.

badlydone

badlydone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

I have to be shallow with this post.

You say that like its a bad thing! Every time I talk about how fantastic IS is in the role and how I have found his portrayal of Damon to be note perfect since the pilot, eventually it always comes back to how pretty he is.

There is a reason this thread has the title it does.

somethingnew

somethingnew

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

I have to say, this scene - and Damon in said scene, is the reason that I am now completely addicted to this show. Totally love it - there's something cinematic about it... and it's sexy and fun without being sexually charged between the characters if that makes any sense. IS is so much fun in this role.

I love this scene so much too! Just his lazy sexiness, and how he can make us forget about his "evilness" because he's having so much fun, and being so adorable with Vicki. I really liked their scenes, and I wish they could have had more together. And in the end, when he quickly sees Katherine's picture and his face just crumbles--it's really heartwrenching.

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

Don't know why I find this so thoughtful - but in this vid, Ian has some interesting insights on where he thinks Damon's sense of humor comes from. Never thought of that - but I can totally see it. Also... he's purrrty.

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2009 @ 11:26 PM

I'm glad that Ian has put thought into his portrayal, that he's really thinking through why, he believes, Damon does what he does.

I love Damon. True, I've always had a soft spot for the 'obligatory psychotic jackass', and have a remarkably high tolerance for completely immoral characters. He wants to eat half the town, as long as he remains funny, charming, and hot as hell, chances are I'm on board.

That said, why on God's green earth has Stefan not killed him? I know he's his brother, but the guy has little to no impulse control. I don't mind it, cause I can appreciate capital "E" Evil, but I don't live in Mystic Falls, and haven't been around for 150 odd years to see all the destruction Damon is capable of.

Of course, I would hate to see Damon soften up. It's part of the reason I have no desire to see him with Elena- it would take some form of penance, or turning a new leaf for that to happen, and I'm quite happy with the character as he is. I don't mind a little bit of pining for Katherine, but I'd prefer they stop there. My next question, though- is it possible for him to remain his adorable, evil self, without alienating the portion of the fan base that doesn't like psychopathic killers?

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 10:42 PM

See also: Gray, Gabriel aka Sylar (Heroes).

Honestly, that's why I have trouble seeing the comparison between Damon and Spike and people's reticence to see him "woobified", because leaving him capital E Evil leaves only one path and making him into Sylar is FAR worse than making him into Spike. Really, the only way to have a real villian as a series regular is to make him the protagonist like Dexter, Shield, and the Sopranos and even then that seems to have only worked on the cable format, not network television. As it is, it's bordering on character assassination that Stefan hasn't done anything yet after Zach, Vicki, Tanner, Bonnie, Caroline, and especially Lexi, and as the other charaters start growing in knowledge and power the same problem will come up with them too, probably Bonnie and Jeremy first. In the end, it will come down to a choice between preserving Damon's character and preserving everyone else's and in that scenario, O chose everyone else.

Edited by Morrigan8472, Dec 21, 2009 @ 10:44 PM.

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2009 @ 9:58 AM

I agree, Morrigan8472. Actually, I've found myself comparing Damon to Sylar on several occasions, normally after Stefan's decided to "punish" Damon (locking him in the vervain cellar, stabbing him in the stomach), instead of killing him. Even his penchant for playing along with the authorities and assisting in their investigation is very Sylar-like. But you're right, keeping him alive when he's still actively killing is doing a disservice to the other characters.

Personally, I never had a problem with Spike's character development (I also liked all seasons of Buffy, including 6 and 7), but there was a catalyst for his change- falling in love with Buffy and, later, getting his soul. If they do want to make Damon more user friendly, I'm gonna need some kind of explanation. As it is, I find myself frustrated whenever he displays any sympathy or concern for any character other than Stefan. Maybe he was just so, aggressively evil right out of the gate, that it's hard for me to accept. For example, after almost killing Bonnie, he actually backs off, and even looks a little upset. Why? It makes no sense- he's not invested in Bonnie, and after Emily's renege, he had no reason not to kill her.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

I just saw IS in an old episode of L&O SVU - his character was nasty and way more evil than Damon.....shudders.

FromReality

FromReality

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 7:36 PM

Maybe he was just so, aggressively evil right out of the gate, that it's hard for me to accept. For example, after almost killing Bonnie, he actually backs off, and even looks a little upset. Why? It makes no sense- he's not invested in Bonnie, and after Emily's renege, he had no reason not to kill her.

I'd say that Damon simply embraces the vampire life and has no qualms about killing people to survive himself because he views it as a necessity. That said, if he was going to kill Elena, Bonnie, Caroline and the other characters, he would have by now. At the beginning he would have done it, no questions asked, but I think now he enjoys the rapport he's developed with all of them and if he can kill other "useless" people he doesn't know or have a relationship with, he can.

I don't see him killing any of them, unless they really do something to hurt him. I could completely see him going after Tyler, Matt, et al. because he's had very little interaction with any of them. They don't matter. The way they've set up the vampire idea here, it's less about losing your soul, etc. becoming evil and more about being immortal, living forever, feelings being amplified, and needing blood to be strong.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 2:08 AM

I’ve been reading though some of the threads, and all the talk about “the triangle” got me thinking about how Damon is a tough one to hook up with anyone romantically. The relationship with Caroline was a really, really ugly situation, and most of the female characters are either too young and immature for me to buy him having a serious attraction to them (we’ve already seen exactly that with Caroline, and Bonnie is a little more mature but still very much a typical high school girl) or obviously meant for a different character (Aunt Jenna being set up to be with Alaric). If they add Meredith at a later point and she’s as poised as her book counterpart, I might be able to buy Damon getting infatuated with her, although BookMeredith seems too level-headed to ever hook up with Damon…

It’s confusing because I’d rather see him with someone very different from himself, i.e. not a female murdering sociopath, but at the same time, wouldn’t a woman kind of have to be murdering sociopath to find him attractive? What mature, poised, intelligent, ethically sound woman would go for this guy knowing what he’s capable of? I guess that's why we end up with Spike and Drusilla and Natural Born Killers.

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

What mature, poised, intelligent, ethically sound woman would go for this guy knowing what he's capable of?

One with... eyes?
Ha, but seriously - I completely see what you're saying and agree. I think before we seeing anything remotely near Damon forming a romantic relationship with a woman in the present day, we'll see a serious pound of flesh exacted from him to balance things out a bit.

To be honest, the thing I'm most excited to see - are Damon and Katherine flashbacks. He is so fiercely in love with her, and appears to have changed so much since his human days, I can't wait to see how that relationship rolled out.

Also, I think the fact that the audience even talks about 'the triangle' when it really is basically nonexistent at this point, is a testament to the awesomeness of Damon/IS that sort of blinds one a bit to the atrocities he's committed, IMO.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 6:49 PM

One with... eyes?

Heh, yeah, I realized when I was going to sleep that I probably should have worded that differently, because I find him attractive. And yeah, they probably will put him through some major payback and redemption before seriously hooking him up with anyone. I (maybe foolishly) hope that they will have him go through these changes before even meeting said love interest, or at least in a way that's clearly separate from her, rather than either deliberately trying to change himself for her sake or having the writing make it obvious that they are redeeming him just so he can know the love of said woman.

For some reason, Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights is coming to mind, even though I know that's kind of a weird comparison because Tim Riggins was/is nowhere near the level of squick that Damon's at. Still, it was obvious that he loved Lyla, but even when she pointed out his fucked up behavior herself and he started working on it, it felt like he simply realized that she was right, rather than thinking, "Oh, she doesn't like this about me, so if I change it, she might want to be with me."

I think Damon's redemption should have way more to do with his brother than with a pretty woman, and the writing on this show is thankfully pretty sharp, so maybe that's how it will go down. (It's just years and years of seeing fictional people change their wicked ways simply to get into another person's pants that makes me suspicious, rather than the writing itself, which has been good.)

I am definitely curious to see more about Damon and Katherine, although it seems like the flashback nature of it may keep them from delving into it the way they would with a romance in the present.