Caroline Forbes: Abyss-Deep or Kiddie-Pool Deep?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

289 replies to this topic

Stoicananess

Stoicananess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

But Klaus has taken it a bit further than pretty much anyone else; every other vampire is piss-shit scared of him.

I'm starting to forget why. I mean, just tell the guy it's your birthday and apparently he gets all touchy feely about "genuine beauty" and spares your life. But I digress.

I see your point and I do appreciate it, but this show has gotten me to the point where I'm of the mind that if the writers are going to care very little about character continuity and development, then maybe I'll enjoy this show more if I just go with the flow and ship everyone with anyone else....and ponies.

Maybe it's the wrong outlook, but I still enjoy Caroline's character so I figure maybe this way I'll still stick around and watch the show for her. And once upon a time I liked Klaus too... back when he wasn't complaining to his mother that "Rebekah hasn't been undaggered for more than a day and already she's trying to ruin my life."

Dogtown

Dogtown

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

And wildly OOC. She's been the only person throwing shade at Elena for even considering Damon as a romantic option. And bless her for that. Damon may be a little more reigned in at the current point, but he's had 150 years of flying off the handle and murdering tons of people for no reason. So for Caroline to suddenly start swooning & dropping panties over a guy who is like one hundred times worse than Damon...?

If she were to do the swooning & panty-dropping, then I'd agree that's OOC. Obviously that hasn't happened yet. I would still say that Caroline hasn't been at her best when dealing with Klaus...but still 100% in-character thus far. I still believe that line she worked into the conversation while waltzing with Klaus might be the funniest/saddest combination for Caroline ever. "...I happen to be Miss Mystic Falls." It's funny because in a small crap town full of fellow townies, you know that no one wants to talk about her pageant win anymore. Old news. But this new guy who seems interested in her doesn't know about her only claim to fame, so it's important to her that he knows who holds the current crown. She isn't that far from the girl in the Pilot who lamented the fact that, despite her best efforts, "I'm never the one." And she clearly likes the attention from this guy everyone in her social circle has been talking about forever. She is currently under the dangerous assumption that she has some power over a very powerful man. She thinks she can talk to Klaus anyway she wants and he won't hurt her. Just a crazy illusion in her head. I hope she snaps out of it soon, but I think the writers have done a good job with this from Caro's end. I just believe they understand this character better than any other on the show.

And I certainly think she felt some serious guilt after the ball. You could hear it in her short message to Tyler. She was already disappointed in herself. It's strange to me how differently Caroline behaves around Matt, Tyler, and now Klaus. Matt brings out all of her insecurities - she often seemed weak and clingy. Around Klaus she is all defiant and feels oddly in-control...even though she really isn't in control of anything, least of all herself. I always think she is at her most comfortable around Tyler. She doesn't have a need to impress him in any way. And he seems comfortable with her in control, as he's been around strong females his whole life. TYler brings out the best version of Caroline. But even when interacting with Matt in S1-2 and Klaus now, that's still negative aspects of Caroline's personality coming out that are very real. But with Tyler, the messy parts of her personality get relegated to the back-burner. You don't see them nearly so often because she doesn't feel a need to try so hard.

I'm assuming his actions were completely of his own volition at that point because he was pretty much doing the exact opposite of anything Klaus would ask him to do, ie. getting Matt to take Caroline home (after Klaus had already threatened her life) and actively trying to get as many people off his property as possible. So, yes, I think him drugging was actually Tyler making the choice for Caroline as opposed to letting her make it herself.

I've always thought that was Tyler overcompensating with the drugging for freezing under pressure when Caroline was in desperate need of his assistance in S2. "You didn't do anything!" has to be a line he flinches to in his nightmares...if we are to believe Tyler cares about Caroline at all. Instead of not doing anything at all, this time he did way too much to "help" Caroline. No matter whether your heart is in the right place or not, you cannot take free will away from a self-admitted control freak. Not even for a single night. So maybe we can assume that Tyler sometimes chokes under pressure. His decision-making isn't great when it most needs to be. Definitely a problem he needs to overcome at some point.

Stoicananess

Stoicananess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

She isn't that far from the girl in the Pilot who lamented the fact that, despite her best efforts, "I'm never the one." And she clearly likes the attention from this guy everyone in her social circle has been talking about forever.

I'm fully ready for her development to take her farther away from insecure, boy-crazy Caroline (but not wholly because we don't really ever change who we are too much, do we?), to be quite honest.

She is currently under the dangerous assumption that she has some power over a very powerful man. She thinks she can talk to Klaus anyway she wants and he won't hurt her. Just a crazy illusion in her head. I hope she snaps out of it soon, but I think the writers have done a good job with this from Caro's end. I just believe they understand this character better than any other on the show.

And I think breaking this illusion she's currently operating under would be a good way to do that because I think you're completely right, and I think the writing for Klaus has been so obviously cheesy that it has to be calculated.

I have to believe that he's been behaving this way around her because he knows (or at least strongly suspected in the beginning and now knows for sure) that this is what will eventually get her to succumb to him. I have to believe that he's got some ulterior motive despite burning those drawings in the privacy of his own home because he sees her as the weakest link in the group; the youngest vampire and insecure enough and potentially trusting enough to believe this act of his.

It's not that she's not smart enough to not be seduced by Klaus. It's that he's so much older and more experienced with manipulating people to achieve his own ends, and she doesn't see that yet. I would really, really like her too.

And then I want her to go off during the summer hiatus and explore the world and come back next season that much better for it.

Dogtown

Dogtown

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

I'm fully ready for her development to take her farther away from insecure, boy-crazy Caroline (but not wholly because we don't really ever change who we are too much, do we?), to be quite honest.

For me she has changed quite a bit since S1, but LOL the girl is still very much a work in progress. Those scenes with Klaus in E15 were really startling for me. It happened off-screen in E15, but I'm sure Damon had no trouble convincing Caroline to be the blonde distraction in the "divide and conquer" plan with Klaus/Kol. The way she walks into the Grill, her little head nod to Alaric, she actually seems excited by it all. There's so much strength and confidence in the defiant way she greets Klaus...it's almost frightening. Caroline has no doubt whatsoever that Klaus would follow her back outside. The plan is her excuse for her being there with Klaus, but she still uses the opportunity to engage him on her own. She's juicing on the back-and-forth wordplay, and the fact that he wants to talk about HER.

The way Accola played it, Caroline's "acting" is so convincing that it doesn't feel like she's acting at all. In fact, Caroline is so good it feels like she's fooling herself, at least to some extent. Maybe because she knows that she's a bad liar usually. Even when the plan is put into motion elsewhere and Klaus knew something was wrong, her denials felt so authentic. She actually seemed bothered that Klaus would think she was trying to kill him or at least totally incapacitate him...even though of course that was the intended outcome of "divide and conquer" It's like she forgot for a moment that she was only playing a role. So weird. For a second I even wondered if Caroline even understood the plan fully, as her denials seemed so authentic. But she did divert her eyes toward the Grill, which I suppose was her tell. But yeah...definitely a dangerous game to be playing.

bm232

bm232

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

So I'm not one to extol Klaus' virtues especially since he is a murderous psychopath and I'm finding his current writing laughable (ponies....what even?), but Caroline's choice of "friend" doesn't make her any more deserving or undeserving of any words from anyone, in my opinion.

Tyler's hardly a saint himself and while the sire bond may have been a big stress on their relationship, I do think that it was ultimately Tyler's choice (completely free of his sire bond) to drug Caroline and completely rob of her of the ability to make her own choice when it came to helping her friends in a bad situation.

And it wasn't the first time they'd been divided over the issue of loyalty to a friend(s) either. Tyler helped the werewolves capture her last season and then did nothing while she was hurting and in trouble.

Taking this over to the Caroline/Tyler thread.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

While in many ways I agree with the general consensus that Caroline's evolved into a more awesome (and, er, vampiric) version of herself since the series began, and she's in fact pretty much the only character who's MORE likable to me post-S1 rather than less likable, I have to say that one of the happiest surprises of my recent S1 rewatch was seeing that Caroline was always (to me) a really compelling and even lovable character. I love that, even at her worst, she was always shown as clearly fragile and vulnerable rather than cocky and arrogant; it's a nice little twist on the usual 'mean girl who turns out to be quite so mean' character we see on most other shows. And I like that even when she's petty and awful, we see reasons---albeit not necessarily excuses---for it. I don't really mind that she's insecure and that that manifests itself in myriad problematic ways---I LIKE characters with real, salient flaws to counter-balance their strengths. I'd never want to see a Caroline who's so over her issues that she's at risk of becoming blandly perfect.

I like that she adds some spirit, vibrancy and subtle humor to a cast that can sometimes consist of some awfully somber, subdued characters. It's probably due more to the actress than the writing, but even back when she was allegedly least likable, she's always been near or at the very top of my list of favorite characters, and even now is a major reason to keep on watching! I actually think she's far too good for Tyler (the one character I never liked or enjoyed on any level, even when he's allegedly redeeming himself), but she really does have chemistry with pretty much anyone. And a proudly, contentedly single Caroline would be awfully enjoyable as well.

Edited by MsTaken, Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:13 PM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

You know, if this was any other show, you'd think the last episode completely sunk any possibility of Caro/Klaus romance. Seriously, throwing a party because he's dead? But of course, this is TVD, and you know he'll be back and get redeemed.

Also, show, please stop using Caro as the designated victim. At this point, it's really quite annoying.

Edited by FurryFury, May 8, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I wonder if Candice's contract states that her character has to be kidnapped and/or tortured X times per season.

It's a real pity that Caroline, such a kick-ass character in the early episodes of S2, has been reduced to two roles: 1) helpless victim 2) focal point of a ridiculous love triangle, where we're supposed to buy the 1000-year-old psychopathic monster who tried to sacrifice her (and Tyler), murdered her best friend's aunt, tried to murder her best friend twice, turned her boyfriend into a vampire, etc. as a viable romantic option for her.

I'd pay for her to become the main character instead of Elena and get the appropriate screentime and focus. She is so much better in every conceivable parameter.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Just wanted to spread the Caro love around with these videos:

'Cause I'm Awesome - when I first heard this song a while ago, I thought it would be perfect to vid Caroline with (girl's got style and awesomeness to spare, after all)... so I was delighted to see that someone did it!

What Makes You Beautiful - another lovely vid, but ignore the comments asking "Where's Klaus?", or you might end up throwing something at your blameless computer screen out of sheer frustration/anger/annoyance.

Dimiter

Dimiter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

Julie Plec on Caroline’s love life - The Season 4 edition:

On Steroline: “I’ve been shipping them since episode 2 […]. So if I’M shipping them, then maybe one day it’s a road that we can travel down”.

On Klaroline: “The spin-off is just another version of an obstacle […]. The want is still there.”

On Forwood: “Caroline and Tyler have a lot of unfinished business […] so I would never want to believe that it’s the last of them we’ll see together.”

On Maroline: “I think Caroline and Matt in the long run of the series, will have another moment.”

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Interesting fan service. I wonder which one she actually believes in. Seems like Caroline is giving Elena a run for the money in who is the bigger man magnet!

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

On Klaroline: “The spin-off is just another version of an obstacle […]. The want is still there.”

It's like JPlec & I are watching totally different shows since all I see are Caroline repeatedly telling Klaus to leave her alone and that she wants nothing to do with his psychotic murder-happy ass. No means yes?

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

It's like JPlec & I are watching totally different shows since all I see are Caroline repeatedly telling Klaus to leave her alone and that she wants nothing to do with his psychotic murder-happy ass. No means yes?

I agree that this is what Caroline is saying, but she also appears (at least to me) to be attracted to Klaus, almost despite herself.

babybluez

babybluez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 6:28 AM

I can't wait until Klaus is gone and Caroline is finally free from this lame storyline.

InterwebzKid

InterwebzKid

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Girls, video games, chilling with friends, having fun and goofing off.

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

I can't wait until Klaus is gone and Caroline is finally free from this lame storyline.

I agree completely. Although, I don't know what they will do with Caroline once he's gone, because I don't want a Steroline ship. I like them as friends and don't get why this show has to ruin their friendship by having them sleep together, this isn't Gossip Girl. If Steroline actually happens it'll remind me of Dair, and how Dan and Blair was awesome as frienemies and sometimes allies, but then GG ruined it by having them become a couple. I think Steroline is great as friends, and, IMO, I don't see the need for them to get together.

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

I agree that this is what Caroline is saying, but she also appears (at least to me) to be attracted to Klaus, almost despite herself.

But her actions also support that she wants Klaus no less than 100 yards of her. She threw a party when she thought he was out of their lives forever, she's constantly bringing up Tyler around him, she's always remind Klaus of all the amazingly shitty & horrible things he'd done. If that's what a female does to show a male that she's interested, clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Her storyline has completely dissolved into being a prop for Klaus to fawn over or Stefan to fret to. Hopefully next season with Klaus playing with ponies in NOLA and Stefan back w/ Elena (the triangle can never not be), our BAMF may come back to true form.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

If Steroline actually happens it'll remind me of Dair, and how Dan and Blair was awesome as frienemies and sometimes allies, but then GG ruined it by having them become a couple. I think Steroline is great as friends, and, IMO, I don't see the need for them to get together.

Answering this in the Stefan/Caroline thread.

Edited by dancingonmyown, Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:32 AM.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

With Klaus off VD now, I want the Caroline from early season 2 to return, but whats the likes of them introducing a new college love interest. Plec will most likely throw her into a new relationship as usual err

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 11:30 AM

There are casting reports of a new male character for when everyone goes to college, and it seems that he'll indeed be a love interest for Caro. Of all the characters to be stuck with Riley 2.0, I never thought it'd be her.

Dimiter

Dimiter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

Of course it will be her. Elena is busy with the Salvatores and Bonnie is treated as magical wand and not a person.