Caroline Forbes: Abyss-Deep or Kiddie-Pool Deep?

• Please log in to reply

289 replies to this topic

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 3:52 AM

Man. I really 'effing felt for her tonight when she went from being happy as hell surveying the party she was throwing in hopes of pleasing Damon, then breaking down in drunk talk after Damon's ugly verbal treatment of her.

The character is compelling me, both because of the actress, and the fact that on the surface, she's just your typical blond cheerleader who likes to throw a party. But things are so much deeper than that, and it's the combination of surface superficiality and inner depth that really makes Caroline for me.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 4:00 AM

She has definitely become one of my favorite characters, during the pilot I didn't give her much attention but by the third episode she really started to take off as a character. There is an inherent shallowness to the character and that in respect she reminds me a lot of Cordelia Chase from Buffy, but like Cordy I see so much potential for her character to really grow.

She has some major self esteem issues though that if for sure. Seems like since her parents divorced her dad hasn't been around much and while her mother obviously cares about her I have to wonder if work keeps her away from home as well. Though I think part of their rift is that Caroline may blame her mother for the divorce. But she just breaks my heart the way she reacts to how Damon treats her, puts the blame on herself, bends over backwards to make him happy. I have to say if the show is doing Matt/Caroline, I think part of his attraction to her will be that she is so damaged and needs help, much like Vicki who he can no longer help but I think they would make such a cute couple.

Edited by fengshoe, Nov 6, 2009 @ 4:03 AM.

Fukaduk

Fukaduk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 1:28 PM

Definitely loving Caroline. She seems to be much more than the stereotypical cheerleader. Here's hoping they don't ruin her character. I hope her relationship with her mother is explored more, as well as at least a friendship with Matt. It would also be nice to see more dynamics between the main girls. See what their friendships all about.

Also, to the title maker, I think you're supposed to put- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes: Abyss-Deep or Kiddie-pool deep? That seems to be what the other character threads do.

or - Abyss-Deep or Shallow as a kiddie-pool???(which ever flows better) or -Scarves FTW (lol at her fixation on neck wear earlier). or-Blonde Cheerleader Say What?!? (For her knack for saying inappropriate things XD) Totally kidding. I can keep going all day with these.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 5:16 PM

Caroline is the breakout character of the show for me. I love that she's so peppy and not emo like everyone else besides maybe Damon. Like every underdog, she comes with her issues and I can't wait for them to be more explored. I would love to see her integrated into the supernatural aspect of the show and although I hated how Damon treated her, at least he brought her into the forefront. I see a relationship with Matt only sidelining her again.

Plus Candice and Ian have amazing chemistry.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

I agree that Candice and Ian have great chemistry but I'm to the point where I never want to see a relationship between them on any level. He has treated her like shit and I'd find it too gross, early on I thought maybe something between them would be interesting but not anymore

I disagree about a relationship with Matt sidelining her character, Matt is bound to get involved with the supernatural stuff as well. All the kids will eventually, but he has a sister that was vamped and killed thanks to Damon, it is only a matter of time til that comes out. Besides I see his character being great for Caroline with her abundant issues, she could really use someone like Matt in her life. Being involved with Damon, romantic or otherwise will only serve to beat her down more. She does have Elena and Bonnie but I get the feeling that on occasion she is often the third wheel while they are the real BFFs, they care about her but they also get annoyed with her. And on the flipside as Caroline grows as a character I can see her being a great support to Matt who is also clearly lonely. I don't know if what they may or may not have will be long term but for the time being I greatly look forward to seeing them interact.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 8:58 PM

I really feel for Caroline. I think other people see her as a kiddie pool, but she's really an abyss! Even in the pilot, when she's drunk at the Grill and talking about how she tries so hard, and she doesn't get it, and Elena doesn't try at all and she gets everything. (Lol, I think I just made the same argument for Blair vs. Serena in the Gossip Girl forum!) And Bonnie tells her it's not a competition, and Caroline tells her it is...Who doesn't feel this way in high school? I really felt for her there.

And she does try so hard...especially with Damon. Every time he gives her a little, he then turns around and just crushes her. The poor girl. I mean, clearly her home life sucks if her mother doesn't notice she's being BITTEN BY A VAMPIRE IN HER OWN BEDROOM (She's-the-Sheriff ranks right up there with Jenna for her parenting skills). Her best friends have all this other stuff going on (vampire boyfriends and witch powers). I think the best thing that could happen for her would be a Caroline/Pudding Pop relationship. Someone who actually loved her.

(Although I think she would turn around and rub Matt in Elena's face, because...well, she is still Caroline. Lol)

Weasley717

Weasley717

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

There is an inherent shallowness to the character and that in respect she reminds me a lot of Cordelia Chase from Buffy

What an excellent comparison! No wonder Caroline is my favorite character on this show. Cordelia was always my favorite character on Buffy. There was so much depth to Cordy and Charisma Carpenter did a fantastic job with what could have been a one note character, much like Candice Accola is doing with this character.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

Eh. While I adore Caroline and am hoping for a big breakdown or big damn hero moment she's no Cordy.

Charisma had her deliveries down pat. I want to woobify Caroline. I wanted to be Cordelia with all that came with her including, almost getting killed every week and still managing to roll her eyes and/or snark after the initial panic and screaming.

Edited by Scrapper, Nov 19, 2009 @ 9:55 PM.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 12:25 AM

Oh I agree that Caroline is no Cordy, I love Caroline but Cordy is one of my favorite fictional characters ever, it would take a lot for her to truly measure up. But there are definitely aspects of Caroline that remind me of Cordelia and I see the same potential to grow in ways Cordelia did.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 3:19 PM

She's not Cordelia but she has the potential to head in the direction of that character. Cordelia wasn't always the layered and awesome character she became. When Buffy first started, she was literally just Buffy's foil or the damsel in distress each episode.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 6:49 PM

Cordelia may have been a bit one note, but she was still hilarious.

I agree. Caroline has a lot of room to grow.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 6:09 PM

I was watching "Juno" last night and I was pleased to discover Miss Candice has a brief role! She's part of Juno's lab group and is yelling at her boyfriend for cheating on her after drinking "snow peak peach flavored Boones". I recognized her voice before I recognized her because her hair was so dark.

Edited by Amester0120, Dec 10, 2009 @ 6:15 PM.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

As it happens, I just watched Juno again, and I totally recognized her from her voice :)

Edited by Daliden, Jan 3, 2010 @ 11:25 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 2:55 AM

Cordelia may have been a bit one note, but she was still hilarious.

Cordy wasn't one-note. Yes, she was often used to bring the comedy as the stereotypical, self-absorbed teen queen. But, even in the earliest days of BtVS, she had layers. I mean, her first inkling that vampires were real was seeing an army of them attacking the school. So did she get the heck out of there like most shallow, self-absorbed teen divas (or most people, period) probably would have? Nope, she literally plows into said army of vamps, risking her life to save people she didn't actually even like at the time.

All that being said, I do like Caroline. She isn't as awesome as Cordy. (Whether we're talking Queen Bitch!Cordy or Kick Ass!Cordy.) But she does have some Cordy-ish traits that I like, and some traits of her own that I also like.

mykka

mykka

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 2:07 AM

Awww I do love me some Caroline. She's the party girl with feelings and a conscience. She can be blunt and hurt people but she'll recognise when she's done something wrong and apologize - i like how she said she's a "terrible person but working on it". I also liked her argument with Matt, and how he was just making up excuses, although I could see where he was coming from. I'm liking their relationship so far.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 7:51 PM

All that being said, I do like Caroline. She isn't as awesome as Cordy. (Whether we're talking Queen Bitch!Cordy or Kick Ass!Cordy.) But she does have some Cordy-ish traits that I like, and some traits of her own that I also like.

I think the main difference between Caroline and Cordelia Chase is that Caroline tries too hard to get people to like her. Cordy, with the exception two episodes of Buffy (Valentine and The Wish), really did not try at all to please people to get them to like her. Caroline is popular on the account of the fact that she's pretty and blonde, but she seems like she's really on the outskirts of popular group because of the fact that she tries too hard and therefore is annoying.

I'll play Casting for a bit...if they ever get around to casting Caroline Forbes' gay dad, I think they should use Steven Weber. I could see him as Candice Accola's father.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jan 30, 2010 @ 8:03 PM.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2010 @ 12:13 PM

(Although I think she would turn around and rub Matt in Elena's face, because...well, she is still Caroline. Lol)

This was posted a while back in this thread and it made me laugh, because Caroline did sort of do that at Duke's party. But I loved how Caroline readily admitted holding his hand in front of Damon / Elena was lame, and it had less to do with Elena and more to do with being vulnerable around Damon.

Given how limited Caroline's screen time has been in the last few episodes, I marvel at how the character has managed to grow so much. She's not playing games with Matt - she's putting her real feelings out there. Such a difference from the girl we met at the start of the season.

When the show gets back from hiatus, I wonder if she's ever going to find out her mom's role on the vampire council. Her mom is sooo happy with Damon's help with "evil Lexi," she doesn't have a clue what Caroline has gone through with him. Lot of story to be mined there, should the writers choose to pursue it.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Caroline but I really liked the moment when she told Jeremy he should go to the party. It's exactly the kind of sweet, mindless thing that a girl would tell a friend's (frenemy's?) younger brother. It also connected two characters we never really saw interact before - it established history and continuity, so I just appreciated that the show did that even though it was a split second moment. Caroline becomes more human to me every episode.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

I'm really hoping to see some scenes between Caroline and Damon, considering that she is finally wearing vervain! Maybe now that Katherine is not in the tomb, Damon will give Caroline attention again? I want to see her totally deny him, and call him out on all the shit. Especially now that she has Pudding Pop =)

clooless

clooless

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2010 @ 4:17 AM

I think what's interesting about Caroline's relationship with Damon is that what has really affected her is less of him being a vampire and using her as a feeding toy than the fact that he hurt her feelings pretty badly. I think the fact that he called her useless and shallow has stayed with her, which is probably why she felt the need to show Matt off in front of him. And then he reciprocated by not giving a damn, which cannot have been easy to digest. It's interesting to me that despite the fact that she has vervain now and can easily fight him off, Damon still continues to hurt Caroline by stabbing at every inch of her self-confidence. Their relationship is so dysfunctional even without the vampire-aspect. I'd love to see that explored more, so yes. Sign me up as another fan who wants to see these two interact more, even if it just involves bitching at each other!

para

para

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2010 @ 8:43 AM

I think what's interesting about Caroline's relationship with Damon is that what has really affected her is less of him being a vampire and using her as a feeding toy than the fact that he hurt her feelings pretty badly.

I think this might be because that's the only part she remembers. It would have been very sloppy of Damon to allow Caroline to remember the blood-drinking aspect of their relationship. In fact we have even a scene of him erasing the memories of him hurting her. (And since the happy go-lucky stuff of the latter half of the football episode doesn't really rhyme with Caroline's state of mind in the cold open, it stands to reason that this wasn't the first time.)

I suppose the relationship that Caroline remembers is probably a lot nicer than it really was, so the part that hurts the most is the cruel break-up.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 10:56 PM

So I'm digging this thread up from the depths to talk about how disappointed I have been with the direction Caroline's character has been going in lately. I was really excited for her relationship with Matt, they were cute and seemed like they would be so good for eachother. And while they can still be very cute together, I'm getting tired of Matt always acting so condescending toward her and she always seemingly being the in wrong or is acting 'crazy'. I think she has a right to feel jealous and insecure about Matt where Elena is concerned, he very clearly still has feelings for her and hasn't done all that much to to try and assure Caroline, without calling her crazy in the process that is. But as was pointed out in the episode thread, this has been her storyline for the last half dozen episodes. I was a bit frustrated with her reaction in tonight's episode to the hugging because that is so not the moment to be throwing yourself a pity party, but I think it was still understandable. She very badly wanted to comfort her boyfriend and instead he finds it with her ex. It does make sense that Matt would find it with Elena given their history but this is also coming on the heels of all the other moments that showed how not over her Matt is. At this point I want Caroline to dump him and see a little bit of that bitchy Caroline from earlier in the season return and I would like to see a good storyline for her.

Edited by fengshoe, Apr 8, 2010 @ 10:57 PM.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 11:03 PM

I agree. I"m still waiting for her big kaboom when the compel starts to wear off. Caroline def got "broken" by Damon's antics and I don't think she will ever be the old Caroline.

I'm kinda hoping she gets worse and starts to go nuts at least than she would have a good storyline and it would be entertaining to watch.

I esp. want a scene where, when Katherine shows up because you know she will at some point in some season, there is a big confrontation and Bonnie hesitates because she looks just like Elena but Caroline does not. It would be bad ass and prob give Elena a bit of pause.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2010 @ 6:18 PM

Yeah I was excited for Matt and Caroline as a couple at first, and the initial getting together period was really sweet, but now it feels like they're already run out of storylines for them other than bringing up the Elena issue again and again. It feels like all it's doing is marginalizing the two characters so that their relationship feels totally apart from the main plots most of the time.

I think it worked much better when Caroline was getting scenes with Damon. Matt's a character that seems sweet and good for Caroline at first glance, but he's just not all that interesting. I'm actually finding his scenes with Stefan more interesting lately, but putting the two supporting characters together for their scenes doesn't create such an interesting dynamic, all it does is isolate their story from the main plot

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

I don't think she reacted badly to the hug at all, she just looked sideways for a moment, was probably a bit awkward for her, but I felt like she understood why it was happening and wasn't throwing a pitty party.

Edited by skizzo, Apr 9, 2010 @ 11:29 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 9:08 AM

I seriously hope that Matt and Caroline are done soon. I feel like her potential is being completely wasted on him and I've ended up really disliking him because of the way he acts around her. There's nothing appealable about them together and because they're both supporting with nothing supernatural about them it feels like I'm watching a One Tree Hill, 90210 esque show with them and it's not good.

I'd prefer for them to explore her relationship with Elena. Since Bonnie's been gone we've gotten to see more of them together and their are a lot of issues there. Namely that Elena doesn't take Caroline seriously and Caroline thinks Elena gets everything. During the double date episode I kept thinking that I would have rathered the episode end with Elena and Caroline talking or reaching a conclusion rather then Matt and Caroline making up for the 80th time.

If they were to put Caroline in a relationship with anyone, I would love it to be Tyler. For one, he's not perfect like Matt apparently is and they both have a lot of snark. If the relationship started off as one of those ~we hate each other type ones then it could lead to some potential.

It could also integrate Caroline into the supernatural aspects of the show since Tyler to my knowledge is a werewolf. I would that secret come out and have Caroline find out about it through whatever reason and have them build some sort of relationship around that.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 9:30 AM

I wonder though if their intention is even to have Caroline and Elena make up. I understand that Caroline is a semi-villain in the books? Maybe they want to take Caroline more along that path and when we will look back we might not necessarily say "Ok, Elena had it coming", but at least "Ok, we saw where it started".

(incidentally pairing her with Tyler would really fit if that's something they want to go for, at least for a while)

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

I don't see her as a villain as I think we've know the character too well at this point for it to be believable but I could definetly see her snapping down the line. She's been through abuse at the hands of Damon and her friends knew about this and didn't inform her. They've also been keeping secrets from her as well regarding vampires in the town. All of this coupled with her feeling of not being good enough would probably be enough to eventually make her scream fuck you to everybody and go off the rails. A storyline which I would love to see.

Fukaduk

Fukaduk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

I do love Caroline, but her and Matt are just not good together anymore. However, I think it's all part of a slow buildup for Caroline to go on a more semi-villian like path. Her character has a lot of potential considering her interactions with Damon, finding Vicki's body, her envy of Elena, and being involved when Bonnie did her witchcraft. Not to mention she's currently being conditioned to take abuse while thinking it's normal. Otherwise if she act's out she's considered insecure, stupid, crazy, the list goes on. She's bound to snap sometime.

I hope Caroline and tyler eventually have something as well, especially considering they were a team in the book series...a evil team, but a team in any case lol. And they were in a sexual relationship. So it would be a good way to connect Caroline with the supernatural stuff considering what Tyler is, and connect Tyler with Stefan/Damon/Elena/Bonnie, because right now he just hangs out with Matt, and glares at Jeremy.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 10:09 AM

I hope Caroline and tyler eventually have something as well, especially considering they were a team in the book series...a evil team, but a team in any case lol. And they were in a sexual relationship. So it would be a good way to connect Caroline with the supernatural stuff considering what Tyler is, and connect Tyler with Stefan/Damon/Elena/Bonnie, because right now he just hangs out with Matt, and glares at Jeremy.

You see this is exactly why I want a Tyler and Caroline hook up. It has so much more potential then the Matt and Caroline romance of boredom. I don't think I want the show to go completely in the direction of the books in terms of how evil they both are but I would love to see them be semi evil and pair up but eventually develop an understanding of each other. So far I think that both are a lot more interesting then the character of Matt but yet, I feel that their interaction with him drags them both down.