Vratings and Scheduling. Er, "Vcheduling"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

171 replies to this topic

brittania

brittania

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 10:45 AM

From Mediaweek:

Yesterday’s Winners:
NCIS (CBS), V (ABC), The Biggest Loser (NBC), Dancing With the Stars (ABC), NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS), The Good Wife (CBS)

Highly promoted V got off to a positive start on ABC with a second-place 8.7 rating/14 share in the overnights from 8-9 p.m. Compared to the most recent performance of former time period occupant Shark Tank (3.8/ 6 on Oct. 20), that was an increase of a massive 129 percent. Normally dominant NCIS on CBS led the hour with an 11.2/17 in the overnights, but anything is possible once the adult 18-49 results arrive. Consider this a “winning” start for V. Too bad, however, that ABC has chosen to break up the season of V into two parts. For more, click here. http://pifeedback.co...07252#876107252

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 12:57 PM

More numbers.

cjardine

cjardine

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 2:10 PM

V's premiere scored a 5.0 in the Adults 18-49 demo, ahead of NCIS (4.2).
TV Ratings Tuesday: V Arrives, Viewers Follow

shanaynay

shanaynay

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 2:23 PM

Great news! Now hopefully they'll be able to sustain those ratings throughout November, and keep interest up during the hiatus until March.

cjardine

cjardine

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

In what has to be considered a major surprise, the new ABC drama “V” began its run Tuesday night looking like the biggest hit of the television season.

In initial overnight ratings, “V” ... hit a 5 rating in the 18-to-49 age group that networks prize (because advertisers pay the most to reach it), the best number of any drama or comedy series introduced this fall.
The “V” performance was more impressive because as an 8 p.m. show it pulled in the audience all on its own.

New York Times Blog: On ABC, a Big Night for ‘V’

Edited by cjardine, Nov 4, 2009 @ 3:44 PM.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 4:55 PM

V Viewers Volume Vaulted Vertically!! (I am surprised I could do that all with Vs!)

V rose in the national finals to a 5.2 /14 adults 18-49 rating/share and 14.3 million viewers. It was the first time an ABC scripted show had beat an original airing of NCIS (4.3/11) in over five years (since 10/5/04). The numbers increased in each half hour (5.0/14 to 5.3/14) with adults 18-49 and also with viewers (14.1 million to 14.5 million).

An even better demo number is wonderful news.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

If it can sustain that in the coming weeks, ABC is going to be tickled pink. Or, rather, lizard green.

cjardine

cjardine

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 5:59 PM

Canadian results:
V Invades Canada With Big Ratings

CTV netted 2.16 million total viewers as it simulcast the ABC bow, according to BBM Canada audience data.

The debut was the first of the current Canadian TV season to surpass 2 million viewers, after the CBC’s competition series “Battle of the Blades” secured 1.99 million total viewers, and Global Television’s debut of the Fox musical series “Glee” scooped 1.94 million viewers.

Edited by cjardine, Nov 7, 2009 @ 5:04 PM.

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

This news makes me ridiculously happy...my fragile heart couldn't take falling in love with yet another show destined to be canceled after a handful of episodes! I doubt they can sustain such high numbers, but even staying in that ballpark should be good enough (I hope!) for the suits at ABC to keep it around for awhile!

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 10:16 PM

Yeah and maybe rethink their boneheaded decision to shelve it for three months after its debut run of four episodes.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

Yeah and maybe rethink their boneheaded decision to shelve it for three months after its debut run of four episodes.

I'm glad for the ratings and hope they sustain most of it. I know they'll lose a bit but I really would like to see them stay above 10 million, something Flash Forward hasn't been able to maintain.

I also hope that ABC re-thinks the shelving decision. I really think it's going to be difficult to sustain any success if they pull it off the air for that long a time.

Still, those are excellent ratings to start. I'm happy to see them.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

I also hope that ABC re-thinks the shelving decision. I really think it's going to be difficult to sustain any success if they pull it off the air for that long a time.

They could go back on their decision, but I kind of doubt it. I think that I heard somewhere that the writers had written a really big cliffhanger for the end of the four episode, hopefully, something big enough that will hold the interest for a few months. It must be fairly hard to plan TV show timings this year. I mean you have Christmas Break then January and then the Olympics break it up again. I think that all possibilities will involve huge annoying breaks.

Does anyone know at this point how many episodes have been ordered? I am assuming 13 which is standard. I hope that when it does come back they pair it with LOST...that would be legendary! Some days would be filled with double doses of EM!

Strikera0

Strikera0

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2009 @ 2:23 PM

The problem is that ABC's hands are tied and they couldn't change anything about this even if they wanted to. The show has only written and shot 4 episodes so far and is now going to go onto another extended hiatus until early January to work out their script issues and retool their outline for the season. If ABC was going to bring the show back in the last week of January or first of February they would maybe have 1 show (if they're really really lucky 2) to broadcast and that would be it. I don't expect production to wrap before mid-March anymore.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

I would not mind the wait at all if the show comes back with better writing than what we saw in the pilot. There's so much potential for this show to become a popular, long-running series. I'm glad they're taking the time to re-work the script.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2009 @ 6:12 PM

The added benefit also if they don't come back until March and if they have only filmed a few episodes so far that they are able to take some of the criticism of the show, ie the pacing is too quick, and adapt that to the new episodes. Instead of having a lot of episodes and then getting audience feedback on the show and then retooling, which is a long process, they are able to get feedback and implement the feedback into the show at a lot quicker pace.

shanaynay

shanaynay

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 11:59 AM

The ratings fell quite a bit.

After last week's record-setting premiere, ABC's "V" was destined to drop in the ratings for episode two.
Tuesday night's drop, though not entirely surprising, was steeper than one would want.

The second episode was seen by 10.6 million viewers and drew a 3.7 preliminary rating among adults 18-49, down 29% from last week. That's the largest fall from a premiere we've seen for a scripted show this season.

The rating is still a successful number for a freshman drama. If "V" can remain anywhere near this neighborhood, the show will be fine.

http://www.thrfeed.c...d-episode-.html

Edited by shanaynay, Nov 11, 2009 @ 12:00 PM.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

The question is- when will it stop falling? Studio 60 and Bionic Woman both opened big, had a big drop the second week, and we all know how those stories ended. On the plus side, Eastwick's cancelled and the Forgotten is living up to its name- if it stops falling above a 2.5 in the demo, we should be okay.

It looks like the perception that V is about Obama might have hurt the series,just like Sorkin's attacks on literalist Christians, people who like reality shows,etc. hurt Studio 60- telling half the audience they're idiots is never a good idea.

Edited by MichaelFi, Nov 11, 2009 @ 12:41 PM.

AaroniusLives

AaroniusLives

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

Agreed. If they get around 8-10 million viewers and a bunch of DVR/ABC Online viewers, they'll keep "V" on the air. Alias was never a big hit, and that show was on forever.

Strikera0

Strikera0

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

After the pilot ratings I was hopeful that V could stay above the 10 million range for this mini event but I don't think that's possible anymore. I expect next week's ratings to fall down to the 8 million range and then go back up to 9 million for the cliffhanger episode. Then we'll have to see how the show manages to come back from the 3 month break. It probably would be wise to re-air the first 4 episodes in February.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 5:05 PM

Finals are in- last night's episode got 10.7 million viewers and a 3.8 in the demo- a slight improvement from the fast nationals.
http://pifeedback.co...01552#210101552

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

both very good numbers. Yes it's a drop, but, anything above a 3.0 in the 18-49 gets renewed, sometimes not even that, so a 3.8 should be no problem. I only wish other good show were getting ratings this good.

Edited by HouseBroken, Nov 11, 2009 @ 5:26 PM.

North of Eden

North of Eden

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

It is important to note that V held steady in the second half hour meaning viewers didn't abandon the show midway through. That's a good sign.

rit56

rit56

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 12:08 AM

I am enjoying the show but maybe the drop is the fault of ABC. I almost switched it off due to the excessive amount of commercials. It was bad enough to notice and in particular the last 15 minutes they came back from a 5 minute break did 5 minutes of show, anothe 5 minute break for ads then 3 minutes of show followed by about 4 or 5 minutes of more commercials and then the last 3 minutes. Really over the top and it's really annoying... especially the 3 minutes of show and then another break. I think this is in part why people are dropping off....

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 4:46 PM

Most TV shows are like this now, I hear talk of it on all the threads. There are now usually 6 act breaks instead of the traditional four, and about 20 minutes of commercials. I don't know that the drop-off had anything to do with that--it's the state of network TV.

I DVR everything, so it's no big deal, but there is a lot of fast-forwarding.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 5:00 PM

Most TV shows are like this now, I hear talk of it on all the threads. There are now usually 6 act breaks instead of the traditional four, and about 20 minutes of commercials.

That's true, but it has not been proven that people would watch any given show if it had less comercials. I remember last year, FOX experimented with Fringe, where they'd have between 48 and 51 minutes of actual show, and reduce the comercial time for the remaining 9 or so minutes, and that didn't seem to make people watch that show more. Similarly, I already noticed a drop for this show, from 46 and a half minutes of actual show on the pilot, to 41 minutes and change for the second episode. Still, comercial can mean good things, the more advertisers the show has, the more chances it has to stay on.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 4:51 PM

Another example is Dollhouse- it had fewer commercials than normal shows last season, and by May had one of the lowest ratings of any show on the big 4.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

The fast nationals are in:

8:00 p.m.

ABC – V
Viewers: 9.00 million (#2), A18-49: 2.9 rating/8 share (#2t)

8:30 p.m.

ABC – V
Viewers: 9.51 million (#3), A18-49: 3.3/ 9 (#3)

http://pifeedback.co...07652#334107652
Now, 9.26 million viewers and a 3.1 in the demo is still renewal worthy, though we're not going to be the next Lost. The problem is that V seems to be falling each week. Where will it stop? If it stays at these numbers, no problem, but if it keeps falling at this rate, we're doomed.

Edited by MichaelFi, Nov 18, 2009 @ 11:55 AM.

HouseBroken

HouseBroken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:00 PM

It's not that these numbers are that bad (God knows they are still beter than FlashForward's), but, the show keeps leaking viewers, and, what's more, it's about to go on a "forever" hiatus. Furthermore, Tuesday's competition is less formidable than Thursday's by far. Will people even remember this show, amidst the hotter premieres of Mid-Season like the probable final seasons of 24 and LOST? I really am loving both this one and Flashforward, and a special pain kicks in each time I see both of them leaking viewers week to week, while having a Studio 60 Déja Vu.

Edited by HouseBroken, Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:03 PM.

North of Eden

North of Eden

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:51 PM

From PLANET HEADLINE...a more positive spin on the ratings

Elsewhere, ABC’s “V” took another sizable decline, falling to just 9.3 million viewers and a 3.1 rating for its third airing. The show’s audience grew sizably from half-hour one to half-hour two (2.9 rating to a 3.3 rating),

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

Wuh? That never happens. Was it against something formidable in the first half hour?