1-1: "Pilot" 2009.11.03 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

374 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

TV Guide sez:

Massive spaceships hover over Earth's major cities to enable Anna (Morena Baccarin), the leader of an alien race known as 'the Visitors,' to deliver a message of peace in the pilot that kicks off this reimagining of the 1980s sci-fi series.

Lets Go Blues

Lets Go Blues

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

This was a good, fast paced start.

TexasChic

TexasChic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

All three of the Joss Whedon alumni were aliens!

Edited by TexasChic, Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:03 PM.

Jude Zee

Jude Zee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

Awesome premiere. I'm hooked already.

Lets Go Blues

Lets Go Blues

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:02 PM

Alan Tudyk and who else? The black guy? He looks a lot like Robin Wood, but that wasn't him.

Strikera0

Strikera0

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

Fucking great episode and an incredibly intense ending. I can't wait for next week.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Kinda saw Alan Tudyk being a V, did not see Mo Chestnut being a V.
I sort of like they dropped us in the middle of the story, with sleeper cells, traitors and a resistance movement already up and running. This way they skip over all the boring setting up parts.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

The show is so creepy! I'll keep tuning in for sure.

Totally didn't see Dale and the black guy (forgot his name) being Visitors. And what the hell is in their heads? Reptiles? So gross!! I nearly barfed for real.

EM (aka Juliet) kicked so much ass! I love her. The actress playing Anna is pretty good too.

Great Pilot episode, strong cast. I hope the ratings will be good.

mezz98

mezz98

I'm intrigued, although the automatic mass trust (uncritically applauding the first alien message?) took me out of it a bit. But there were some nice twists, like Morris Chestnut's character being an AWOL Visitor and Alan Tudyk's character being an embedded Visitor. I suspect a lot of the series' shocks will come from those types of reveals.

I'm on board.

Strikera0

Strikera0

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

Alan Tudyk and who else?

I think Morena Baccarin is a Josh Whedon alumni as well.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

I already want Tyler to die. Everyone else were interesting though.

maggy

maggy

Couch Potato

Wow, that's one of the best pilots I've ever seen. I already feel sorry for blonde Lost chic - her son is going to be the asshat that had the medics lick his boots. I like that they revealed the lizard skin right off the bat and also the guy that is going to help them from the 'inside'. I also liked the priest. Poor Wash always dies with a huge stake in his heart. LOL

insanityjones

insanityjones

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

I came for Elizabeth Mitchell(and she was, as expected, awesome personified) but I'm staying for the show as a whole. Very intriguing. Please don't screw it up, ABC.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Fucking Channel 8 Richmond for preempting THE LAST FIVE MINUTES for a concession speech.

Can someone tell me what happened after Alan Tudyk (Wash!Alpha!) got staked?? BTW I knew he was the mole, didn't know he was a V... and again I cry with gnashed teeth because a great actor got a tiny part and will not be seen again...

TexasChic

TexasChic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

My bad, I was getting him mixed up with Robin Wood!

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

This was a solid start; but there was simply too much plot for a single episode. The underground resistance, the revelation of the Vs living on Earth for years and the V traitor faction all should have been spread out over future episodes. I fear this could be one of those quick burn series as the writers devour and process plot points at a frenetic pace. What's in store for episode 2? Will the Vs place all of humanity in concentration camps given their superior technological, biological and military advantages?

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

• Interests:I love most forms of Sci-Fi including Star Trek (especially DS9), Stargate, and BSG. I'm, also, a fan of quality cartoons including Archer, Venture Brothers, Frisky Dingo, Kim Possible, and the returned Futurama.

That was creepy and awesome! I loved how the Mother-ships were actual flying cities. That's a huge improvement over TOV's Mother-ships.
Leave it to Morena Baccarin to make beautiful looks a disturbing quality.
For now, Anna comes across as too emotionless. Hopefully, that will change with time.

Also, 5th Column!

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

I liked it a lot; athough I found myself missing the reverbo-voices for the Visitors. I guess they couldn't have the "hidden among us" plot though if they had them.

Anna certainly does blink a lot. Certainly adds a little mystery to her.

Edited by jcin617, Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:07 PM.

Lets Go Blues

Lets Go Blues

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

Yeah the Head Visitor was on Firefly.

Dren Krelar

Dren Krelar

Fanatic

• Interests:The TV shows I enjoy are Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Heroes, some Star Trek, assorted cartoons, and assorted anime.<br /><br />My favorite movies are the original Star Wars films.<br /><br />I enjoy playing computer games. My Favorites include the Command &amp; Conquer games, the Warcraft games, Starcraft, Rise of Legends, and Company of Heroes.

Off to a good start, but the season long previews at the end of the episode probably spoiled a lot of what is to come.

Also, why on Earth(or any other planet) would you go out of your way to hire a beautiful actress like Morena Baccarin, and then make her look damn near androgynous?

iTwo

iTwo

Loyal Viewer

That was, yes, very good -- but I think I'm going to very much miss the old "V" symbolism, foregrounding the Resistance fighters and making their grassroots struggle into the very heart of the story. Seeing the new storytellers appropriate the classic spraytag and completely reverse its meaning was jarring and seemed a little disrespectful.

DrGoodTimes

DrGoodTimes

Channel Surfer

Amazing premiere, wish it had been longer! I loved that Wash was a Sleeper V and will definitely keep watching.

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

Awesome!

Which of course means it will be canceled after a season.

TexasChic

TexasChic

Loyal Viewer

They showed Adam Tudkt (SP?) in the previews for next week.

DrGoodTimes

DrGoodTimes

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

ABC = Always be canceling.

Durq

Durq

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

Awesome! Anna was very chilling setting her terms for the interview. Morena B is perfect casting.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

I thought it started fairly strong (if a bit too Independence Day-ish) but kind of petered out a bit, especially so with the cheesy fight at the end.

Things I liked:
*Production values overall seemed strong...like the look of the Visitor technology.
*"Traitor aspect" amoungst the V's.
*The 'sleeper cell" aspect of the V's.

Kind of hard to buy that no V's had been exposed before this though...if 2 were outed just in that one fight alone.

CubicleDrone

CubicleDrone

Loyal Viewer

Awesome episode. This will certainly surpass the original series. So, will the son come to his senses before becoming a full out collaborator? He reminds of the guy from the 80s series who was a collaborator and the resistance tricked the V's into believing he betrayed the V's. As a result, the guy wound up being sent to processing to become a V's dinner.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Whoa! I have to admit I had my reservations about this remake. I absolutely loved the original "V" mini series, loved the fact that it was an allegory of the Nazi takeover. I wasn't sure how I like this new version but the previews looked good and peeked my interest.

I can honestly say I was impressed. The special effects were amazing and it certainly has a high production valued. The acting was spot on and I found the lead characters very interesting.

I have to say that I was impressed with Morena Baccarin, I've seen her in both Firefly and SG-1 and she's never impressed me but she was certainly perfect in the role of Anna. I found her "evil" alien leader to be far more interesting than Diana which relied too much on sexy woman to be enjoyable (no a days anyway).

My only complaint is that the action seemed to move too fast, we already have the evil reptile alien reveal. At the same time I liked how they did it. The fact that the Visitors had sleeper terrorist cells on Earth for years as part of their master plan works for me. Also we already have the reveal of the 5th Column in the Ryan Nichols character.

Other than that I liked seeing Alan Tudyk as a Visitor.. I'm not a Firefly fan but it would be fun to see Wash and Inara on the same screen together.

All in all, I really enjoyed the pilot and hope it sticks around for a while.

Lets Go Blues

Lets Go Blues

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Why ask why they were all beautiful? If we had to send ambassadors to another planet (or even another country) would we pick our ugliest examples?