Victorious

• Please log in to reply

928 replies to this topic

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 7:46 PM

I don't think the show has ever said Tori was better then all of them. The fact that Tori always wanted approval from Jade always made me think the show and Tori never thought she was better. I'm thinking the reason why Tori got lead parts was because she was the new fresh toy and of course Sikowitz trolling Jade half the time. If anything I got the feeling the show made it Andre was the best at being a musician and Jade at singing. The show also made us believe Tori's not that great of an actor half the time.

I never got why they didn't let Liz sing. Her voice is my favorite out of everyone's. But Jade had one of the better writing out of the whole cast. Her evolution from spilling coffee on Tori to Tori Goes Platinum and Opposite Date is amazing. Actually let' be honest, Tori and Jade's friendship evolution is probably some of Dan's better writing.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2014 @ 2:57 PM

Tori needed approval from Jade? Tori was the biggest threat to all of them, especially Jade. I see even Cat was sidelined by Tori's entry and only her airy and naive nature prevented her from being against Tori. Look how they kept Tori out from the Ping Pong scam at first.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2014 @ 5:32 PM

I agree that Tori never thought she was better than anyone else, but isn't that part of the Magically Talented Mary Sue trope?  She has no idea she's awesome, so everyone likes her! 

Dan really lucked out in finding a lead as likeable as Victoria Justice, because someone else in the role could've been downright unbearable. 

I never did manage to see the last episodes of the series - did Jade ever acknowledge not totally hating Tori?  I did like their relationship as it developed but I always hoped it would end on a somewhat positive note. 

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 1:04 AM

I finally watched the Sam and Cat episode with Jade in it. Oh my word the things I do for Liz Gillies. Sam and Jade are the best part. Less Cat please.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 4:22 AM

I never did manage to see the last episodes of the series - did Jade ever acknowledge not totally hating Tori?  I did like their relationship as it developed but I always hoped it would end on a somewhat positive note. 

There wasn't a huge declaration or a mushy moment but the last episode had Jade jumping to spend time with Tori instead of having to go to some race event with Beck and Tori helped her out. We then saw them hanging out. Sure they bickered a lot as usual, but they did actually seem to enjoy hanging out. And it wasn't one-sided just Jade bugging Tori, Tori gave as good as she got, knew which buttons to push. I think by that point Tori wasn't taking Jade's digs seriously anymore, that was just how their friendship was. So I'd say it ended on a good note.

Re: Tori, I agree that Victoria really helped in making her a likeable character. I did like her too. But main character or not the fact that in-universe Tori was always naturally the best at everything was a bit grating. Sometimes she had to compete to get something (and of course ended up "victorious"), and many other times she just happened to be the lead at any solo/play/whatever and we didn't know if they had had a competition beforehand where Tori blew everyone out of the water or if that was just automatically assigned. 

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

Jade would like Tori only when Tori helped her in situations. But Jade would never fully accept Tori's presence in the limelight.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 9:16 PM

I don't know, Jade is always happy when ever Tori is performing and she actually did let her perform at that award show.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 2:26 PM

Jade only let's Tori have it when they event doesn't suit her or she needs Tori to solve her problem.

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 12:54 PM

I saw some early episodes last week, and it really drove home how much they dumbed-down Kat over the years.  Even her later-seasons voice is different/dumber/more ditzy!

She was so cute in the early seasons.  Ditzy, and naive, sure, but she still had life skills.  But by the end, the way the portrayed her made you wonder how she could even get by in life.  I can't watch Sam and Kat; it would be pure torture.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

She was ok up to mid Season 1. After that, even Sinjin was so much better that her.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 5:13 PM

Elizabeth Gillies was cast in Denis Leary's FX pilot.

http://www.thewrap.c...izabeth-gillies

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 5:45 PM

She knows how to branch out beyond Nick unlike Grande.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 7:51 AM

In my opinion, it's likely because Liz simply has more range as a performer than Ariana and Victoria.  I think once the cute pop singer/Nick star thing fades for both of those girls, they'll fade into obscurity; I believe that Liz has staying power.  She's done comedy, drama, can sing ANYTHING (and act while/with her singing) - and does it all well. 

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 8:06 AM

I hope she gets her album out soon and bust away the pop stuff of A Grande. I personally don't see why that girl hit the charts at all--people are buying her songs because of her cute image.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 6:35 AM

I think Ariana is tremendously skilled vocally, but her original songs are incredibly boring and unoriginal, and I'll never forget her hideous cover of Vienna - she clearly didn't understand the song at all. 

Although I like Victoria more as an actress and personality, I don't think she's that great of a singer.  She's good but she sounds like dozens of other people. 

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

Ariana can sing and her songs are catchy. I mean better her than someone whose not musically gifted I guess.

As for Victoria yeah she's a thousand times better as an actress than a singer. Her voice is not bad. I like her low register I guess but I just don't think she'll make it as an artist. I don't think Liz will either if I'm being honest. She's my favorite singer out of the three but she doesn't have that It factor that Ariana has. She'd make it more as an actress.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

Liz can sing. Ariana's voice is too high and her album music is too digitally altered. Plus it's again her cute girl image that attracts people to buy what every she's selling. 

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 4:34 PM

Ariana's fanbase is quite young. They are the type that tend to also like Justin Bieber and One Direction. I don't see Ariana having much longevity beyond that as a singer with the current material she has. Eventually young kids move along to the next big thing and their is one of those every few years. Then again, I've said that about other popstars who are still around to my dismay. 

Liz and Victoria probably will have more longevity as actresses but I definitely wouldn't count Liz out as a singer. Not everyone is interested in being a bubblegum popstar. There are other genres of music that I think Liz would do better in to be honest. This new show, which also centers around music, should give her the chance to both stretch as an actress and perform music that isn't of the Disney/Nick variety. I hope it gets picked up. It should with Denis Leary's name attached to it. FX has a long history with him. I can't see them passing on one of his shows. 

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 3:40 AM

Eventually young kids move along to the next big thing and their is one of those every few years. Then again, I've said that about other popstars who are still around to my dismay.

I'm still shocked that Katy Perry wasn't a one-hit wonder. "I Kissed A Girl" SCREAMED one-hit wonder.

My guess is that if any of these people are still around in their 30's, it's going to be Liz and Avan. Avan especially. I actually sat through a couple episodes of that horrid Twisted show for him. He really does have that elusive "it" factor to him- I'm hoping the show gets cancelled and he goes on to other stuff.

Edited by MethodActor05, Mar 24, 2014 @ 3:40 AM.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 5:17 AM

Oh forgot about Avan.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 6:53 PM

As pretty as Avan is i don't think he really has the "It" factor. If anything Twisted showed how limited he truly is as an actor. He does have charisma so I give him that but their are so many pretty guys. I just think he'll get lost after Twisted is canceled. That show is dreadful and even he deserved better.

I'm still shocked that Katy Perry wasn't a one-hit wonder. "I Kissed A Girl" SCREAMED one-hit wonder.

Then she did Teenage Dream and that album was actually pretty good for a Katy Perry album. Ha.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 12:10 AM

I'm watching Birth week, I can't believe Tori didn't fall for Andre when he was singing to her. Dudes voice is beautiful.

I know. I always thought the Andre and Tori would get together. They always got along and were very touchy-feely with each other. In an innocent, Nickelodeon way, of course.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 6:58 PM

Romantically? No. Friendship? Yes.They were lucky to find six of them.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Liz Gillies interview.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 8:58 PM

I haven't checked back here in a long time, but in light of the forums closing, I just wanted to say how much I genuinely enjoyed discussing Victorious with all of you. I still can't quite pinpoint why this show and these characters spoke to me so much, but I genuinely loved it and had a lot (... a lot) of feelings. It was just really fantastic to have other people out there who were also happy to over-analyze it and see it as something worthy of legitimate discussion instead of just writing it off as a silly kids' show. 

(and thanks for the heads up about Sam & Cat episodes featuring Jade because eeeeeee) 

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

no problem....

I prefer IMDB.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 10:16 PM

Yeah, Victorious was a good one and fun to discuss. The show actually had a bit of depth to it, much like iCarly which made it easy for my old ass to get into.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 6:14 AM

Victorious way way better.

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 12:52 PM

They had a bunch of Dan Schneider casts up on stage to give him the Life time achievement award. Victoria, Avan, Leon, Matt and Ariana were all up there along with Kel Mitchel, Drake Bell, Nathan Cress, etc... It made me feel old seeing Kel up there. I loved the hell out of All That and Keenan and Kel. Oh and Ariana and Victoria must've squashed their beef because they took some pics together and I think Jennette apparently was not invited to the Kids Choice Awards and well that didn't go so well with her.

This show was a really nice way to get the kids and the adults to sit down and watch together. A lot of the jokes probably went over the kids heads but it was family friendly enough for everyone to watch.

Phd8511

Phd8511

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

Oh...I don't watch the KCAs. At least VJ returned.