Victorious

• Please log in to reply

928 replies to this topic

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Robbie can't have a girlfriend--he's just not shaped to have one.

What does that mean? Robbie is on the skinny side, but he looked fairly toned in the episodes where they've had him shirtless (and those skinny boys are often "bigger" elsewhere).

I saw "Tori the Zombie" the other day and Cat was a different character. I like it when she isn't so completely idiotic and god, whatever director told her to start talking in this affected baby voice needs to be shot.

I agree. She did have one "non-baby voice" line -- I think it was the "getting a driver's license like any normal teenage girl."

"Tori the Zombi" is good only for the song, because the rest of the plot is just awful, except for Trina and Cat's road trip.

I wonder why Tori never noticed the shovel through the rear-view mirror.

I love that it wasn't acknowledged at all. I think Jade likes messing with Tori's mind, so I don't really see that they're becoming friends. I need Jade to do Tori's "Let's put on a show" voice again.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

There are a few eps of this show that I'll watch again, and others that once is enough. This last one falls in the latter category. The only really good part of this ep (as others have noted) was Jade and Tori's car ride. It wasn't over-the-top, wacky humor. Just a preternaturally calm Jade and an increasingly nervous Tori. And a shovel. (Hee!)

I'd list other eps that fall in the latter category for me, but there's too many. Mostly, I'll watch for a certain bit (usually involving Jade doing her Tori voice) and then change the channel. I will say that Tori the Zombie doesn't fall in that category for the simple facts that a) the plotline has a beginning, middle and end, something that you can't always expect in a Dan Schneider show; b) it has a catchy song at the end and c) Trina and Cat in a car.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Also, I notice Victorious gets the lion's share of the budget as well comparing episodes.

I doubt that, a year or so ago there was a list of TV's top paid teen stars, Miranda was #2 on the list (behind only the kid from 2.5 men) at something like $180,000 an episode. Victoria, by comparison was near the bottom of the top 10 at something like $12,000 an episode.

If it looks like Victorious has more to spend (not sure that I notice it myself) it's likely because Miranda is making more than the entire Victorious cast combined.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

I call that salary amount excessive capitalism. It's not to so Victoria won't negotiate that pay soo and after all, iCarly has existed (unfortunately or fortunately) much longer that Victorious.

Robbie is too far away for a relationship--that part the character got right.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus only made around $10k on their popular shows as well. I think Miranda Cosgrove was a special case where she was very very serious about walking away from the show not just bluffing (she doesn't seem as into fame as the others and actually seems to actively fight against it) at a point where iCarly was getting insane ratings. Ratings few other kids shows have ever matched. Ratings few other shows of any kind could match (not anymore). Plus, Jennette McCurdy makes more than Victoria Justice did then, too (VJ probably makes more).

I think the salary difference is funny because iCarly is one of the few types of these shows that is very clearly and solidly an ensemble and not a star vehicle unlike Victorious. iCarly is like Seinfeld for kids. Seinfeld was nominally about Jerry but it was really about the four friends each necessary for the show to work. If Jade left it would suck and I wouldn't watch it. But it wouldn't take away from the plot which is Tori's life at HA. If Sam left they would have to scramble to explain why the show she co-hosts on an equal basis no longer has her in it. For instance, there have been several episodes where Sam isn't available or fighting with Carly and can't do the show and it is a big deal Carly can't do it alone whereas Tori likes to work with Andre on her music but can easily perform songs by herself or act by herself.

Speaking of ratings Victorious has been slipping lately, as well. The last episode got a 1.9. Nick has been really suffering lately with the ratings.

Edited by Cherith, Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:56 PM.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Speaking of ratings Victorious has been slipping lately, as well. The last episode got a 1.9. Nick has been really suffering lately with the ratings.

Then again, with Nick's random programming, it's not that surprising. I still wonder how they're expecting to get a faithful growing audience by airing an episode every once in a while without rhyme or reason.

If it looks like Victorious has more to spend (not sure that I notice it myself) it's likely because Miranda is making more than the entire Victorious cast combined.

Well, on one hand, most of the iCarly cast gets serious money, if only by their seniority on screen, which probably eats a good chunk of the budget ; on the other hand, Victorious has a cheaper cast, so most of the money probably goes into new sets. And the show has exteriors, with the tables outside of the school. So yeah, that's probably why Victorious looks less "studio-y" that iCarly.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I think Miranda Cosgrove was a special case where she was very very serious about walking away from the show not just bluffing (she doesn't seem as into fame as the others and actually seems to actively fight against it) at a point where iCarly was getting insane ratings.

Also she has tenure with the network. She started Drake and Josh and then immediately started iCarly afterwards and I think with Victoria, Dan Schneider didn't get the idea for her star vehicle until Nickelodeon asked him to make it.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

As I said, there's no stopping Victoria for asking the same levels of pay soon but I hope she doesn't. the pay doesn't match the show. Yes, they are all talented but I think it's overboard over that number. Wait till you really break into the movie world first.

iCarly is not Victorious. In Victorious you don't really have a single star to promote (although that's the case how both started off). In Victorious you six individuals of almost equal calibre. No one expect iCarly to bring out Jennette or Nathan to some lesser extent. To have an extremely high paying star amongst equals would be a danger.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

As I said, there's no stopping Victoria for asking the same levels of pay soon but I hope she doesn't. the pay doesn't match the show. Yes, they are all talented but I think it's overboard over that number. Wait till you really break into the movie world first.

I strongly disagree. Nick makes so much money off of these shows. Advertising, products, iTunes sales (music and episodes), DVDs etc. They make so much money. There is absolutely no reason these kids should have to make less than their adult counterparts would on a show on a different network when they actually bring in more revenue than many shows do. It is explotive to expect stars to sit back and not ask for a bigger share of the huge revenues they generate.

Victoria Justice makes more money for Nick than she would for any studio she was making a movie for. Above you said salaries like Miranda's is excessive capatilisim but it is really the opposite. Increased salaries for increased profit is how it should be. Nick making more and more money while continuing to pay less is excessive capatilism (all of the wealth held by the corporation and not shared). You wouldn't say the team who worked on the iPhone shouldn't expect more money from Apple after it was a giant success.

But Victorious has never and will never get anything close to the ratings iCarly got in its height (season 3) so she probably isn't quite as valuable. Although, iCarly doesn't have that iTunes revenue but in the end Nick is a tv network and they need ratings. Nick is the reason for its current woes but still a 1.9 isn't going to cut it.

Well, on one hand, most of the iCarly cast gets serious money, if only by their seniority on screen, which probably eats a good chunk of the budget ; on the other hand, Victorious has a cheaper cast, so most of the money probably goes into new sets. And the show has exteriors, with the tables outside of the school. So yeah, that's probably why Victorious looks less "studio-y" that iCarly.

Yeah, I also think iCarly is a more intentionally artifical world than Victorious. Everything is so bright and big. Victorious's sets generally feel more natural. Some of the "cheapness" is really just reinforcing the cartoonesque style of that world.

She started Drake and Josh and then immediately started iCarly afterwards and I think with Victoria, Dan Schneider didn't get the idea for her star vehicle until Nickelodeon asked him to make it.

True but I do think he had Victoria Justice in mind himself. That is why he used her for Shelby Marx on iCarly after her Zoey 101 run was up to keep her in the mind of the network and viewers.

Edited by Betsyb, Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:54 AM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

It was the promotion of the individual and over promotion of the individual that happened with iCarly. But to me, the individual's salary does not match what was "done" on her behalf.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

There's a new Victorious hour special coming up. There's a scene in this commercial which make people angry...

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

In regards to payment: I don't know how true this is for Victoria Justice, but I remember reading that while Miley Cyrus didn't get paid that much for Hannah Montana (at least compared to people like Miranda Cosgrove or Angus Jones), she got so much money in related revenue (e.g. concerts) that it ended up being as if she was making that much money for the show. While I doubt Victoria Justice brings in the venue as much as MIley Cyrus does, I wouldn't be surprised if she was getting a lot of income from sources outside just the pay per each episode that evens things up.

Not that interested in Tori Goes Platinum, at least based on the ad. Seems like a fairly stale plot to be honest (I thought it was kind of cliché when Power Rangers Dino Thunder did it back in 2004). I'm actually more interested in this week's episode, as it looks like we might finally find out how the heck Trina actually got into Hollywood Arts.

Edited by Lord Seth, May 4, 2012 @ 12:11 AM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

So Sikowitz was high as a kite off coconut milk during Trina's audtiton and that's how she got in to a high school for talented performers. Thanks for answering that one Dan.

Edited by Limbonaut, May 5, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

I thought for sure that they were going to make it so that Trina's audition was so bad that it made Sikowitz go bald. And also that the bad coconut milk trip would make him hallucinate that she could actually sing and dance well, instead of just being impressed by her imaginary costume changes. Ah well.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

I'm just glad the first version they showed where Trina did have a beautiful voice that gon ruined when Sinjin hit her with a light, proved to be false! That would have been actually tragic.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

I'm just glad the first version they showed where Trina did have a beautiful voice that gon ruined when Sinjin hit her with a light, proved to be false! That would have been actually tragic.

True, but it was also the only version of Trina's audition that I actually laughed out loud at.

And also that the bad coconut milk trip would make him hallucinate that she could actually sing and dance well, instead of just being impressed by her imaginary costume changes. Ah well.

Yeah, I was expecting that too, and it's too bad because it would have given Daniella a non-Trina moment in the spotlight.

I like Robbie and Tori together, and I enjoyed their plot, but what the hell is the deal with Schneider and his preoccupation with feet?

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Bra Fetish.

Foot Fetish

Not really good.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I liked Andre and Jade's versions the best. Way more believable and ten times funnier than the real story, IMO. But Danielle looked so cute as a fourteen year old, braces and all. But yeah, I agree with whoever pointed the fact about Sinjin. Either he failed a grade or is purposely staying behind. If he had only been mentioned in Andre's story, then I might have fanwanked that Andre always imagined Sinjin as an older senior who repeated a grade.

I like Tori and Robbie having a subplot, but why couldn't Boss Lady (I keep forgetting her name. Ms Chang?) just let Tori or Robbie get the money and come right back? Or why didn't she let one of them use the phone at the restaurant? Or why didn't she just make them pay the next time they came back? Oh well, I guess it was more for humour, which worked out until the end.

Cat made me laugh a little bit, although I wish Dan had toned down on the joke. I mean, it was funny but it kept coming every three seconds and I wish it only happened once or twice per scene, not five times per scene. I like Beck, but he's oh so boring.

Poor Trina, though. Once Sikowich realized his mistake, he should have done something about it instead of saying 'oh well' and keeping her in the school to fail. And is she actually failing or are they all passing her? And why did all the teachers have to go help Sinjin?

I think way too much with this show lately.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

I'm convinced Hollywood Arts has a middle school and a high school - Mrs. Lee had her daughter audition and she was little and in "The Great Ping Pong Scam," they flashback to two years ago. According to the pilot, the main gang are 10th graders, so that would put them in 8th grade. It would explain how Sinjin had been there for a year - Trina was auditioning as a current 8th grader and Sinjin was a current 7th grader who had started at the middle school the year before. (And I cracked up at the cornrows)

Anyways, I did not like this one, I don't think I laughed once. The Nozu thing just wasn't funny and was so easily resolved - why couldn't one of them go get the money and the other one stay there? If Nozu has a computer, why don't they have a phone? I can't imagine Tori going anywhere without her phone. I smiled at the line about the "fruit shaped telephones" but that was about it.

I should really lower my expectations for this show - silly me, I thought they would address how Trina got in in some compelling way. I really thought it was going to be something like she was decently talented (and I so wanted Daniella to have a spotlight moment), but let it all get to her head and stopped practicing. Instead we get Sikowitz on some janked up coconut milk. Lovely.

Some scattered final thoughts: If we're going to get a Bade reunion (which I don't particularly want), there had better be some build up because they're clearly still all kinds of displeased with each other. The line about Cat having candy in her bra would have been funny had she not actually then proceeded to be pulling out candy the entire episode, but I did love the return of S&M Jade with having the scissors in her boot and the line about how it wasn't "the good kind of torture."

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I should really lower my expectations for this show - silly me, I thought they would address how Trina got in in some compelling way. I really thought it was going to be something like she was decently talented (and I so wanted Daniella to have a spotlight moment), but let it all get to her head and stopped practicing. Instead we get Sikowitz on some janked up coconut milk. Lovely.

I know what you mean. I expected something like this to happen, but for once, I didn't want Trina as the butt of the joke. I wanted her to show some talent. Maybe she couldn't sing or dance, but maybe she got in for acting or fashion or something. Maybe she's a decent artist or a decent oboe player. Just something other than untalented. I mean, that was why I cheered Beck's version on. I mean, we've seen Trina do well at karate. At least that would have been SOMETHING better than Sikowitz being high. So that's why any of the versions shown would have been better than the actual version.

And I still hate Tori's attitude toward her sister. If this were a dramatic, more grown up show and Trina had heard the things about her, she would have offed herself episodes ago.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

If this were a dramatic, more grown up show and Trina had heard the things about her, she would have offed herself episodes ago.

If this show were more grown up and dramatic Trina probably wouldn't be in the school in the first place. A person like Trina would just chalk up anything negative said about her by her sister or anyone else as haters being jealous.

My favorite joke in the episode was that crazy hair everyone had in the flashbacks in spite of it only being 4 years ago.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

As far as i'm concerned, big meh on this episode, too. The restaurant situation was pointless and uninspired, and although i'm glad to see Daniella get her own episode/storyline, it was still seriously underwhelming.

On a more trivial note, Sikowitz looked much better with hair, in some of the flashbacks...

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Put me down as also being disappointed that Sikowitz's coconut milk-induced hallucination didn't include Trina seemingly singing her ass off--though, being Sikowitz, it being the completely ludicrous hallucination it was and his not reversing the decision that came from it later makes a certain continuous sense. They could have easily blended the two things without hurting either one.

As for the Nozu subplot...it was harmless at least, but not terribly funny. I think I actually wondered where Rex was at some point.

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Although I thought the gag with Cat and candy was overdone a bit, otherwise I really liked this episode and thought it was really funny.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

but I did love the return of S&M Jade with having the scissors in her boot and the line about how it wasn't "the good kind of torture."

Yes now you mentioned it, it is S&M. But if not too over the top with this re-use of line.

Mrs Lee thus got her revenge though it didnt seem like the scenario I expected.

Jade's version is the most believable of all.

vonnie99

vonnie99

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

I loved Trina the ninja...and the "chop the squid" song...but overall...meh!

Ms Joanne

Ms Joanne

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

My problem with this episode was the fact that Tori could post staust updates on The Slap using Nozu's computer so she could have just messaged or emailed one of her friends to bring her the money. I could not get past that at all so I really did not enjoy the episode. (petty but true)

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Okay, so I've been keeping up with this thread for months despite barely watching the show, generally watching reruns while having little to do. I only watched the last half of this episode, because I missed or forgot that it was hour-long. It was being recorded, however.

I'm sure I'm not the only one satisfied by the pushing of female bonds over hetero romantic ones. Personally, from the little I've watched of the show, I would've liked Tori/Beck if it wouldn't hurt Jade (though Jade/Beck is interesting), but it would, so this is better. I'm bland on Beck, he's okay and he meant well this episode, but I thought his speaking for Jade pushed her into accepting the offer when she was hesitating to hurt Tori. I'm also kind of bland on Tori, mostly I tend to feel sorry for her. Then Tori/Beck would be bland, so I can't say exactly why I would have liked it anyway(probably being too used to tropes in which overly nice heroine gets the guy the mean girl likes, it makes me automatically look for it. Also, I thought it was sweet that he believed in her when she was faking, and that that was probably due to him dating a girl who always puts up an act of meanness, so extra points to the writers for linking that with Jade, in my opinion. Even though I knew he would be wrong about her getting fired. Then the comment about the meat hats was cute.) Still, the Jade/Tori bond is interesting to me and I appreciate that the bad girl's relationship with the kind of wimpy heroine is really important to said heroine, more important than a guy she likes and who is nice to her.

I've grown less annoyed by the concept of stuffing songs into the show and promoting videos.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Yeah, I loved the pushing of female bonds. Obviously, Jade is awful to Tori regularly so I wouldn't be outraged if Tori and Beck hooked up. Tori owes her nothing. But I would think it is out of character. Because Tori has always seemed to really care about what Jade thinks of her. And has gone out of her way to get her to like her and such. So, I just loved how that worked out.

I also liked the connection of the act to the one Jade puts on all of the time.

Then Tori/Beck would be bland, so I can't say exactly why I would have liked it anyway

Well they are both attractive in a similar way. It is hard to hate attractive people being attractive together.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Yeah, I loved the pushing of female bonds. Obviously, Jade is awful to Tori regularly so I wouldn't be outraged if Tori and Beck hooked up. Tori owes her nothing. But I would think it is out of character. Because Tori has always seemed to really care about what Jade thinks of her. And has gone out of her way to get her to like her and such. So, I just loved how that worked out.

It was nice to see these friendships develop. However, Beck just looked creepy in this episode. I found his attempts to speak for both Tori and Jade to be condescending, and it was a little much that he would try to kiss Tori while she was in the middle of a crisis. Great timing! Tori not being interested because of her friendship with Jade was neither here nor there. You are right: Tori owes Jade nothing.

I loved the opening scene, where Sikowitz explained creating backstories. I also loved his Plankton imitation. I'm not sure what to make of the running gag: being caught in embarrassing situations with food? I think, though, that the episode was timed to the AI finale, being more concerned with cultivating appearances rather than talent.

I also don't get the appeal of Arianne Grande's voice. Maybe she was congested or ate a chunk of cheese--she sounded nasally (in a not so good way).

BTW, it sounded like "Naked in America", not "Make it in America". The "show some skin" line did not help.

Edited by Bad Thoughts, May 20, 2012 @ 8:37 AM.