Victorious

• Please log in to reply

928 replies to this topic

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

Nickelodeon did something at one point that made me feel a little weird - they re-recorded Tori's song for Trina with the tone of a love song and filmed the video with Victoria walking on a beach at sunset, a very romantic tone. I...they do remember what that song was about, right?

So it's not completely out of this world that "You're The Reason" can be a love song to a supportive significant other. Arguably it's a bigger stretch to make the song applicable to Tori and Trina's sisterly relationship, given their usual abrasive dynamic.

If I had just heard that song without context, I would completely think it was a song to a lover, so I thought the original context was stretching it more than anything else (especially given the performance...)

I also tend to look for a few redemptive qualities in Jade, because I feel like if she really his this horrible, evil person and that is the truth that her friends understand about her and they "put up with that", then they're all kind of horrible, too. It's easier for me to think they have a greater understanding of her and know that there's more to her than that, and more to Cat than her spaciness. Obviously, there must be more going on than the inability to count to three.

I entirely do this too - actually, I over do it. In-show, Jade will do things and I think that they're out of character, forgetting that the Jade of my headcanon is not ... exactly the character on the show.

And I agree about Cat as well - I think her homelife is really really messed up (the "I'm under my bed" muttering while Jade and Beck were fighting was a big hint) and her spaciness is a way of disassociating from it. I still find it annoying, but at least I can pretend there's a point beyond flanderization.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I'm going to show my age, but when Cat was holding the picture outside the house all I could think was "that's Shirley Jones," so I just kept waiting for her to show up. I thought that plot was pretty enjoyable, but it could have been better. Still, much better than last week's main plot.

I loved the subplot with the boys and Trina. Daniella once again proved that she's terrific at physical comedy and each of the boys had their moments too.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Yeah, the second they showed Shirley Jones in the picture I knew she wouldn't be dead. No way would they waste that. Which is good because I love me some Shirley Jones. Also, I liked the disdain in her voice when she said she was playing David Schwimmer's wife in The Dead. Also, "I Married My Mother" the TV show. I would have watched the heck out of that.

I grew up on Nick at Nite and love so many older sitcoms. And the only reason I tend to like Dan Schneider's shows (and Wizards of Waverly Place) is they really tend to be homage's to those old shows. Sometimes it swerved into out right theft like the whole Rex stuff just being an exact rip off of Soap but mostly it is nice homage but updated and different. So, I like when they bring on people like Shirley Jones. I just think that, while far from perfect, Dan Schneider is obviously just someone who loves TV and likes riffing on the conventions. In that sense, I honestly don't think Victorious (or more so iCarly) is that different from Community. Or that he is that different from Dan Harmon. Community is high quality with a different audience in mind but I think both are kind of cool in that they try to subvert and honor television and movies at the same time. But that is an aside.

Better than the string of mediocre episodes (except for maybe The Worst Couple) but still kind of meh.

I didn't love the subplot. I feel like I have no idea who Beck is. He seems so laid back that this elaborate plan to teach Trina a lesson seemed out of character. But, really, I just have no idea who is character is supposed to be.

I kind of love how honest Trina is about her plots and such (like how she just spelled it out for Beck why she lied). She is obviously totally self-delusional and lies all of the time but really her biggest flaw is being too honest about how desperate she is. I love Daniella Monet (who is supposed to be an amazing person, in real life, and gives a huge percentage of her pay check to animal charities).

Edited by Cherith, Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:01 PM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

CRF wasn't that great. Neither plot was about average at all. No explanation for the sudden interest in Trina--come on all of them have hated her vehemently in the past. And why the puppet scene? Already, the whole sub-plot was jerky but to introduce puppets? If there's one good thing, its th turkey cooking--though again not unique--Mr. Bean also once tried to cook a turkey.

The main plot was also rushed. No one out of three bothered to check against Cat (who is suppose to be forever dumb)'s claim about her dead actress? Car, Rain and Fire. First Car: nothing funny, Jade can drive, Tori failed driving, blah blah blah. Umbrella blown away--no joke. Hamster and robot--no joke to. Dead feet--I've seen better. Creepy clown--nothing much. Rain: Oh, drecnhed: So? Fire: Incredible that one candle can burn down such a rich house.

And there was NO REX. No REX is terrible; they wanted to make ian all girl's episode--which failed. And No Rex also meant that Robbie got what? barely a few minutes of screen time?

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

I didn't love the subplot. I feel like I have no idea who Beck is. He seems so laid back that this elaborate plan to teach Trina a lesson seemed out of character. But, really, I just have no idea who is character is supposed to be.

I was thinking the exact opposite. That pretty much solidified to me that Beck is the classic "Nice Guy" who isn't very nice. The guy who thinks he's nice but becomes an asshole by correcting or punishing others (like how he puts Jade in time out or treats her poorly to prove a point) to make them nice like he is, or who gets annoyed when people don't recognize how nice he is or don't give him what he deserves because he's just so darn nice (though I'm not sure we've seen those facets of his Nice Guy personality yet).

All of the guys were super creepy when they were bouncing around the house at the end after the puppet show in a very Clockwork Orange kind of way. Beck was okay to want to teach Trina a lesson, because to be fair about it, even though he seemed to kind of blow it off as something that was annoying rather than threatening, it was not okay for Trina to force herself on him. I wish he would've gone to a teacher or talked to her or told her off something instead of trying to deal with it in a way that Trina didn't understand because it's probably not going to help anything.

I also wish the show wouldn't have forgotten that Trina has previously been a pretty decent dancer.

I also kind of liked the girls' road trip and I liked the way Cat and Jade were dealt with. I wish Mrs. Partridge's house wouldn't have burnt down, though.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I was thinking the exact opposite. That pretty much solidified to me that Beck is the classic "Nice Guy" who isn't very nice. The guy who thinks he's nice but becomes an asshole by correcting or punishing others (like how he puts Jade in time out or treats her poorly to prove a point) to make them nice like he is, or who gets annoyed when people don't recognize how nice he is or don't give him what he deserves because he's just so darn nice (though I'm not sure we've seen those facets of his Nice Guy personality yet).

You make a good point. I don't think Beck has really become the Nice Guy, yet (one of my very least favorite TV tropes). But his need to teach people (mostly girls) a lesson rather than just confront an issue is annoying verging on creepy. I always thought iCarly nicely subverted the Nice Guy trope in that they never made it seem as though Freddie deserved Carly just because he was such a darn Nice Guy. Or that she was in the wrong for not wanting it. So, man, would I hate it if they got there on Victorious.

No explanation for the sudden interest in Trina--come on all of them have hated her vehemently in the past.

None of them were interested in Trina. They still hate her. They were just trying to teach her a lesson. But, as was said above, it makes no sense because her "lesson" wasn't really tied to her crime that well. And is unlikely to dissuade her from doing it again.

Creepy clown--nothing much.

I was just reading an article about John Wayne Gacy (the serial killer who occasionally dressed up as a clown) and how he may have had accomplices who were never found. So this clown thing actually freaked me out hard core. I have stated that I don't like Cat in the past (and I don't) but still the irrational side of me that forgot this was a kids show was was actually afraid she would not know to run away from that creepy clown.

Edited by Cherith, Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I actually really enjoyed this one - I was actually thinking it was competing with The Diddly-Bops as my favorite. Upon further analysis, I'm not really sure and I may have to watch it a few more times, but my first impression was good.

I wish Mrs. Partridge's house wouldn't have burnt down, though.

That was the one part I really really did not like. It just seemed really unnecessary.

I thought it was a good exploration of the character that was unexpected, but not inconsistent with what we've seen before. With some unfortunate implications, but there were already a bunch of those floating around with Beck. I agree with Ashe F about Beck generally being the nice guy who isn't that nice - I've theorized that he's just as nasty as Jade, but cares more about his self-image. We've never seen him have to handle anything like this before because Jade would normally just take care of it.

Beck's been established as laid back, but he also does get into things - the character of the Sleepover episode was fairly elaborate, same with the effort involved in 'falling' for Tori, tracking down the girl for Robbie in A Christmas Tori had to have taken some work... I can see him getting into something like this, especially given, as Cherith pointed out, his tendency to teach girls lessons as opposed to confronting it.

I was, however, not very impressed with Beck's acting skills and called it being a fake-out from the first sentence (I'm referring to the character, I'm not sure if Avan Jogia was acting like he couldn't act or... not. He hasn't exactly been given much to work with before). The stage fighting was impressive at least.

Edited by HalfwayThere, Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:12 PM.

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I agree with Ashe F about Beck generally being the nice guy who isn't that nice - I've theorized that he's just as nasty as Jade, but cares more about his self-image.

Pretty much. My alternate theory is that Beck knows he's an ass and does all of his grand gestures to prove that he isn't. Like, "Ugh, Beck is such an asshole." "No he isn't! He helped me that one time last month" I think he's all about winning people over to his side so they ignore his other kind of crappy behavior. Or maybe DS doesn't consider his behavior crappy, just behavior like Jade's that's overt, like yelling. Because yelling is much more horrible than letting groups of girls stroke your hair when you're in a committed relationship or going on random car dates with them. (I am mostly bothered because I think this is what Schneider thinks--that Jade is evil because she isn't polite, but that a lot of the things Beck does are fine and it'd be cook to hear Jade say, "You know, it's not like you've been an awesome boyfriend either." It would give me, personally, a great amount of satisfaction.)

I also agree--the stage fighting was really fun to watch.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Or maybe DS doesn't consider his behavior crappy

I really don't think he does - Jade is always painted as the shrill, obnoxious harpie, even though we've been given a ton of evidence (like the hair stroking and the car dates) that her jealously issues aren't entirely irrational. I can't think of an instance where we've gotten any indication that Beck is slightly in the wrong here too...

it'd be cook to hear Jade say, "You know, it's not like you've been an awesome boyfriend either." It would give me, personally, a great amount of satisfaction.

I really wouldn't mind Beck attempting to get back together with Jade and then this being her response. I like the idea of Jade realizing she doesn't need him and becoming a generally better person as a result.

(I'm generally very very internally conflicted regarding Beck/Jade and my opinion of this might change within the next five minutes. But that is how I feel right now.)

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Or maybe DS doesn't consider his behavior crappy

I really don't think he does - Jade is always painted as the shrill, obnoxious harpie, even though we've been given a ton of evidence (like the hair stroking and the car dates) that her jealously issues aren't entirely irrational. I can't think of an instance where we've gotten any indication that Beck is slightly in the wrong here too...

Agreed. I think the only time was when Tori admitted that she would also be really upset if her boyfriend were spending so much time with a well known star who was obviously into him in Jade Dumps Beck. But then it was swept under the rug with Jade being this insane person desperate to have him back and him finally coming around and taking her back.

I don't think we are supposed to think Beck has any issues. He clearly isn't as bad as Jade but he also isn't open and honest about how bad he is. I mean from what we saw he pretty obviously wasn't an awesome boyfriend. And I liked them! The only pairing I would prefer is Jade/Tori which will never happen. So they are pretty much it for me. But I do think he could be pretty shitty as a boyfriend. It was interesting when Andre liked her because he was pretty obviously in awe of her, and her beauty, and her talent. And her ability to just cut through the BS and make sure the song got done (we see that she is very driven in many episodes). You can't expect someone who has been dating someone for two years to still be in awe but some acknowledgment that in some ways Jade is pretty exceptional would have been nice. And, again, I like them.

I think they just haven't developed the character, at all. Who is he if he isn't Jade's long suffering boy friend? And they just use him as needed sometimes to be a jerk sometimes to be the hero. You can love or hate everyone else but they are who they are.

Edited by Cherith, Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:57 PM.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I loved the subplot with the boys and Trina. Daniella once again proved that she's terrific at physical comedy and each of the boys had their moments too.

Indeed. Trina/Daniella's reactions when Beck came to her danse lesson and touched her hand were gold. Fun subplot.

The girls' subplot didn't interested me as much.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

I didn't care for Tori/Jade/Cat's subplot, unfortunately. I was more interested in the Trina/Beck subplot.

As a girl with self esteem issues, I had to feel for Trina, like a lot. I know that Trina's made out to be the go-to character for mean remarks and 'humour' purposes, but if this was a regular show, by god we probably would have seen Trina in her room, crying her eyes out at the end of that prank. At least how I see it, Trina lied about Beck asking her out (not actually going out with her, but just asking her out) so guys could chase after her for once. Trina's probably used to guys asking Tori out so although she shouldn't have lied, I guess in her eyes, this plan was a good way of getting a guy to at least notice her.

Seeing the happiness and nervousness in Trina as she's getting ready for her 'date' with Beck was well acted. I wish her dad had been more considerate and tried to help more. But alas, for comedic purposes, he didn't care at all. The prank was kind of mean. Having three guys chase after Trina, fighting and scaring her and then pretending nothing had happened is kinda cruel. I don't blame Trina for running out to get her dad to stop all of this madness. She could have easily reacted differently and smiled at the thought of having three guys after her but maybe she thought it was suspicious.

Like I said, I think Trina does have issues with her self esteem. Although she may not vocalize it or show obvious signs, having a sister like Tori as well as having that type of personality has to be hard. All she wanted was a little bit of attention and Beck led her on to believe that she was worthy of the attention and then pulled the 'Gotcha' card. Personally, I don't like Beck, Andre or Robbie for pulling this prank. It was funny and well acted, but character-wise, I didn't like it.

But I know this is a comedy, so it was played for laughs. I just want Trina to get a guy on her own without judgement. Probably won't happen (unless it's somebody like Sinjin, unfortunately). But despite the flaws and how much I hated the context, I thought it's the best subplot I've seen on this show. I found myself laughing and enjoying this way more than the actual plot of the episode.

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

I don't think we are supposed to think Beck has any issues. He clearly isn't as bad as Jade but he also isn't open and honest about how bad he is.

IDK. I think he is as bad as Jade, because since most of Jade's nastiness is overt, she gives people a choice as to whether or not to be around it since they know she's going to be nasty. What she doesn't let people know is that she is anything other than nasty (like when she made Tori go and finish Cat's memorial speech for her actress, or how she helped Andre and seems to like her friends even though she says they aren't her friends). Jade's main problems seem to be anger and feeling like she's been wronged in some way and that no one is on her side (and obviously no one is ever on her side because she's so mean to everyone, and is probably mean to everyone because she's afraid to be vulnerable, etc).

Even though Jade has done some horrible stuff, Beck has been there for the last three years of her life right next to her and has encouraged/not stopped a lot of it. He may have even hung out with her in the first placed because he liked that she was so aggressive and liked that she said all the horrible things and he could sit back and still be the nice guy. (Though there's no canon evidence to support that.) Besides, I think his weird controlling behavior and general dickishness is just as bad as Jade's acting out if not worse, because I think Jade might always be a bit cruel and sarcastic but some of her more outlandish behavior and anger are a product of hurt and sadness, and will probably lessen if she ever comes to terms with her issues with her insecurity and her father.

Not that I don't like Beck, because I do.. I actually like all the characters and think the actors are great, but there's almost something a little misogynistic about the Beck/Jade dynamic that I really wanted to be realized in a fun consentially messed up relationship.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Daniella carried that episode. It was the perfect mix of all Trina's personality traits: clueless, conniving, passionate. As much as it was obvious she was being set up, I actually thought that Trina-Beck would be an interesting matchup (not any less dysfunctional than Jade-Beck). I was disappointed that trina really did not get to react to the ruse.

The A-plot was a waste of time.

Edited by Bad Thoughts, Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:14 PM.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Daniella carried that episode. It was the perfect mix of all Trina's personality traits: clueless, conniving, passionate. As much as it was obvious she was being set up, I actually thought that Trina-Beck would be an interesting matchup (not any less dysfunctional than Jade-Beck). I was disappointed that trina really did not get to react to the ruse.

I disagree that Beck-Jade is dysfunctional. Beck-Jade only becomes so if there's Tori around or Tori involved--Pilot, Beck's Big Break etc etc.

This episode forced Trina to take a new position and thus Daniella had to alter the acting. I don't like it but that seems to be the route they are taking with the break-up. I wouldn't mind the boys to be in one plot (or ignore Robbie since he's not classified as a proper boy) but not of this angle--nothing made sense at all. I don't like the girls to be together. Tori should stand alone--or stay comfortably with Andre. Jade-Cat makes the best pairing--as seen in this episode (ignoring Tori) and the previous.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I disagree that Beck-Jade is dysfunctional. Beck-Jade only becomes so if there's Tori around or Tori involved--Pilot, Beck's Big Break etc etc.

What about Wifi in the Sky? Or whatever was going on with them in Tori Tortures Teacher? And the clip of them in the car that was on Robarazzi? And the 'timeout' in Beggin' On Your Knees? Jade Dumps Beck?

And what about the smaller moments where Beck is very much being flirted with, but says and does nothing that indicates he has a girlfriend - Freak the Freak Out? Locked Up?

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

That was just mistrust which is still a common trait of Jade. Dysfunctional is the wrong term to use.

Mistrust in a relationship is dysfunctional de facto. And in a number of cases, it's symptomatic, not causative.

This episode forced Trina to take a new position and thus Daniella had to alter the acting. I don't like it but that seems to be the route they are taking with the break-up.

A new circumstance, but not out of character. Trina has often been overeager to please anyone she wants to win over.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Thank you Kaoteek :)
(Although I'm female, I can see where there may have been some confusion due to how I'm inordinately obsessed with Liz Gillies's appearance)

I am nitpicky - I love this show and paying attention to small details is fun for me. But I don't think Beck and Jade's dysfunction is in the details so much as blatant:

That was just mistrust which is still a common trait of Jade. Dysfunctional is the wrong term to use.

Mistrust in a relationship is dysfunctional de facto. And in a number of cases, it's symptomatic, not causative.

I completely agree with this - I think Jade is inherently a jealous person, but Beck's attitude has caused it to escalate. (Wifi in the Sky, she actually says "you just love making me jealous," which I really wish was something had been seriously addressed.)

As to whether what we've seen in show makes their entire relationship dysfunctional, ymmv (I toy with the theory that they are different together in private, but I'm feeling cynical tonight, so that may just be wishful thinking on my part), but they have had their moments and I think overall, the relationship really wasn't healthy for either of them.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought Beck was kinda being a jerk. Granted, what Trina was doing wasn't cool but that was over the top in order to get her back. Speaking of Trina, I remember somebody here theorized that much of the responsibility of watching over/caring for Trina goes to Tori due to her being hard to handle and boy was that clear in this episode. Her father basically didn't even listen to her.

I though the main plot was good, and I did like Cat here. It didn't really bring out anything new, but it was nice seeing her be somewhat aware and mourning her favorite actress.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

As to whether what we've seen in show makes their entire relationship dysfunctional, ymmv

YMMV, indeed. I'm not sure that Jade is overly jealous, but I agree that we didn't see enough of their relationship to know really how they interacted. Sikowitz tells Jade that she is "lucky to have Beck," but I'm struggling to remember some scene where it's obvious. Containing Jade's mean girl doesn't really count. On the other hand, if we were talking about a real-life marriage, I would think that the relationship was salvageable.

they have had their moments

Unfortunately, some of the best indications about what they might be like together are based on how they interact with other people: Beck helping Tori with her stunt and Jade helping Andre with his song.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought Beck was kinda being a jerk

Pretending to be interested/in love with someone is always the classically awful prank that leads to "Carrie"-style retaliation.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

(Although I'm female, I can see where there may have been some confusion due to how I'm inordinately obsessed with Liz Gillies's appearance)

And i'm french, so my her/his/its tend to get messed up if I post while watching something on tv at the same time (ie the Oscars). :p

That said, to stay on subject (Beck/Jade) : of course it's dysfunctional to a degree. But then again, none of Jade's relationships are normal and functional, there's always some sort of conflict, at one point or the other.

It's Jade.
She's complicated.
"Deal with it."

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I thought the episode was ok. I didn't really care for the girls subplot because I thought Cat was being unreasonable ninety nine percent of the time. I also didn't really like how mean the actress was when they went to her house. I did think it was weird funny how long Tori stood there when Lana was spraying her with the water gun.

The Trina subplot was interesting. I was so confused because has missed the scene where she assaulted Beck with her lips in the hallway and made up lies about their relationship. All I saw was him kiss her and tell her he wanted to be with her and was thrown for a minute. I don't think that Trina will learn her lesson but I do think she will maybe pause before she makes up a lie about the boys again. I don't feel bad for Trina, most of what she does she brings on herself.

On the Beck issue, I like Beck. He's in my top three of favorite characters after Tori and Andre. I don't think he ever has pretended to be nicer than he is. I think he does have a dark side but he dated Jade for three years, there is obviously something about her twisty personality that he likes to stick around for so long in vice versa. I don't think Jade would date anyone who wasn't on her level.

I do think that Jade is insanely jealous. Beck would probably have to have "Jade is my girlfriend," as his conversation starter with any other female in order for Jade to be ok with them talking. I think him making her jealous is something he likes to do maybe to tease her for being so jealous and maybe it's just one of their things as a couple.

I dunno I think they really work as a couple even if it is a bit dysfunctional. Their wiki page kind of makes me appreciate their relationship more than I do from watching the show. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://victorious.wikia.com/wiki/Bade

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

I dunno I think they really work as a couple even if it is a bit dysfunctional. Their wiki page kind of makes me appreciate their relationship more than I do from watching the show. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://victorious.wikia.com/wiki/Bade

See, I think they work as a couple, too, as long as they both acknowledge the imperfections in their relationship and consent to them. If Jade is aware that Beck has some authority over her and is cool with it, and Beck is aware and uses that authority responsibly, that's fine. If Jade is possessive and jealous and alienates potential female friends from Beck and Beck is okay with that, as long as they're both aware of this and alright with it, it's okay.. Actually it's not only okay but super complex and really cool and interesting. It's when the show places all the wrong doing on Jade's part and continuously paints all of Beck's behavior as superior when he's actually being weird and controlling and uses humiliation methods to punish her (which is super crazy if she's not into that) when I'm like, "Eh? Really?"

It's not really that big of a deal because I don't think very many people are getting life lessons from this show, and maybe I'm reaching, but there's a certain part of me which is a little angry about the statement that makes about women.. That it's not okay to be upset when we're treated the way Jade is treated by Beck sometimes, and if you do react angrily or violently to that treatment then you're a bitch. So I have to pretend she's okay with the behavior or I want someone to be like, "Look, dude, I know Jade was no piece of cake, but um, it's not cool to tell someone whom you know is super insecure that maybe you're going to break up with her or to kiss another girl in front of her to teach her a lesson, just, you know, fyi."

Obviously I have a lot of feelings about this, but I totally accept that it's a show and it's completely open to interpretation. I like the interpretations that agree with or expand on mine best, but all are just as valid until Schneider puts a stop to them, right?

Also, thanks for linking to that wiki, I've had fun with it.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:13 AM

I would agree with you more if Jade were a weaker character, I think. if Beck were that way with say Tori or Cat, I don't think it would work at all.

And from the bade page, what Elizabeth says about Jade really almost respecting and appreciating the fact that Beck does keep Jade in check kind of makes me ok with it. I think Jade is a strong girl and she wouldn't allow just anyone to walk all over her and/or tell her what to do. She knows that she is a handful and that she may be a bit abrasive but I think that the opposite is totally true for Beck. He really caters to her wants and needs, like going scissor shopping or having a date in the cemetery because those are things that Jade enjoys.

I love her responses to Beck trying to be nice to her. She's a pretty comical character that Jade. Reading that stuff makes me like her a lot more than I did before.

From the Bade wiki page:

Let's just say dating Jade isn't exactly a picnic all of the time. See, most girls love when you compliment them and go out of your way to make them happy. But with Jade, it's a little more complicated. She takes everyone the wrong way. So, for fun I've been super nice to her all week just to see her reaction.

Here are the results.

Monday:

Me: "Wow. Jade you look really pretty today."

Her: "So what?! Most days I look hideous?! Is that what you're trying to tell me? Why do you even date me if I disgust you so much?"

Tuesday:

Me: "I like that outfit you're wearing."

Her: "Oh 'cause it's got a little pink in it?! Well sorry if I'm not super-girly like all the other ditzes who walk around wearing bows and flowers and tacky pink dresses. I'm not your dress-up doll. Ugh!"

Wednesday:

Me: "Hey thanks for getting me a cup of coffee."

Her: "You say that like I never do anything for you! I feel so unappreciated!"

Thursday:

Me: "Here, let me carry that bag for you."

Her: "Don't use that tone of voice to me. Yeah, don't deny it! There was a tone!"

Friday:

Me: "Hi, baby."

Her: "So you don't even say my name anymore? Did you forget it? Why are you being shady?"

Sigh.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

I definitely don't have a problem with Beck/Jade and like them. A perfect world would have Tori/Jade but in this one Beck/Jade is just fine. But I jus think some acknolwedgment that Beck isn't always a picnic would be nice. And that some of his attempts to reign her in come off creepy and weird. I think when he isn't with someone so overtly horrible (and I love it!) he won't come off as such a nice guy.

Those Wikis can be fun but can distort reality a little bit. They aren't lies but they are just so skewed to one view that they can really block out everything contrary. If you look at the Bori wiki you will get a completely different impression. That being said, I remember that my neice showed me a Seddie one, which I thought was borderline insane (and still do) but they were right in that it did happen so there was something there.

Edited by Cherith, Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:21 AM.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

That being said, I remember that my neice showed me a Seddie one, which I thought was borderline insane (and still do) but they were right in that it did happen so there was something there.

To be fair, Seddie/Creddie created such an enthusiasm for some sort of relationship among cast members that DS and company acquiesced not once, but several times, and currently there are no relationships. The fans took the lead, but the producers and writers didn't see fit to make permanent changes.

But I jus think some acknolwedgment that Beck isn't always a picnic would be nice. And that some of his attempts to reign her in come off creepy and weird.

Beck and Jade were, for the most part, the archetypal high school power couple: the quarterback and the head cheerleader, re-imagined for an arts high school. She's high maintenance, he's aloof and (at times) condescending. I find that I am indifferent to their future, and Jade, alone, is far more interesting than as part of a couple. I couldn't care less about Beck.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I don't think Beck comes off as creepy and weird, he comes off like a sitcom character trying to explain basic human decency to your typical over-the-top sitcom mean girl. Or using a wacky sitcom method to try to reach a similarly over-the-top sitcom wannabe diva.

As for Beck being a "Nice Guy" (a term I hate when it's thrown against a tv character, since 95% of tv characters that aren't villains or "anti-heroes" displays some of those traits from time to time), the "Nice Guy" as I understand the term is characterized as someone who is insecure and unsure of himself and fears rejection from women, so he forges a friendship with a woman rather than ask her out on a date believing that his being nice to her will entitle him to a romantic relationship. Then, when she continues to not show a romantic interest in him, blows up and blames it on women not liking nice guys, and only wanting bad boys and jerks. The quotes, of course, indicating that the guy isn't actually nice, he acts nice to her because he thinks it will get him what he wants.

I think Beck is actually the antithesis of this. If anything he's the cocky, confident guy that "Nice Guys" complain about girls being interested in. Beck's also pretty genuinely nice to other people, both male and female for reasons seeming to have nothing to do with wanting to date anyone (other than the fact that he's a Dan S. character, and thus prone to moments of behaving totally out of character for the sake of comedy).

Edited by Perfect Xero, Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:07 AM.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Song for the episode this Saturday - "Take a Hint" sung by Tori and Jade.

I think this might be one of my favorite things that the show has ever done - I've found it incredibly catchy, they sound excellent, and I'm quite quite excited to see it in context

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

The song is so good. I approve in a "want it on my iPod" kind of way. I usually don't feel that way about the Victorious songs.

Dawnydiesel92

Dawnydiesel92

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

The song is so good. I approve in a "want it on my iPod" kind of way. I usually don't feel that way about the Victorious songs.

The only song I've downloaded is the slower acoustical-ly version of You're the Reason. But that was for a more sentimental reason. I heard it somewhere and it made me tear-y. My oldest (who is 11) asked me why on earth that made me cry. (My children are used to me crying, I'm a crier. Mad, sad, happy, etc...) I told him that some day I wanted him to have someone in his life that was "his reason". He matter of factly told me that *I* was his reason. So yeah, downloaded that sucker.