1-5: "Gimme Some Truth" 2009.10.22 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

211 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 10:41 AM

From zap2it.com:

Mark finds himself on the defense during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing; Janis wonders how her vision will affect her current romantic relationship; Olivia receives an anonymous message.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

OK- I'm with the CIA. Totally blaming China!

Wow! By the end of the episode I'd completely forgotten about the car getting blown to bits. And Janis! What an ass kicking dynamo. She better not die. Her girlfriend was a little pushy. I didn't really like the whole "what does a lesbian bring on a second date" joke vibe they seem to be going for, though.

And John Cho singing karaoke! Awesome. Love him and Agent Vreede together in their scenes.

So Aaron must have been the one to text Olivia and tell her- I don't think Stan would have done it. Aaron's accent was all over the place tonight, much fail on that front.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

Well, of course the last five minutes were ridiculous again, but at least there was a lot going on the rest of the ep this time.
Wedick's my new favorite character. There's a lot we don't know about him and I kinda like that he's sort of a scumbag. Cute reveal with POTUS.
Janis is a close second to Wedick, hope she pulls through. How badass was she in the street, though? Ah, Navi you coulda had that but you went too fast. Ah well, back to Charlie.
So it was awfully convenient that all the assassins appeared to be Chinese, that's gotta be a red herring.

Edited by AimingforYoko, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:06 PM.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

I thought this ep was great. Loved the political machinations.
Janis is such a badass. And John Cho doing karaoke! And finally Olivia knows that Mark is going to start drinking at some point - I was getting tired of that old TV trope "one character knows something and refuses to tell anyone".

raineyrain

raineyrain

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

I loved this episode.

Last week I was fairly certain I was done with this show but decided to stick through 1 more episode. Glad I did, it brought me back in.

Edited by raineyrain, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:18 PM.

Aden Blue

Aden Blue

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Is it wrong that I want Olivia to break up with Mark and go back to Desmond already? She is really annoying to me.

I heart Janis. Maybe she's in a coma from the gunshot and dreaming about the sonogram? Who knows but they better not kill her off, she's the main reason I'm watching the show.

How did the 4 guys escape the fireball and end up way outside the vehicle and in prime position for shooting?

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

Whoa. Wow. I was doing homework for most of the ep, but those last 5 minutes had me glued. Go Janis! Now, just don't die and your awesomeness will be complete.

Agree that the Asian attackers have to be a red herring. Did we ever see what exactly is was the President wanted taken care of? Just saying...

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:18 PM

C. B. Vance/Wedeck was THE MAN in this episode. Loved every. single. thing. he did. I knew that the kid in the apartment wasn't his, but I didn't twig that it was the president's secret child (I'm slow on the uptake on those kinds of things). I liked the political stuff, too. It gave the story some shading and I'm glad we got more insight into Janis and Wedeck.

And John Cho singing karaoke! Awesome. Love him and Agent Vreede together in their scenes.

THIS. SO. MUCH. Every one of their scenes was GOLD.

Very glad Olivia now knows about Mark's flash forward. I hope she confronts him about it.

Janis best not be dead, cuz I really like her. Not sure about her girlfriend, though.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

This episode was awesome, I can't believe how they ended it. I hope Janis survives, I really love her she's so kickass. This show just gets better and better every week and it's amazing how for all the drama they have these great funny scenes. I loved the karaoke scene.

The final shootout was great, I especially loved playing "Like A Rolling Stone" while all that action was going on.

NextRev

NextRev

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

Interesting opportunities for next ep...

Will Janis be the one to demonstrate that the FFs don't necessarily come true, by dying? (Not likely. And, apparently, what a lesbian brings on a second date is a loaded gun, and the chops to hit a target at 50 yards while bleeding out from a stomach wound. Hardcore!)

Will Olivia start tearing Mark a new one, now that she knows that he saw himself drinking? (Probably, and it'll be like, "show, get over your bad self; this is getting us nowhere". After all, both hate their FFs, both want them *not* to come true, and the only thing she has on him is his drinking. Which he can easily deny, btw. This revelation should bring them closer, not farther apart!!!)

Missed the first 10 minutes; gotta wait till it hits Hulu tomorrow.

Overall, not a bad ep. Cho should've just said "I'm dying in five months. Gonna party like it's 1999. Deal with it." instead of getting that melodramatic pause at the end of his line. Bleh, show!!!!

By the way, who's behind the multiple hits on FBI agents? The "Bad guys"? The POTUS? The nasty shrew of a politician who wants to be POTUS in six months? Hmm...

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

It would be interesting if Janis died since that would call every flashforward into question, but no way would they kill her off after only just establishing she was gay right? I mean, that's just wrong. I thought the alarm clock rolling around in her blood making track marks was kind of surreal.

I loved this episode, but then I've been liking this show since the beginning so I thought it was just me. Not just me then? It was good, right? Loads of action and new info, and I'm really intrigued by what's up with Stan. The dude just blackmailed the POTUS to get funding. That's hardcore.

Edited by pacejunkie, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:23 PM.

Accryleon

Accryleon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

This show should now be called the Janis show. All Janis, all the time. JanisForward, perhaps? FlashJanis seems a little too revealing...

And really? Asian assassins? A little much, to be honest.

I missed Doctor Pretty this episode. I guess he's too busy helping patients (and we still don't know his FlashForward!).

The funding plot was okay. At least we're over that hurdle, though.

Also, I'm even more concerned for Janis now. It's probably a given she'll survive the gunshot in order for her FlashForward to come to fruition, but she's a lesbian who becomes pregnant? Is she going to get raped?

mascan42

mascan42

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

It hadn't occurred to me that Mark's flashforward was so fractured because he was drunk off his ass in the future. I figured that was just how they were showing it to the audience, and that he had seen the whole thing himself.

It seems fairly obvious that Olivia's text message came from Aaron, even though it happened right after Mark confessed to Stan (for one thing, he didn't have any opportunity to send a message with Mark standing right next to him).

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

I knew there was a reason I liked Janis, she's a total badass that kills one guy with her ninja moves and kills the other one after being shot. She also seems to be a much better marksmen then Demetri, Mark and Wedick.

It is interesting that she's thinking about the baby while lying there bleeding to death. I hope she doesn't die, but I wonder if this will hurt her chances of getting pregnant? And that makes me wonder if those men were trying to change the future by taking out the agents in charge or is this the reason they all become more involved? Leading to Demetri's murder and Mark's flashforward of people coming after him.

This episode was the best so far, I hope they can keep it up.

MonkeyTrouble

MonkeyTrouble

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:27 PM

How did the 4 guys escape the fireball and end up way outside the vehicle and in prime position for shooting?

Not only that, but they also escaped a car that had just been crashed into at quite high speed, and a volley of gunfire and the giant explosion. And did so completely unscathed and unrumpled. That may win the prize for the dumbest scene in this whole series so far (which has been all too full of dumb scenes). I was actually laughing out loud. Did the writers hand over the reins to a group of 12- year-olds for that section?

It's a shame it was juxtaposed with the ones of Action!Janis, which were actually pretty well done and touching. I hope she makes it, and that her FF was not just there to give her something happy to think about while she was bleeding to death.

It was nice to see the chick who played Janis's GF again; I like that actress. She seems to be the go-to gal for lesbian love interests. The last time I saw her, I believe, was when she played Mandy's girlfriend in one of the early seasons of 24.

Overall, this episode was better than the last couple, even though we seem to be moving farther and farther away from understanding the event, and the characters seem less and less interested in dealing with the basic fact that THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE WORLD BLACKED OUT AT THE SAME TIME.

Edited by MonkeyTrouble, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:30 PM.

mascan42

mascan42

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

Also, I'm even more concerned for Janis now. It's probably a given she'll survive the gunshot in order for her FlashForward to come to fruition, but she's a lesbian who becomes pregnant? Is she going to get raped?

That occurred to me as well, especially since I recalled her being upset the last time we saw her flashforward. But this time we saw it, she looked happy.

Edited by mascan42, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:28 PM.

willagirl

willagirl

Couch Potato

I'm intrigued by the Asian assassins. The mystery woman who called Demetri had the Hong Kong skyline behind her. Still, I think the Chinese angle will be a red herring.

Everyone's said it already and I'll say it again. Janis was amazing! Taking out the second guy after being shot was the coolest thing on t.v. I've seen in awhile.

mezz98

mezz98

I'm intrigued by who sent Olivia that text (and I want to send them flowers). Why do I think it was the Senator (Clemente) or the POTUS.

I thought the alarm clock rolling around in her blood making track marks was kind of surreal.

Very.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:31 PM

Funniest part of the episode was when they introduced the President with the DUN-DUNNNNN chords of doom. I don't know why that made me laugh so hard, but it did.

For a change, I liked nearly everyone in this ep. Demetri and Vreede's double act was pretty funny and proves that John Cho continues to have chemistry with the entire cast.

I really liked the peek into Janis' life, and homegirl better not be dead. She and her girlfriend had good chemistry. I'm hoping the fade-out interspersed with her flash forward was her near-death realization that she did want a baby after all... which would be kind of lame, but WAY the hell better than killing her off at the end of her coming-out episode. I wonder, if the flash forwards hadn't happened, then Janis and Girlfriend wouldn't have had that awkward conversation about the flash forwards, then maybe Janis would still be at the gallery (or wherever) with Girlfriend. Maybe they would have been on track to get married/have the baby anyway. But now that the flash forwards have happened, the events change but they still push Janis toward wanting a child. Alternately, maybe she'll die and the flash forward future is completely junked.

I also really loved how cunning Wedeck turned out to be - what a total badass, blackmailing the motherfucking president. I was pleasantly surprised that the episode was so Wedeck-centrick, and then just straight up loved watching him play the game. Awesome.

I also enjoyed that Mark was brought down to earth... not that I wish any particular ill on the guy, but his messianic certainty in previous episodes was beginning to grate. Hopefully now that he's been forced to face reality, he'll be a little less annoying. I did kind of chuckle that he was giving the broody puppy-dog eyes to Senator Clemente.

Wow! By the end of the episode I'd completely forgotten about the car getting blown to bits.

Me too! I even had a little flash of "Why does this conversation sound familiar? Oh yeah, duh."

tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:36 PM

Ok, am I the only one who thinks that there's a doubt meaning in FlashForward? The old Nazi foreshadowed FBI chick liking the ladies a few weeks ago, but most dismissed it because she ends up pregnant. I will be keeping track of all these little clues from now on.

Ok. Mean, bitch Senator lady? Wow. She's sees herself as Prez. The real Prez makes her the VP candidate to keep funding her arch enemy, and arch enemy goes to the mistress and child to call in the chips.

Totally DC. Oh, and we're led to believe the Prez ordered the hit on the guys, but I think it was someone else. Do we really have to do the gov't is involved? Isn't that a bit cliche?

And what kind of foreshadowing was the gift rolly clock in a puddle of blood? Creepy.

Am I the only one who thinks Olivia *wants* to leave her husband, and the FF is giving her the means to? She just doesn't seem kosher to me.

The most intriguing character so far, to me, is Sanford. At least we know he isn't a boy scout! Any bets he took the fall for being the father of 'that woman's' child, as he covered for the would be Prez?

Hmmmm....

ETA: For an 8pm show, this one is pretty 'sexy'. Lesbian kisses and next week, hot, dirty sex scene with Merry.

Edited by tkdgirl, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:38 PM.

GoGoMasha

GoGoMasha

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:37 PM

This show should now be called the Janis show. All Janis, all the time. JanisForward, perhaps? FlashJanis seems a little too revealing...

ITA. They should have made Janis the lead character, she's freaking awesome. And Janis? Don't give up on your girl so easily. She's way into you, easy on the eyes, can take care of herself, and she can cook? She's a keeper! I'd have her baby, so should you. Oh, and PLEASE, PLEASE don't die! The show would completely suck without you.

Wedick is also pretty awesome. Blackmailing the president? Dudes got balls the size of the Epcot Centre.

Dumb, boring and annoying? Mark, Demetri, Olivia, et al. can all just f--k off for all I care.

Edited by GoGoMasha, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:43 PM.

humuhumu

humuhumu

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:38 PM

If Janis dies, then everyone knows the future can be changed. I don't think they'll reveal that so early. It would kill a lot of character arcs, especially Demetri's and Olivia/Mark's. (I also thought she was badass and don't want her to die!)

So, who else thinks that the bitchy VP-to-be was somehow overthrowing the President and that's why his vision was about being woken up in the night? Like, some kind of coup or something? After all, she wouldn't have been sitting around the Oval Office doing presidential duties at, what, 1am EST?

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:50 PM

Is it wrong that I want Olivia to break up with Mark and go back to Desmond already? She is really annoying to me.

Yeah, how can I like her so much as Penny, yet be so indifferent to her as Olivia?

If Janis dies, then everyone knows the future can be changed. I don't think they'll reveal that so early. It would kill a lot of character arcs, especially Demetri's and Olivia/Mark's. (I also thought she was badass and don't want her to die!)

I think they'll establish that flashforward visions are not inevitable, but I'd be very surprised if they offed a primary character in order to do it when it could be done so easily with a non-character. I hope not -- I want more Janis!

Mars in Gemini

Mars in Gemini

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

First-time poster here, and I'll try to be brief:

I've watched this show every week and been disappointed every week, pretty much. Things just weren't progressing, especially in the first couple of...well, I'd say until last week, actually. This week I finally felt we were getting somewhere, with a lot more intrigue and action. And maybe seeing less of Olivia and her tiresome fretting about her love life helped, too. Maybe now that she knows about Mark's drinking during his flash forward, she'll stop all this moping and do something proactive. Like what? I don't know, but anything's better than running and hiding from that kid's dad in the hospital.

Wedeck continues to keep me guessing. I'm glad he survived that ambush. The other guys were awesome, too.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see people coming to blows over their flashforwards on some kind of talk or reality show? Some of the main characters' visions would certainly bring drama. Or humor--think of where Wedeck was.

I'll keep watching, for now. I hope it doesn't lose the momentum.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

I just wonder if Janis getting shot in the stomach makes her unable to have children now, that would also make the flashforwards changable without killing her off.

But knowing this show, they don't really put much thought into everything, her getting shot is what will make her want to have the child she saw her self carrying.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

I thought the alarm clock rolling around in her blood making track marks was kind of surreal.

I focused in on that - the pattern totally reminded me of Spirograph!

I'm hoping the fade-out interspersed with her flash forward was her near-death realization that she did want a baby after all...

That was my guess as well. She survives, but now really wants to have a baby because life is short...

The only thing is, in her ff, she had no shooting scars on her big baby belly. And if it was actually the shooting that causes her to want a child, she shouldn't have been pregnant in her ff because she didn't have any interest in having a baby before the shooting. Unless her ff was just like Mark's - showing a future that happens because people blacked out and had their visions. But then she should have had a scar since her wound would be relative fresh...

And if she and her gf would have gone down the baby path anyway, somehow, then this shooting shows the future can be changed. Because if she were to get pregnant now (if she can, considering the damage maybe done by that bullet), she would have a scar. Maybe a minor change in the grand scheme of things, but a change nonetheless.

More questions...the Prez clearly wasn't dead since he had a ff. So why would that Senator see herself as President in her ff? Did the Prez get impeached in the meantime? Did he know he wasn't POTUS in his ff?

I also enjoyed that Mark was brought down to earth... not that I wish any particular ill on the guy, but his messianic certainty in previous episodes was beginning to grate. Hopefully now that he's been forced to face reality, he'll be a little less annoying.

Completely agree with this. Loved Wedeck when he realized the entire investigation he's responsible for is based on boozy imagery from someone who was loaded at the time.

Edited by izabella, Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:15 PM.

tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

More questions...the Prez clearly wasn't dead since he had a ff. So why would that Senator see herself as President in her ff? Did the Prez get impeached in the meantime? Did he know he wasn't POTUS in his ff?

Perhaps that woman and child become the scandal that brings him down. Its weird because he's called 'Mr. President' in his FF, but BitchyVP2b sees herself as Prez. Wonder if he had some sorta of surgery/injury where powers were temporarily transferred to her?

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

The only thing is, in her ff, she had no shooting scars on her big baby belly. And if it was actually the shooting that causes her to want a child, she shouldn't have been pregnant in her ff because she didn't have any interest in having a baby before the shooting.

It's possible that in the non-shooting timeline, Janis and her girlfriend's relationship progressed so well they moved to the marriage-and-baby stage quickly (which sounds kind of dumb when I type it out, but it's not impossible). But her lack of scars is a really good point.

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

Loved the shoot out at the end. Found it sexy.

Look it was Theresa from The OC and currently Numbers, which brings up the question how she was able to do both? And who played the President? I know I have seen him before.

Edited by liz26111, Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:19 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:20 PM

FlashJanis seems a little too revealing..

Kinda apt, since she put out on the first date. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
ETA:

And who played the President? I know I have seen him before.

Peter Coyote. He always plays somebody who's morally questionable.

Edited by AimingforYoko, Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:23 PM.