1-4: "Black Swan" 2009.10.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

157 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

From zap2it.com:

Mark thinks Demetri is letting his fear take over his life; Nicole reveals her shocking vision that involves a murder.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:02 PM

I knew Lloyd was involved.
I'm pretty sure this show was the first time Shaft and Bryant Gumbel were uttered in the same sentence.

Aden Blue

Aden Blue

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

Dr. Benford was seriously bugging this episode. Get over it already and stop almost killing patients cause of your personal problem with the flash forwards.

Somehow this whole epi was just annoying to me. Last week was bad enough with the German prisoner spouting Hebrew stuff. Now we've got the indeterminate-nationality blonde prisoner spouting Farsi stuff. These last two episodes have been kind of stinkers IMO.

Edited by Aden Blue, Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:09 PM.

kiki38

kiki38

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

""Invincible fearless black guy...like Shaft or Bryant Gumble."

I think it's my new favorite TV line ever!!

nejb1

nejb1

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

kiki38

""Invincible fearless black guy...like Shaft or Bryant Gumble."

I think it's my new favorite TV line ever!!

This? I'm still giggling about! The blonde bad lady freaks me out when she looks dead eyes into the camera.

So Lloyd's involved, but he had a FF right? He just didn't see Dr. B's face in it? Or is he only pretending to have had a FF?

Triptik

Triptik

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:15 PM

Ned looked a lot like a younger Ben Linus.

Any chance Peyton wasn't being drowned, but getting baptized?

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

I don't think the baptism theory holds water due to her just "falling/floating" away.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

So Lloyd's involved, but he had a FF right? He just didn't see Dr. B's face in it? Or is he only pretending to have had a FF?

He can't be pretending, because his vision corroborated Olivia's, apart from the fact that he says he didn't see her face which I believe, since he seems to not recognise her at all.

Ned looked a lot like a younger Ben Linus.

Wasn't he the guy that played Claire's dead beat boyfriend/daddy, Thomas? Anyway, he was hilarious.

No but I think the baptism imagery was intentional. It looked like the minister that was drowning her.

Edited by pacejunkie, Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:24 PM.

cyberpumpkin

cyberpumpkin

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:24 PM

Doesn't seem like she would be struggling against baptism though. Or feeling like she'd done something wrong. JMHO.

Can anyone tell what the Jesus t-shirt she got said on it?

oh shizzle

oh shizzle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

So, Mark can't ask his own daughter about her FF, but he has no problem asking the babysitter about hers? Ugh!

Invincible fearless black guy...like Shaft or Bryant Gumble.

Best line ever! I really like how this show incorporates comedy into each episode.
ETA:

It said "Jesus is my Episco-pal"

Edited by oh shizzle, Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:26 PM.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:26 PM

Something like, "Jesus is my Episco-pal"

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

Well, this episode was somewhere between "oh, cool" and "lol wut?" I enjoyed Demetri and Mark's eventual heart-to-heart, and I think the blonde terrorist's manipulation of Demetri was decently handled. I wasn't really into the pot dealer's Borat impression, but other than that, I liked that sequence.

Was Dr. Varley drawing Nicole the babysitter? Is that who he ends up with? That would be fine with me because they both seem like slightly useless characters (although Varley redeemed himself somewhat this episode with his Housian last-minute save).

Jack Davenport was wonderful and had the funniest lines of the episode IMHO.

Dr. Benford was seriously bugging this episode. Get over it already and stop almost killing patients cause of your personal problem with the flash forwards.

I can sort of understand her skepticism regarding Leather Pants Guy's vision... if they had pumped him full of drugs for an undiagnosed and purely speculative condition and turned out to be wrong, it would have been a disaster.

But, Benford's non-treatment of the Simcoe kid is pissing me off big time. That kid is her patient regardless of who his father is, and she's packing him off to other departments when he's not ready? I'm half-expecting Lloyd to sue the shit out of the hospital at some point.

cyberpumpkin

cyberpumpkin

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:45 PM

Thank you for the Jesus t-shirt replies. Probably means nothing, I just like to obsess over the little details :-)

I was frustrated with Olivia in this episode too. When it was suggested that the patient, Ned, could have Addison's, she should have at least considered it, done some kind of test or something, instead of dismissing it out-of-hand and almost killing the poor guy.

Great to see Charlie from Lost as Simon. So he thinks he is responsible? Wonder what he and Lloyd did?

j5cochran

j5cochran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:47 PM

Was I the only one who heard Olivia call Mark "the Shakespeare of ..." at the beginning of the episode? It was the Shakespeare of breakfast or the Shakespeare of eggs or something to do with the dropped Dr. Eggbert.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:51 PM

It looked like the minister that was drowning her.

That's what I thought too. Wonder if he saw her in his FF. He seemed to want to not really talk to her.

Forgive me for not knowing/remembering most characters names yet, but are the babysitter and Mark's friend(the guy with the beard) related? Daughter? Sister?

Edited by valny, Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:52 PM.

j5cochran

j5cochran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

valny: Forgive me for not knowing/remembering most characters names yet, but are the babysitter and Mark's friend(the guy with the beard) related? Daughter? Sister?

The AA sponsor Aaron's daughter (the one that is/isn't dead) was once upon a time the babysitter of Nicole the babysitter. Aaron recommended Nicole for the job at the Benford's.

How do I know? The exposition fairy mentioned it when Nicole and Aaron were talking by the river before she went back to work.

humuhumu

humuhumu

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Was I the only one who heard Olivia call Mark "the Shakespeare of ..." at the beginning of the episode? It was the Shakespeare of breakfast or the Shakespeare of eggs or something to do with the dropped Dr. Eggbert.

Didn't catch that, but I was amused at Fiennes' attempt at doing a bad British/French(?) accent (at first I thought Brit, but then he spoke a few French words).

The best part of this ep was Demetri/Mark's chase scene, battle, and heart-to-heart. John Cho in particular is just bringing it.

magicfrizbees

magicfrizbees

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:29 PM

During the initial scene (showing everyone passed out in the park) we saw quite a few birds (gulls mostly) flying around during the "event". But - amazingly - not one single person in the entire park was walking their dog, so no news on that front.

pleonasm

pleonasm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

I'm getting less and less impressed with each episode.

These characters just don't feel like real people to me. I don't think its the actors, but more the writing. Everything feels either really really false (John Cho cannot disclose info about his death until after pointless chase sequence) or just very contrived (terrorist girl offers Hannibal Lecter like wisdom for what reason?)

TPTB really are squandering a great premise here.

Marquis Carabas

Marquis Carabas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:35 PM

Was I the only one who heard Olivia call Mark "the Shakespeare of ?

I heard it too, made me chuckle.

Halfway through the episode I wondered if Doctor Suicide Flashed on himself as Doctor House.

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

Best use of "Oh, Lately, It's So Quiet" ever!

The blonde terrorist is awesome. I one day also hope to speak only in riddles. But in all seriousness, she's a decent foil for Mark. Or at least the bad foil. Courtney B. Vance is excellent as the good foil. He's like the only sane person in the office.

Mark's accent was. all. over. the. place. this episode. UGH.

I'm also distracted by John Cho's really small head. A poster mentioned it last week and it's all I can focus on now.

I don't believe for a minute that Lloyd didn't see Olivia in the flashforward. He's just a better liar.

I didn't like this episode because it had full-on "Lost" syndrome. I cannot stand when no one asks the logical questions and everyone acts like it's standard operating procedure.

Was Dr. Varley drawing Nicole the babysitter? Is that who he ends up with?

I think it was Janis. And he sees himself at the sonogram, the baby and girl and future ahead of him, and it changes his perspective . Which is why Janis crying, because as we learned from "Glee" last night, crying during sonograms is a television staple. And we didn't see him in her flashforward so it's likely he didn't see her, just the sonogram.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:55 PM

Dude. When John Cho had his hand on blond terror lady's head....

Wanted to be her.

Man, he was on fire tonight! Bringing the angst, the drama, the yelling, the punching.

And honestly, I don't know what you all mean that he has a small head. In a recent photo of him and Joseph Fiennes, I think Joseph's head was smaller.

So Dr. Varley was right about Ned's disease, but he still had to be operated on, because he was bleeding internally, right? Hydrocortisone wouldn't have stopped the liver bleeding, would it? I guess the lady he drew is the one he sees in his flash forward, when he has a girlfriend and feels he has a reason for living.

I would say the drawing looks like Nicole, but there's a chance they've already met.

So the only person Mark has admitted to that he was drinking in the FF is Aaron, right? Not even Demetri knows? But it sounds like he may tell Olivia next week - I hope Aaron keeps hammering away that he needs to tell her the truth.

Edited by lilith1930, Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:56 PM.

tkdgirl

tkdgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

Any get the feeling the priest is the one who was drowning the babysitter? His sudden departure was a bit odd.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Any get the feeling the priest is the one who was drowning the babysitter? His sudden departure was a bit odd.

I'm convinced it was him, and that's precisely why he practically ran away from her when she was seeking his counsel. He knew she was the one he was drowning. Maybe he knows why...but, of course, he won't mention that to her because, well, that makes him a murderer, doesn't it?

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

Olivia call Mark "the Shakespeare of ..."

It was "You really are the Shakespeare of cheesey dad humor."
Great line, but I have to agree with the person on IMDB who complained the hospital scenes are classic soap opera.

Edited by shapeshifter, Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:55 PM.

cadiai

cadiai

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Breaking Bad, Dexter.

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:03 PM

I figured it was going to get annoying pretty fast, but Bryce and his peppiness are really growing on me. I like him.

Agreeing with those who think it was the priest drowning Nicole - their entire scene together was ridiculously awkward, solely because of him. And the guy in her FF definitely did look like a warped version of him.

I don't think that Lloyd saw Olivia in his FF, but he clearly heard her - wouldn't he at least recognize her voice? That or he's a ridiculously good actor. Which, given the very end-- um, I don't know.

Olivia was awful though. Agreed with whoever it was upthread that said that Dylan's her patient, whether she likes it or not, and what she's doing is absurd/dangerous. That and totally ignoring Bryce because she doesn't want to give any credit to what she saw - intensely strong denial never does any good and she isn't anywhere near as awesome as Demetri is when it comes to it. So. ... She was irritating.

Lovedlovedlovedloved the scene in which Dem finally snaps, too, and punches Mark in the face. That was great. I'm definitely mostly in this show for him now; the angst tonight on his end was wonderful. I'm irritated by the blonde terrorist lady though, and unfortunately, not in a love-to-hate way. She just seems like. I don't know. An awful character and I'm not much of a fan of the way she's being played; certainly not in her last scene there.

Hee, count me in with those amused by Olivia calling Mark the Shakespeare of something. That and the fact that poor John Cho just got denied some burgers.

Liesl

Liesl

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:06 PM

The Eggbert scene was excellent.

I'm frustrated that Mark's spending his time chasing things that are out of reach (how much can he learn by going to Somalia? It happened 18 years ago) and not pursuing the obvious leads first. Ask your daughter what she saw!

potzrebie

potzrebie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

How did the blonde terrorist girl know what was being posted on the internet/Mosaic? Hasn't she been in prison since The Main Event?

And what happened to the suspect Mark and Cho chased down?

sepia

sepia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:25 PM

I'm getting less and less impressed with each episode.

These characters just don't feel like real people to me. I don't think its the actors, but more the writing. Everything feels either really really false (John Cho cannot disclose info about his death until after pointless chase sequence) or just very contrived (terrorist girl offers Hannibal Lecter like wisdom for what reason?)

TPTB really are squandering a great premise here.

I agree. There's too much exposition and they aren't really developing the characters very well. I hated the way the guy at the end announced, "We were responsible for the worst disaster in human history" so nonchalantly, as if real people actually speak that way.

I'll give the show a few more weeks, but I haven't been impressed since the pilot.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:26 PM

The blonde terrorist is awesome. I one day also hope to speak only in riddles.

I love how all the baddies are supervillains. We've had the Mad Midnight Bomber What Quotes At Midnight, the BirdNazi of Alcatraz, and now this gal? Seriously? Though, honestly, spiraling into the wackysphere can only help, IMO. If they're not going to go for logic, they should go for baroque.