Unsung

• Please log in to reply

620 replies to this topic

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

You are welcome. ; )

I forgot to watch the new season premiere of Rose Royce. Damnit!

Jip

Jip

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

How about adding The Winstons to the nominee list. Their drum loop from "Amen Brother" has been used in everything from Hip Hop music, to mainstream commercials (Amen Break). 18 minute from You Tube explains it all:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Amen_break

Here is the full "Amen Brother" Song:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GxZuq57_bYM

Edited by Jip, Mar 25, 2010 @ 9:32 PM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

Enjoyed the Rose Royce segment. They were the bomb back in the days. To this day hearing the song, "Car Wash" can make me get out on the dance floor. I had no idea they won a grammy for the soundtrack. Cool.

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 8:56 AM

The Sylvester episode was pretty good. They still play You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) in clubs every now and then I hear.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 2:57 PM

I knew nothing about Sylvester before this "Unsung" episode, but I had heard the "Mighty Real" song played. Man, I can't believe that there was a predecessor to RuPaul. Interesting voice, but he definitely was more about personality than pure talent. Plus, that's where The Weathergirls came from - that was a fun fact.

The Rose Royce episode was pretty much a "Behind the Music" template: group hires singer to put up front; singer gets much of the credit, and the attention of management; the bands gets jealous; the singer leaves; the band crumbles. Add to that the manager who takes an inordinate share of the money, and a band with no idea of the business, and we have a movie that everyone swears that they've seen a million times. Still sad though.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2010 @ 3:07 AM

I am continually impressed with how well researched these Unsung episodes are. I watched Stacy Lattisaw tonight. Highlights for me were remember the days I rocked the mushroom flip and that pompadour like snatchback like Stacy, side burn points and all. And what a surprise to see a young Puffy in one of her few videos. She seems to have a good life so I'm happy for her.

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

I'm glad that she's happy now. It seemed like she was really pushed into something she didn't really want to do. It was nice hearing her songs again. What a surprise to see young Diddy. I'm glad she didn't have any really bad experiences while growing up. And it sounds like she can still sing, so good for her.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

Stacy has a gift from God. I said it back when she first came on the scene and I say it now. Her voice was so beautiful the first time I heard it and how envious I was of her singing ability. She has some gorgeous eyes. I had always wondered what happened to her and I was somewhat worried that she didn't fare well. I am glad to know she is doing great and has a wonderful family. It's too bad she never remained in R&B. Hearing it said how music videos and such required the female singers to dress sexy and such to get promoted, I couldn't help but think of Anita Baker who did very well musically and what few music videos she did back in the day, she didn't show any skin or was shown to be sexy at all. Her voice sold her music. I feel Stacy could have done the same. Oh well, what could've been doesn't seem to matter. Stacy is obviously happy and content.

I knew nothing about Sylvester before this "Unsung" episode, but I had heard the "Mighty Real" song played. Man, I can't believe that there was a predecessor to RuPaul.

I remember the first time I laid my eyes on Sylvester when he was on television and being confused. The 70's certainly was a breakout decade.

Frogbone72

Frogbone72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 8:34 AM

I found the Barkays episode more interesting in the first half than the later. Never knew those that died in the plane crash were so young (just 19!). Speaking of which, found the picture of Otis Reddings body being removed from the river kinda eeery. I go back and forth as to whether it was necessary to include that.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 12:45 AM

I had seen that pic of Otis' body being pulled from the water on some other documentary years ago. I don't know why anytime a documentary on Otis Redding is shown, they always seem to show that pic. It doesn't bother me in the sense that it is graphic, I just don't understand what is the point of it.

BTW the TVOne website has listed the artists who will be showcased in the new season this fall:

Tammi Terrell
George Clinton
Heatwave
Musical Youth
Teddy Pendergrass
Grand Master Flash
Angela Winbush
The O'Jays

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 6:59 AM

Tammi Terrell
George Clinton
Heatwave
Musical Youth
Teddy Pendergrass
Grand Master Flash
Angela Winbush
The O'Jays

Really looking forward to Tammi Terrell...but I don't know that I would classify Teddy Pendergrass or The O'Jays as "Unsung"...I guess because my dad and my uncles constantly had their music playing

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

I think I would consider Teddy Pendergrass unsung because if that accident hadn't happened he probably would have been bigger. But I don't consider the O'Jays unsung. I voted for Stephanie Mills, maybe she'll make the following season. I'm looking forward to Angela Winbush, what a great voice she had.

mhinrichs

mhinrichs

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 7:59 PM

Great show. I came across the Sylvester one almost by accident and now I'm hooked.

Florence Ballard of the Supremes would be an excellent subject for this show.

Edited by mhinrichs, Apr 22, 2010 @ 7:59 PM.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 8:39 PM

Florence Ballard of the Supremes would be an excellent subject for this show.

They actually did a profile on Florence Ballard the 1st season; I've caught it in re-runs twice but those are few and far between

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 5:46 AM

I don't know that I would classify Teddy Pendergrass or The O'Jays as "Unsung"...I guess because my dad and my uncles constantly had their music playing

I don't have a problem with them getting the UnSung treatment. Minnie Riperton, Phyllis Hyman & Sylvester were pretty big hit makers in their day as well. I think if there are untold or little known facts about the artist they can fit the bill. All I knew about Minnie was she died of cancer, Phyllis was a moody artist who occasionally showed up high at concerts and committed suicide, Sylvester was the gay guy with two tons of fun. Their Unsung episodes gave more of an inside story.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 7:00 AM

I don't know that I would classify Teddy Pendergrass or The O'Jays as "Unsung"...I guess because my dad and my uncles constantly had their music playing

I don't have a problem with them getting the UnSung treatment. Minnie Riperton, Phyllis Hyman & Sylvester were pretty big hit makers in their day as well. I think if there are untold or little known facts about the artist they can fit the bill. All I knew about Minnie was she died of cancer, Phyllis was a moody artist who occasionally showed up high at concerts and committed suicide, Sylvester was the gay guy with two tons of fun. Their Unsung episodes gave more of an inside story.

From that perspective, I agree; I'd love to see a profile on both. It's just that when I think of "Unsung" I'm thinking about artists who had the talent to make it really big but for whatever reason (illness, suicide, addiction, etc.) never quite made it; which is why the episodes about Minnie Ripperton and Phyllis Hyman were so great. Teddy's accident definitely had an effect on his career, but he did continue to make music. And the O'Jays' music is always being sampled for something. It'd be like having an "Unsung" on James Brown lol.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 12:48 PM

I'm looking forward to Angela Winbush, what a great voice she had.

I'm also looking forward to seeing an ep dedicated to her as well. As part of the group Rene & Angela they were set to go up to the level of success after the "Street Called Desire" album but broke up after that and virtually no reason given as far as I can remember other than dancing around it in interviews. If the show goes on long enough, one group that I would really like to see profiled is Chic. For a group which helped changed the course of popular culture (think hip hop and "Rapper's Delight" for starters) they've gotten very little press over the years. Two of the members have died but co-founder Nile Rodgers is still alive and performing with a revamp lineup, plus he's seemed to be very willing to give interviews over the years so it shouldn't be too difficult for a segment dedicated to them. They practically fit the definition of Unsung to a "t".

Edited by AD35, Apr 23, 2010 @ 12:58 PM.

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

Add me to the camp who believes that the O'Jays are too successful to be considered unsung. In my opinion its the same as labeling The Temptations or The Four Tops as unsung. I'm sure every group has a story to tell but the essence of Unsung is to profile great artist who fell short reaching that level of musical greatness due to unfortunate circumstance. The O'Jays have more than reached that level and are still going strong.

I love this show but I'm afraid of that day when they start to mess it up and we start getting treated to "Unsung: Bobby Brown" or "Unsung: Tevin Campbell" although Tevin might not be a bad show.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 10:33 PM

I love this show but I'm afraid of that day when they start to mess it up and we start getting treated to "Unsung: Bobby Brown" or "Unsung: Tevin Campbell" although Tevin might not be a bad show.

I would SOOOOOOOOOOOOO watch a Tevin Campbell "Unsung"...actually I think it's a great suggestion for next season.

Ellegado

Ellegado

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

Tevin Campbell or a Tracie Spencer Unsung would be must watch tv for me. Tomorrow was one of my favorite songs when I was growing up.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

Apparently UNSUNG is not just about focusing on artists whose careers were tragically cut short for one reason or another or those who dropped out of sight. It is also about showcasing artists a la "Behind the Music" style but also telling us viewers the story behind the artists rise and/or downfall in detail that has not been discussed elsewhere. Here is an article that discusses this in more detail:

http://blog.washingt...nger_stacy.html

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

Now that I'm thinking more about it, there just might be a story to be told about the O'Jays. There have been several line-up changes and the fact that Eddie lost two sons (Gerald & Sean) within a 2 year period is worth a story.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

For anyone who has an "On Demand" feature with their cable/satellite; do you know if it is up to your provider or the network what programs will be available on demand? I can almost never find "Unsung" to catch up on episodes I've missed, but freakin' "Divorce Court" and "The Hughely's" is always more than abundantly available lol.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

there just might be a story to be told about the O'Jays. There have been several line-up changes and the fact that Eddie lost two sons (Gerald & Sean) within a 2 year period is worth a story.

That is what went through my mind when I read the O'Jays would be featured. There was also a bit of a controversy regarding their induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. And when you really look at their success, it was a seven year period where they had their biggest hits even though they had been together for some time before they hit it big. It just seems like they have always been a big success and I guess their longetivity is due to those line-up changes.

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2010 @ 9:59 AM

After watching the Sylvester episode a few times, I think Unsung should explore doing a show about The Weather Girls. I know they have been given the "One Hit Wonder" but I believe there might be a story to tell there. I know Martha & Izora went there separate ways in the late 80's, but if I'm not mistaken Izora gained ownership of the "Weather Girls" name without Martha and therefore formed a tiff that was never repaired. After Izora's death, her daughters now travel and record with the name. Might be interesting.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

The new season of Unsung starts Sept 13 with eps on the following:

Sep.13 Teddy Pendergrass
Sep.20 Tammi Terrell
Sep.27 Heatwave
Oct. 4 George Clinton
Oct.11 Angela Winbush
Oct.18 The Fat Boys
Oct.25 Musical Youth
Nov. 1 Miki Howard
Nov. 8 O'Jays

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

Outside of George Clinton's eppy (love the songs, not interested in watching), can't wait for the new season, especially the Fat Boys and Musical Youth.

There was also a bit of a controversy regarding the O'Jays induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Ooooh, tell tell....what happened?

honybr

honybr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

Did anyone else catch the season premire with Teddy Pendergrass? I thought it was pretty good. I had no idea he was the first African-American to reach platinum 5 times straight with 5 albums. While I can't believe he had 3 kids in one year by 2 different women, I am glad he made sure that they knew him and each other. There were several pictures of the 3 kids and him.

It really did make me wonder how his story would have been if there hadn't been the accident. Speaking of the accident, I would be interested to know exactly what happened there. The show just said he hit a barrier on a curvy road but one of the commentators stated Teddy said "I've really messed up this time" which leads me to think maybe there's more to that story. I'm a conspiracy theorist though.

Edited by honybr, Sep 14, 2010 @ 3:35 PM.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

Teddy's passenger in the car was a transexual prostitute and the rumor has always been that he was performing oral sex on him when they crashed. Whether that's true or not, I found it odd that they kind of glossed over the accident all together.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 11:38 PM

I saw the ep with Teddy Pendergrass and it was enlightening to say the least to hear about his period with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. Now I know how and why TP virtually turned Melvin into a backup singer in his own group before going solo. One factoid that I didn't know before, TP was the one who originated the idea of ladies-only concerts.

Edited by AD35, Sep 14, 2010 @ 11:42 PM.