Unsung

• Please log in to reply

620 replies to this topic

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

As a 90s kid, I would love to see the following get an Unsung episodes:

Jodeci: including interviews from Mr. Dalvin and Devante (hopefully he have his stuff together).

Zhane: all those hits and vanished.

Soul IV Real: again all those hits off the first album and disappeared.

Total: what was the deal with Keisha and Pam? Were they or were they not?

Millie Jackson episode was my favorite. Her operatic performance of the F word made me laugh until my side hurt. Also, her album cover with her on the toilet belongs on the greatest album cover of all time.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

kemon, I just finished another book about the Tempts called Ain't Too Proud to Beg by Mark Ribowsky, which sheds a little more light on David Ruffin and how he and Eddie fell out with Hall & Oates. Right now I'm reading a biography on Stevie Wonder written by the same author.

Oooh, can you shed a little bit of what was said on the whole H&O falling out?

It's a shame she only had one major hit stateside ("With You I'm Born Again" with Billy Preston).

I hate that we have so many talented singers in this world, like Syreeta, only to have them vanish. We don't need American Idol - we have plenty of singers who need great songs.

I would love to see an episode featuring the 70's group, Skylark:
http://en.wikipedia....(Canadian_band)

Although they were considered a pop group, the sound of their hit song, "Wildflower" had that soulful ballad sound:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c9bJJNUdXEs

A young David Foster (yes, the famous composer) was the keyboardist for this group back then.

Edited by kemon, Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:16 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

I've still got the Wildflower 45, and I thought the lead singer was too fine for words, lol.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Danie84:

Zhane: all those hits and vanished.

I would like to see this as well! A few years ago, I ran into Jean (the shorter light skinned part of the group) at concert. Her husband is the drummer for the group The Yellowjackets, and she actually sang a few songs with them. It seems she and her partner in the group went in vastly different directions, hence maybe the break-up of the group?

Minnie Ripperton's Unsung episode was on this afternoon. I couldn't watch because I bawled at the end the last couple of times I saw it, and I don't think I could have taken any of that today. Beautiful story, beautiful woman.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I always said that Minnie Ripperton gave her beautiful, beautiful voice to Mariah Carey.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Any new episodes coming up soon or has this season ended already?

Unsung's Summer Lineup Schedule

Sly & the Family Stone (June 25)
Angela Bofill (July 2)
Con Funk Shun (July 9)
Kool Moe Dee (July 16)
The Marvelettes (July 23)
Gerald Levert (July 30)
Arrested Development (Aug. 13)
Lou Rawls (Aug. 20)

I don't think that Gerald Levert belongs in the category of Unsung. No, he didn't enjoy crossover success, but he had a successful and steady R&B career that spanned two decades - something that plenty of other singers would kill for.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Gerald Levert (July 30)
Lou Rawls (Aug. 20)

I don't think that Gerald Levert belongs in the category of Unsung. No, he didn't enjoy crossover success, but he had a successful and steady R&B career that spanned two decades - something that plenty of other singers would kill for.

I would have said that about Lou Rawls. All in all looks like a good summer. Thank you TV One

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I was about to post the schedule, lol!

Definitely excited about Angela Bofill and wonder how she is now, after the two strokes.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Hopefully, her story has an hopeful ending instead of an ominous one.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

I don't think that Gerald Levert belongs in the category of Unsung. No, he didn't enjoy crossover success, but he had a successful and steady R&B career that spanned two decades - something that plenty of other singers would kill for

It isn't always about the performers whose careers were cut short for one reason or those whose music was mainly in R&B. I think this show has now become the equivalent to Behind the Music. These artists featured on Unsung will most likely never be featured on BTM. I enjoy the background stories and some of the private information that has never been mentioned in the media on the various artists.

The Sly Stone story should be good. With Sly being homeless and living in the streets, it will obviously not end on a good note, unless something has happened since I last saw the news where a local anchor was interviewing him.

Edited by kemon, May 25, 2012 @ 9:40 PM.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

If this show is aiming to be a 'Behind the Music', then they ought to change the title (as the term 'Unsung' isn't general enough for them to play fast and loose with who the show features and what the show is about).

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

One artist you can cross off your list of candidates for a future ep of Unsung is Stephanie Mills, who flat out refuses to do the show, according to an interview with the Huffington Post.

Edited by AD35, May 29, 2012 @ 6:32 PM.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

"I don't feel unsung," the pint-sized diva continued. "I feel like I've had a wonderful career. I've done wonderful things and met so many wonderful different people. So I don't feel like I'm unsung at all."

...which pretty much proves my point about this show either needing to stick to the definition of Unsung or change their title in order to accommodate artists such as Ms. Mills (although her main reason for refusing is due to maintaining her privacy), the late Teddy Pendergrass, and the late Gerald Levert - all who enjoy(ed) fruitful R&B careers that (have) lasted decades.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I certainly don't think of Lou Rawls, or even the Marvelettes, as "unsung." I'm old enough to remember the Marvelettes (and I've still got some of their 45s) and I preferred them over the Supremes.

Maybe they should change the name of the show to Unforgotten.

Edited by Ohwell, May 30, 2012 @ 3:27 PM.

Divagalore

Divagalore

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 1:40 AM

I would love to see them do a show on T-R-A-C-I-E Spencer ("back to attack and I'm hyper than evah"). I remember her being super popular for "This House" and "This Time Make It Funky". IIRC, she won "Star Search" in the 80s.

This show is a gem.
This post has been edited

Yes, now I would love to see this. I used to love so many of Tracie's songs back in the day. It would be great to see an Unsung episode on her, because she was a such an underrated singer. I wished she had a bigger career.

I certainly don't think of Lou Rawls, or even the Marvelettes, as "unsung." I'm old enough to remember the Marvelettes (and I've still got some of their 45s) and I preferred them over the Supremes.

I have to agree with you regarding Lou Rawls. I mean, who doesn't know Lou? This man has had a successful career for decades, with a distinctive voice. I definitely don't consider him Unsung. I'm not sure about the Marvelettes, but I do know they didn't have that same success like the Supremes. I have noticed lately the show has been featuring artists who have had pretty decent careers that have spanned decades(Ray Parker Jr,and O'Jays). So since the show seems to be changing, "Unforgotten" would be a great new name...LOL.

Edited by Divagalore, May 31, 2012 @ 2:00 AM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

In the Ray Parker Jr episode they explained that Ghost Busters often shows up in "one hit wonders" collections and list. The Marvellettes falls into the not as big as and over shadowed the Supremes. The O'Jays? Probably not as big as Motown's big two male singing groups was the justification but I missed the episode.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

That'd be a preferable alternative to the current title of this show, IMO.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I have noticed lately the show has been featuring artists who have had pretty decent careers that have spanned decades(Ray Parker Jr,and O'Jays). So since the show seems to be changing, "Unforgotten" would be a great new name...LOL.

I am guessing other artists are either not wanting to do the show like Ms. Mills or the artists they are profiling are dead (Lou Rawls, O'Jay members, David Ruffin). People are stepping up and don't mind saying a few things on camera about the artist while getting paid to do so, with the exception of Ray Parker Jr. and a few others who are alive and well and don't mind the publicity this show gives them.

I agree with your suggestion for the title. I think this show began with a certain idea, but it has now evolved into something else. As for Lou Rawls, sure everyone pretty much knows his career, but how many people knew his personal history? A little info here and there in various interviews in certain magazines was how I gathered info. A lot of the magazines I read growing up did not feature R&B artists. I don't think PEOPLE Magazine even had anything on Teddy Pendergrass until he had his accident.

As for Stephanie Mills, unless I googled her, I would not have known she had three marriages under her belt. I knew of her first marriage after reading about it in some teen magazine years ago, but I didn't know about her other marriages nor do I know anything else about her private life other than what I read before her career began. As for her work outside of R&B music, I just know about The Wiz and her Broadway work. If it wasn't for her interview about Unsung, I wouldn't have known about her being married three times. LOL Sorry to say her career now doesn't appeal to me and therefore, I would have no reason to search and read up about her, even on Wikipedia. Stephanie Mills, in my eyes, is that old school artist that I grew up listening to.

Edited by kemon, May 31, 2012 @ 10:35 AM.

honybr

honybr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

Bumping the thread since the new season starts tonight with Sly and the Family Stone.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

The new season of Unsung kicks off tonight with an ep on Sly Stone. Other than the recent report of him living out of a van (presumably not down by the river), the last I heard of him was his mid-80's collab with Jesse Johnson.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

It was down by the ocean actually. It was discovered about a year after a scandel where the homeless living in RVs were driving through the local communities with the valves open to dump their waste.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

After watching tonight's ep, I can see how the years and drugs really took a toll on him. He had 2 different hairstyles for the segment, lol. I would have thought that the show would have mentioned his collaboration with Jesse Johnson in the mid 80's since it would be the last time that he made a major impact on the music charts. Also I kept wondering why Larry Graham never made an appearance, but then hearing about his confrontation with another member in the group quickly answered that question.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

After watching last night's episode, I have mixed feelings about it all. On one hand, I feel like I know a little bit more about Sly Stone, specifically about his kids, and how they came into being, and that he seems to still be in their lives "in his own way" as one of them stated. He and Cynthia as an item was news to me, let alone the two of them having a kid together. On the other hand, I still feel like I we don't know the real ins and outs of what happened with him. But maybe that is the point. He is a bit of an enigma. Drug use notwithstanding he tends to talk in circles and was a little hard to understand at times, so a lot of what he said during the piece was lost on me. Some issues/events were left out or glossed over, like the fact that he was in a long relationship with Carlos Santana's ex-wife. And while they mentioned the Larry Graham exit, there could have been a little more on that and the exodus of some of the other members of the Family Stone. But there is only so much that can be covered in an hour show!

It was interesting to see Clive Davis once again as the musical guru of a talented yet very troubled star. I couldn't help but think of Whitney when Clive talked about how drugs destroyed Sly's career. I think I'll need to watch this episode again to the get the full effect. What I did get was just how talented this guy is! And putting the members of the Family Stone together was genius.

Edited by damalanop, Jun 26, 2012 @ 12:07 PM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

This episode left me wanting more.

Sly Stone's ex-wife, per a People Magazine article back in 1980, mentioned abuse in the marriage. This same article, in which Sly was interviewed, mentioned the rumors about needing his nose fixed and a fling with Doris Day. I remember the Doris Day rumor. The ex-wife apparently received "whatever she wanted" from Sly, his words. Here is the article:
http://www.people.co...0075592,00.html

This People article from 1996 in which Sly declined to be interviewed, mentions Sly's third attempt at rehab. Was that mentioned in the piece last night? Sly's son also mentions how his father means no harm. Funny, I got the feeling from watching the episode last night, certain people seemed to be glossing over his drug use and the fact he is now living in a van because of all the money he burned through because of his drug use. His son seemed to imply that living in a van somehow works for his dad and his creativity. Also, at the end of that article, Sly Jr. mentions how his dad is living comfortably in a hotel. It sounds so similar to what he mentioned in the episode about his dad living in a van:

Temporarily residing in a Marina Del Rey hotel, Sly "is not as rich as he once was, but he's living comfortably," Sly Jr. says. Recently Stone bought a green BMW Z3. After Sly got out of rehab, father and son went shopping in Venice, Calif. The following Sunday, Stone went to church. "That's something new," says his son. "At this moment he's doing great. I don't think he's going to fall

Denial much?

This same article, Sly's ex, mentions him beating her, holding her captive and forcing her into three-way sex. i don't think she mentioned that. I must have really not heard it if it was mentioned, or these people just glossed over all that shit and drama.

Sly has a second daughter named. Novena. Was she mentioned?

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Sly has a second daughter named. Novena. Was she mentioned?

Novena was mentioned, and they showed them performing together in Santa Monica in 2009 I believe.

kemon: Seems as if we had the same feeling about the Sly ep. A lot of events and issues were glossed over. They need to do a part two!

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Okay, so it was Novena that was shown. Thanks for clearing that up. Then I guess I am thinking of the other daughter he had. I think I got confused last night. Having a headache while watching this show didn't help. LOL

Seems as if we had the same feeling about the Sly ep. A lot of events and issues were glossed over. They need to do a part two!

Seriously, I think Sly's episode, as well as David Ruffin's episode should have been at least 30 mins. longer. There was too much devoted to Sly speaking, which sounded like a garbled mess, to be honest.

Since I had that headache, can anyone tell me if they mentioned:

Sly's motorcycle accident;

His Grammy appearance, or lack thereof I should post;

His catalog of music and how he sold all that valuable music for $1 million dollars and is probably worth 20x that amount;

The mention above about Jesse Johnson. Why was that not mentioned? Geez, every time the new season begins, I get excited to watch some of the episodes, but I am left feeling unsatisfied. Fool me once, shame on TVOne, fool me twice, shame on me.

Edited by kemon, Jun 26, 2012 @ 4:14 PM.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

kemon: They showed the other daughter also, very briefly though. And as I recall, they also briefly mentioned that Sly had appeared at the Grammys recently. No details on what it took to get him there, and no assessment of the performance. I was doing something else while watching, so I am not sure if the other things you listed were mentioned.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

I missed the last 15 minutes or so of Sly Stone because, frankly, I got bored. I thought they spent too much time with him talking--not to mention those two different wigs on his head. LOL. I think that TV One let him have too much control over the episode, which led to so much information being left out.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

All 3 of his children were shown; I was tripping over Cynthia Robinson telling Sly's wife that he wasn't her man! But yes, this episode left out a lot of his life.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

I agree the Sly episode really did appear to be sugar coating or glossing over how is is living currently.

The Angela Bofil episode really tugged at my heart. I had no idea she had had 2 strokes although do vaguely remember hearing about the Angela Bofil experience. The ex-husband and daughter cracked me up though. The ex looked like he walked straight out of a Cheech & Chong movie and the daughter was like a 1980's Valley girl. It sounds like there was some money mismanagement, but they barely touched on that.