Unsung

• Please log in to reply

620 replies to this topic

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I was shocked to see Lisa Lisa appear on the Full Force episode. I would imagine when she was approached to appear, she probably thought the segment would be about her and Cult Jam.

Cheryl Lynn would be a good Unsung. Did you know her big hit was written/produced by David Foster and the keyboardist from the group Toto? She later recorded Gorgy Porgy with Toto.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I don't know if Tavares has been on this show yet, but I just saw them on PBS and I think they'd make for a good Unsung show.

America

America

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Was that a young Jermaine Dupree with a greasy Jheri Curl in that footage with Whodini? It sure looked like him.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

That was him, they made the reveal with about ten minutes left when he signed Whodini for what was their last album before being relegated to Old School shows.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

I know I missed about five minutes of the David Ruffin episode, but did they even touch upon the fact when the Temptations reunited with David, they performed with Rick James? I saw this clip on Soul School last night of the Temptations performing with RJ:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N7741O4LS0c

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

you could see Rick James on an elevated stage behind them but they did not mention him

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Melvin Franklin, the bass singer from the Temptations, was Rick James' uncle. They also sang back-up vocals on James' big hit, Superfreak.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

The Whodini episode was great!! It's amazing how their songs still hold up today and don't sound all that dated. But perhaps that's because they are right in my wheelhouse as far as music goes. Their episode really contrasts with today's hip hop/rap artists in that there was no Twitter, Facebook, Internet, etc. to expose all of what as going behind the scenes during their heyday. So Whodini and other acts had to make their names on their skills and shows rather than capitalizing on their off-stage shenanigans to gain a rep. I had no idea until watching this episode that UTFO started out as the dancers for Whodini. And it was sweet that JD ended up giving them their last record deal after he had been the little kid just hanging around for fun back in the day.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

Getting back to the David Ruffin episode, it was a letdown for me - especially since they glossed over the Tammi Terrell incident when they'd gone into so much detail about it in her Unsung profile. I too would've liked hearing how he and Eddie Kendricks hooked up with Hall & Oates - especially (according to some book I read a long time ago) since the association with H&O did NOT end on a happy note.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

since the association with H&O did NOT end on a happy note.

Really? I never heard that. I am not shocked about that though. I imagine David pulled the same shit with H&O as he did when he was with the Temptations. David died a drug addict so those behaviors don't just stop.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

The name of the book (I was wracking my brain trying to remember and finally went to Google) is Deliver Us From Temptation by Tony Turner.

It's not a great book, one of those shlocky "tell-alls". Berry Gordy sued the author shortly after the book went to press.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

I actually googled "David Ruffin Hall & Oates" and came upon a link to the live album recorded at the Apollo featuring H&O with David R. & Eddie K. There was a review of that album and something was mentioned about some fallout that was rumored to have occurred between Eddie K. and H&O. Apparently Eddie felt H&O were using David and Eddie to highlight their (H&O) careers. The reviewer commented that that rumor didn't jive because H&O were in the midst of a hot career and if anyone benefited by working with H&O, it was David and Eddie who had their careers somewhat resurrected because of the connection and work with H&O.

Deliver Us From Temptation by Tony Turner.

Good to know. Thanks.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

That definitely doesn't jive. Just look at H&O's discography and hit singles at this time:

http://en.wikipedia....tes_discography

The same year they toured with Eddie and David, H&O participated in the recording of "We Are the World". To say H&O was hotter than a pistol at this time is an understatement.

If you listen closely to the Apollo live album, the years of smoking were already taking its toll on Eddie's voice - it sounds ravaged and weak. David's voice still sounded relatively strong.

If you ever read that book, kemon, let me know what you think. Tony Turner was supposedly a Motown groupie - he also spent a lot of time in this book ripping into Mary Wilson. I'm surprised she didn't follow Berry Gordy's lead and sue him...or if she did, I never heard anything about it.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

The only legs that the ex Temptations have to stand on would be to reestablish Hall & Oates "blue eyed soul" credentials. They may have started out on Soul Train and R&B radio with Sara Smile but by that point of their career they were not male versions of Teena Marie even if the mainstream press gave them that reputation.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

Because of their association with H&O, didn't David and Eddie perform at Live Aid back in 1985?

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

They did perform at Live Aid. This was something that wasn't mentioned on the Unsung episode either. Obviously David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks benefited by working with H&O. Surely no one would have thought of asking those two to perform at Live Aid.

taiko - I disagree with the comment about their music and the R&B connection. Looking at that wiki link provided by Catlover, it appears H&O spent plenty of crossover time in the R&B charts with several songs. IMO by the time H&O connected with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks, whatever credibility H&O had with R&B music, it was already well-established and they didn't need an ex-Temptation or two to help them with that regard. Even now, Darryl has his own show on television and his own website where he continues to perform and work with R&B artists, blues artists and non-pop artists.

Edited by kemon, Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:15 PM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Here's another thing that Unsung didn't mention. Eddie was a pallbearer at David's funeral in 1991 and was arrested right after the service for failure to pay child support.

http://news.google.c...A...uffin&hl=en

Then again, if Unsung ever does an episode about Eddie, they have plenty of material to work with.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

I never knew that about Eddie. I knew he was a pallbearer but I didn't know he was arrested. How sad. Not sad that he was arrested, but sad that he failed to provide for his child(ren).

if Unsung ever does an episode about Eddie, they have plenty of material to work with.

Ha ha, ain't that the truth. It is like six degrees of separation here with the Tami, David and Eddie connection. Whatever wasn't said in the David episode, was mentioned in the Tami episode and can be still mentioned in the Eddie episode.

Edited by kemon, Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:48 PM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Here's a July 1991 article from Jet that goes into a bit more detail:

http://books.google....M...ort&f=false

I have no idea how things turned out with the child support money since he was diagnosed with lung cancer that same year and was gone the next. Like David and many, many others, Eddie didn't handle the money that came his way with the fame well.

Unsung definitely should make an Eddie episode.

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

Three Degrees would be a good subject. Just based on this interview alone I can tell there were some interesting group dynamics.
eta:
And with this interview's Q&A about Shelia (starting at the 5:50 mark) I'd really like to get the lowdown on that split.

Edited by rabal, Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:59 AM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

There were around 15 members of that trio. I don't know that I would keep them all straight if they did an Unsung on them. LOL

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I wish they would do a Unsung on Minni Riperton ( 11-8-1947-7-12-1979) She is the late mother of Maya Rudolph from "Up All Night"

Edited by livinggreen, Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:56 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

They have done a Minnie episode.

AndieMatt

AndieMatt

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

I DVRed the episodes that have aired so far this year and I have to say I got a huge kick out of the Millie Jackson one. She's quite a broad (and I'm sure she wouldn't mind me calling her that). She is definitely someone who was way, way, way before her time.

It was cool seeing Roxanne Shante doing some of the talking head parts of the show.

I would love to see them do a show on T-R-A-C-I-E Spencer ("back to attack and I'm hyper than evah"). I remember her being super popular for "This House" and "This Time Make It Funky". IIRC, she won "Star Search" in the 80s.

This show is a gem.

Edited by AndieMatt, Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:50 PM.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Unsung Atlantic Star showcased greed at it's worse. The Lewis Brothers have only themselves to blame for their lack of continued success. What a shame.

Freddie Jackson the closet door is wide open. I'll play along, although I had no idea he was gay until I was grown. I loved Mr. Jackson's music. Not everyone is meant to be skinned. Freddie looks a HAM! 20 or 30 pounds gained will make him less scrawny.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

Minni Riperton ( 11-8-1947-7-12-1979) She is the late mother of Maya Rundolph from "Up All Night"

Maya's godmother was Teena Marie, who was also featured on this series.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Teena Marie's episode was the first time that I've seen Richard Rudolph. Maya Rudolph's father

vmc88

vmc88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Totally agree with whoever suggested Tracie Spencer. She had a great voice. I loved "This House" and "Tender Kisses." Would really like to know what she's up to these days.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

kemon, I just finished another book about the Tempts called Ain't Too Proud to Beg by Mark Ribowsky, which sheds a little more light on David Ruffin and how he and Eddie fell out with Hall & Oates. Right now I'm reading a biography on Stevie Wonder written by the same author.

Speaking of Stevie, I REALLY wish Unsung would do an episode about his first wife/muse, Syreeta. Hey, not only did she collaborate with him on hits like "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" and "If You Really Love Me", she was a strong songwriter in her own right with the voice of an angel. It's a shame she only had one major hit stateside ("With You I'm Born Again" with Billy Preston). Unsung has already profiled Billy Preston and Syreeta's contemporaries, Deniece Williams and Minnie Riperton. Stevie himself appeared in DW's episode, so I have no reason to believe why he wouldn't participate in a Syreeta profile.

Any new episodes coming up soon or has this season ended already?

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Whodini is listed as the finale episode on TV One's site.