Unsung

• Please log in to reply

620 replies to this topic

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 7:53 PM

I searched for a thread for this documentary series but didn't find one. If one exists, I am sorry for the duplicate thread.

TVOne presents a new season of UNSUNG. For those who watched last year, they shared the stories of the DeBarge Family, the late Donny Hathaway and the late Phyllis Hyman among others.

I look forward to the episode featuring Teena Marie.

New Episodes Premiere Sunday, Nov. 1 at 8 pm (ET)

http://www.tvoneonli...how.asp?sid=902

TV One's UnSung is back for its second season! This season is even more explosive with the exclusive stories of Teena Marie, Bootsy Collins, Klymaxx and ZAPP!

New to the UnSung experience? It's the series that profiles some of the most influential, talented yet forgotten R&B, Soul and Gospel artists of the 1970s, '80s and '90s. While Aretha, Whitney, Diana, Stevie, Marvin and the Winans have been recognized over and over again-there are several artists like Phyllis Hyman and The Clark Sisters who haven't been as honored.
UnSung shows that the true story of Black music in America runs much deeper than the acknowledged superstars. Many of R&B and gospel's greatest musical pioneers have remained unsung in one way or another. Where are the 'hall of fame' achievement awards for late great Donny Hathaway - who influenced a generation of today's male singers? What about the accolades for pioneering family group Debarge who merged Jackson 5-like teen idol presentation with romantic writing and production, creating music that has been unexpectedly sampled by many of hip-hop's biggest stars?
Though many of these artists managed to build a dedicated Black fanbase, they were not able to make the transition to superstardom. Why did these artists remain mostly "unsung" to the world at large?
This new and exciting season will reveal the business and personal struggles that kept these artists from achieving the iconic commercial status they deserved. Don't miss Unsung only on TV One.

Edited by Malibu65, Nov 1, 2009 @ 12:52 PM.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

Ooooh, good to know.

Phyllis Hyman and DeBarge were so depressing...so self-destructive with so much talent.

I bawled at the end of Minnie Ripperton; I knew she died young but when her husband talked about having to tell the kids...I lost it.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 9:52 PM

I'm glad to hear that there'll be a 2nd season of the show. I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes profile of Shalamar. I knew that Howard Hewett and Jody Watley had their issues between them back in the day, but I had no idea how bad it really was. No wonder Watley refuses to do anything with Hewitt or a Shalamar reunion now.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

Phyllis Hyman and DeBarge were so depressing...so self-destructive with so much talent.

Indeed. Especially Phyllis' story. I knew of her suicide but had no idea about her mental issues. Tragic.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

This Sunday's first episode will be on Teena Marie. I can't wait.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2009 @ 11:11 AM

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. Glad to see "Unsung" back, as it is a far superior series to "Life After" (also on TVOne).

I was really shocked with the level of depth in which all the stories are presented - it comes across like a first-rate production, without the cut-rate production values that I usually expect.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

Yeah, so far I've found them all depressing especially DeBarge since most of the brothers still seem to be on drugs.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2009 @ 9:30 PM

Maybe I just grew accustomed to heart-tugging tragedy with the first round of Unsung stories, but Teena Marie felt more like a Behind the Music...a good one though.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 3:57 PM

I liked the Teena Marie segment. Nice to see Teena still going strong and not having tragedy in her life such as the DeBarge's. I felt bad knowing she was having financial issues which in turn caused her to sell some guitars in some back alley. I guess this was before eBay. I really liked hearing the tumultuous relationship she had with Rick James. Not that it was nice to hear how bad it was, but nice to hear actual details from the source...Teena.

Here is the initiative that is referred to as the Teena Marie Law that Teena helped to initiate during the lawsuit she was involved in:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Teena_Marie

In 1982, Marie got into a heated legal battle with Motown records over her contract and disagreements on releasing her new material. The shuffle resulted in "The Brockert Initiative", which makes it illegal for a record company to keep an artist under contract without releasing new material for that artist. The artist would then be able to sign and release with another label instead of being held back by an unsupportive one. Teena Marie commented on the law in an LA Times article, saying, "It wasn't something I set out to do. I just wanted to get away from Motown and have a good life. But it helped a lot of people, like Luther Vandross and the Mary Jane Girls and a lot of different artists, to be able to get out of their contracts".

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2009 @ 12:43 PM

Teena Marie is scheduled to perform on THE VIEW today.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2009 @ 8:18 PM

I was none too happy with the Bootsy Collins segment. Nothing new there that I didn't already know.

I do look forward to the Klymaxx segment. I know the ladies had a bad break-up and one of the members went on the road using the band name. I recall when they had reunited on that Vh1 show BANDS REUNITED and the bad blood was thick.

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2009 @ 12:15 AM

I do look forward to the Klymaxx segment. I know the ladies had a bad break-up and one of the members went on the road using the band name. I recall when they had reunited on that Vh1 show BANDS REUNITED and the bad blood was thick.

Just finished watching the Klymaxx episode. It was good. I too remember the VH1 special. Everything pretty much matched up except when they began talking about how the group broke. On the VH1 special, the girls made it see as if the guitarist Sheryl (sp?) Cooley was the one that started the fued. On this episode, they said it was Bernadette Cooper and she even stated that she may cause started the riff. Overall good show.

Edited by twtexas17, Nov 16, 2009 @ 12:18 AM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2009 @ 8:29 PM

I really liked the Klymaxx episode.

Is it just on my end or what because when ever the show airs footage of the artists' videos, the quality looks real bad. I swear seeing the videos of Klymaxx was hard on the eyes. And watching it on HD makes it even worse.

Anyhoo that one chick of Klymaxx, can't recall her name but that is because my eyes were focused on the fact she had no teeth! Geez. Did she do meth or what? She looked so damn old. I wonder what behind the story she can share?

I can't believe they are still wrangling with the legal stuff over the name Klymaxx. It reminds me of the whole Temptations thing when there were two Temptations groups going on. Frankly, I'd much rather see the group with Bernadette Cooper than with Cooley.

On the VH1 special, the girls made it see as if the guitarist Sheryl (sp?) Cooley was the one that started the fued.

I think the issue discussed on the Vh1 special was the whole mess with Cooley going around using the Klymaxx name. That was their beef with her. That is what I recall. On this series, they went deeper into what actually broke up the band and then touched on what occurred later on the Vh1 show.

Let me add my own little beef with Klymaxx and their song, "Meeting in the Ladies Room." I hated that spoken line of Bernadette's where she says, "Don't slap me cuz I'm not in the mood." Pfft. If some broad slapped me, the last thing I'd be telling her is, "I'm not in the mood." My fist would be doing the talking. ; )

Edited by Malibu65, Nov 16, 2009 @ 8:30 PM.

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:23 AM

I guess everyone else was watching the AMA's, but I thought the Zapp and Roger story was very good. It was just so sad. I remember the songs but didn't remember anything about the murder/suicide. That was just heart breaking. And papa was indeed a rolling stone, supporting 12 kids at the time of his death.

There seemed to still be some animosity among the children of the deceased. I was curious why Larry's three children didn't interview with their eldest sister.

Nice to see Roger getting his props from today's artist, even if Snoop was making up half the words coming out of his mouth.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 12:51 PM

I missed the Roger/Zapp episode last night.

Nice to see Roger getting his props from today's artist, even if Snoop was making up half the words coming out of his mouth.

OMG! I love me Snoop Dogg but it seems he is always a part of some singer's profile/story. Don't get me wrong, I am sure Snoop has been influenced by a lot of artists but I do get what you mean that it seems like he is just saying stuff as he is being filmed. Maybe he wants to keep it real and not sound rehearsed but I nearly fell out of my chair when Snoop was part of a Johnny Cash profile.

I look forward to watching the Roger/Zapp profile and seeing Snoop's appearance. Thanks for the heads up on that. ; )

Edited by Malibu65, Nov 23, 2009 @ 12:54 PM.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

I skipped the AMAs, but was watching the Amazing Race instead. I was glad to catch the repeat at 11:00 pm. The Roger/Zapp story was a rough one. I knew Roger was killed, but I didn't know his brother was the one who shot him!

I guess everyone else was watching the AMA's, but I thought the Zapp and Roger story was very good. It was just so sad. I remember the songs but didn't remember anything about the murder/suicide. That was just heart breaking. And papa was indeed a rolling stone, supporting 12 kids at the time of his death.

There seemed to still be some animosity among the children of the deceased. I was curious why Larry's three children didn't interview with their eldest sister.

I can't begin to imagine the pain that the whole Troutman family felt. Especially with Larry and Roger's children. Your father killing your uncle then taking his own life? I'd be surprised if most of the kids would bother to talk to each other to this day.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:39 AM

Is it just on my end or what because when ever the show airs footage of the artists' videos, the quality looks real bad. I swear seeing the videos of Klymaxx was hard on the eyes. And watching it on HD makes it even worse.

I just watched the Klymaxx episode the other day and the quality of the music videos was bad, like the videos came from someone's old videotape.

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Another great season! Any ideas of who should be profiled next season? I nominate The Sylvers. For those who don't know they were a "Jackson like" family group from the 70's.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

Man, the Roger / Zapp episode was both inspirational and heartbreaking.

I grew up with a lot of their hit songs - some of which, I didn't even know were them, but never really knew a lot about them as people don't tell anyone, but I thought "Roger" was the name of the computer-generated vocal. Seeing how much Roger put into his music did make me think about how little in "props" we gave to artists back then. Sure, Prince and Stevie Wonder were musical geniuses, but there were a number of Soul/R&B artists who didn't get their due, because there was just no place really to talk about them. Even now, I wonder what efforts - other than random samples - are made to recognize these talents.

For a third season, I would like to see either The Time or Sheila E (though I think getting clips out of Prince might be difficult). How about Whodini (they don't get the recognition that Run DMC gets). There are any number of female soul singers, like Shirley Murdock, Shanice Wilson, Tracie Spencer, Stacy Lattisaw, Angela Winbush, Regina Belle - any of them could have an interesting story. Guys like Peabo Bryson, James Ingram, Jeffrey Osborne, Gregory Abbott, Freddie Jackson. All of these are just the 80s!

It's unfortunate how much talent just seems to have drifted away, as today's musical tastes focus on the weakest era of rap and pop versions of R&B. If they can get them to agree, there is unfortunately no end to resources for "Unsung".

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

For a third season, I would like to see either The Time or Sheila E (though I think getting clips out of Prince might be difficult). How about Whodini (they don't get the recognition that Run DMC gets). There are any number of female soul singers, like Shirley Murdock, Shanice Wilson, Tracie Spencer, Stacy Lattisaw, Angela Winbush, Regina Belle - any of them could have an interesting story. Guys like Peabo Bryson, James Ingram, Jeffrey Osborne, Gregory Abbott, Freddie Jackson. All of these are just the 80s!

As a young'n (born in '82), in addition to the above, I'd love to see profiles of some of the 90's R&B artists/groups that were at the cusp of stardom but for whatever reason just fell off: Shai, SWV, All 4 One just to name a few.

She probably doesn't count as Unsung due to the amount of records and grammy's she's won, but I'd LOVE to see a profile on Lauryn Hill, just to understand what happened after "The Miseducation..." album.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 9:21 PM

I just watched the Klymaxx episode the other day and the quality of the music videos was bad, like the videos came from someone's old videotape.

Yes! That is exactly how it looked. Such a shame too because I know they could look better. I see old school videos on BET and they look nothing like that.

I nominate The Sylvers. For those who don't know they were a "Jackson like" family group from the 70's.

That would be great. I know one of the members died. As a matter of fact, wasn't one of them featured on the episode that talked about Shalamar? I think he is a producer or something. I remember Foster Sylver was such a cutie pie. He was called the "new Michael Jackson".

I would like to see a profile of Kurtis Blow as well as Sly & The Family Stone.

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 8:32 AM

Kurtis Blow would be great. He was the first solo rap star and then he just faded away right as hip hop was beginning to cross over with Run Dmc. I don't think Sly and the family would qualify because they are pretty well known in the mainstream.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 10:08 PM

I would like to see an episode about Rockwell (the "Somebody's Watching Me" guy). He just seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth - I haven't seen him since his 80s heyday.

The ladies of Klymaxx? Eeek - time has not been too kind.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 12:03 PM

I don't think Sly and the family would qualify because they are pretty well known in the mainstream.

So is Teena Marie but it didn't stop the show from devoting an hour to her music. ; ) She didn't even really have much drama to her story as say the ladies of Klymaxx did. I am sure there are some stories we haven't heard about Sly and the Family Stone. Although I know Sly is pretty reclusive and I don't know if he would agree to allowing any interviews.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 11:36 PM

That would be great. I know one of the members died. As a matter of fact, wasn't one of them featured on the episode that talked about Shalamar? I think he is a producer or something.

That would be Leon Sylvers III, and he was a major producer for SOLAR Records during the early to mid 80's, so that's how he got included in the Shalamar ep. Speaking of which, SOLAR Records could be an Unsung ep by itself, or some of its acts like the Whispers or Lakeside.

Edited by AD35, Nov 30, 2009 @ 11:43 PM.

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 12:22 PM

Finally saw the show about DeBarge. What a messed up family life they had. I was a kid when they hit big and had no idea that drugs was such a factor in the downfall. And they all look a hot mess now. But boy did it remind me of my mad crush on El, that boy was too cute.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

The Minnie Ripperton one was sad, but she was always so upbeat. I never realized her range and the type of music she made beyond "Loving You." Totally want to check out her music now.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

A new season of episodes will begin March 22nd. The first episode will feature the group Rose Royce. Other episodes will profile Stacey Lattisaw, Sylvester and the Bar-Kays.

http://lalahhathaway...ad.php?1,464817

I love each of the artists they are profiling. I especially look forward to Stacey Lattisaw's episode.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Looking forward to it, thanks for the update!

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

The new season looks great! Thanks for the link.