Relationships in Glee: Find Me Somebody to Love

• Please log in to reply

3222 replies to this topic

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

It really is bizarre how the show treats Kurt and Blaine. A year after the last (disasterous)Prom they still can't be shown displaying physical affection. Heck, couples are kissing all around them, and they couldn't insert a scene of them being intimate in a corridor or in the hallway or back in the anti prom party at the hotel room.
Even their sharing a bed together was all about Blaine's gel.

They seem so neutered as a couple after a year.

Mixi

Mixi

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

I blame the network. At least the writers give them dialogue to express how much they care about each other (Kurt is so proud of his handsome bushy-haired boyfriend, he's the love of Blaine's life, epic whitney song, they're in love, etc etc) but they're not allowed to show it because TOO GAY. We know they want each other, hey sexy texts, but do we see it? Nope. Whereas Brittana do the hot hand holding action but they don't...really...talk? I don't know, it's weird. And really annoying. But I do blame the writers for giving Finchel 10,000 kisses and letting everyone at prom BUT Klaine and Brittana kiss. Gross.

Edited by Mixi, May 11, 2012 @ 1:44 PM.

AwesomeWelles

AwesomeWelles

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

It's as if there can only be one relationship and it all has to be spread out between the characters. So Klaine get the emotions and relative matureness, Tike get the lovey-dovey shots, Britana gets the sex tape, while Finchel gets the PDAs and the drama. It makes no sense at all. Then again this is Glee, where every character goes through at least 27 different personalities each week.

I'm completely willing to believe that the network has decided that two kisses, the world's most chaste 'sex' scene and a bit of hand-holding is Too Much Gay for Glee. Glee FFS! I can't see it being a decision made by the actors, or the producers, but I can see them being restrained by Fox. In fact I think we've only gotten what we have because of how insanely popular the coupling is. I don't think anyone could've predicted how popular Blaine would be when he was first introduced but Darren Criss has this weird magnetism, and the chemistry between him and Chris Colfer is astounding.

If Chord had been playing Kurt's love-interest as was originally planned, I think we'd be seeing a very different show in regards to the relationships, and probably not in a good way.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

I don't think the Blaine hype really carried onto this season though. He was very hot (the buzz variety hot) but I haven't seen the same excitement over him or Klaine in a while. I was pretty convinced that this season would be all about the Klaine but it didn't really turn up that way.

Of course this pales next to how Finchel went from something to root for (Showmance) to a complete and utter train wreck.

I wouldn't necessarily need more PDA for the gay couples, I just want the straight couples to stop. There isn't a single pairing on this show that I actually want to see get it on, except maybe Brittana, but I'd prefer to take no PDA from any of the couples than the Finchel amount from everyone. I automatically look away from the screen when Rachel and Finn get all kissy, because ugh. I don't want to witness that. And the "sex" scene really was ridiculous. Rachel was the only one who might actually have been without clothing, all the guys were wearing pants. "Steamy". I don't even know why they had to include that, couldn't they just have Rachel and Kurt casually mentioning it in a conversation?

I don't know if the rumors that Lea and Cory are dating are true, but if they are, I guess this confirms the Joey Tribbiani rule to on-screen chemistry. If there isn't any, it means the actors are going at it off-screen. Lol. But anyways, the Finchel relationship needs to die.

erilyn

erilyn

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Heck, couples are kissing all around them

The amount of random hetero kissing was very obvious, but I didn't quite realise how much there was until I saw this tumblr post.

THIRTY FIVE KISSES. Meanwhile, Klaine have to keep a foot of space between them when on a bed in private with friends, and Brittana barely interacted.

I can't just blame the double standard on the network at this point.

Edited by erilyn, May 11, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

Mixi

Mixi

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I can't just blame the double standard on the network at this poi

We really can't take any blame off the writers at this point, not when they've given the straight couples so much kissing and made it The Finchel Show. They don't deserve any credit at all. I loved the Klaine in The First Time and Dance With Somebody and Brittana had some sweet moments in Heart (though I wish their storyline wasn't eaten by the Glee meta monster) but that's just not enough. Not when we had season 2, with the build up to their relationships getting spread out over episodes and being treated so well. Who would have thought that the the boys who were so in love would go episodes without talking or touching? Who would have thought that the girl who wanted nothing more in the whole world than for the girl she loves to be honest about herself would have nothing to say in her coming out episode?

It's as if there can only be one relationship and it all has to be spread out between the characters. So Klaine get the emotions and relative matureness, Tike get the lovey-dovey shots, Britana gets the sex tape, while Finchel gets the PDAs and the drama. It makes no sense at all. Then again this is Glee, where every character goes through at least 27 different personalities each week.

This is a really interesting point. I sometimes can't believe Finchel is the "main" couple of this show, since they're written as such an unhealthy couple. If I didn't know any better I'd think we were supposed to want/expect them to fail. They simply don't work. And maybe the worst part is, I honestly don't want them to work. I can't root for them. I can root for every single couple on this show except for them. It's unfortunate when that kind of toxic relationship is your alpha.

I don't think the Blaine hype really carried onto this season though. He was very hot (the buzz variety hot) but I haven't seen the same excitement over him or Klaine in a while. I was pretty convinced that this season would be all about the Klaine but it didn't really turn up that way.

I didn't expect that level of buzz to pass over into the next season, he was new and shiny and the relationship was in that really exciting will-they-or-won't-they stage, that's always the most buzzed about. Unless of course they're buzzing about something that nobody cares about, like the Finchel engagement. Always remember "#RachelSayNo" trending worldwide, LOL. It also doesn't help that Glee actually gave them multi-episode focus last season and refuses to do that this season for any relationship that isn't Finchel. At least the Klaine and Brittana fanbases are still as passionate as ever. ;)

erilyn

erilyn

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I hadn't seen that before, its an awesome poll result, Mixi. I wish Mike/Tina had managed to scrape in front of Finchel, they were close.

[But why was the related Best Dancer poll between Mike, Kurt and Finn, wtf?]

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

IMO, the problem with Finn/Rachel is that I don't think their relationship has many redeeming qualities anymore. I have plenty of gripes about the way Will/Emma, Brittany/Santana, and Kurt/Blaine are written sometimes, but I can understand why those couples are together despite their flaws. With Finn/Rachel, I feel like I haven't been shown WHY they're together.

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

I automatically look away from the screen when Rachel and Finn get all kissy, because ugh.

Me too. I either roll my eyes, look for something in the background to distract me or cover the offending area of my laptop screen. And wow, to think that I used to love Finchel in S1. How far they've been destroyed and gotten on my nerves.

At least the Klaine and Brittana fanbases are still as passionate as ever. ;)

Lol at Finchel's 5% and Klaine + Brittana taking up 90% of the votes. Looking forward to seeing what Klaine mugs, tees and posters will be available!

Who would have thought that the the boys who were so in love would go episodes without talking or touching?

I think they went about 10 episodes without a real conversation (The First Time to Big Brother) and weren't allowed to hug for 12 episodes from First Time to Dance With Somebody. (I think...) It's kind of amazing. They also kiss twice a season, and both kisses are contained in the one episode. Must Contain The Gay.

And it's probably a similar story if not worse for Brittana, but I don't pay as much attention to them.

yellowpride

yellowpride

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

And it's probably a similar story if not worse for Brittana, but I don't pay as much attention to them.

Yeah, the only time we've seen them actually conversing in the back half of this season was when Brittany released their sex tape behind Santana's back, and they didn't have much more than that in the front half of the season. Honestly, the only way you can even tell they're together any more is that Santana talks to other people about Brittany and that they're like conjoined twins in the background of almost every group scene.

I understand that not all couples are going to get the same amount of attention, but I think the biggest problem with the writing of Brittany and Santana, as a couple, is that they aren't even included is each others' stories. Santana was outed and didn't have a single conversation about it with Brittany. Brittany is flunking all her classes and hasn't had a single conversation about it with Santana. I don't necessarily like the fact that character's storylines seem so inextricably linked to their significant others (I'm looking at you, Joe/Quinn), but if that's gonna be the case for every other couple on the show, it's kind of silly for it not to be the case for Brittany and Santana.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Reminder: talking about fan bases or fans is boards on boards. Stick to posting your views on the show, rather than your views on other viewers, please. And if youíre sharing an opinion about the show, please donít use "we." Even if you suspect other people share your views, the only person any of us can speak for is ourselves. Thanks!

HappyHeart

HappyHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Must Contain The Gay.

It's totally a conspiracy:

They're getting more and more clever with hiding this PDA issue for the gay couples.

For example:

- Brittany and Santana both doing a lot of singing, so it avoids giving them dance time,
- Blaine being away for one song to wash out his gel making it one less number for Klaine to dance to,
- Kurt and Blaine walking BEHIND Finchel as they enter prom - Finchel are displayed nice and prominent, bodies touching, holding hands. Kurt and Blaine are further apart and you cannot tell if they're holding hands because Finchel are blocking them
- When Kurt tells Blaine not to go out again for more gel and that he’s proud of his bushy haired bf (aw!) they framed the scene with very tight shots, only down to their chests/shoulders so we have no clue if Kurt was touching Blaine, perhaps either by touching his arms or holding his hands. Some clever editing. Compare that to Tina/Mike and Samcedes' talking scenes where they had their arms wrapped around each other and it was easy to see most of their bodies because it wasn’t shot upclose.

I can even nitpick the prom photos. If I had no clue who these characters were, no clue who they were dating, never would I have known (just by looking at these prom photos) that Klaine and Brittana are couples. Both can easily pass as friends (in the photos), whereas Tike and Wemma’s cheek kisses and Rachel sitting on Finn’s lap indicate a dating relationship.

When I bear all this in mind while watching Naomily in Skins, frankly, it's embarrassing. And my mind still boggles as to why. I could at least understand if it was Brittana getting shafted in terms of screentime at the expense of Klaine, but why be surruptitiously prudish now? Do they think making the show "less gay" will equal better ratings? Did RIB or FOX get spooked because General Mills pulled their ads from Pretty Little Liars after one complaint from one lobby group just for having a lesbian exist on the show?

Edited by HappyHeart, May 13, 2012 @ 10:59 AM.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

So is this their way of saying Klaine's already broken up? Or are they just not a "real" couple? Even Rory got single-guy action, but Kurt and Blaine were apparently in the bathroom or something during the big celebratory kissing scene.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Yeah... the lack of a Klaine kiss during the celebration really had me steamed. It wouldn't be so eggregious if Santana and Brittany hadn't locked lips, but Kurt and Blaine were the only established couple that weren't even shown hugging, let alone kissing. Quel annoying, oui?

McCafe

McCafe

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Samcedes seemed equally ignored in tonight's ep, but I thought the lack of Klaine kiss was glaring.

Sigh.

Paris Luv

Paris Luv

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

So disappointed with the lack of a Klaine kiss. They are the main reason I am still watching. As the poster above said I really hope this wasn't a clue to the status of their relationship. I think How I Met Your Mother did something similar with Ted and Robin at the end of its season 2. Even though Kurt will be in NY and Blaine in Ohio I don't know if I will continue to watch if they break up. I was happy to see Santana and Britney kiss.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Frankly, I would take an actual conversation between Brittana any day over a kiss. At least Klaine consistently talk to each other.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Frankly, I would take an actual conversation between Brittana any day over a kiss. At least Klaine consistently talk to each other.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd take 2 full minutes of meaningful conversation over a thousand on screen kisses. Like, what is Brittany doing next year? How are things with Santana's grandmother? Does Brittany HAVE parents? How does Brittany feel about being out? Did Santana accept the scholarship Brittany got her?

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

There's only so far they're willing to take Brittany. It's not like she and Artie had riveting conversations either, and there's only so many times they can pull off 'brittany mentors Santana' since that's the only thing they're willing to do with them because her Mary Sue-ness doesn't give room for any real conflict within the couple (because no one is ever allowed to get mad at her.)And they prefer to keep her mostly insane, so the quota for meaningful conversation is low, they wouldn't want her to start making sense.

All IMO, of course.

Edited by natyxg, May 16, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

Mary Sue-ness? That word gets thrown around a lot, and it's lost any meaning. Brittana had interesting enough conversations and Brittany made plenty of sense in the second half of last season. The writers can do it, they just don't care to. I do think the new writers probably have a real problem getting a handle on Brittany (Ryan is usually the one who does it best, and he's got one foot out the door), but that's hardly an excuse.

Edited by Kokoro, May 16, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

The writers can do it, they just don't care to.

Which was exactly my point. I think they're not interested in treating them like they treat Klaine and Finchel or etc (they talk and have actual storylines) because it would mean taking the characters outside of the scope they want to keep them in. Particularly Brittany. So there's only so far they're willing to go with this couple.

Edited by natyxg, May 16, 2012 @ 1:07 AM.

Kokoro

Kokoro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

My point was that they were interested in exploring and expanding these characters through their relationship last season, and it was well received by most fans and critics. But for whatever reason, they seemed to have dropped it, and the show is worst off for it.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

Samcedes seemed equally ignored in tonight's ep, but I thought the lack of Klaine kiss was glaring.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that was very intentional, and not a network "no gay PDA!" thing. I'm thinking Kurt and Blaine are breaking up next episode. We know Kurt is going to NY (or well, it's pretty evident I think, even if it's not 100% official yet) and that Blaine is staying in McKinley, unless they pull a random twist out of their asses on the last minute. I don't see them maintaining a long distance relationship between Kurt and Blaine for a whole season (which may very well be Glee's last, if the "revolutionary idea" bombs) so, bye bye Klaine. I say good riddance, if Kurt's NY-bound I want single and ready to mingle, thank you very much. I've given up on "the so called Finchel" breaking up so I'm putting my hopes in Klaine.

AwesomeWelles

AwesomeWelles

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

Klaine are totally breaking up. It goes against even TV logic so obviously it's going to happen. The only thing that makes me think they won't split up is that Kurt being in New York gives the writers an excuse why they aren't together, rather than the BS that we've been subjected to this season. When Rory (RORY!) gets two girls kissing him and Klaine gets a timid little, mostly-out-of-shot handholding, then it really does become too much. I'm so over this show's bull with relationships.

Cylelle

Cylelle

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

I say good riddance, if Kurt's NY-bound I want single and ready to mingle, thank you very much.

If Kurt goes to New York single, I can almost guarantee you he won't be 'ready to mingle' anyway. It's not in Kurt's character to play the field. In my opinion, he's very much a 'one man', 'hearts and flowers' type of guy and if he and Blaine split up then there's going to be a protracted period of getting over it, before he'd even consider dating someone else again.

Besides keeping the boys together gives them a built-in excuse for not going there with gay male PDA since it's going to be hard for them to kiss or hug or touch in any way when they're in two separate locations. That right there is a very good reason for them to keep the boys' relationship in tact.

Edited by Cylelle, May 16, 2012 @ 5:17 AM.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

If Kurt goes to New York single, I can almost guarantee you he won't be 'ready to mingle' anyway. It's not in Kurt's character to play the field. In my opinion, he's very much a 'one man', 'hearts and flowers' type of guy and if he and Blaine split up then there's going to be a protracted period of getting over it, before he'd even consider dating someone else again.

I don't know about that actually, I probably would have said the same a few weeks ago. But when he met one guy who showed interest in him in Lima, he shined under his adoration and jumped into a texting relationship with him. I can very well see Kurt being flustered but excited by all the attention in New York, because there's going to be way more of that in the environment I assume he'll be hanging out in there. I think many small town kids go a bit crazy if they move into a big city and suddenly there's so much of everything and so many chances and things to do (I know I lost my mind when I was an exchange student during high school and all of a sudden I was exotic and cool and boys wanted to hang with me). I'm not saying Kurt needs to become some trollop who sleeps around, but I'd like to see him dating other people. I want that for Rachel too if she breaks up with Finn at some point, although I'd take St. Berry any day as well.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Even though Kurt will be in NY and Blaine in Ohio I don't know if I will continue to watch if they break up. I was happy to see Santana and Britney kiss.

I just told my husband the same thing this morning. I'll probably be out if they break up. I haven't shipped a couple so hard since... Spuffy? Not sure. I will cry real, ugly tears if/when they break up.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I could see Kurt and Blaine breaking up at the end of the season because the writers seem determined to ruin or break up any pairing but Rachel and Finn. And as much as I like them, I wouldn't exactly be crying over it. That being said, I [don’t think that after a breakup, Kurt would be] playing the field in NY [snip]. I don't think it'd necessarily be his being too broken up over the split to date but the truth is, being in "New York" or not, this will still be the same show, written by the same writers on the same network.

Sure, eventually they might introduce someone new for him and it'll have all the shiny new appeal that Klaine once had and yeah some might get behind it and root for it and the first kiss will be a big deal and everyone will cheer and then....they'll become like two good friends, just as they did with Klaine. If anything, they'll be there as background and props to Finchel in NY.

The problem with Blaine and Kurt was never Blaine and Kurt imo. I think Darren and Chris have just as much chemistry as they always did. The problem has been one, the writers deciding to remove one of the key things that made Blaine who he was, i.e. his being the "older", "wiser" gay in exchange for Blaine's supposedly being a year younger than Kurt for whatever reason and two, deciding that once they got them together, fans of the pairing would be satisfied with that and that they didn't need any form of intimacy or PDA. And the truth is, I don't see that changing whether or not they introduce another gay character and have Klaine break-up. [snip]

eta: I forgot to add that despite all the issues in how the writers wrote Klaine this season, the small glimpses we did get into their relationship was still enough to prove to me anyway, that they actually have a pretty awesome relationship. When they had issues, they talked them out, we were given indications, small as they were that they do want each other sexually and I'm just thinking about the short blink-and-you miss it Halloween scene of them in the Props episode.

Seriously, how many of the pairings on this show do we doing something as ridiculously awesome as dressing up as Snooki and The Situation for Halloween, which shows that they do have fun with each other and don't take themselves that seriously. So the point is I do think there is a good relationship there, the writers for whatever reason just chose to not focus on it and instead focus on the annoying hot mess that is Rachel and Finn.

Edited by lleykian54, May 16, 2012 @ 6:30 PM.
Boards on boards

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I don't think that Klaine will break up-at least, not yet. Even though Kurt has been/will go through some big changes in his life, when it comes to love, I don't see him even wanting to see other guys if he splits with Blaine, let alone doing it. Given how long it took for him and Blaine to get close in the first place, if Klaine break up, I doubt that Kurt is going to let alyone that close or love anyone else that much in that way anytime soon. At most, Kurt might date other guys, maybe even develop feelings for one of them, but I doubt that he'll stop loving Blaine. When it comes to Klaine, I believe that the only acceptable option would be if Kurt tried to date, but it's never serious because he never got over Blaine, which could lead to Blaine graduating early and moving to NYC. A young, gay couple in love in NYC could be exciting, groundbreaking and just the booster shot that Klaine needs.

I also found the lack of a Klaine kiss in "Nationals" disappointing and insulting. Klaine may not be comfortable with showing affection in public, but they could have kissed in the Choir Room- a safe zone. Klaine have serenaded each other there, they've danced together there, they've even fought there. Hell, Klaine danced together at Kurt's Junior and Senior proms and those were way more hostile environments than Glee Club. Meanwhile, straight couples in general and Finchel in particular-especially Finchel-slobber all over each other every chance they get, which bugs, to say the least. If RIB don't atone for the appalling lack of physicality where Klaine is concerned on next week's finale, whatever Hell they'll catch they'll deserve, as far as I'm concerned.

About Rachel's love life, I don't think she should be with Finn or Jesse. IMO, Finn & Rachel are too different to last. They may share the same career goals for now, but what happens if Rachel's career goes better than Finn's? How will she reassure him then? More sex? Another wedding? Putting her career on hold-again? If Finn makes it before Rachel, she'll be proud of him on the outside, but chances are, down deep, she'll be jealous. By the same token, Rachel & Jesse are too much alike to last. They'll probably get too bored with each other or kill each other in a matter of months, if not weeks. Either way, I doubt it would last. At this point, the only fictional, teenage heterosexual couple I want to see in this storyline would be Tina/Mike, for these reasons: I heart, them, they could be fun to watch and most importantly, they're not Finchel or St. Berry.

Edited by DollEyes, May 18, 2012 @ 10:33 AM.

Mixi

Mixi

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:56 AM

Nationals made me sad for what could have been with St. Berry. Not only do Lea and Groff have tons of chemistry, I feel like their characters would write their own hilarious storylines. Not only that, but Jesse is just funnier and Jon Groff is a better actor and singer than Cory IMO. Add all that on top of the fact that the writers for this show have made it impossible for me to like Finchel, and I still can't figure out why I'm supposed to root for them, and well, we really could have had it all in St. Berry. Or not, because I do realize it's always been and always will be Finchel, but I can still be sad over what could have been. I always feel like I'm being told to root for Finn and Rachel without being given an actual reason why, and as a viewer it's just wrong and comes across as lazy storytelling. Not only that, but I feel like I'm given reasons to root against them thanks to their weekly contrived drama.

Lately I'm feeling like Kurt and Blaine will break up, and I don't really know what the show plans on doing there. Of course on a well-written show, when a couple takes 10 episodes to get together after first meeting, loses their virginity to each other, there's I-love-you's exchanged and one says something about the other being the love of their life, then their happy, healthy relationship lasts over a year before breaking up because of a big separation - it's kind of expected for them to find their way back to each other after growing and changing a bit. But this is Glee, so all bets are off. Kurt and Blaine could take vows of celibacy and never touch another man. Though that wouldn't be too different from what we see on the show right now anyways, would it?