Glee’s Connection to Disaster: Canaries in a Coal Mine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

54 replies to this topic

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:45 AM

I've noticed a disturbing trend of topics being referenced in episodes of Glee and then, in the ensuing week, being connected with some sort of major scandal or disaster. Two instances is a trend, right? Yeah.

The first, of course, was in "Showmance" where the group did the Kanye cover. Which, of course, was quickly followed by the Kanye debacle at the MTV Video Awards.

The second was in "Preggers," in which Sue Sylvester expressed her weariness with hearing people complain about being in "that tsunami." Aaaand hello American Samoa!

I'm not a superstitious Wolf, but if they reference any kind of canine in tonight's episode, I'm going in my den and not peeking out for at least a couple of weeks.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:02 PM

I think two incidences is a coincidence... double coincidence.

It is creepy though; if something happens this week I might start to believe Nostradamus is writing for Glee.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 2:29 PM

I hardly call an idiot like Kanye who does something stupid all the time a major scandal.

But ok.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

I'll leave it open for now, but I'm not quite seeing it myself.

PhoenixTears

PhoenixTears

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

Ha, I thought this was going to be about the Glee characters' brushes with disasters, such as Emma's connection to Versace.

Edited by PhoenixTears, Oct 2, 2009 @ 9:57 PM.

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

Screw it - they mentioned Bambi, Bambi had dogs in it, I'm going to ground. See you all in a couple weeks.

Edited by Wolf, Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:14 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 7:18 PM

Unless a milkmaid gets trampled by a stampede of deer in the next week, I wouldn't worry too much.

DivineBovine

DivineBovine

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 7:19 AM

connection to Versace

The timing is all off here. I take Emma's character to be at or roughly around the age of the actress (30), and Versace's killer (had he not committed suicide) would have been 40 this year (thank you, Wikipedia), meaning there is no way they were "high school buddies." That, and he wasn't interested in women.

Smartalecjosh12

Smartalecjosh12

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

I got it more to mean that Emma thought Versace was dead because she turned the guy down, not because he was her high school buddy. That would have been random.

DivineBovine

DivineBovine

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 3:08 PM

Right, I get that that's why the guy would be upset, but didn't she say that they were acquaintances from high school? That would have meant they were there at around the same time. Also, someone who isn't interested in women is, I presume, not likely to pursue an online relationship with one, no?

Risti

Risti

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

Didn't Sandy claim to have a long-distance online girlfriend?

Just saying...

McDannie

McDannie

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 2:41 AM

I actually like the Versace joke much more-- even if it doesn't make as much sense-- if interpreted as her actually dating that gay killer guy. Otherwise it comes across a bit more like "silly overreacting woman, equating correlation with causation!" which I think is a way more common and less surreal gag.

Skewing this thread in a slightly different direction, it does seem to be weirdly prescient or on the ball with a lot of points. For their sake they really lucked out having the Kanye number before one of his more recent outbursts and featuring Single Ladies after the incident. And another musical cue which worked out was I'm pretty sure they used the same Hall and Oates number as (500) Days of Summer. And Cheno won her Emmy right before they scheduled her episode.

Also, I think Sandy said he had a long distance girlfriend in Cleveland rather than online. (Not Canada? I'm disappointed.) In hindsight that joke also might work better since I just realized that they're in the same state so I have no idea how far away this hypothetical woman would actually be.

Edit: I figured out the disaster of the week! They brought up the Jamaican bobsled team from Cool Runnings and this is why the US/Chicago lost the 2016 Olympics.

Edited by McDannie, Oct 6, 2009 @ 3:51 AM.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

Edit: I figured out the disaster of the week! They brought up the Jamaican bobsled team from Cool Runnings and this is why the US/Chicago lost the 2016 Olympics.

Ha, that's a good one. I'd buy it if they had sung "Rio" by Duran Duran during the episode.

knottygirl

knottygirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2009 @ 8:25 AM

Hey, there's a tropical storm named Henri, and that's the name of the cough-syrup addicted shop teacher who cut off his thumbs!

storm news

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

Hmmm...seems like it's safe to poke my nose out again.

McDannie

McDannie

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 8:56 PM

So two weeks ago they sang an Avril song and then her marriage ended (or had that already been bubbling for awhile? In any case it was still fresh in the media consciousness by the time the episode aired).

This week... I can't come up with anything. It's not like there's a zombie Nixon running around since they alluded to him opening US relations with mainland China....

Does Sue's allusion to Prop 15 about marriage (but not intimacy) with dogs bode well or poorly for WA Ref 71 passing? (I hope that it'd be a disaster for the "reject" side which misrepresents it as a marriage issue at all.)

DivineBovine

DivineBovine

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

Figgins' list of balloon songs......BALLOON BOY?

I got nothin'....

MisMichie

MisMichie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 10:14 PM

Another impeccable timing from the show:

From episode thread:

Did anyone else find it incredibly ironic that all the controversy leading up to this episode was about "able-bodied" actors playing disabled characters, yet they cast an actress that actually has Down's Syndrome to play Becky (and also Sue's sister?)...

News leading up to today:
http://news.yahoo.co...isible_disabled
It's also been on Entertainment shows, and today there was an article in The Toronto Star about the same topic.

It's like they prophecized the media's cry for inclusivity of disability (as in, disabled actors), which follows naturally after having at least two portrayals of disability on the show (well, almost two...we no longer have the stutterer).

McDannie

McDannie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2009 @ 3:52 AM

Well I still interpret Tina's issue as reflecting her problems with social anxiety which could be problematic. (And I sort of sympathize since sometimes now I also stammer quite a bit by accident even if in the past I sometimes would selectively play it up.)

I still don't find it particularly egregious or anything since the whole episode, including the Downs Syndrome aspect, was positively reflecting the concerns even if they weren't represented by a lead actor who shares like experiences.

Like lately there's also been a bit of a kerfluffle about whether or not Chris Colfer is out or not? Now it's not exactly the same situation since for that to be true there would be people who are angry that they cast a straight actor who's pretending to be gay and thus taking away a role that hypothetically could be portrayed by a gay actor. ...Now that I think about it I've mostly just seen people prima facie assuming that he is gay and that any coyness or ambiguity regarding that is the fault of the network. (And incidentally, I heard many of these wheelchair commentary things cite Fox News as having been the primary outlet which is weird given that Glee is run on their broadcast sibling... I can't tell if this is the opposite of corporate synergy or if they're sort of going with "any publicity is good publicity")

That's a bit of a tangent. And I'm continuing on one but the Prince of Persia movie seems to blatantly be casting caucasian actors-- including that one awesome but incredibly pale sidekick actress from Quantum of Solace-- as "Persian" which relates to this whole thing about not providing jobs to actors who are closer fits to the characters.

Hrm, that was long but actually my reason for revisiting this topic was that offhand mention of Glenn Beck. Since I assume nothing is likely to change in the next 24 hours I was reminded of this one Onion parody video that seems everywhere on the net: "Victim In Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck" http://www.theonion....al_car_accident

And side note, Prop 71 passed! Actual gay marriage didn't work out in Maine though. Sort of mixed results there...

StarrieEyedKat

StarrieEyedKat

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

This isn't really a connection to disaster, but this has been making email rounds, and I just got it.

The original Cheerio's routine!

crogos

crogos

Video Archivist

• Interests:Besides reading anything I can get my hands on, I enjoy watching House, Supernatural, The Office, My Boys, Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol and The Amazing Race.<br /><br />I also play tennis and follow the EPL, the San Antonio Spurs and the Toronto Raptors.

Posted Nov 25, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

This isn't really a connection to disaster, but this has been making email rounds, and I just got it.

The original Cheerio's routine!

My Mind is BLOWN. Amazing!!!

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

Okay, so the series creator is Ryan Murphy, and a fan-favorite secondary character is named Brittany (no last name). And now Brittany Murphy is dead. Dead.

When will the world ever wake up to the menace of Glee?

Coconutyummy

Coconutyummy

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 3:06 PM

Just had to go and name-drop that sweater...

Top Brit Designer Alexander McQueen Commits Suicide

nosyrosie

nosyrosie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

responding to McDanie -
I suspect Chris might be gay, he kind of seemed so in his initial audition (I saw that tape and it was spectacular). But if he's not, I think that's perfectly okay. I personally don't think that's so bad; it's like gay actors playing straight characters - perfectly fine. It's a little more questionable to have people of completely different heritage and even skin color playing characters of color - that I find extremely annoying and awful.

cruiscinlan

cruiscinlan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 3:55 PM

Not only did Alexander McQueen commit suicide, but Capt. Phil Harris of Deadliest Catch died of a stroke this week.

It's a sad, sad time for the Hummel family, I'm sure.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

Kurt's new line of tasteful black Valentine's Day garb now available at better men's stores everywhere. The Hummel family appreciates your condolences, and are bonding in their shared grief and lack of romantic companionship today.

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 5:41 PM

Ooh, good catches. Y'all are at the top of your games. We'll bring this dark truth to the world's attention one way or another.

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 1:56 PM

Good lord, now even the Glee promos are inflicting horror on the world. We get shots of the Glee kids getting bullied (including by having drinks thrown in their faces) and...some poor girl in South Hadley takes her own life after being bullied (including by having soda thrown at her).

I'm seriously hnyah, this isn't funny. Can't anything be done?

Edited by Wolf, Mar 31, 2010 @ 1:57 PM.

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

"Jesse St. James"? Do I really have to say it?

Damn you, Glee! Why did you have to target poor Sandra Bullock? Couldn't the character have been named "Pratt Spencer" or "Michael Bretts"?

Wolf

Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

TO: Universe
RE: Brett Michael

I didn't mean it!