The Joy Behar Show on HLN

• Please log in to reply

767 replies to this topic

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Right, four days a week, but this week she just did Tue, Wed & Thu - that's only three.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Love the shows so far, I love Lewis Black and Darrell. They seemed to enjoy her too. I was upset since she did interview him before on her other show and should have read his book. When Gore asked how he came about being so good at doing peoples voices he said his mother was very good at it. Joy said if your mother was raving crazy manic you would pick that up? He said I am sure I did. His mother was an abuser and clinicaly crazy and he has suffered many years coming to terms with the torture. I re watched Friday I thought the show has been so good. I like Judy Gold so I am all in. I will give up her other show if this lasts.

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Exactly. In all the PR I have seen since the announcement of the show in June, they have said that the show would be a Monday-Thursday show. I haven't watched any other show on Current, but I think I recall seeing that all of their Friday primetime shows are usually encores from earlier in the week (though the convention coverage may have have changed that for the past couple weeks).

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

If no one else worked on Labor Day why would Joy? Monday - Thursday seems pretty standard these days.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

All I was saying that for her premiere week, it would have been nice to have a Friday show since their week began Tuesday, and then they could have discussed the President's speech that happened Thursday night.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

I don't know if we're supposed to use this old HLN place to post about her new show, but I couldn't find a new one for "Say Anything." Tonight's show is going to be a rerun from the other night where Joy and Meredith Viera have a nice chat. I thought it was a really good interview and obvious good feeling between the two.

The second interview broke my heart. Bob Balaban and Stockard Channing are involved in The Exonerated about falsely convicted people on death row who were exonerated. One of the women who was freed was on with them. I found it to be a very good interview by Joy - she just let the woman tell her story.

The Joy on this show is so much more charming and engaged than on the View. I hope this show is doing well - it's not listed on my DVR after next week, so I'm a little worried...

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Why was there a guest host last night? This is what, the second or third week of the show & Joy is taking time off already?

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

One of the women who was freed was on with them. I found it to be a very good interview by Joy - she just let the woman tell her story.

That was an interesting segment. At first, when Joy asked about the crime which landed her on death row, the woman, Sunny Jacobs, spoke very haltingly and was difficult to understand. I thought maybe her years in solitary had eroded her communication skills. Then the subject switched to how she resolved to exonerate herself and get herself out of prison and all the work it took to do so, and she totally changed. She was articulate and exuberant and it was obvious she just no longer wanted to talk about how she ended up in prison. The process concerning how she got out, that she's more than happy to discuss.

Good to see Stockard Channing again, haven't seen her since The West Wing. But mercy, she has had some "dental work" done, as Kathy Griffin would say, hasn't she?

Ann and Nancy Wilson must be around 60 at this point. Rock on, ladies!

I'm liking Say Anything better than the HLN show and it's good to have Joy back in her natural habitat. But why did she miss Thursday's show? A "well-deserved day off"? The show's been on for two weeks!

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

Attention Tyne Daly fans (for whom TV has not been the same since Judging Amy got cancelled) Joy is going to have Tyne on the show tonight. This should be great fun since they both have such infectious laughs and are both so smart (IMO). This could be as good as the interview she did with Malcolm McDowell on the other show....

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Joy on her own show is an entirely different person.

I've been watching this for about a month and I'm really liking it. You'd never know Joy from The View could have such an engaging show if you'd only seen here there.

Even me, the big ol' blue state leftie, is getting a little sick of the politics, though. Well, it's a hot election, and the station is owned by Al Gore, so I'll give it another week, but it would be nice to have a break after that. Current events, a non-political guest every now and then... I'd like that.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

When Regis ws on he said something about being a co-host to being alone and he asked her what she preferred and she said what do you think?!!
She has had some great people on and I have enjoyed her interviews so much.

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Now that Joy has another show, she seems to contribute less and less on The View. Guess she doesn't feel the need to compete with her cohosts since she can say anything she wants on her own show!

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Is anyone else's cable showing that Joy's show isn't on next week? Mon and Wed are some other show and Tues and Thurs are "To be announced"

I'm really enjoying her so much more on this show and I think the political will die down soon. The early shows were a nice mixture of one-on-one interviews and pop culture...

Does anyone know the name of the handsome white-haired, blue-eyed priest that Joy has on her show along with Rabbi Schmuly Boteach and a woman religion professor? I was trying to look up more information about him as he seems to have a real sense of humor...

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 3:58 AM

Is anyone else's cable showing that Joy's show isn't on next week?

My guide shows new shows all week, though the entire Current grid is loaded with "To Be Announced" in more than half its time slots. I wouldn't be surprised to see a week of reruns or pre-emptions soon. I suspect Joy's contract allows for quite a bit of off-time.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

Does anyone know the name of the handsome white-haired, blue-eyed priest that Joy has on her show along with Rabbi Schmuly Boteach and a woman religion professor? I was trying to look up more information about him as he seems to have a real sense of humor...

Father Edward Beck. He's apparently affiliated with ABC.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

She used to have him on her other show also and he is funny, he looks right out of central casting.

Can not stand that Rabbi Schmuly though just one of the reasons being he was the good friend of Michael Jackson.

Edited by athousandclowns, Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:12 AM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Father Edward Beck, the Catholic priest? He formerly was 1/2 of the "God Squad" on ABC.

When I looked him up to respond (prior to reading the previous post), I noticed they said something about a "new" God Squad. He always appeared younger than the previous rabbi who partnered with him so that makes sense. Sounds like he recently obtained a new partner for those segments.

They also mentioned he apparently does a weekly mass on ABC Family on Sunday mornings, IIRC.

Edited by diydude, Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:17 PM.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

I thought it was interesting during tonight's show that Joy said when she was with "that other network," she had to do shows on topics she had no interest in, like Casey Anthony. So I had thought her show was canceled, but maybe she just wanted out rather than do an 84th show about Casey Anthony.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I noticed that too, and Chuck Nice started doing his impression of Nancy Grace 'Tot Mom!' was very funny. I'm glad she finally addressed it, even though it was during the story about the Maine news anchors who quit on air.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I have several shows backing up on my DRV because of being out of town so started with Jeremy Irons who I have been in love with for years. It did not disappoint and Joy is having great people on.
This is truly Joy's place to be! Loose fascinating not scripted blue card crap just like having intellegent conversions. How lucky is she? Joy saying "Damage" being her fav movie of his....I could not agree more. Hot Hot Hot.
Then Kevin Nealon love love love. It was again easy interesting story telling. No rapid fire questions like her other show.

Edited by athousandclowns, Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:48 PM.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

I so agree with you, athousandclowns. I wish the station would advertise a little more so people would be aware of her new show. There's no comparison to the old one on HLN,or of course the View. She is actively engaged with her guests and the time spent with them goes so fast. She is right up there with Rosie O'Donnell and Dick Cavett as far as I'm concerned, in getting people to just sit down and have a chat. Of course, it doesn't hurt that she has read the book or seen the movie they are there to talk about, plus many other performances from the guest's past.

The Jeremy Irons interview was lovely - he is SO serious - but she got him to really talking. Very enjoyable. The other night she had Mandy Patinkin, whom I had always assumed was hard to work with and somewhat difficult to be around, and he came off as quite charming. They had several nice laughs and talked at length about Homeland. Great interview...

If you are a fan of the View because of Joy - really the only one I like on there - give her show a shot during the holidays. She'll probably be in reruns for awhile and you can catch up with her technique...

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Tonight HLN is airing the Sandy benefit Joy hosted Monday night. Larry David & a bunch of other comics did stand up. I think it's on at 9pm, not Joy's usual time slot.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I too often have a backed-up DVR, but this show is worth recording. So much better than her HLN show, a nice mixture of news and pop culture.

I love it when she has John Fugelsang on the Fame Stream Media panel, he comes out with so many great lines! My favorite, when discussing Honey Boo Boo: "Watch Honey Boo Boo now, or be carjacked by her in 10 years in person!"

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

They took the 6pm slot from Joy & gave it to Jennifer Granholm. My DVR is too busy most days at 9p & 1a, so I won't be seeing this show too often.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

It appears that Jennifer is on at 3 pm and Joy still is on at 6 and 10 in my neck of the woods and Joy has John Fugelsang hosting Wednesday and I like him.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

You must be on the west coast then?

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Yes braggtastic I am in California an although there appears to be no changes on my cable schedule does not mean it won't happen without notice.

Edited by athousandclowns, Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:42 PM.

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

I figured the show would be in reruns for these two holiday weeks and that new shows would start once The View returned on Monday 01-07-13. I just looked at current.com and the schedule does show new guest-hosted shows for Wed/Thur @3PM PT. The re-air time has moved from 12AM PT to 7PM PT. Frankly, I liked the 12AM PT re-air timeslot. Very few conflicts for recording at that hour, or I could actually watch "live" before dozing off.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

Whatever the schedule, it seems like all the shows will be gone by Spring. Current is being bought by Al Jezeera.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

I wonder what Joy will do and say about the sale of the network. She's on with Jay Leno tonight. If it isn't a rerun then she might discuss it with Jay.