The Joy Behar Show on HLN

• Please log in to reply

767 replies to this topic

EarthToJane1999

EarthToJane1999

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 8:13 PM

I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying her show. She seems much more relaxed and comfortable than when she subs for Larry King.

This is definitely going to replace the View on my DVR. Makes realize just how much Joy holds her tongue on The View, though.

SassyCrumpet

SassyCrumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

I missed Joy's first show, but caught the second. I enjoyed it quite a bit even if it seemed a bit uneven and rough around the edges. However, with that said, I found Joy enaging , charming, and funny in this venue. I wish her all the success in the world so that she can take a page out of Kathy Griffin's book and say to BW at The View, "Suck it, Barbara!"

Although I've read many a comment on the boards about her, I have neither seen nor heard Ann Coulter before last night. I was on the computer at the time and all I could think was how annoying her voice was - sort of that voice that I associate with a snobbish character - drawn out vowels, clenched back teeth, expected her to say, "daahhhling" to Joy at some point. UGH!

I hope they don't put her on at 11 PM - that's when I'm watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report...horrors! I'd like to have Joy on at 10 PM and have 2 solid hours of fun news, and news fun!

Go, Joy!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:14 PM

Did anyone else get the second Jeff Ross segment Joy mentioned? We had an extended ad break w/a local news report thrown in the middle, then Michael Moore.

kim7676

kim7676

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

Did anyone else get the second Jeff Ross segment Joy mentioned?

Yea, and he was pretty funny. He talked about Joan Rivers, Palin and Mackenzie Phillips.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:36 PM

I hope Joy dumps The View and pours her energy into this show.

After seeing them both, I think Joy dumped The View a while ago - she just shows up and cashes the check. I don't know if it's because I'm comparing it to her day job but I enjoyed this show far more than I thought I would. Joy was really quite good and had interesting guests that she actually let talk. She didn't get that from her day job. Heh.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

We got screwed out of the final Rabbi segment too. Why is TW doing this?

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

I am sorry BRAGGTASTIC for the interruptions. This is why Joy's show needs to get more reruns rather than the Nancy Grace show.

Edited by Malibu65, Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:53 PM.

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

We're in the New England market and also lose 5 minutes at mid show and at the end at the 9:00 hour. Our station goes to a local news update.

Interestingly, these breaks are eliminated at the midnight rerun, and we receive the entire show at that time.

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 12:20 AM

Joy was The Daily Show and explained that on her new show, she gets to interrupt herself. I think her show is great and she gets a nice mix of guests. Liked the round table about the Polanski situation. Even Gloria Alred made sense and wasn't too far OTT. Michael Moore is really pissed off at the Dems who voted against the public option in the finance committee. Watch out.

Canaduck

Canaduck

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 2:52 AM

Michael Moore seemed really depressed tonight.

I wonder if Joy has set a private objective where, once it's reached, she will dump The View altogether. Like, for instance, if HLN renews her show for a second season. It has to be tiring doing both shows each day. Also, it was pretty obvious tonight that Whoopi's rape-rape quote was missing during the panel discussion on the Roman Polanski case so Joy won't have complete freedom as long as she's tied to ABC.

The off-camera laughing didn't bug me as much this time because there were so many laughing it was like there was a small studio audience. Is it typical of HLN not to have audiences for these types of shows?

Kathy Griffin is on tomorrow...er, tonight. Yay!

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

I am sooo looking forward to Kathy Griffin tonight. I sincerely hope Kathy goes there talking about the View. I also hope that Joy continues to bring an entertaining, informative show to the airwaves and that she can finally exit the View. Perhaps someone will even get iTunes to pick it up for a podcast. That's how I get Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann since I changed providers and MSNBC is not carried. Bummer. Clusterfox remains though. I do not watch the View anymore - for any reason. The show is completely toxic and Joy, I believe knows that. You can see on her show that she does her homework; comes prepared with cogent questions; and injects just enough snark to keep it light. She was a delight on TDS. Anyone who can make Ann Coulter seem human is a great interviewer IMHO.

Edited by crystalsage, Oct 2, 2009 @ 12:20 PM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 2:05 PM

Also, it was pretty obvious tonight that Whoopi's rape-rape quote was missing during the panel discussion on the Roman Polanski case so Joy won't have complete freedom as long as she's tied to ABC.

Yes it was obvious but I don't think it had anything to do with ABC. I believe Joy wants to keep her show separate from the View. I don't blame her. It is nice to have a panel to discuss in a rational manner the Polanski case without getting so much gibberish and misinformation. Besides, the topic on Joy's show was Polanski finally being arrested; not whether he committed a rape-rape.

Edited by Malibu65, Oct 2, 2009 @ 2:06 PM.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 4:16 PM

This show is totally enjoyable. She has good panelists and guests, she keeps the flow going yet doesn't seem terribly rushed and she uses the right amount humor in the right places, unlike on the View where she derails conversations.

Amazing that someone who is not a lot of fun on the View can be so much fun on her own show. I guess ownership really changes an attitude. It is kinda cute the way the ads for her show mention her as Emmy-winning. That happened just in the nick of time.
I wonder how many people have seen Joy on HLN and in turn watched the View as a result.

Does anyone know how her ratings are?

ymmv

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

So who'll sit in for Larry King now?

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 6:27 PM

Does anyone know how her ratings are?

Check out tvbythenumbers.com, (specifically, this category). But, here's the results so far

Day: P2+ (25-54 demo) (35-64 demo)
Tuesday: 559,000 viewers (215,000) (321,000)
Wednesday: 566,000 viewers (208,000) (280,000)
Thursday: 542,000 viewers (149,000) (225,000)

It's not that close to the numbers its lead-in, Nancy Grace gets (which have ranged from around 850k to 790k these past few days), but based on HLN standards, I don't think it's doing all that badly. Then, again, I don't have any clue what expectations HLN/CNN has for the show.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 11:18 PM

I was surprised she had a pretaped interview with Kathy (loved it) and then a repeat with Bette.

What is it that Joy thinks she is entitled to a 4 day work week on her 2 shows?

Sigh

It makes me want to throttle her because she is up against Larry and Rachel and many others - that do daily weekday shows.

Nice gig, Joy, but annoying, to me anyway.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

I have always liked Joy and enjoyed when she sat in for LK. I think she is now going to shine. My husband has even watched with me something he will not do "with her other program" The pace is good, guests have been really good and it is on at 6 and 9 for me. My cable menu says she is one Saturday and Sunday too (listed as new)
Way to go Joy!!!!!!!!

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 3:31 AM

It makes me want to throttle her because she is up against Larry and Rachel and many others - that do daily weekday shows.

I don't know about Larry King, but Maddow is one hard working woman. As much as I enjoy Joy, this four day week is crap and I'd chose Maddow almost any day against Joy. I had been recording this but I'm not going to get too attached. She needs to work a little harder than she does on her day job (also a four day week) to keep this show against her competition. After watching her for years on The View, I'm not sure she has that kind of work in her.

musica

musica

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

I watched Joy's show again last night. It was very good again. I do not mind her 4 day work week if this is what she feels she needs to do everything she loves, including but not limited to her "stand-up." I am not sure if it will hurt her or not. I like Larry, too. I do not watch the girl very often. My favorite is Anderson Cooper, though. I guess Joy will have to see if this schedule works against her competition. If it does, more power to her.

On last night's show though, I was shocked to find Kathy Griffin may have been child molested by her brother. To me, she was definitely harrassed psychologically if her brother was "whispering sweet nothings in her ear." Kathy says she doesn't remember if he did anything or not. I feel badly for Kathy this happened to her. I know she makes fun of a lot of people, but I think she is a very good person, and when talking about the situation with her brother, I could see the pain in her eyes. Bless Kathy....

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

I was surprised she had a pretaped interview with Kathy (loved it) and then a repeat with Bette.

I got the feeling the show is always taped, not live. The day she had Ann Coulter on, Huffington Post had a clip of it posted that afternoon before it had aired. And I don't see "LIVE" written on the screen, as I do with other live shows.

I love this show. She has a warm, conversational style, like a funny Charlie Rose.

Hamhock96

Hamhock96

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 1:02 PM

She's like all the rest; no one can finish a sentence. Noisy and stupid.

sweetbuddy

sweetbuddy

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

I am pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed Joy's first week of shows too. I am generally a Joy fan, but I like her show even more than I thought that I would. It's a great mix of politics, entertainment, current events, comedy, seriousness, etc. Go Joy!

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 2:20 AM

I was surprised at how much this show didn't suck!

joanie09

joanie09

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 1:34 PM

So who'll sit in for Larry King now?

Probably Ryan Meecrest, Larry seems to think alot of him.

DesignIsLove

DesignIsLove

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 2:41 PM

The guys guffawing off-camera are quite unprofessional.

I really like it. It sets a different tone for the show.

I like it too. The show has a laid back tone so it works for it.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

I don't mind the laughter from the crew. It is not a show that wants to be seen as "so serious" all the time. I like there is humor from Joy and the panelists. This show instills some humor and yet can deliver some serious topics. There are plenty of other shows that are purely serious and that is why I don't care for them too much.

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

I don't mind the laughter from the crew.

I wouldn't mind it either if it seemed genuine but it doesn't - it seems forced and obligatory. Frequently it's in response to jokes that just aren't that funny. Her jokes on the View often fall flat and get hardly any laughter from the audience or the other panelists.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 2:13 AM.

SassyCrumpet

SassyCrumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

An African-American woman would be offended by the term Queen of Spades because "spade" has been used as a derogatory term for African-Americans.

Hope this was helpful!

Edited by SassyCrumpet, Oct 4, 2009 @ 8:24 PM.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 7:16 AM

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 2:12 AM.