I thought her first show went well.

The hour went fast.

Love Bette.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

I really liked the show.

Loved that Joy and her guests were prepared for the "Hot Topics." Very thought-provoking. Enjoyed the variety and did not feel short changed on the length of the segments.

Ashley4

Ashley4

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

I agree with the above posts. I really liked the show and I hope that it continues. Tomorrow's night guest is Ann Coulter (I think...). That should be REALLY good.

SuzeECutie

SuzeECutie

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 10:50 PM

This is what the View's Hot Topics should look like.

scotch83

scotch83

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 10:53 PM

Go Joy! We love you! I know your show will go on for many years and be a huge success.

Edited by scotch83, Sep 29, 2009 @ 10:59 PM.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

I was as startled by Jeanane Garafolo's relatively low-key performance as I was by seeing Bay Buchanan's new face (I don't typically watch CNN and I didn't know that bitch had gotten stretched to within an inch of her life).

Overall, it was really enjoyable, but I wonder whether I will be able to forgo Rachel Maddow for it.

Decoda

Decoda

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:23 PM

Overall, it was really enjoyable, but I wonder whether I will be able to forgo Rachel Maddow for it.

Not me, thank goodness for the HLN multi-repeats i watched it later. Wouldn't watch if there was something besides Dancing With the Stars on in the timeslot.

I guess the number of right winger guests, which she had no comments in opposition to, is in line with the HLN modus operandi. I mean I believe Glenn Beck used to be in this timeslot! Surprises me I guess, I thought she was a bit more of a lefty, that she might have an OPINION, since she is a host, not a journalist.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

I only saw the second half in rerun. Too bad there's not an even later rerun. I loved the not-so-subtle dig at BW never retiring and having to be carried out "no names, no names!"

Edited by braggtastic, Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:04 AM.

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

Loved Bette Midler's comment that "some TV personalities will go on until they have to be dragged feet first off the screen", but of course she "wasn't naming any names". HA! Wonder if BaWa took that one personally - she should have!

ETA: Great minds....braggtastic, great minds!

Edited by Tunia, Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:07 AM.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 1:00 AM

Good show. Topics seemed to be well covered, good variety of guests and the pace was pretty good.

Based on this show, Joy seems to be more in a moderator mode, letting her guests do most of the talking. I think if her future guests are more controversial, Joy will step it up with more of her opinions. She did get her point across several times without being too obtrusive.

She did well for a first show. And thank goodness for the second airing and dvr's.

Andrea Lee

Andrea Lee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:39 AM

I really was surprised by how good this show was, especially for the first episode. Garoffalo and Buchanen were GREAT together! I loved that Joy took a Larry-King-ish backseat, but kept the flow going well and interjected her own position in an unobtrusive and lighthearted way. She wasn't rabid, she wasn't uninformed, she wasn't lazy. It was 100X better than her other gig.

I am very happy to see that she has layed off the pre-written lame jokey stuff. She needs to find her groove still in that department, but it looks promising!

weedgrl

weedgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:50 AM

Just watched Joy's first show. Thought it was fast moving, good guests and Joy kept it all moving, all by herself ;). Liked her ending monologue and wonder if that is going to be a daily thing.

Ann Coulter will be on tonight, the two of them are always fun together. I think it's looking good for Joy. If the show doesn't work it won't be due to Joy.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 11:53 AM

I'm sorry now I missed the first half of the show. I couldn't find it on itunes, but does anyone know if the show is available online anywhere?

I think I'm going to give up recording Conan in order to record this show on nights where I'm already recording two things at 9pm.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:47 PM

I have always enjoyed Joy when she filled in for Larry King so I figured if she brought that over to her own show it would be just as good. She was. I liked it and look forward to watching it. I loved the topic of Polanski and thinking THAT is how a discussion of that man should have been done.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:48 PM

Too bad there's not an even later rerun.

I know, hopefully the show will get buzz and HLN will add more times. I missed most of the premiere because 9 and 12 have too many conflicts.

Joy's website has clips and a transcript up so far.

Edited by Morbs, Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:54 PM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 1:13 PM

Too bad there's not an even later rerun.

I agree. There are like three reruns of Nancy Grace. Geez.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 3:02 PM

Thanks for the transcript link, Morbs.

osowolf

osowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 6:01 PM

WOO HOO! I loved it! I have missed Joy since giving up watching her other gig. It's so nice to be able to watch her again without shrieking and muttering in the background.........

Really liked the first half hour. Even though we had people of opposing viewpoints, everyone was able to speak without major interruption and do it in a calm fashion. I liked the back and forth banter. Bette Midler was fun. I felt like I was eavesdropping on two chummy girlfriends who were out drinking martinis.

Kudos Joy. I look forward to tonight's show!

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

I really enjoyed the premiere and I am definitely going to give this show a chance.

But those people that were laughing from behind the camera - please, spare us the pretense that Joy's pre-scripted jokes are so funny that she has her entire crew in stitches. Most viewers are not that gullible.

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

Goodbye View; Hello Joy! I loved the segment with Ann Coulter. Coulter came off not so much as an angry beyotch, more like a likeable dotty relative. (I can't believe I just said that.) Victoria Gotti was a riot - unintentionally. Loved her hair. Looked like a giant doll's wig was plopped on her head. "Oh Daddy made a choice to join the mob; it was his decision. It is what it is." Joy shot her down with a certain amount of finesse which made it even funnier because Gotti did.not.Get.it.

Duckie30ca

Duckie30ca

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2009 @ 9:57 PM

Goodbye View; Hello Joy!

Yup, I totally agree. What a refreshing change to see an intelligent discussion where people actually listened and the host moderated!

Canaduck

Canaduck

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:36 AM

I only "sampled" the first show from what I'd taped but watched all of tonight except for most of the Victoria Gotti segments because anything mob-related makes me yawn. Joy seemed more relaxed tonight and her guests seemed relaxed as well. I was trying to eat supper when Bill Maher was on and he kept me laughing. Fortunately, I didn't choke.

The guys guffawing off-camera are quite unprofessional.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 7:50 AM

It does make me mad to hear such intelligent discourse about the Polanski case on this show vs what happens on the View trainwreck where facts are kind of out the window.

I haven't checked the credits, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the laughers is Frank Gallo. He worked (works?) behind the scenes at The Daily Show and his laugh is very identifiable.

Alias Fanatic

Alias Fanatic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 8:20 AM

The guys guffawing off-camera are quite unprofessional.

I really like it. It sets a different tone for the show.

musica

musica

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 8:57 AM

I watched Joy's show last night, and I really like it. I thought Joy did a great job, and she looked really pretty, too.

My favorite part was her interaction with Ann Coulter. I thought is was terrific, and it was nice they both obviously disagree but they could find humor in each other.

Brava, Joy!

Tanya1959

Tanya1959

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

Considering The View has 3 "Comedians" on the panel you would think there would be much humor interspersed within the hour, but NO. Now we have Joy's HNL show 1 "Comedian" and a lot of humor interspersed in the hour. Go figure.

I find this show intelligent, I'm happily surprised.

Hope she continues to do well and makes that her new home. Also wondering if Star Jones ever has a project to plug if Joy and her will mend fences and we'll see them together again?

Edited by Tanya1959, Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:45 AM.

Yolanda

Yolanda

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 1:51 PM

Good for Joy. Only 2 eps. and this show is already the antidote for those who are frustrated by the idiocy on The View.

This is the show that Rosie O'Donnell people expected her to have, and could have had, if she wasn't so unhinged.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 5:31 PM

I have watched the first two episodes and loved them both. Joy is a wonderful host, she's intelligent and yet the show doesn't take itself too seriously. I like the combination of talk on real issue yet with a hint of humor thrown in. Bill Maher was a delight, he and Joy had a great rapport going on.

osowolf

osowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

I know it's only been two shows, but I feel like Joy is trying to create that "cocktail party with revolving interesting guests" feel. I think it's working. I actually found Ann Coulter human last night! And I would love for Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Reilly to take her up on her invitation to come on and talk with her.

I was mesmorized by Victoria Gotti's hair. Is it going to stay on? Will it flop to one side? Does she not look in the mirror and adjust before she goes on? Her interview was interesting. Joy poked a little hard at times. Especially when she would compare her childhood and family choices to Victoria's parents. And I don't think Victoria liked it very much when Joy said her Aunt Julia thinks the Gotti's make Italians look bad.

Awww. Meredith and Matt congradulating Joy on her show. I love Meredith. Go on the show!

Guffaw man needs to simmer down.

Madame Du Barry

Madame Du Barry

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

Edited by Madame Du Barry, Mar 3, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.